Ain't an Ordinary Girl

By TooLazy2Move

Vrylle, a seventeen-year-old girl is your typical anti-social. With no trusted friends to speak of, she finds... More

Prologue
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33

Chapter 04

1.1K 49 0
By TooLazy2Move

Merida tag along with Vrylle to go to the Coston household, attending the tea party Marchioness Alera and her daughter Rosalie hosted. The party, says on the letter, that it will start at nine in the morning, so they did not have to be in haste since they departed earlier on.

While riding a white and navy blue carriage with the Auburne crest imprinted on its door, two snow-white horses pulling the thing, Vrylle's gaze wandered to every shop and other structures and people they passed by.

Indeed. This place was beautiful and magical and prosperous.

People on the street were laughing and conversing. A very wonderful sight. Vrylle could also clarify that the Empire allows to coexist with other races since it was not just humans who she sees.

There were few beautiful and handsome Elves, cute and fierce Beast Kins, those little Dwarves, the lovely Fairies, and other more. But what was make them stands out that caught her eyes was their way of clothing, it was different from the Edelweissian people wore.

Vrylle assumed most of them were Adventurers and Mercenaries based on their attire and weapons, while others were just normal travelers and tourists. About these Adventurers and Mercenaries? Vrylle thinks it wasn't a bad idea if she could be either of the two.

As for her research says, being one of their circle did not have any strict qualifications and anyone would be able to join as long as they pass a test that will be given to them.

Also, with or without Energy, as long as one knows how to fight and be able to live and continue to survive, everyone were welcome. So that it says, if something unfortunate happens, the guild that was holding them will not bear any responsibilities for their losses.

But, if they happen to lost their lives while doing their quest, their family will be handsomely compensated. Still a win-win situation.

And being an Adventurer or a Mercenary would give Vrylle a lot of privileges that being a noble lady cannot give.

For example: Once Vrylle got a license card of either of the two above, she could get a ten percent discount in every transportational vehicle and any accommodation in every inn throughout in each and every country.

Not just that. For Adventurers, all the drops, either it was an item, coins, or gems, the Guild will not get their hands in your things, and you could also have a trade for any information that only the Guild has records on to a reasonable price.

About the carcasses of the monsters you hunted, the guild will only get ten percent of it and the remaining would be yours. Not to mention that they would be the one who will sell it for you.

Of course, Vrylle could also travel places after places. If possible, she would like to travel all around Magnumium. And by hunting and doing some quest, she'd also be able to study and adore each country and their culture.

She'll be free. Bound to nothing.

But why an Adventurer and not a Mercenary? Simple. Because for Vrylle, an Adventurer has a wider array of quests like: Hunting down monsters, providing protection for important figures, collecting rare materials or herbs, exploring abandoned mine or unknown dungeons, and so much more.

While a Mercenary for her understanding was an individual who are hired to fight human opponents, either in warfare or pillaging civilians, driven specifically for payment. They have a formal contract with their employer and gets paid for their services.

That difference was the reason why she preferred to be an Adventurer.

Though for now, Vrylle guessed that learning her own country should come first since she was still a child and did not know how to fight, at least yet. And she was proud to say that she gained a faint knowledge about this country, which was according to her little research, it has four cores, balancing the country itself and the people living in it.

The first of the four cores was the Empire itself, where most of the people who received their Energy, gathered, and where tourist spots also located. Not to mention all the cities in Edelweiss located only at the East.

Thus, the Empire only has more or less than 20 cities. However, that simple issue alone did not tarnish the Empire's prosperity. In fact, it was the opposite. And now, the Empire was bustling.

The second core was the Mythical Beast that symbolizes the Empire's strength, also the one protected the people and the country to vicious monster. The Mythical Beast, which was a Dragon, resides at the South and monitoring every monsters in the Hunting Ground, so no one could escape.

While the Hunting Ground? It was where Adventurers, some Mercenaries, and other Hunters also known as 'lone wolves' who does not affiliate their selves in any Guilds, goes to hone their attributes and skills and also to complete their quest.

Vrylle did not also forget to take note that each country has only one Mythical Beast, just to supervised and maintained it's provided land.

The third core then was the Guild. Just like Mythical Beast, each country has also only one Guild. However, each Guild on each country has an equal size of land of an Empire or a Capital since it was home of Adventurers, Mercenaries, and Hunters. Their Guild sits and located at the West, where only those people occupied the vast land.

