Desolation [h.s]

By sweetcherryy94

|CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT| "When I first saw you The end was soon To Bethlehem it slouched And then it must... More

Introduction
Characters
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 1

11.4K 184 263
By sweetcherryy94

Seraphina Amor

They say people are born evil, that from the moment you arrived on this earth you were meant to perform one cruel deed after the other. That there was this seed planted in your heart that would continue to grow and grow throughout the expanse of your life.

I believe there's some truth to that.

I think everyone's born with that seed of evil inside them. It all depends on how much you water it to see the extent of its growth. Some don't water that seed enough for it to grow into something, but there are others, like myself, that provide it with an influx of water, allowing it to turn into something bigger. There's no shame in that. The world needs a little evil in it.

I've seen that over the course of my life. No one is perfectly innocent. Even those who claim they have never done a bad deed in their life, they're simply lying. Everyone is tempted at one point or another. Eventually, no matter how hard you try, you cave in. Those who pledge pureness and resistance to evil are the most sinister of all. Hiding behind a facade of righteousness doesn't erase the mistakes you've made in the past. They're like cellophane, you can see right through them.

I, on the other hand, don't try to hide what I've done. There's no point in lying. It doesn't change anything. Instead, I take pride in it. In the world we live in today, that's something people need to do more of, owning up to their own wickedness.

When you're younger, you're told to never lie, to never cheat, to always be an honest person. That sort of mindset doesn't get you anywhere in life. You need to lie, you need to cheat, you need to get your hands a little dirty in order to get where you want. That's exactly what I did and that's the way I will continue to live.

New York City. It's the place I've called home for as long as I can remember. The dirty, congested streets have a sense of home to them, no matter how disgusting they are. Every road I know by heart, having them all memorized since I was younger. That knowledge came to shine its light of importance when I got my job.

"Excuse me, Ms. Amor, your car is here."

I glance up from the screen of my computer to where Arthur is standing in the doorway, arms held neatly behind his back. His body is clad in a freshly pressed tuxedo, his gray hair slicked back.

"I'll be there in just a second, Arthur."

He nods his head, walking inside to grab the door knob. "Take your time, miss. I'll be out here when you're ready."

Arthur walks back out into the hallway, the door clicking shut behind him. I look back to my laptop, closing out of the tabs I currently had open. Shutting the computer, I place it inside its respective bag. Taking a deep breath, I stand up from my chair. Glancing out the window, the world outside is dreary; it almost looks as if a gray blanket draped over the city. Rainy and gloomy weather is always the best. I was never a fan of summer weather.

My heels click on the floor as I walk around the room, collecting my essentials for the day. My purse, keys, phone, more than you would think could fit in a tiny purse. Swiping the cup of coffee off of the counter, I double check the apartment one last time before walking over the door.

Pulling it open, I'm met with the face of Arthur. I give him a faint smile. He's worked with me for as long as I can recall. He was the one who practically raised me as a child.

"Let's go, shall we?"

He gives me a smile and I loop arms with him. "You seem to be in a good mood this morning, Ms. Amor."

I look up at him, giving him a look. "How many times do I have to tell you, Arthur? You can call me Seraphina. There's no need for the formalities."

He simply shakes his head at me, declining my insistence of simplicity for titles. "No, miss. That's not proper."

I let out a sigh and rolled my eyes at him. "I don't think I've ever heard you call me by my first name in all the years I've known you."

Arthur just simply shrugs his shoulders and we continue walking to the elevators. He presses the down button and we wait in silence for the cart to arrive. The elevator dings and the metal doors slide open.

"Why are you being sent in today?" Arthur asks as we walk into the small elevator. I shrug my shoulders as he presses the button for the lobby.

"I'm not sure. Dolion just called saying he needed me in for today. Said it was urgent."

Arthur lets out a hum of acknowledgement, but doesn't say anything after. He knows not to question my work, there's not a lot I can exactly tell him. Secrecy is key. Although he is exposed to my job, as it is his requirement to look after me, he doesn't push to know more information than he already does.

It's quiet for the rest of the walk to the car. The cold air nips at our skin as we step out onto the busy streets of the city. Car horn honking fills my ears and the faint smell of gasoline invades my nose. A sleek black car is parked by the front, a driver resting on the hood.

"There's your ride, miss," Arthur says, removing the lock he has on my arms. I give him a smile, tugging the strap of my purse to rest on my shoulder. The slight wind blows through my clothes, sending a chill down my spine. I tug my jacket tighter around me.

"I'll see you later, Arthur. Don't get into too much trouble while I'm gone."

