HEART OF GOLD {KNJ}

By moonvanjoon

[FANTASY AU] My breath hitches as a twig snaps somewhere in front of me, finally bringing me back to my sense... More

Heart of Gold
Prologue
| 01 |
| 02 |
| 03 |
| 04 |
| 05 |
| 06 |
| 07 |
| 08 |
| 09 |
| 10 |
| 11 |
| 12 |
| 13 |
| 14 |
| 15 |
| 17 |
| 18 |
| 19 |
| 20 |
| 21 |

| 16 |

383 33 7
By moonvanjoon

Them

"How good of you to finally join us, dragon." The man says, drawling out the last part, much to Namjoon's distaste. "We were beginning to think that you weren't going to show."

"What did you do to her?" He asks, ignoring the fire beginning to burn in his heart.

"Relax. She is unharmed." He responds, smirking as the next words leave his mouth. "For the most part."

Before Namjoon can say anything, he adds, "Don't even think about it. We can do this the easy way, or the hard way, it's up to you."

Despite his instant dislike for the guy, Namjoon tries his best to remain calm. After all, his first priority is to keep EunAe safe. If this is what it takes to achieve her safety, he will back down for now.

"Speak."

"Good. Now we're talking."

When the man, or boy, for he doesn't look to be much older than Namjoon doesn't speak, Namjoon shoots another question.

"What is it that you want?" He insists, growing impatient at the lack of answers from the man standing in front of him.

"Straight to the point. I like it." The man taunts.

"What we want is simple. We want you to join our side."

"And why would I want to do that?"

"Because we have your partner." He states, matter of fact.

"That's not a very convincing argument." Namjoon says, raising a brow. "No deal until I see she is safe."

"Fine. It's only fair. We'll show you we're not the heartless monsters you think we are."

"This way."

Namjoon can tell EunAe is nearby, he can feel it, but there is also something else that is keeping him from finding her exact location.

His hear drops in his chest when he sees the girl tied up against a tree, the back of her head tirelessly resting against it.

"EunAe." He says, her name leaving his lips before he has time to think.

Upon hearing his voice, the girl's head snaps up, her eyes wide when she sees his figure, EunAe quickly shaking her head when she sees him take a step forward.

Don't. She says.

Confused, the boy's brows crease together into a frown, his eyes searching hers for some sort of answer.

The look she is giving him. There is a message hidden behind the look she is giving him. A warning.

Before he can figure it out, the guy speaks up.

"There. Safe and sound like we promised." He says, Namjoon clenching his fists at his comment.

Safe? And sound? How does that make sense when the girl looks so tired.

"She put up quite the fight you know, but it's nothing compared to what we can do."

Keep calm. He tells himself, fighting every urge he has to punch the guy in the face.

"Let her go. If it's me you want, then let her go."

"Ooh no can do my friend. We're not done yet. Whatever happens after this will depend on what you choose."

"When we first heard of it, we couldn't believe our ears. After all this time, another dragon shifter walks among us. And not just any dragon shifter, a vesperaldus. We just knew we had to find you. You are just what we need to achieve our goal."

"Stop beating around the bush and tell me what you want."

"It's simple. Join us in destroying the world. A world where shifters have the power and are not dependent on humans. Just think about it. You can have anything and everything you want. No one will ever hurt or make fun of you ever again."

"Not everything." Namjoon mutters.

"Oh? What was that?" He asks, placing his face right next to his. "That fire in your eyes tells me that you don't agree."

"For years shifters have been feared and mistreated. I say no more! It's time we rule the world and take back what is ours."

"There are other ways of achieving that." Namjoon says, his voice calm despite how he is feeling.

"Well, sure. There might be other ways of achieving this, but how long will they last? How long until they go back to hating and fearing you? I think you know better than anyone that it doesn't work that way."

"Just look at how fragile they are." He says, turning Namjoon's face to look at the girl. "We don't need them. If anything, they need us and use us for their own benefit. They limit what we can do."

"An arrangement for partners? Going on adventures as a way to keep the peace? Please! We shouldn't have to do such things!"

When Namjoon doesn't say anything else, the guy gets close to his face again.

"So? What will it be, dragon?"

"Will you join us? Or will you keep living among them?"

His low growl is all he needs.

Namjoon tenses as he feels a sharp object pressed against his lower back, the guy now standing behind him.

"I would be careful if I were you." He says in a low voice. "We can take what we want, when we want to. Your partner is no exception."

With a firm voice, Namjoon simply says, "no", doubling over when he receives a punch to the gut.

"Namjoon!" EunAe cries out, her voice muffled by the cloth around her mouth.

"No?" The guy repeats. "That's your answer?"

"No." He says again. "If you had come to me with e offer, I might've accepted. But just the fact that you have to resort to these tricks to get me to agree says a lot about who you are."

