Apartment 311

By _ntsha

Four strangers from different walks of life meet on a cruise and spend an unforgettable week together. All of... More

About
Ch | 1
Ch | 2
Ch | 3
Ch | 4
Ch | 5
Ch | 6
Ch | 7
Ch | 8
Ch | 9
Ch | 10
Ch | 11
Ch | 12
Ch | 13
Ch | 14
Ch | 15
Ch | 16
Ch | 17
Ch | 18
Ch | 19
Ch | 21
Ch | 22
Ch | 23
Ch | 24
Ch | 25
Ch | 26
Ch | 27
Ch | 28
Ch | 29
Ch | 30
Ch | 31
Ch | 32
Ch | 33
Ch | 34
Ch | 35
Ch | 36
Ch | 37
Ch | 38
Ch | 39
Ch | 40
Ch | 41
Ch | 42
Ch | 43
Ch | 44
Ch | 45
Ch | 46
Ch | 47
Ch | 48
Ch | 49
Ch | 50
Ch | 51
Ch | 52
Ch | 53
Ch | 54
Ch | 55
Ch | 56
Ch | 57
Ch | 58
Ch | 59
Ch | 60
Ch | 61
Ch | 62
Ch | 63
Ch | 64
Ch | 65
Ch | 66
Ch | 67
Ch | 68
Ch | 69
Ch | 70
Ch | 71
Ch | 72
Ch | 73
Ch | 74
Ch | 75
Ch | 76
Ch | 77
Ch | 78
Ch | 79
Ch | 80
Ch | 81
Ch | 82
Ch | 83
Ch | 84
Ch | 85
Ch | 86
Ch | 87
Ch | 88
Ch | 89
Ch | 90
Ch | 91
Ch | 92
Ch | 93
Ch | 94
Ch | 95
Ch | 96
Ch | 97
Ch | 98
The End

Ch | 20

243 17 21
By _ntsha

Brooklyn Noelle Brankovich

Chapter Twenty: "Hiring Immediately"

I didn't end up practicing with my mother. For the meantime, I was done with dance - err, at least the regular practices and recitals.

When I said I was moving out, I meant it. I'd had enough. Besides, I'm twenty-two anyway, most people my age were working, in committed relationships, and/or out of their parents' house.

After a long day of apartment hunting, I was ready to give up. I didn't know shit about shit. All I knew was I wanted to be far away, and comfortable.

I went to check my email after creating an account on a job-seeking site.

As I let the page reload, my eyes contacted an unread email. Intrigued, I clicked. The subject line said:

CA apartment w/ job

Hmm. I read on.

Good evening Brooklyn,

I am Courtney Sinclair, secretary of Z.A. Co. of California.
I'm reaching out to you because we've stumbled across your profiles and think you'd be a great fit for our team!
This job comes with living arrangements shall you accept. We understand you may need time to think about it, but this offer won't be on the table for long.
Further job details will be discussed once you reply. If you have any questions, reply to this email.
To accept this offer, call the number listed below.

Best wishes

I reread the message and then pondered the thought.

This could be a once in a lifetime offer! But what if it's a scam? What's the worst that could happen, I go to Cali and lose some money? Have to fly back home and look for another job and place to stay?

Because of the current situation I was dying to get out of, I was inclined to accept.
In need of just a little more info, I replied to the email with some vital questions. It was late so I figured she wouldn't reply until the morning which gave me time to sleep on things.

After a shower, I went to the kitchen and asked where my breakfast was.

"Sorry, honey, your mom never gave me your order," Sutton said to me. I looked at Mother who was drinking a cup of coffee while reading something on her iPad at the breakfast nook.
The straight ponytail swept my shoulder as I turned back to face Sutton.

"What will be, hm? Toast and grapefruit?" he asked me, smiling warmly. I scrunched my face as he took my nose.

Exhaling, l said, "No. I think I'll have waffles and Turkey bacon, please."

"Coming right up," he grinned, shooing me away so I could give him space.

