The Family I Needed

By Kim_the_Rabbit17

Charlotte has been living with Donald and the triplets a few months after being saved from the streets and ha... More

Before We Start
Woo-oo!
Escape To/From Atlantis
The Great Dime Chase
The House of the Lucky Gander
The Infernal Intership of Mark Beaks
The Living Mummies of Toth-Ra
McMystery at McDuck McManor
The Missing Links of Moorshire
The Spear of Selene
Beware the B.U.D.D.Y. System
The Golden Lagoon of White Agony Plains
JAW$
Sky Pirates... in the Sky
The Secret(s) of Castle McDuck
The Other Bin of Scrooge McDuck
The Last Crash of the Sunchaser
The Shadow War Part I: The Night of De Spell
Book 2 is Out!

The Shadow War Part II: The Day of the Ducks

6.7K 121 232
By Kim_the_Rabbit17

Everyone stared in shock as they watched Magica from the houseboat. Magica used her powers to take control of everyone's shadow in Duckburg. Magica created a purple, electric force field as she floated above the city of Duckburg. "Come to me, my shadow puppets!" Magica commanded. With each shadow she gains, her shadow vortex gets bigger and bigger. Everyone gasped as they saw their own shadows leave to Magica. "So, still going to Cape Suzette, right? Cool, yeah, I'll start the boat." Louie said as he began to walk away. Charlotte quickly grabbed his hoodie and dragged him back to the group.

Magica floated to the Money Bin, her shadow vortex growing bigger and bigger. She swirled the vortex around before swinging it to the Bin, creating a massive hole on the side. Everyone gasped at the sight. Magica entered the Bin and created a tall throne made out of Scrooge's money. She sat on her throne as the shadows formed into a giant vortex above the Bin.

"Magica De Spell!" Mrs. Beakley said while Donald gasped. "Wait, who?" Dewey asked. "Magica De Spell. A vile sorceress with a mysterious, ancient grudge against Clan McDuck. She was Scrooge's bitterest rival, but no one's seen her since they fought on Mount Vesuvius fifteen years ago." Webby explained. "Alright, all! Cool heads! We must help Scrooge before anything else-." Mrs. Beakley stopped herself when a mossy arm cling onto the houseboat.

Everyone but Charlotte screamed as they quickly moved away. The mossy creature began to climb onto the houseboat. "Take my brothers first, please!" Louie begged as he pushed Huey and Dewey forward. The mossy creature stood up and removed all the moss on its body to reveal Manny, the now-not-headless horseman from Scrooge's garage.

Wait... It's him! I didn't think I would see him again. "Oh." Donald said. "It's just Manny!" Huey said. Manny? Is that his name? Manny then helped pull up Gyro and Little Bulb. "That's it! No more underwater labs! It's volcanos or abandoned castles from now on!" Gyro shouted. "Dr. Gearloose!? What happened!?" Huey asked. "Our own shadows came to life and wrecked the lab." Huey was about to say something when Gyro stopped him. "But, my Shadow Control Ray is still in the test phase, so this one is not on me." Gyro said. "Everybody listen up!" Donald said before saying something really fast in his unique voice. Everyone looked at each other.

"What?"
What?

"Did anyone get any of that?" Launchpad asked. No, not really. "It's mostly context clues." Huey said. "We get, like, every third word." Louie said. "Nope. Completely unintelligible." Dewey said. Donald got offended. "I'll show you unintelligible!" Donald shouted as he chased after Dewey. "Ugh! I don't have time for this." Gyro said before pulling out a small device. "The Barksian Modulator! Able to translate neural impulses into sonic transmissions." Gyro said. "Huh?" Launchpad asked. Gyro sighed. "It's a voice box." Gyro simplified.

"Oh, okay."

"Yeah, good idea."

"What's took you so long?"

"Barksian Modulator."

"Buh."

Donald quacked angrily as he continued to chase Dewey. Gyro quickly grabbed Donald and held him as he forced Donald to swallow the modulator down to a specific spot. Donald got out of Gyro's grasp. "Hands off of me..." Donald's hard-to-understand voice suddenly changed to one that everyone could understand. "... you mad scientist!" Donald finished as he soon realized that his voice changed. Woah! That's a bit weird to hear. "Woah. He sounds so normal." Dewey said. "Rubber baby buggy bumpers. Rubber baby buggy bumpers. Rubber baby buggy bumpers!" Donald chuckled. "Wow, never been able to say that before!" Donald said in joy.

