Turning the Page (Ashton Irwi...

By Gingersnap1019

Rachel Kelly has always put others first. After a drastic life experience she is afraid to let a certain amou... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 2

17 1 0
By Gingersnap1019

        I lost the coin toss.  Really I mean seriously.  I though David was kidding, because we live in fluffing Chicago. Though that weekend he stayed with me so we can practice my audition song to sing to the producers or whoever those people are that travel the country for auditions for The Voice. Still questions formed in my head on how this is not going to work. First off, how are we supposed to get the money to even fly to Los Angeles if we even make it? It is not like we have enough money to fly me there by myself, let alone both my grandma and I. Not to be cliché, but money doesn’t grow on trees. Plus why would I go there if I am just going to get rejected? Talk about humiliation when I go back to my new school and everyone laughing at me of what a complete fail that was. I can’t just leave in the middle of the school year. Though David was persistent. I swear, it is like I am the only one in the relationship that is logical when it comes to doing things. I guess that is why we work out so well. He gets me loose once and I while and I keep him out of doing something completely stupid.

               My grandma seems to also be on board which is not what I had in mind. She always says that she supports me whatever I do, yet she practically pushed me in the deep end of the idea of auditioning. I think they were more anxious then I was when we got the mail from the television show. She was practically ripping in open while having to what seems like an asthma attack, while David was trying to calm her down by telling her that whatever happens it is going to be alright. Meanwhile I am just standing in the back of the corner wondering whose audition tape was it really for. Me or my grandma.

               “YESSS!!!” yelled my grandma as she started jumping up and down like a kangaroo, “It is about time the world got to hear your beautiful voice.” She soon shoved the letter in my face as I had to adjust my vision. All I could see were the words, “Congratulations,” and I knew that I made it to the blinds.

               “Wha- what! I don’t believe it,” I stuttered as I tried to wrap my brain on what just happened.

               “Well it looks like you are going to LA Rachel!” David said as he wrapped his arms around me. “I am so proud of you.” As he was bending down to give me a kiss-

               “No PDA!” my grandmother screamed that scared the living shiz out of me making us both jump. We can’t get away with anything around my grandma. She probably thinks holding hands in front of her is crossing the lines and we have been dating since we were both sophomores.

               “Wait, but how are we going to get to LA? We don’t have enough money for tickets,” I said as my brain came back to the reality of things.

               “Don’t worry Rach,” David promised, “they gave us three tickets, so you can bring two people for support when you are auditioning.”  He then pulled out three plane tickets to LA out of the envelope that included my invitation to audition for The Voice. I couldn’t believe it. In just a week I will be in LA auditioning on a show I have only seen from the television screen with my grandma. To think that my dreams can come to life in just a short amount of time is such a game changer. “

        You won’t even make it past the blind auditions. You are not even good enough,” I thought, which is probably true. All the people that I have seen on the show are so talented. Probably all of them are most likely more experienced than I am. How can I compete with that? Sometimes I am my own worst enemy and it makes me so fluffing mad.

        As if he knew that I was beating myself up, David put his arm around my shoulder and whispered in my ear, “Hey, it is going to be alright. You will be amazing, and we will be right there with you.” I hesitantly nodded as I was trying to take deep breathes to calm me down.

“So what are we waiting for?” my grandma asked, “Let’s start packing.”

        I starred up the steps of the building that held the four most admiring coaches that can make or break my career. There stood the signature microphone and peace sign symbol bold and strong near the entrance. My body was shaking all over as I tightened my arms that were hooked onto my grandma and David’s arm. As soon as we entered there were cameras everywhere pointed at my face. It was really starting to make me uncomfortable, since I am not used to the spotlight very much.

        As I opened the door I immediately recognize all the coaches’ pictures. Pharrell Williams, Gwen Stefani, Blake Shelton, and Adam Levine. All had their portraits all over the wall with the look of confidence and intimidation all over their faces. Right as we walked inside I saw Carson Daley walk towards us and the first thing that came in my head was how taller he was in person. I am only 5 2’ so I had to lift my chin up a little as he stopped in front of us to great us with a smile as fake as his personality. I like the show and all, but to me Carson Daley seems a little fake when he is talking on the show.