I walked over to Mom, figuring I'd sort things out before they got any worse.

"Good morning," I said to her politely.

"Morning," she snarled, not taking her eyes off the ebook she read.

I huffed and stomped my foot. "Mom, just because I'm moving out doesn't mean we have to be like this. I'm sorry for how I acted on the cruise, but you've been really pushy. I'm twenty-two, not twelve. I need-"

My iPhone rang. It was a phone call from a California number. At first I didn't answer because I didn't know who it could be, then I realized it was most likely Courtney from the email.

"Hello?" I answered the call.

"Hi. Is this Brooklyn?"

"Yes. Who's this?" I excused myself from the kitchen and ran upstairs to lock myself in my bedroom.

"Courtney Sinclair from Z.A. Co., the one who sent the email, how are you?"

I lit up, excited that this call was happening.

"Um, I'm great, actually. I'm glad you called."

"Did you have any more questions?"

"Not that I can think of right now," I let out.

"Good. I hoped I answered the rest in the email."

"Yes, you did. So, I guess I'm just wondering how legit this is? It seems so random."

She giggled softly. "Ms.Brankovich, I can assure you this is fully legitimate. We're offering you a place to stay while you work with us. I'm sending the address and job description right now. Did you get it?"

I refreshed my laptop a few times and saw her message. "Yes I got it," I said to her while scanning the page.

"If you're still unsure, I know your parents are professionals, you can bring them and we could discuss-" I cut her off at the mention of my parents getting involved. I'm grown and can handle it on my own.

"No, that's not necessary." I paused to think.

You know what, fuck it. I'm going to take the job and move to Cali.

"Courtney," I called her name.

"Yes?"

"I accept."

"Perfect!" She squealed and I heard her typing something up. "How soon would you like to move in?"

"Immediately," I declared, slamming my MacBook shut.

"Perfect. See you soon."

***

"Hey, Brook," Dad spoke to me after swallowing his glass of Pepsi.

"Hey, Dad. Mom. Can I talk to you guys?" I spoke timidly.

"Of course, about anything," Dad said, "what's up?"

I swallowed as I slowly sat at the end of the table.

Sutton waltzed over and presented me with a plate of grilled chicken over white rice with steamed asparagus. He put his hands on my shoulder and we met eyes, smiling at each other before he walked away.

Melinda came from behind me and poured sweet tea with a hint of pineapple juice in my tall glass. She dropped in two ice cubes and I mouth a sweet "thank you" as she walked off.

"What did you wanna talk about?" asked Dad. He used a cloth to wipe his mouth and squeezed Mom's hand so she'd pay attention to me.

I swallowed some rice down with a gulp of tea.

"I found a job and a place to stay. I'm moving out," I stated proudly.

Their silence was confusing, but at least they didn't throw a fit right away. Mom just sat back in her seat, massaging her temples.

"Wow, that's a big step, Brooklyn. Are you sure you're ready?" asked my father.

"Of course she's not ready, Michael!" Mom yelled. She sat up and stared at me, looking like she was about to cry. "Brooklyn, sweetie, I know I've been hard on you but if you're making this decision because you're angry at me, I'll stop. We can cut back on practices and I-"

My head shook. "This isn't about you, it's about me wanting space. How many times do I have to tell you I'm twenty-two. At some point, I'd like to start my own life and not just live in your shadow. You both have given me everything, but every bird has to leave the nest at some point, and I think it's my time to go. I'd really appreciate it if you guys supported me."

Mom just scoffed and stormed away from the kitchen. I knew she was going to break down and cry, but she'd never let me witness that sort of emotion from her.

I stabbed the chicken breast with my fork and sniffled, starting to rethink my decision.

Dad walked over and sat in the white Modern Mesa dining chair beside mine at the 94-inch glass table.

"I'm going to miss you, Brook," he said to me softly.

I looked up at him with glossy eyes. "Wait. You're going to let me go?!"