Donald cleared his throat before turning to everyone. "As I was saying, Uncle Scrooge is in trouble, and it's up to us to help him. Adventure is in our blood. We gave down perilous foes and endless danger everyday, but we always prevail. Because these Ducks don't back down!" Donald rallied. "Thank you, Donald. Now, we need to-."
"Stage a coordinated attack!" Donald finished for Mrs. Beakley.

Mrs. Beakley looked at Donald, surprised. "Gyro, you and your team will charge the bridge to distract Magica's shadow forces." Gyro cracked his neck while Manny cracked his hoofs. "Launchpad, head up the air attack to draw her attention. Do you think you can crash into the Bin?" Everyone then started laughing as Charlotte giggled. "Alright, alright, alright." Donald said before clearing his throat. "And, Beakley, while the others distract Magica, you and I will sneak around back in my newly fixed-up houseboat." Donald finished. "That is actually very close to what I was going to say." Mrs. Beakley said. All the kids then looked at Donald expectantly. "And we..."

Donald put the life vests on all of the kids on the dock. "Will stay here, and out of danger." Donald said. Everyone started to whine and complain. "This isn't an adventure. This is Magica De Spell. Under no circumstances are you kids to come to the Bin. Do you understand?" Donald asked.

"Yes, Uncle Donald."
"Yes, Donald."

Charlotte nodded her head. Donald saluted to them before getting on the houseboat, the houseboat taking off towards the Bin. Once Donald and Mrs. Beakley were far away, everyone took off their life vests. "So we're totally sneaking into the Money Bin, right?" Dewey asked excitedly. "But how are we gonna take on an entire shadow army?" Huey asked. "The Ducks don't back down! Now, if only we knew someone with experience breaking into places." Dewey said. "You mean like a noble teen ne'er-do-well who can break into anything, including your heart?" Webby asked. "Yeah, that'd be great." Dewey said. Everyone looked at him since the answer was obvious. Come on, Dewey! Dewey slowly gasped, as if he knew the answer. "Lena!" Huey and Webby said. "It's Lena!" Louie said. "Lena, right! I was gonna say Lena. Great." Dewey said.

As everyone took off to Lena's home, Dewey walked up to Charlotte. "Hey, Charlotte? I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. I thought back to what you said on the Sunchaser, and you were right. I had no right to say any of what I said. I hope you can forgive me." Dewey said. "We would like to say sorry, as well." Louie said as he and Huey walked up to Charlotte. "We said some stuff that we had no right to say, either. I hope you can forgive us." Huey said. Charlotte was shocked to hear them apologize to her, but she then smiled at them. 'It's okay. I forgive you.' She wrote. The triplets smiled as they continued forward.

They all soon made it to an abandoned amphitheater. Everyone was calling Lena's name while Charlotte was looking around. "Lena?" Huey called. "Yo, Lena!" Dewey called. "Where are you!?" Webby called. "Oh, what if my best friend was taken by the shadows?" Webby asked worriedly. ""Webby, don't lose faith. Remember, Ducks don't back..." Dewey stomped down on a trap door, the door lifting up to reveal a ladder leading downwards. "... down?" Dewey finished as everyone stared down at the ladder.

Everyone climbed down the ladder to enter a single room. The room was fairly simple, having a bed and some posters on the wall. Charlotte turned on the lights, which turned out to be black lights. "Is this where Lena lives?" Huey asked. "Buh! Explains why she's always sleeping over at our house." Louie said. Charlotte was a bit unsettled at the sight of Lena's home. "Lena!? Sorry to barge in unannounced!" Webby shouted as they began to explore her room.

"Maybe she's hiding?" Huey suggested. "A journal!" Dewey said as he pulled out Lena's journal from underneath Lena's nightstand. Webby quickly grabbed the journal from Dewey's hands. "You can't read her journal! Although if she were taken, she might have left a note." Webby said. Webby opened Lena's journal. "A poem! Best friend, rebel, poet. Is there anything Lena can't do?" Webby asked with a smile. Webby, please. Focus. Webby cleared her throat as she began to read aloud the poem.