"Is that so? You will regret this."

"Then so be it."

Inhaling, Namjoon quickly stands up in two, a golden light glowing brightly in his chest as he spreads his dragon wings behind him, the group startled by the sudden act.

In one swift move he propels himself forward, reaching EunAe's side.

"Let's get out of here." He says, using his claws to break her free.

Nodding, EunAe runs along as the boy guides her by the wrist, shifting in the process so that they can away from there faster.

"Hold on tight."

Flying is the fastest way to get them both to safety. However, as he flies through the trees to reach the sky, he winces when an arrow flies past him, followed by a few more.

Below him, EunAe yelps as a rock is hurled her way, the boy looking down to make sure she is okay. His grip on her is safe, but it's not enough.

It's too dangerous for her. He should use the trees for cover.

Ducking, he makes his way back into the forest, shifting back to his human form.

"I will make you regret this!" The guy's voice echoes through the trees, followed by the sound of shouting behind him.

It's only a matter of time before they reach them.

"Come on EunAe." Namjoon says, taking her hand again. "We need to go."

No words are exchanged but the sound of their raging breaths as they run, the girl stumbling a few times along the way.

"We're reaching a clearing up ahead," he says, "we should be safe there."

Unfortunately, he spoke too soon. As they reach the clearing, EunAe lets out a gasp as she nears the edge of a cliff, Namjoon quickly pulling her back towards him.

"We're trapped." He says, carefully looking towards the bottom of the cliff.

"What do we do?" She asks, looking over his shoulder for any signs of the group.

Their options are limited. If they run back into the forest, the hunters will catch up to them in no time, but if they choose the cliff, they will not make the jump, even with a running start, the gap is just too long.

Looking at her, Namjoon holds on to the girl's shoulders, firmly holding on to her as he says, "Trust me."

With a barely noticeable nod, EunAe closes her eyes and holds on to him, letting out a small gasp as he throws both their weights down into the abyss.

For a moment, her heart drops when she feels the wind brushing past them at full force, but as they near the ground, the boy shifts into his dragon form, victoriously flying towards the sky and out of the cliff.

At the edge, the group prepares their weapons as the dragon comes within their range.

"What do we do about them?"

"Let them go for now."

"Sir?"

"He will join us in time. You'll see."

Up in the sky, the dragon soars above the clouds.

It seems like they finally managed to put some distance between them.

As they break through some clouds, EunAe's widen at the sight below them.

"Namjoon! There's a village!" She shouts over the wind.

She's right. But the warning doesn't give him enough time to change course, the townspeople quickly taking action against the dragon.

"It's a dragon!" Someone shouts. "Sound the alarm."

"It has taken a girl!" Another one yells.

"Ready your weapons!"

Oh no.

He will not make the same mistake twice. He has noticed by now that his dragon skin is impenetrable, so even if he takes a few hits he should be okay, but the girl is a different story.

Climb on my back. He says, helping the girl up with his "arms", though it is hard to do so in his dragon form.

Once she is safely on his back, he tells her to hold on. This is going to be a difficult flight.

Duck! He says as another arrow flies past them, the girl pressing herself against him as she does so.

It's still too dangerous. He thinks to himself.

For a brief moment, he is tempted to use his flames to slow the villagers down, but that will only do more harm than good.

As it is, the villagers are already afraid of him. Setting the village on fire will only fuel their fears, and that is the last thing he wants.

"Namjoon!" EunAe suddenly cries out.

He was so caught up in his thoughts, that he doesn't notice the canon ball shot his way until it is too late.

Boom.

Smoke flies everywhere making it hard to see.

EunAe! Are you okay?

"I'm okay." The girl responds with a cough.

"Shoot another one!" They hear below.

Climb down. He says, the girl sliding back into his claws. It is no longer safe for either one up there.

He has to make an emergency landing.

Boom.

Another hit.

This one harder to shake off. If he takes one more, they are not going to make it.

As another canon ball is shot his way, he tucks his wings in and drops like a rock, harshly landing on the ground.

How did you like the chapter? Things are heating up! Next update will be up in a few weeks. Thank you for reading! 💛
~Van
(2021.12.10)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

229K 8K 35
" I want to kiss you." His eyes widen as you got away a little, but still close enough. You kept staring at him as he was doing the same. Too stunne...
17K 663 21
my head leaning towards the wall. He stood in front of me, just a few inches away. Our breathing are in sync. I could instantly feel the warmth on my...
120 4 16
# an au where kim taehyung is a very sweet and soft boy but he was suddenly cursed by unknown and turns into someone very cold and has temper issues...
8.2K 551 27
You nervously look around the carriage, immediately spotting the dim blue light coming from the corner of the carriage. You walked closer to it, as t...