Royal Obligations

由 FictionalCasualtiez

Cordelia doesn't have a last name. She doesn't have a family. And she doesn't have a home. She's been stuck i... 更多

Prologue
Chapter 1: One Way Ticket
Chapter 2: The Switch
Chapter 3: Assumptions
Chapter 4: Team Cinderella
Chapter 5: To Pull an America Singer
Chapter 6: The Company of Forrest
Chapter 7: Predictable Behavior
Chapter 8: Open Secrets of Cordelia Schreave
Chapter 9: The Secret Dictionary To Affection.
Chapter 10: The America Singer Part Two
Chapter 12: The One and Only Lucy Leger
Chapter 13: Forrest's Favorite
Chapter 14: Jealousy
Chapter 15: The Return of Lila
Chapter 16: The Perfect King
Chapter 17: Schizophrenic
Chapter 18: Teamwork Material
Chapter 19: Fatal Truths
Chapter 20: Knight In Shining Armor
Chapter 21: Phase Two
Chapter 22: Frenzy
Chapter 23: The Fall of A Queen
Chapter 24: Choice(s)
Chapter 25: Dear Lila
Chapter 26: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 27: Old Habits
Chapter 28: The Best Part
Chapter 29: Enough Is Never Enough
Chapter 30: Dangerous Territory
Chapter 31: Lost and Found
Chapter 32: To Kill or Be Killed
Chapter 33: One Dead. One Broken.
Chapter 34: The Competition Grows
Chapter 35: His Diabolical Plan
Chapter 36: New Plan
Chapter 37: Team Forrest
Chapter 38: The Mercenaries
Chapter 39: The Ghost In The Mirror
Chapter 40: False Regret
Chapter 41: I Love Him; I Love Him Not
Chapter 42: Chased By A Demon
Chapter 43: You Can Call Me Lila
Chapter 44: Bone Shattering Relief
Chapter 45: Patterns
Chapter 46: One Simple Question
Chapter 47: Honesty Is The Best Policy
Chapter 48: Deaths and Threats
chapter 49: 150 Dresses
Chapter 50: The Coronation
Chapter 51: Walking Dead
Chapter 52: Those Wedding Bells Ring
Epilogue

Chapter 11: Honest Truths

1.3K 69 9
由 FictionalCasualtiez

I open my doors, pretending to be startled when I see Prince Harlan sitting on my bed.

"You scared me." I press a hand to my heart.

Prince Harlan stands up and walks over to me. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to jump down your throat earlier. I just- It's a sensitive topic for me. I don't like to be seen that way, and I didn't want you to see me like that kind of man."

I smile up at him, making it as genuine looking as I can. "Prince Harlan, I don't see you that way. I never did to begin with. I'm not sure how the rules work around here, and I wanted to make sure..." I trail off.

Like he was hesitating, or considering this move for a long time, he reaches out and takes my hands in his. "Cordelia, don't call me Prince Harlan. Or Your Majesty. Just Harlan. I would never pressure you into something you weren't ready for."

I squeeze his hands. "Okay. I believe you."

He takes one of my hands and presses the top to his lips. "I will see you tomorrow, Cordelia. I would like to take you out for lunch."

I smile toward him, shocking myself of how genuine it almost was. "Sure. I guess I'll tag along."

He chuckles and walks over to my door. With his hand resting on the doorknob, he glances over his shoulder, looking me in the eyes. "You look absolutely stunning tonight." he says.

Making myself blush, and I didn't have to try too hard, I smile shyly toward him. "Thank you." Then he leaves the room, letting all three of my maids enter my bedroom once again. Elise squeals as Athena grins and Daisy has on her normal neutral expression.

"It worked." Elise winks and nudges my arm.

"I guess it did." I laugh for real.

"We must get you ready for bed, miss."

The voice shocks me as I turn my attention to Daisy.

"I would prefer you call me Cordelia." I say to her and her expression doesn't change.

"And it is my job to call you miss." Daisy says in return as she goes into my closet.

"Daisy has a point," Athena says. "I feel it is inappropriate for us to call you anything more than miss." she then follows Daisy into my closet.

I wasn't quite positive what her and Daisy's relationship was just yet. But they definitely shared some kind of connection. It wasn't something I would look into, though. I have more important things to worry about than my maids calling me by my first name.

Elise sighs. "Those two are such buzz kills. Well, for one I don't think it's inappropriate at all and if they have a problem with it they can report me." she says in an annoyed tone and disappears into my closet.

They must be talking about me in there. It doesn't take that long to find a nightgown.

Elise exits with Athena and Daisy trailing behind her. Elise hands me my pajamas and my two other maids gasp.

"I know you don't like that we dress you, and I understand that."

"Elise what are you doing?" Athena snaps. "Show her some respect-"

"This is very much respect," I say to Athena, but not in a malicious way. I was just being honest. Which is a rare occasion. "She understands that I feel very uncomfortable when others do things for me that I can very much do myself. I appreciate your help, really. But I would like to be more independent." Without waiting for a response, I walk into the bathroom and change. And I couldn't explain how much relief I got from doing something as simple as dressing myself again.