The older man lets out a chuckle, creases forming by his eyes showing the years that same smile has adorned his face.

"I will try my best, Ms. Amor."

A small laugh leaves my lips and I shake my head at him. "Have a wonderful day."

I give Arthur a light pat on his shoulder and walk around him to the awaiting car. The driver looks up at me, dropping the cigarette he was smoking. The small bud is crushed under his dress shoes and he sends me a toothy grin.

"Morning, Seraphina."

My face instantly drops into one of seriousness. "Just get in the car, Hunter."

Hunter throws his hands up, walking to the back seat to open the door for me. I stand there silently watching him as the car unlocks and he grabs the handle, tugging open the car door.

"There you go, your highness." Hunter sends me a wink and I roll my eyes at him. I step into the car, situating myself on the black leather seat.

The door closes behind me and I place the black purse next to my feet as I reach for the seatbelt, tugging it across my body and buckling it. My eyes snap up to the driver's seat as the door opens and Hunter gets into the car.

"Take it Dolion needs you for something," Hunter says as he turns the keys in the ignition and the car roars to life. I glance at him in the rear view mirror, his eyes already on me. He raises an eyebrow at me and I look away.

"I would assume considering he called me at five in the morning," I reply, keeping my gaze outside the window. Hunter just responds with a small hum and he pulls out onto the main road. I stare out the window, watching as the world around me blends into an array of colors. Hunter drives quickly through the streets nearly running a red light a few times.

"Would you mind slowing down? I would prefer to arrive in one piece."

He just scoffs at me, running a hand through his moppy hair. "Has anyone ever told you that you complain an awful lot?"

"One would assume you would get used to it after driving me around for the past five years."

Hunter gives me a sly smirk and he gently shakes his head at me, prodding his tongue against the inside of his cheek. "You would assume, wouldn't you?"

My eyes flick up to his own and I feel a grin tugging on my lips but I quickly stop myself by pressing my lips together. Hunter lets out a throaty chuckle and my attention returns back to him.

"What's so funny?" I question, my body swaying slightly as Hunter rounds a corner.

"You're so damn serious all the time. When was the last time you actually had fun?"

I give him a bored look, rolling my eyes. "I don't have the time to have fun." I answer seriously. Despite what one might think, there isn't much free time with the job. It's always one task after the other.

"All you do is work. Doesn't it get exhausting?"

I don't respond, instead, I draw my attention to my recently manicured hands, the red color they were painted with still perfectly intact. I don't think working all the time is an issue. It's simply dedication to your craft, commitment.

"What ever happened to that guy I had to drive home with you last week?"

I tense in my spot, biting the inside of my cheek. "Why? Curious about my sex life?"

Hunter lets out a loud laugh. "I mean, I am the one driving them around half the time on the way back to your apartment."

My gaze narrows at him and I brush a piece of hair away from my face. "It's none of your business. Just because I slept with you once doesn't mean you get to know everything about my personal life," I snap at him, my voice just a notch louder.

"No need to get so defensive. Just asking a simple question."

Just as I'm about to say something back, the car jerks to a quick stop, my body lurching forward and ramming back against the seat.

Hunter sends me a cheeky smile and pulls an innocent look. "Whoops, my apologies."

A glare is sent his way as he unbuckles his seat belt and steps out of the car. I pick up my purse from the floor, placing it by my side as I undo my own seat belt. Just as it falls back into its place, the car door opens. My legs swing out of the car and I throw the strap of my bag over my shoulder. Once again, I'm met with the coolness of the air due to the droopy weather.

I look back at Hunter who's walking back around to his side of the car.

"I'll be back whenever you need me. Just give me a call."

He leaves me no chance to respond as he gets into the car, quickly speeding away. I let out an exasperated sigh as I turned back around. In front of me was a tall skyscraper. The large glass windows seem to blend in with the grey theme that the city seems to be decorated in today. Usually, they reflect the sun so brightly passerby's almost go blind.

Dolion & Associates.

A basic business building, although the more you look at it, the less normal it truly is. I eye the people around before I take a deep breath and begin walking to the entrance. My heels tap against the cement of the sidewalk and I walk through the crowd of people that travel in front of the building.

My walk speeds up a little and I push open the front door, stepping into the warm building. A breath of comfort leaves my lips at the pleasant temperature that the building is in. Despite it being spring, rainy days always seemed to convert the city to a chilly condition. That, or I was just simply always cold.

The simplicity of the building does not bring alarm to those who are here for normal business inquiries. Basic white and gray furniture are spaced out across the lobby. Overpriced paintings are hung on the walls, displayed for everyone to see. It looks completely ordinary. I suppose that was the way Dolion intended it to be. Normal to an unsuspecting eye.