"'To end the line of Clan McDuck,
she sought a token of their luck.
Lo, with the eclipse in its prime,
she'd trap old Scrooge within his dime'?
'But Scrooge reversed her vengeance planned,
and in his dime, the witch did land.
Yet as he struck the final blow,
she cast a spy from her shadow.
I walk the earth and wield her power
to bring about McDuck's last hour.'"

Wait. Then that means...! "Lena is Magica's spy!?" Louie asked. "Lena is a shadow!?" Huey asked. "She betrayed us all to free Magica. She was never my friend." Webby said as she sadly glanced down at her friendship bracelet she made for her and Lena. Oh, Webby... "You might not have her, but you still have us. We're family, and Ducks don't-."
"Save it." Webby cut Dewey off as she accidentally pushed Huey.

Huey stumbled backwards and pulled some curtains in the process, revealing a drawing that was shown due to the black light. "Uh, guys, check this out! Magica used the power of the eclipse to escape Scrooge's dime!" Huey explained the drawing. "Only to trap him there instead!" Louie finished. "We have to get to that dime and save Scrooge ourselves! And I know just how to Dewey it." Dewey said. Everyone rolled their eyes at Dewey's pun as they followed him.

Everyone gathered scuba supplies and swam to the wrecked underwater lab. Once they were in the lab, they pried the elevator doors open and swam up. They emerged in the garage level and began to take off their gear. Louie was the last one to emerge. "Look what I found!" Louie said as he held up his Khopesh. Everyone glared at him. "What!? We like Scrooge again! Oh, whatever, get your own Khopesh." Louie said as he got out of the water. "Elevator's busted. How are we gonna get to the Bin entrance on the top floor?" Dewey asked. Soon, everyone was panting as the were walking up the countless stairs the building had. Louie groaned loudly.

As they continued to inch closer to the top, everyone was becoming more tired. How can anyone do this? "So close." Dewey said tiredly. "Louie. Out." Louie said as he collapsed on the stairs. Everyone soon took notice that their shadows had returned, but Louie's shadow was standing on the stairs. "Um, guys, when did our shadows one back?" Huey asked. Red eyes suddenly appeared on their shadows as the shadows began to tackle and hold them back. "Cut the lights do we can't cast shadows!" Webby said. Charlotte, who had managed to dodge her shadow, quickly grabbed Louie's Khopesh and threw it at some wires on the wall before her shadow could get her.

Electricity buzzed as the lights soon cut off completely. "Now we can't see!" Huey shouted. "I can." Webby said as she put on her night vision goggles. "Everyone hold hands and form a chain behind Webby!" Dewey said. Everyone was beginning to form a chain, Charlotte making sure that her sleeves were grabbed instead of her hands. "Ew, Huey! Your hands are clammy!" Louie said as they soon made their way up. "Come on, guys! Ducks don't back down." Dewey said. "I've literally never heard that family motto before today!" Huey shouted. "Ugh. We're never going to find Scrooge's office!" Louie said.

Webby opened a door to reveal Scrooge's office. "I found Scrooge's office!" Dewey said. Everyone then gasped as tons of shadows appeared before them. Oh boy... "Okay, maybe we should have listened to-." Donald then attacked one of the shadows while screaming. Mr. Duck!? "Uncle Donald?" Dewey finished. "Get away from my kids!" Donald said as he finished off one shadow. Donald then started to attack the rest of the shadows, the kids watching in shock. When Donald was finished, he turned to the kids.

"We can explain!" Louie said. Donald smiled as he walked towards them. "Please. I told you not to come, so of course you showed up. And just when I need you." Donald said. "Classic reverse psychology. Feel like I should've seen that coming." Louie said. It wasn't long until more shadows appeared. Donald ushered the kids to the Bin entrance. "Go save your uncle. I'll keep these palookas at bay. Ducks don't back down." Donald said as he shut the vault door. "See!? I told you it's a thing!" Dewey said. "It's cooler when he does it." Huey said.