"You said it yourself, you're twenty-two. Besides, if you don't leave, I can never revert your room into my sanctuary," he chuckled.

"Hey," he faltered, "I'm sorry I'm never around. I couldn't even tell how grown you've become or that your mother was smothering you. Just know I love you more than life itself."

"More than your Ferrari?"

"Well, let's not get too hasty," he joked, making me laugh. I sniffled, wiping away the tears that formed in my eyes.

"I love you, Dad." We hugged it out.

"I'm going to get you some boxes and bring them up so you can finish packing. You can take everything from your room and whatever else you wanna take," he offered.

Dad left me to go check on his wife in their master bedroom on the second floor.

When the coast was clear, Sutton and Melinda appeared from their living quarters and presented me with a bakery box. I gasped and looked through the plastic on top. It was a sheet cake with whipped icing - my absolute favorite!

"You guys spoil me," I squealed, bringing them both in for hugs.

"It goes yellow, marble, chocolate. Sorry, no red velvet," Sutton said.

"Don't be sorry, are you kidding me, it's perfect! Thank you so much, Sutton."

"We overheard you saying you're moving earlier," Melinda talked, "we didn't have the money for any fancy housewarming gifts but we're more than willing to come and get you settled."

"Oh, I can't ask you to do that. Besides, there's no way my parents can last a day without you two," I said back.

Sutton lifted my chin. "It's not going to be the same without you here, darling."

"We're going to miss you," Melinda added, her bottom lip quivering. I stood so I could properly embrace them and not let go for a concerning amount of time.

"I'll be up to help you finish packing after I do the dishes, dear," Melinda told me as we all broke the hug. I just nodded at her with a content smile on my puffy face.

"And I'll be up an hour earlier to make sure you have the best breakfast of your life to remember me by," Sutton proclaimed. He flicked my nose and I scrunched it.

"I love you guys, good night." With that said, I took the fork from my dinner plate and put it on top of my cake to take with me upstairs. They laughed at me as I carried it in both arms. I looked back at them and yelled, "I'm definitely finishing this whole cake tonight, better grab a fork if you want a piece!"

***

Knock-knock! "Come in!" I ordered, thinking it was Melinda.

In walked my mother, however. She wore a matching pajama set and her beautiful thick dark brown hair was brushed out, hanging to her butt. It was the first time in a while I'd seen it straight down, no braids, no accessories, no ponytails, or buns. I smiled crooked as she stepped towards me. She sat down on my bed and looked at the room as I made it my mission to empty it before sunrise.

"So, you're really doing this?" she asked.

I slouched as I sat on the floor on my knees. "Yep!" I came off very cold.

"I'm proud of you," her sudden words came as a shock. Never before had she uttered those words to me or probably even thought them!

My eyes blinked and a tear fell. I got up and threw my arms around her shoulders. She rocked me and rubbed my back.

"Brook, you are smart, you are beautiful, and you are going places. I'm sorry I wasn't the best mother, but you have been the best daughter," she apologized. Pigs must be flying.

I stopped her there. "You called me Brook?"

She laughed a little. "Well, that's what you want to be called, right?" My head nodded as I grinned in her face.

"I'm sorry, Mom," I cried.

"I'm sorry, too. We'll be better from now on. I only pushed you because you're phenomenal, way more talented than I was, and I guess I wasn't ready to not have anything to do with dance anymore. I wanted you to be perfect, not seeing that you already were. I love you, Noelle," Mother spoke, brushing hair behind my ear.

She looked deeply into my eyes and asked me, "Do you know why I gave you that name?" When I shook my head to say no, she told me why. "It means a strong, independent, loving, and brave, fearless girl. Hell, you had the guts to stand up to me and not even your father does that." What she said made us both laugh.

"Come on, let's get you packed. The sooner you're gone, the sooner I can make this my extra closet!"

My heart was full and I was content with my life, happy I had their full support in something I wanted to do for once.

***

I was waken up to the smell of turkey bacon.