Slowly, I approach the front desk to the last person seated on the long, white table. Their eyes are casted down on the computer monitor in front of them, the bright screen reflecting off of their glasses.

"Gideon."

Their eyes snap up to me and widen once it registers who I am. "Miss... Miss Amor. I didn't know you were coming in today."

I drop my purse on the counter and remove my jacket, dropping it into the crook of my arm. "Neither did I. Dolion called me in."

They let out a nod, quickly typing away at their computer. My eyes travel around the lobby, eyeing all of those who were inside. Men and women dressed in business attire filtered through the room. Some on calls while others were rushing in quickly, desperately trying to get to work on time.

"Ah, yes. He's ready for you now."

I give them a nod, picking up my bag from their desk. "Thanks, Gideon."

They give me a weary smile in return. I've known them for years at this point and they're still always so jumpy around me.

Walking away from the front desk, I bump into a person directly behind me. My face collides right into their hard chest and a small "omph" leaves my lips. I take a step back, rubbing my forehead before shooting an annoyed glare at the person. It was an older man, probably around his late forties, maybe early fifties. His face is stern as he glances down at me.

"Watch where you're walking," I spit. I don't give him an opening to respond as I shoulder past him and walk to the elevators. An aggravated huff of air leaves my lips as I desperately try to fix the curling of my hair. I smooth down the top of my outfit as I reach the elevators, pressing on the 'up' button. My heel taps impatiently on the marble floor and I glance up at the clock that hangs above the steel doors.

The ding of the elevator is heard and the elevator in front of me slides open. I step inside and turn to press the button for the top floor, floor 40. I lean against the arm rail as the doors close and the elevator begins to move upwards. I watch as the number on the screen changes as I pass by each floor. The cart comes to a stop once I reach my desired destination and the doors open. Straightening my back, I step out and into the top office space.

Everywhere you can see is practically glass. Each office is see through, allowing anyone to glance inside. The windows overlook the city, the people underneath looking like tiny specks as they walk by, unsuspecting of anything going on above them. The room is bright and I nearly want to squint my eyes as I enter.

"Ms. Amor. Just the person I was looking for."

My attention snaps over to where Everly is walking over to me with a cheerful smile. I put on my best happy look, forcing a bright smile as the blonde woman grabs my arm.

"Everly, what a pleasure," I say through gritted teeth, trying my hardest to sound enthusiastic. Dolion's assistant doesn't seem to notice my forced happiness as she sends me a radiant smile, her pearly white teeth on perfect display.

"Oh no, dear, the pleasure is all mine. Mr. Dolion was actually just sending me out to see if you were here and what convenience that you already are!" The small woman tugs me along to the direction of Dolion's office.

"I was called in," I remind her, trying my hardest to keep up with her pace. For someone so small she sure does walk fast. Her curled hair bounces with each step and I catch the faintest whiff of her coconut shampoo.

"That is true, but if you weren't here, Dolion was going to make me drive all the way to your apartment and there was no way I wanted to go out in that gloomy weather. It really does bring down my mood."

I nod along to her rant, not really paying any mind to a word that leaves her glossed lips. She is one of those people that is cheerful no matter what. It really does make me sick sometimes.

Everly's pace slows down as we arrive at Dolion's office. She lets go of my arm and I rub the skin gently, red marks starting to form from where she was gripping. She reaches out and opens the glass door.

"Mr. Dolion, Miss Amor is here."

Two sets of eyes look over to me and my hands clasp in front of my body awkwardly. Dolion looks at me and sends me a warm smile before glancing back at Everly.

"Thank you, Everly."

The woman simply lets out a hum and nudges me into the room. "I'll see you later," she whispers into my ear. Everly leans back and sends me a wink before she walks away, her blonde hair bouncing with each step.

"Miss Amor, please take a seat."

My lips pressed together in a straight line and I closed the door behind me, walking over to the empty chair on the right. The entire office only had furniture that was black, making it a great contrast to the brightness of the place.

I slip into the chair, gently placing my coat over the top of the chair. Turning back around, my attention is back on Dolion and he clears his throat.

"Sorry for the last minute notice," he says, his words trailing off into a laugh.

"It's fine, really."