Charlotte took a deep breath. Let's do this. Everyone walked towards the edge of the platform when a purple beam zapped at the platform. The platform crumbled and collapsed underneath their feet and were sent falling. Webby was quick to use her grappling hook and caught everyone, forming a chain with Louie grabbing Charlotte's sleeve. Everyone landed on their feet unharmed as they looked up at Magica. "Ooh! Look. Children." Magica said. Everyone took a couple of steps back. Magica floated down to them from her throne. "Looking for this?" Magica asked as she showed the dime, Scrooge trapped inside. "Come and get it."

Magica laughed as she readied her staff. "Give us back our uncle!" Dewey demanded. "Oh, he's trapped forever inside the thing he loves most." Magica said as she held the dime. Scrooge looked at the kids, worried and scared for their safety. "Sorry." Magica said before she she started to attack. Everyone dodged out of the way. "Split up!" Webby said. "Then what!?" Huey asked as he started to run around. "Do what we do best. Make trouble!" Dewey said. Everyone smiled as they split up.

Magica walked around a bit, trying to find at least one of the kids. Huey suddenly appeared next to her, causing her to gasp. "Hey, couple of questions for you." Huey said. Magica aimed her staff at him and shot out a purple beam at him, but he managed to dodge the attack. "If you were caught in the dime, how come we never saw you in it?" Huey dodged an attack. "Also, Scrooge isn't exactly magical, so how did he manage to trap you in it?" Huey another attacked and appeared next to Magica again. "Follow up. How does the lunar eclipse factor into all this?" Huey asked. "Well, you see, I channel my powers-." Magica stopped herself before she could finish her answer. "It's just magic, okay?" Huey laughed as he dodged more attacks.

Magica fired at what she thought was Huey, but ended up breaking a mirror with Louie standing behind it. "Oh no! You broke the Mirror of Tyche!" Louie said. "The what now!?" Magica asked. "Ancient artifact? Terrible curse of you break it?" Louie asked smugly as he began to swim in the gold. "I've never heard of it, and I am versed in all magics. Gaelic, Demogorgan, Sumerian." Magica said as she attacked the gold, trying to hit Louie. Louie resurfaced to look at Magica. "Sumerian? You were in that dime a long time. Haha! Well, good luck with the curse!" Louie said as he swam in the gold again. "What kind of curse!?" Magica asked worriedly as she held up the dime. "Grave misfortune! Increased gullibility! A swift kick in the ribs!" Louie listed. "A what?" Magica asked. Webby yelled as she swiftly kicked Magica. "Ah! My ribs!" Magica screamed.

The force of the kick caused Magica to let go of the dime and sent it away from the fight. Charlotte quickly grabbed the dime and hid behind a large pile of gold coins. She looked down at her dime to see Scrooge looking at her. Charlotte opened her mouth, wanting to tell Scrooge that she was sorry. Sorry that she left the mansion and left him behind. She so desperately wanted to, but when no sound came from her mouth, she just broke down. Scrooge gave Charlotte a patient smile, understanding what she was trying to do.

When Magica recovered, Webby faced her in a fighting position while growling in anger. "Ooh. Someone's mad." Magica said as she fired at Webby. Webby ducked out of the way before running to Magica and punching her in the face. "I just got a family! I thought I had a best friend in Lena! But you took that all away!" Webby shouted as she kicked Magica down. Magica quickly threw some gold coins at Webby's eyes. Magica used the distraction to get away from Webby. When she got to higher ground, she turned around to attack Webby, but found that she wasn't there anymore. Magica quickly created a force field around her as Webby suddenly attacked her. "You are not a nice person!" Webby shouted as she kept attacking her.

As Magica was blocking Webby's attacks, she spotted Charlotte holding onto the dime. She held out her hand, trying to get the dime to float to her. When Charlotte noticed this, she held onto the dime as tight as she could. With each passing second, the force of Magica's power get stronger and stronger, until Charlotte accidentally let go. No! The dime flew to Magica's hand, causing her to glow and float. Magica laughed as she knocked Webby away from her, sending her tumbling down with tears in her eyes. "Lena couldn't be your friend, because she was never real!" Magica said. Webby glared at her. "I don't believe you." Webby said. Magica only shrugged in response.