        “Hello, you must be Rachel Kelly.” He said as he took (more like forcefully grabbed) my hand and shook it. I noticed that the cameras were facing towards me and I had to put on my best fake smile for the cameras as I said hello.

        “So what made you decide to try out for the voice?” he asked (probably asked the same question to every contestant). My grandma and boyfriend both immediately took control and began told him about the coin toss fiasco and I pitched in a little trying to add a little sense of humor here and there while my personal bubble was being popped by the camera crew two feet away from me. Soon Carson finished up the conversation with my little support squad when the leading camera lady motion with her fingers that they got the footage they needed, and he soon drifted off to the next contestant in the lobby. What a butthole.

        Soon I was being motioned by a way to perky women in her mid-twenties to follow her. She had a headset on and a clipboard in her right hand.

        “Where are we going?” I asked as we continued to follow her.

        “We will put you guys in the lounge as you wait your friend here waits his turn to audition,” she said giving me a smile as she motioned her head to David.

        “I am not auditioning,” David quickly injected, “My girlfriend Rachel is.”

        “Oh, I am sorry,” she laughed, “I just assumed.”

        What? She doesn’t think I can sing? I know I am not that good and don’t really look the part, but do they really have to be so judgmental? It is official. This lady is now on my shiz list. As I was internally plotting my escape plan out of here she led us to an open area where we were finally able to relax and sit down.

        There were people everywhere that I questioned whether they were all the people auditioning. Each had their own signature style to them. All of the girls, or shall I saw women, were decked out in makeup and fancy clothing that I wouldn’t dare to try on. It made me a little insecure that I was only wearing my comfortable blue jeans, my Arctic Monkeys band tee shirt, and my signature black converse. Some of the people were older than most and only a couple that were even closed to my age. Though they all looked like the same thing that I didn’t have. Confidence. Every one of them were smiling and acting completely calm with each other. Immediately I felt out of place.

        We settled down on a shiny red couch that probably cost a fortune alone, so I sat on the very edge hoping I don’t do anything to mess up the expensive furniture.

        “Are you nervous?” David asked as he took the seat next to me while my grandmother took the other end of the sofa next to him.

        “Of course not,” I said sarcastically, “it is not like I have a high chance of completely messing up and humiliating myself in front of a huge crowd and four talented start coaches.”

        “Well good,” my grandma said smiling; totally not getting my sarcastic remarks. Seriously, I have tried to teach her my sarcastic ways, but for some reason it does not seem to register in her mind.

        “You will be great,” David said as he took my hand, “Just think that all those people in the stands came for an amazing show, and so give it everything you got. Do something different, so they will remember you.” Little tiny butterflies were forming in my stomach as he kissed my hand for support. I took several deep breathes to try to calm me down, but it was a total epic fail once I heard the same lady that is now on my shiz list call my name for my turn.

          I tightened my grasped on David’s hand as I stood up and tried to keep up with the women as fake as a cardboard box while my legs were shaking to a point that I thought I would face plant on my face.

        “Go down this hallway where a group of specialist will get you ready to perform. Oh and say you temporarily goodbyes when you are halfway there, so the camera crew can get the footage.”

        I felt like this was a reality show or something like the Keeping up with the Kardashians, but with less butt and more realism. The camera people were rolling the film as I continued to walk down the hall admiring the artwork while I had my grandma and David hooked on each arm. Though as soon as we made it halfway I knew I will soon be all alone on stage. My anxiety started to rise as I gave my grandma the biggest hug I can muster.

        “I love you sweetheart. Do your best and you will succeed,” she whispered as she kissed my cheek. The nervousness that flowed like a tsunami throughout my body for some reason took my ability to form complete sentences or words for that matter, because all I could do was hug her tighter. I finally let go as I crashed into David’s warm embrace.

        “I love you so much Rach,” he said as bent down to kiss my forehead, “Just remember to go out there, have fun, and make them remember when The Rachel Kelly first stepped foot on The Voice stage.”

        “I will,” I promised as he unfortunately released me. Taking a deep breathe I turned around and started walking towards the direction of where my hopeful future would begin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...