He smiles and leans back into his chair. Out of the corner of my eyes, I steal a glance of the man sitting next to me in the opposite chair. His hair is slightly wavy, a little more on the curly side, and a decent length. Not too long but not too short. He's clad in an all black suit making him fit in perfectly with the color scheme of the room. Each of his fingers are adorned with golden rings, an 'H' ring is worn on his ring finger while his pinky has an 'S'. On his left hand, right in the junction between his thumb and pointer, is a black cross tattoo. Faintly, I can see the tip of another under the sleeve of his suit, giving the assumption that this man has a lot more. His face features are sharp and look like he was sculpted from stone. I've never seen him here before, I would definitely remember seeing him walking around.

"Seraphina, this is Harry Styles. Harry, this is Seraphina Amor," Dolion introduces, his hand pointing between the two of us. I send Harry a greeting nod and he returns one back. Neither of us say a word, only waiting for Dolion to get to the point of why he has us both here.

"So, I know this is all very last minute, but, there is a very serious issue we have on our hands." Dolion glances between the two of us and we both send him attentive nods. "Recently, we've discovered that one of our workers has stolen a great deal of money from our mafia."

My eyes widened at his statement. What kind of idiot does that? You never get away with stuff like that. They've got eyes and ears everywhere. The last guy that tried to do that got ripped to shreds, literally. I lean forwards slightly, resting against the left arm of the chair.

"How much?" I ask. Dolion looks at me, a serious expression is drawn across his sun kissed face.

"Two-hundred million dollars."

My jaw drops in utter shock. That's the most money I've heard anyone try to steal.

"Do you know where he is?" I question, raising an eyebrow. Dolion lets out a tired breath, leaning forward to rest his hands on his desk, hands interlocked.

"That's our issue. He's on the run. We've contacted everyone that we have ties to see where he's been, if he's talked to anyone, or if anyone's seem him out."

I steal another glance at Harry, trying to see how he was taking in the information that was being given to us. He seemed to be listening attentively as he was the tiniest bit leaned forward in his seat.

"That's why we called the two of you in today."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I give Dolion a weird look. "What do you want us to do?"

Dolion's eyes flicker between us as his lips press into a thin line. "We're sending you two to the last place someone reported he was seen."

"Which is?" I question.

"London."

A scoff passes through my lips. "London? You're kidding me?"

Dolion shakes his head remorsefully. "I'm afraid not. You two will be going undercover to find out where he is and try to get him back to us. The rest doesn't concern you."

I roll my eyes at him, slumping back into my seat. "I don't see the point in pairing me up with him. I'd be fine on my own. How is having one new guy work with me going to be any help?"

Dolion gives me a stern look and I clamp my mouth shut. "Harry used to work with Jensen, our culprit. He knows how he thinks which gives us one of the best and only leads we've got. Mr. Styles has years of experience under his belt, just like yourself, making you two the best suited team for the job."

"But-"

"No buts. Everything is already set in motion for the two of you. A plane is prepared for you to set off tomorrow. We've given you enough money to last you for at least six months, just in case things don't go as planned. All the information you need will be given to you both tomorrow. Also, Mr. Styles has graciously offered for you to use his London flat as a home base for this mission, however long it takes."

Grudgingly, I nod my head, accepting the job. I guess Harry seemed to agree as well, considering he was offering usage of his flat. How generous. Dolion accepts our silent agreement as his face breaks out into a smile.

"Good. I suggest you go home and start packing. Take only absolute essentials. Basic necessities will be provided as usual." Dolion clears his throat, standing up from his chair. Harry and I follow his lead, rising from our own seats. Grabbing my purse and jacket, I watch as Dolion reaches over to shake Harry's hand.

"Well then, seems like we're all set then."

Dolion reaches over and I give him a firm handshake, only giving him a tight lipped smile. I never liked working with people, even alongside people I know. Now, I'm partnered with someone I don't even know and sent abroad with them. This is absolutely atrocious.

"You two have a wonderful day. I'll keep in contact tomorrow before you leave."

He sits back in his chair, returning to his work on his computer. Taking that as the end of our conversation, I turn around and walk out of the office.

This is ridiculous. He never partnered me up with people. He knows I work better alone. Deep down, I know this is because of what happened last time. It wasn't even my fault though, he just can't seem to understand that.

Brushing past the office workers, I try to get the elevators as quickly as possible. I guess I didn't move fast enough because the bouncing curls of Everly are heading in my direction, and quick. A sneer takes home on my lips and I speed up my pace, trying to get to the button before she can pull me away.

"Seraphina-"

"Not now," I snap at her, pressing the small white button with my knuckle harsher than necessary.

I can feel her presence next to me and I take a small step away, creating distance between the two of us. My eyes stay locked on the silver doors and I can see the reflection of Everly's baby pink dress.

I can sense the deflation of her mood and a small "oh" leaves her lips. An annoyed sigh escapes me and I roll my eyes, turning to face her.