The Guild here in Edelweiss named Vanderbilt, and its crest that symbolizes the Guild was a goat.

Then, the last core was the Clan. These group of people are the one responsible for magic arrays, conducting research and such. They were also the one who was assigned for maintaining the country's barrier and clairvoyance to ensure everyone's safety from each sides of the land. Especially at the Hunting Ground.

Mystique was the name of the Clan, while the crest that symbolizes them was daisy.

"M'Lady, we have arrived."

Vrylle broke out from her thoughts and flinched, retracted her blank gaze from the window then look at Merida with a smile.

"Yes, thank you."

She responded and Merida smiled back, opening the door as she exited first, waiting for her outside. When Vrylle saw the gestures, she then stepped out of the carriage but got surprised when someone suddenly jumped and hugged her upon exiting.

If it wasn't for that someone's familiar face, Vrylle already twisted her arm all the way from her back while pinning her against the floor.

"I'm so happy you came! I thought you're really not going again!" Rosalie exclaimed.

The sudden skinship of the kid made Vrylle very uncomfortable. What's more, the kid's friendliness made her vigilant, though she senses no ill intention to it. It's just her normal reaction. A habit she grew with.

"Hmm? Vrylle? Why are you not talking? Is there something wrong?"

"No, I'm fine. I just got surprised." Vrylle says despite her vigilance and politely smiled. But she didn't know that those words and her preserved temperament surprised Rosalie.

The Vrylle in front of her was very different.

Rosalie was Vrylle's closest friend. They were friends since they were four, so she knew her friend's temperament. As far as she could remember, Vrylle was as jolly and cheeky as her, but now all of a sudden, she changed beyond recognition. She just hadn't seen her for a week yet many things changed already.

Although it wasn't a bad change.

"Rosalie? I think you're the one who's not fine. Well, shall we go inside?"

"O,Oh, yes, of course, let's go! Haha!"

Rosalie shoved her concerns for a while and guided her friend. Upon their arrival, at the front porch of their white and maroon painted mansion, her mother, Marchioness Alera, was standing on top of the stair and waiting for them, or more precisely to her friend, Vrylle.

Rosalie knew her mother's fondness to Vrylle. Who wouldn't, by the way? Vrylle was beautiful and cute as a doll. She was talented and also smart, unlike her. But never in her heart she got jealous of their differences, in fact, she was very proud for having a friend like her.

When Rosalie and Vrylle got closer, Marchioness Alera greeted the young lady and express how grateful she felt that finally, Vrylle accepted and attended the invitation this time. No one knew how happy she felt that Vrylle has arrived.

Marchioness Alera indeed very fond of her. It was not just the young lady's looks she was fond of but also her intelligence and actions by taking up or making use of her knowledge.

Vrylle, despite her young age, already contributed a big help to the Empire. Even His Majesty, the Emperor, scheming up something to fish her.

Two years ago, drought strikes the Empire and even the Clan and Temple's members doesn't know what to do and how to solve the problem. But thanks to Vrylle's precised understanding and unrivaled insight, lots and lots of agriculture matters got easily solved, and many lives were saved.

She must fish the young lady to be part of her family!

"I heard from Rosalie that you loved flowers, so we prepared and held the party in the garden. I hope you'll enjoy this little gathering, Vrylle." Said the Marchioness with a gentle voice.

"Of course, I will. Thank you, Madame."

Vrylle, felt something was wrong with the Marchioness, so her vigilance heightened up. She felt from her words and gestures that the Madame was cooking up something, and even it was either a good or bad intention, she doesn't want the feeling to be the center of that scheming.

Marchioness Alera, on the other hand, does not know that her gestures and words were already perceived by her target. So while she was leading the way to the garden with positive expectation, Vrylle already put up her mask.

Schemes was one of the thing she hates.

When the ladies finally reached the garden, the first thing Vrylle noticed was the white and golden pavilion that was situated at the center of the flowers, circling the pavilion and only leaves a space for a path that leads to it.

Inside, as they continued to venture forward, few beautiful ladies from around fifteen to twenty years old were leisurely chatting. They just stopped and simultaneously turned towards them when they perceived their arrival.

Malicious intent. Some of them already released such awful stench.