***

I lay in my bed, looking up at the ceiling. This happens to me most nights. Where I just lay awake in my bedroom, staring at the ceiling like it will lull me to sleep. The truth is, I had too much bouncing around in my brain to fall asleep. I couldn't stop thinking about Prince Forrest and his kisses and why I didn't push him off in the first place. I couldn't stop thinking about Prince Harlan, and how I felt guilty in making him believe he did something wrong. All these thoughts and questions and I never get answers. They build up in my mind, sitting like ducks. Many, many ducks. It's so crowded in the pond it's beginning to overflow.

I sit up in my bed with a deep sigh and run a hand through my blond hair. I doubt anything could really settle me, and I didn't have anything to write about at the moment.

I slip out of bed and grab the book on King Clarkson from the surface of my dresser. I jump back in bed and begin to read.

After an hour went by, I really didn't find anything all that interesting. Everything I read about were just facts. What I really wanted were opinions, observations.

I skim through the rest of the book until I get to the very last chapter. All it did was summarize the entire book and I slammed the cover with frustration. I needed something more reliable. And that's when it hit me.

I was so stupid.

Of course the truth wouldn't be on display for anyone who wants to see it. Most times, the truth is hidden. And in this case, concerning King Clarkson, wasn't going to be on the dusty old shelves. I needed honest opinions, honest truths.

And I knew just where to find them.

***

"Are you crazy?" Felicity says in shock as we sit in the woman's room, her on one side of the chess board and me on the other.

"Yes, very much so." I reply with a smirk. "I didn't think you would fight me on this."

"Cordelia, you are giving up a date with the prince." She says in disbelief. "And for what? You won't even tell me."

I sigh and give her a pointed look. "I need this favor from you. I don't really mind, Felicity. It was going to happen sooner or later."

Felicity blushes just a little. "I doubt that. They both seem to act neutral around me. But with you... Last night Harlan and Forrest were practically fighting over you."

Not in the sense that you think.

"Exactly, so this is your chance to go to lunch with Harlan. It's not like he was going to propose to me." I roll my eyes.

"Let me get this straight," Felicity says, holding up a hand. "You want me to basically hijack your date, so you can go off on some mysterious mission?"

"I wouldn't call it mysterious, but yes." I say with a genuine smile. "Felicity..." I sing. "You know you want to," I continue singing.

"Okay fine, if you insist." She laughs.

I clap my hands together. "Wonderful. So just hang out in my room, and when he comes hand him this," I give her a note that proves I made her do this. "You know, so he doesn't think you are actually hijacking my date."

Felicity gives me a warm smile. "Thanks Cordelia."

***

I wasn't exactly going under cover, but I didn't want to look like a selected either. Of course the help would know who I was, but they would feel less intimidated if I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. And Elise was happy to help with that.

"Should I ask why?" She questioned me.

"I don't think you want to know." I responded.

So here I was, wearing one of Elise's t-shirts and a pair of her jeans. Granted I was skinnier than her only because of the lack of food I was given my entire life, but that was nothing a simple belt couldn't fix.

I made my way down the steps, hoping that I would go unnoticed. Turned out, since I was previously a foster child I fit in perfectly with the help. No one question me as I made my way down another flight of stairs, leading to the floor where the cooking and cleaning and dress making was done.

But as I rounded a corner a figure jumped out in front of me, actually catching me off guard for once in my life.

"Jesus Christ," I jump and see Prince Forrest smirking at me. "Oh no. You have got to be kidding me." I groan with frustration.

He continues to smirk as he takes in my appearance. "You got bored of the dresses?"

I sigh loudly and run a hand over my face. "I really cannot deal with you right now."

"Of course you can," Forrest waves off as he takes a step closer to me. "You have to, remember? Charming me and my brother is in the job description." He winks and I take a deep breath, controlling my irritation.

"Why are you down here in the first place?" I ask, beginning to walk to my destination and not letting someone like Forrest stop me. I had an limited amount of time before Felicity's date was over with Harlan, and he would come looking for me.

"I heard you gave Lady Felicity your date with my brother, so being myself I was insanely curious to why you would give up a chance to spend quality time with your safety net."

I scowl at him and begin to walk faster.

"Cordelia, you are so sexy when you're irritated. A man can only take so much."

I stop short and clench my fists. "Are you done?" I turn toward him to see the snarky expression he always seemed to wear around me.

"On the contrary." He drawls. "I plan on spending quality time with you. And if I remember correctly..." He trails off, pretending he has to actually think about it. "You can't refuse me."

My menacing look only made him laugh. "Well come on, Cordelia." Forrest loops his arm around mine and I stiffen. "We're off to see the wizard."

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

78.7K 1.9K 44
~ 'Matthew slid closer to me so our bodies were pressed up against each other in a not to intimate way. "I hope I cross your mind every once in a whi...
109K 1.2K 29
Completed: What if America didn't find out about her father passing until the morning? What if Maxon didn't hear that crash in the hallway the night...
165K 1.4K 62
America finally has Maxon. Happily married. She has the responsibilities as queen. Everyone adores the royal couple. But when Maxon starts to drink a...
9.5K 146 11
Not finished. Very sporadic updates. Hi! This is a book of what the Selection would look like if America told Maxon that she loved him that night in...