The aroma got me out of bed and called me downstairs to the kitchen first thing.

"Sutton, you shouldn't have!" I gasped, putting my hands to my cheeks as I saw the spread - a continental breakfast just like on the cover of those Home magazines. He prepared everything I loved.

"Ugh, can I take you with me? Or at least all of this?" I begged, taking a seat.

Melinda came over and poured me some orange juice. I watched her and Sutton scrub the kitchen clean and I didn't feel right. So I stood and placed four plates at the table along with mine.

"Mom! Dad!" I screamed for my parents to join.

"Brooklyn, this is for you, sweetie," Sutton told me.

"Relax," I hushed him. He and Melinda exchanged looks like they were worried.

"Sit down," I demanded, "I want you to eat with us for once. This is too much, anyway, we're not gonna eat it all. And offer the rest to the landscapers, please," I insisted. Sutton beamed, taking a seat beside Melinda.

"I'll get you something to drink," I offered. "Orange juice okay?"

"Orange juice is fine," Melinda sang.

My parents walked in in their robes and saw me catering to my (self given) god-parents.

"What's all this?" asked Dad through a yawn.

"And why are they at the table?" Mom added.

I gritted at her. "They're my guests. I want us all to enjoy this meal together before I leave. So, sit down."

"Excuse me," she sounded, giggling with Dad. He pulled out Mom's chair before seating himself at the head of the table.

"Sutton, Melinda, how are you this morning?" He made small talk.

"Fine, sir, thank you," Melinda talked.

"Thank you for letting us have this last meal with Brooklyn, Mr.Bra-"

Dad put his hand up until he finished the cup of juice. "Please, from now on, call me Michael - and my wife, Dana. Brooklyn wouldn't be who she is without you both, and I'm grateful for you. I'd like us to be closer." What he said surprised us all.

Dad looked at Mom and squeezed her hand. "I'd like that, too," Mom agreed, warming up to them.

After a breakfast with heartwarming conversation, I took a shower and threw on anything to wear as my family sat me down in Dad's study. They helped me order furniture online that I'd be able to pick-up in store once I got to California. Dad paid for everything and asked if there was anything else I needed. Once I was all set, they walked me outside.

"You guys aren't taking me to the airport," I asked them with a pout.

"We're not good at goodbyes," Mom wept.

I looked up at her and Dad who stood on the top step.

"I love you guys," I said. "Call me every once in a while, and never come see me."

They laughed and I joined in.

Beep! Beep! "Don't wanna miss your flight, Brook!" Sutton shouted from the car. Instead of our personal driver, I asked for Sutton to drop me off at the airport.

"Be safe out there," Dad told me.

"Just say I love you back and let me leave already," I playfully rushed them. They stepped down to hug me at the same time one last time. It lasted forever and was well-needed. This was the happiest moment of my life.

"We love you," Dad said first.

Mom added, "so much!"

I smiled at them and ran down the driveway to Sutton's black Chrysler.

Melinda walked up on the side of my mom who hugged her. The three of them waved as Sutton reversed and beeped all the way until we were no longer able to see the house.

"Darling, are you ready?" He asked me, lowering his dark shades.

"As I'll ever be," I gushed, sitting back in the passenger seat. I let out a breath and stared out of the window at the beautiful state I'd be leaving behind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

427K 3K 20
| EDITED & FULL VERSION IS OUT ON KINDLE NOW | Young Alexandra Lowell is head over heels in love with Marcus Torres-her brothers best friend. He's a...
988K 18.6K 54
18+ | Angel and demon brought together by accident. Sparks fly and moans reverberate through their bedroom but...neither one knows who they are to e...
51.1K 1.8K 64
He seemed like the devil. He was evil. Cruel. She was always portrayed as a weapon. A tool. An occasional use. One wrong turn -literally- and ever...
288K 5.9K 78
And we're back! But this time we're looking into the lives of the younger siblings: Alyssa Phoenix, Julianna and Jade Ramirez, and their best friend...