"Look, don't take it personal. It's not a good time right now. Don't you have work to do?" I ask her, motioning to the nearly overflowing amount of paperwork stacked up on her desk. She glances over at her work place and a small frown forms on her lips.

"Yeah, but-"

"You should get that done. I have work to do and so do you. I suggest you go get that mountain of work that's piled up on your desk completed."

Everly just nods softly, turning around and walking over to her desk. A wave of relief washes over me as the elevator dings and the metal doors slide opening meaning I can get the hell out of here.

Stepping inside the elevator cart, I press the lobby button, the small circle turns red at my selection. Just as the doors are about to close, a ring clad finger wraps around the edges, preventing the door from shutting. My eyes widen and I hastily push the reopen button. The doors slide open and as I look up I'm met with the intense stare of a set of piercing green eyes.

Harry fixes the cuffs of his suit as he steps inside with me, leaning against the railing on the opposite side. His eyes flick over the floors before a satisfied hum is heard at the fact that the lobby has already been selected, assuming that's where he wanted to go.

His long fingers wrap around the metal bar and when he clears his throat, I have to tear my gaze away from them. He raises an appointed brow at me.

"Can I help you?"

My eyes widen as his accent drips from each of his words. So he's British? Straightening my posture, I lean against the opposite wall, shaking my head.

"No," I answer simply. Harry eyes me up and down slowly as a sly grin tugs at the corner of his lips.

"Hm," is all he answers with. I eye him for a second longer before I shift my gaze to the black marble floor. Silence settles over us for a few seconds before I decide to speak.

"Just so you know, Dolion didn't pair me up with you because I needed help," I clarify, standing up straighter.

Harry's left hand comes up to his bottom lip, pinching it between his fingers. "Is that so?" he questions.

I nod my head at him. "Yeah, it is. I don't need a partner."

"Dolion clearly doesn't agree with that statement," he retorts with a smug grin. "It's okay if you need a little help. Some of us aren't as good at this job as others. Nothing wrong with that."

"I'm good at this job," I say through gritted teeth. Harry just nods gently, his face pulling into a sarcastic look.

"I'm sure you are."

Anger begins to boil up in the pit of my stomach at his words. Squeezing my hand into a fist, I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I send a glare at the man standing in front of me. His confident and cocky aura doesn't falter and it makes me want to slap it right off.

The elevator comes to a stop and the doors open to the, slightly less, crowded lobby. I send one last look at Harry before I step out of the elevator, walking in a quick pace to the exit. I can hear Harry following me, the loud sound of his shoes smacking against the floor being a dead giveaway. Quickly, I turn around to face him, giving him a serious look.

"Okay, I don't know who you think you are to be walking around here all high and mighty, but that 'I'm better than you' attitude has got to go if we're going to be working together."

Harry's face drops for a second, and I think I've gotten my point across but instead, a loud chuckle leaves his lips. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I watched his hand go up to his hair before looking down at me. A smile still tickled the edges of his lips, the ends curved upwards.

"You are just so much easier to see through than I thought."

My lips part and I give Harry a weird look. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Harry just shakes his head at me. "Nothing. I'll see you tomorrow morning, Miss Amor." He bows his head at me, brushing past me and pushing open the glass door. My eyes follow him as he walks out onto the busy street before getting lost in the crowd.

A scoff makes its way past my lips and I roll my eyes at his actions. Slipping on my jacket, I reach into my bag and pull out my phone. Unlocking it, I press on the contacts button, tapping at Hunter's number.

Bringing the phone up to my ear, the line rings a few times before his voice is heard on the other end of the receiver.

"Done already, doll?"

A gag almost leaves me at his pet name. "Just pick me up."

A snicker is heard on the other end as well as the sound of a car door opening and closing.

"I'll be there in five."

A/N: Welcome everyone. This is a new story I'm writing and I hope you like the first chapter. I'm really excited to start working on this!! See you all soon. - j

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 163 22
Running. I've become pretty accustomed to it by now. Whether it be back at the gym, being late to work, or my past. It was always the past. But h...
8.3K 550 7
❝IF I COULD BE HONEST FOR ONE DAY, EVEN JUST FOR A SPLIT SECOND, I'D TELL YOU THAT I'M HURTING. AND I MEAN REALLY HURTING.❞ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | 201...
288K 6.7K 70
"You know I can't just let you go." He says. "You have no choice" I weakly say with tears falling. "I'm not letting you go. I just can't allow you...
128 7 7
"Oh but you see sweetheart, there's so much more I am capable of. You see me from the outside, a guy who can just look at a person once and have them...