Dewey jumped towards Magica in an attempt to surprise-attack her. However, Magica caught Dewey with her magic and flung him towards Webby. The two were knocked back to a giant pile of gold. "You had sleepovers with a shadow. You have it a friendship bracelet! Honestly, it's embarrassing how pathetic you were. Here, let me put you out of your misery!" Magica said. She aimed her staff at Webby and Dewey and shot a laser at them. Webby raised her arms up to protect herself, but her friendship bracelet glowed and created a blue force field around her and Dewey. "What!?" Magica asked. "Huh?" Webby asked as she looked at her friendship bracelet.

Webby's shadow turned blue and reached out to Magica's shadow. When Webby's shadow cane in contact with Magica's shadow, her shadow turned blue as well. Magica's shadow rose up behind Magica and turned into Lena. Magica gasped once she spotted Lena, stopping her attack. No way! "Get away from my best friend, Aunt Magica!" Lena yelled as she tackled Magica to the ground. "Lena!?" Webby asked, surprised. Magica and Lena began to wrestle each other. "Aunt!? You're even worse than her! You aren't my family! You are nothing!" Magica yelled as she shot at Lena. The shot landed and Lena screamed as she completely disappeared. "No!" Webby yelled as tears fell down her cheeks.

Charlotte gasped at the sight as her own tears ran down her face. Webby screamed as she ran to Magica. Magica created a force field, but it didn't matter as Webby punch the force field. The power of each punch was enough for the dime to slip out of Magica's hand. Dewey slid by and caught the dime. "Got it!" Dewey said as he began to run away. "Hey!" Magica yelled. Charlotte soon joined the fight and pulled on Magica's hair, making her miss her attack.

Dewey his behind a pile of gold coins and looked at the dime. "So, listen, Uncle Scrooge, I guess I get why you didn't tell us about our mom. And maybe we should've realized that when we lost our mom, you lost her too." Dewey said. Scrooge had tears in his eyes. "But..." Dewey then ducked as a beam cut through the gold. "Okay, not the best time for a heart-to-heart!" Dewey said.

Dewey began to run away, barely avoiding the beams sent his way. Magica had finally had enough and sent Webby and Charlotte flying. "That's mine!" Magica shouted. She raised her hands, creating a giant hand to block Dewey's path. Magica the shot a beam at Dewey. Dewey screamed as he held the dime in front of him, the dime taking the hit. A ray of light shined down at the dime. The dime soon glowed as it lifted into the air. There was a bright flash, and Scrooge landed on his feet, now free from his dime. Mr. McDuck! Scrooge laughed happily as he caught the dime in his hands. "Thanks, lad!" Scrooge said. Dewey smiled at Scrooge.

Scrooge faced Magica. "Way to dispel your own spell, De Spell!" Scrooge said. Magica shot at Scrooge, but he avoided the attacking by swimming in his gold. He resurfaced and began to fight Magica. "You know, I ought to thank you." Scrooge said. "For showing you how weak and pathetic you truly are? You're welcome." Magica said as she attacked, which Scrooge avoided with ease. "If you hadn't attacked me, my family may well have left forever. By trying to destroy me, you sort of saved my family." Scrooge said. "That's not what happened!" Magica said as she shot at Scrooge again, only for him to block the attack with a simple vase. Scrooge then flung Magica's staff out of her hands and into the air.

Above, everyone was entering the Bin when Donald spotted Magica's staff flying up. Donald quickly ran to the edge. "I've got it!" Donald said as he tried to catch it. However, he missed and slid down to the bottom, the staff landing in his head. The staff cracked upon impact and began to glow. Magica was then surrounded by a purple swirl and screamed as her magic exited out of her. Soon, all the shadows in the sky disappeared and returned to their rightful owners.

Magica groaned as she landed on the floor, her green feathers now being a normal white. She slowly got up and tried to use her powers, but found that she couldn't. "My powers! They're gone! You ruined everything!" Magica yelled. Before she could do anything, she looked up as she saw something, or someone, falling. "Sorry to crash the party!" Launchpad yelled as he landed on Magica. The impact was strong enough to cause a wave of gold coins.