Vrylle secured her mask and smiled as charming as possible, then greeted the ladies with elegance. When the ladies greeted her back and praised how beautiful and elegant and matured she acts despite her young age, Vrylle smiled again then politely excused herself, saying she wanted to have an alone time with Rosalie, though it was just a sham.

But when she turned and looked at that certain someone, Rosalie beamed and Vrylle was blinded by her radiance, made her mentally frowned.

'This kid was no joke. I think I dug my own grave.'

Then, Rosalie pulled Vrylle by her wrist, and they ran back inside, navigating through the halls and passes many portraits, antique vases, and different sculptures that lined the walls.

When they reached and entered a room, that was when she recognized it was a tearoom. However, the room wasn't big at all, not being used to ball parties and more suited as a foyer. Also, the other door from the room across her which leads outside curious her.

She guessed the scenery over there wasn't bad.

Meanwhile, the overly bright and cheerful Rosalie excused herself for a moment to get some things and Vrylle just nodded, though a foreboding feeling came after. Then, when Rosalie left, that was when she only realized that Merida was nowhere to be seen.

They had left her.

A deep breath later, Vrylle then stepped out the tearoom and inhaled the fresh air upon exiting. Even though there were fewer flowers around, the scenery was beautiful. She also takes quite a stroll and paused in front of a big, beautiful and intimidating tree.

Its trunk was wide and tall and its thick leaves were so green and sparkling, the ray of sun bathing its light to it.

'Beautiful indeed.'

Vrylle doesn't know if the word she chooses was the right one to describe the tree, or maybe it was an understatement.

Started circling around it, her right palm on its trunk, Vrylle halted and felt startled to see that there was a guy sitting on the grass and leaning his back against the trunk, his head cast down.

She panicked at the scene, thinking perhaps the guy might be consciousness or maybe feeling ill, so she ran towards him and kneeled, lifting his face to peek through it.

"...What you think you are doing?"

Vrylle felt her breath caught in her throat, eyes widened and hands instinctively retreated back. When the young man's long and thick blonde eyelashes fluttered open, her eyes shone with astonishment when she saw how beautiful his eyes are.

Those different coloured eyes, the right eye was green while his left eye was gold. It was like a variety of gemstones inside a treasure chest.

"What? If it creeps you out, you are free to-"

"Beautiful..."

Vrylle blurted out and held his cheeks, pulling his face a little closer, so she could see them more clearly.

She was indeed stunned since she had never seen such beautiful eyes back on Earth. Except from the novels she read where she pictured these kinds of different coloured pair of eyes, this was her first time seeing them in person. And not just his eyes, the young man has a stunning facial features, too.

His well-shaped brows, perfect nose, kissable lips, and his pale blonde hair added to his amazing features.

He was too beautiful. It was too much for her eyes.

"VRYLLE! VRYLLE!"

The stunned little girl broke out from her trance and let go the young man's face when Rosalie's voice entered her ears.

"Pardon for my rude behaviour, Young Master? Well, It's just... your eyes were so beautiful that I forgot my manners."

Vrylle smiled awkwardly and bowed her head to show how sorry she was. She didn't know who he is, but she had a hint that the young man was also a noble, so she shouldn't be rude. However, his twinkling eyes were very beautiful. She can't help but stare.

"VRYLLE!" Rosalie called out again, and she cracked a smile.

The frantic voice of her 'friend' warms her up. It was strange. New. But she doesn't hate it.

"My friend is calling me. By the way, my name is Vrylle. Glad to meet you. Then, please excuse me."

Vrylle smiled again, and before she stood up, she handed the young man a candy and told him to cheer up. When the young man accepted it, she curtsies then leave.

Vrylle picked up a weird feeling about the young man. Even though his eyes were clear and beautiful, he perceived he was lonely, no. He felt alone.

His eyes when he looked at her were distant and cold. As if the whole world turned its back on him. And that temperament reminded her of who she was.

This wasn't her life. She just happens to have it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.3K 4.7K 97
A story following a young hunter named Jay. He has grown up in a world where dungeons, monsters, and humans with leveling systems are a cultural norm...
85.9K 2.6K 52
What kind was there before the fae we know today? A story where our Inner Circle finds a fairy not a fae. AzrielxOC 18+ First uploaded: 15/9 2023
437K 18.2K 123
SYPNOSIS Reading Purifying Love made Rachelle D'magiba feel very insulted. The ending that the author had written didn't go well with her expectation...