Launchpad soon emerged from the gold coins. "Huh. Never crashed a me before." He said. Magica groaned as she pushed Launchpad off of her, standing up dizzily. She soon faced Scrooge. "Curse you, McDuck! You haven't seen the last of me!" Magica yelled. Magica threw down a smoke bomb and disappeared, only for them to hear her coughing as she was running away. Everyone cheered as Magica fled the scene.

Charlotte looked behind her and noticed Webby looking sadly at her friendship bracelet in her hands. "Lena's... gone." Webby said. "But she sacrificed herself to save you." Huey said. "Huh. I guess she really was my best friend." Webby said. "She'll always be with you." Dewey said. The triplets then hugged Webby whole Charlotte gave her small, kind smile. When they separated, Webby put on her friendship bracelet. As soon as she did, her shadow turned into Lena, who was smiling, before turning back to Webby's shadow.

The triplets walked up to Scrooge. Scrooge turned to them. "Huey. Louie. The third one." Dewey gave a deadpanned expression. Scrooge slowly smiled. "Curse me kilts, have I missed you." Scrooge said. The triplets smiled as they tackled Scrooge into a hug, Webby soon joining in. Charlotte smiled brightly at the scene. "Family truly is the greatest-." Donald began to say, but started to choke on the modulator. Donald coughed violently until he managed to cough out the modulator, which was covered in saliva. Everyone grimaced until Scrooge covered it up with some gold coins.

Well, it was bound to happen. "Anyone up for a midnight swim?" Scrooge asked. Everyone cheered as they all began to swim in Scrooge's money. Even Charlotte joined in on the fun. Finally. Everything is back to normal.

It wasn't long until everyone moved back into the mansion. There was tons of pizza boxes to throw out, but they managed to get the job done together. Soon, the mansion returned to its former glory. The cleanup tuckered everyone out and everyone turned in for the night.

Charlotte was in her room, getting ready to call it a night when there was a knock on her door. "It's me, lass. May I come in?" Scrooge asked from behind the door. Charlotte walked over to the door and opened it for Scrooge. "You settling in okay, lass?" Scrooge asked. Charlotte nodded her head. "That's good." There was some silence until Scrooge spoke again. "Can I speak to you for a minute?" Scrooge asked. Charlotte slowly nodded her head.

They both sat down on the edge of Charlotte's bed. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. For everything. You didn't deserve to go through all of that. I'm so sorry, lass." Scrooge said. Charlotte was taken aback. The last person she expected to apologize to her was Scrooge. In her eyes, he did nothing wrong. Sure, building the rocket did end up with Della getting lost into space, but that was something that he didn't expect to happen. Charlotte looked at Scrooge to see him looking down at the ground. Mr. McDuck... She slowly took Scrooge's hand.

"I-It's okay."

Scrooge turned his head to Charlotte, eyes wide. "L-Lass! You...!" Charlotte nodded her head. "I-I trust y-you." She said. Scrooge slowly smiled. Charlotte's hand began to shake until she let go of Scrooge's hand. "S-Sorry." She said. "It's okay, lass. We'll work on it. Together." Charlotte smiled as she and Scrooge gaze up at the moon.

On the moon, a wrecked spaceship was scattered around. Someone was building a tv until finally managing to get a signal. "And so Duckburg is saved, thanks to Scrooge McDuck and his family." Roxanne Featherly said on the tv. A hand touched the screen. The person lifted up her googles to reveal Della Duck, alive and well. She gasped. "Boys?" She asked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88K 203 164
For this version of DuckTales Donald is a mage like in Kingdom Hearts and the true main character. Join the most daring adventurer in history, the le...
2.5K 75 29
With one year in the DTU and Season 1 wrapped up, things are looking awesome for my life here in DuckTales! Some adventures are epic with daring dos...
45.3K 1K 21
Book One!! Update: THE WHOLE SERIES IS NOW COMPLETED! It includes all 3 seasons across 4 (and counting) books! Enjoy! 😊 I fell into the world of Du...
49.7K 1.5K 19
Louie always had inner demons, but when they start to get worse, Louie questions not only his bad side but his good side. (Contains: bad thoughts, b...