Echo in the Night|| OC

By awhoresconcubine

She is a gift from the Greek Gods. The daughter of Hecate, Goddess of Witchcraft and Magic. She is the one de... More

Character/Author note
Prologue
Chapter one: Diagon Alley
Chapter two: The Leaky Cauldron
Chapter three: Corporeal Patronus
Chapter Four: Hippogriff Slashing
Chapter Five: House-elves
Chapter six: Boggart
Chapter seven: Start of a bond
Chapter Eight: Halloween Eve
Chapter Nine: Flight of the Fat Lady pt.1
Chapter ten: Flight of The Fat Lady pt.2
Chapter Eleven: Fudge
Chapter twelve: Grim Defeat
Chapter thirteen: Hinkypunks
Chapter fourteen: The Marauder's Map
Chapter Fifteen: Holidays
Chapter Sixteen: The Patronus
Chapter Eighteen: Hermione's punch
Chapter Nineteen:The Completed Prediction
Chapter Twenty: The Servant of Lord Voldemort
Chapter Twenty One: Second Bite's The Charm?
Chapter Twenty Two: Your Self-Hatred Can Go Fuck Itself
Echo In The Night: Fourth Year
Chapter Twenty Three: A Cottage Full of Traumatized Queers
Chapter Twenty Four: Shut Up! You're All Gonna Die. Street Smarts!
A/N

Chapter Seventeen: Hogwarts skeleton key

1.9K 95 71
By awhoresconcubine

"Yes," he sighed, "well- not officially, at least. We acted like one and considered ourselves as a one — just never made it official."

"Fucking knew it," she muttered under her breath.

"Why? Did he ever say anything?" Black asked hopefully.

"Didn't have too. Every time he mentioned 'Padfoot', there was a glint in his eyes, the same one you get . . . bit pathetic really," Echo answered, mumbling the last part.

"What's pathetic—," he paused, taking a large bite out of an apple Echo had brought him. "— is you hanging out with a convicted murderer that's twice your age, instead of going to a bloody school Quidditch match, Kitty-cat," Black said, giving a playful wink at the end.

He was right. After Harry got his Firebolt back from McGonagall, his practices have been nonstop. Resulting in Echo attending his practices, and getting so fed up with the sport that if someone approached her and asked her to play, she would shove their broomstick up their ass and call it a day.

"Not everyone loves Quidditch," said Echo, flatly.

Sirius shifted his position on the thick, fallen log, laying on his stomach with his legs up, kicking them in the air like some child. Her Patronus was situated next to her, preventing any dementors from coming near. They were in the Forbidden Forest; against Echo's better judgment.

"You know, —" he took another bite of his apple. — "I can never fully understand you, Echo Creed. You're like this big bubble of mystery, yet a completely open book at the same time — but like a book written in invisible ink." Sirius grinned playfully, resting his chin on his palm.

"Oh? Please, do elaborate more on your comparison," she responded dryly, setting her journal and quill down, looking up.

"Exactly," he said pointing at her. "When I first met you —"

"— You mean our interaction that lasted for less than two minutes when I caught you mauling a painting after you broke into the castle — ?"

"—technicalities," he waved his hand impatiently. "You acted as if I was a mere inconvenience. And I'm not ashamed to admit this; I was slightly intimidated. I went to the Shrieking Shack that night, mulling over how you reacted — you weren't surprised, threatened, or intimidated — And with my amazing observation skills—" Echo snorted— "I believed you to be egotistical, over-confident, and overall just a bitch. Then," he paused for some unsuccessful dramatic effect, "when you started visiting, you still had that stone cold face. But, you started showing your caring side and your sense of humor — no matter how dry — although you never smile or laugh—"

"— your point?" Echo asked with a bored expression.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you that interrupting was rude?" Black pointed out, teasingly.

"As often as your mother told you she loved you," Echo retorted with small smirk.

" . . . . that's cold, Kitty-cat."

She rolled her eyes, "You're really gonna run with that nickname?"

Sirius smiled mischievously, "If it annoys you — which it does — than yes."

"Anyway — point is, you don't show what you're feeling, yet you're very straightforward, but your whole—" he gestured to all of Echo— "emotionless mask thing, you put on, makes everyone think that they have to decode everything you say and express. Which makes you, very confusing."

Echo blinked at him a couple times before saying dryly, "That makes absolutely no sense, what so ever."

"You're right, it doesn't," he agreed, matter-of-factly after pausing to think about it for a second.

"—Harry caught the snitch! Gryffindor wins! You here that you nasty Slytherins?! We're gonna crush you until there's nothing, you slimy, scaly gits—!"

"—JORDAN—!"

Lee Jordan's voice shouting into the microphone could be heard about a half a mile into the forbidden forest.

"And, that's my cue " Echo sighed, getting up and stuffing her journal in her bag. "As much as I love our conversations, I must be going. And so should you. You shouldn't be risking your freedom any more than necessary, especially after the order the Minister granted the dementors."

"I wish I could see Harry ride his broomstick — I mean I bought it," Sirius grumbled sourly under his breath.

"You shouldn't—"

Rustling in the bushes caught both of their attentions. Sirius shifted back into a dog and Echo had her wand securely in her grip.

A bright orange fluff ball leaped out, followed by another, fluff ball that was red. the squashed face cat had something white in her mouth, strutting over to the relieved, black dog. She started rubbing her side against the dogs legs.

Sionna pranced to Echo, standing on her hind legs and placing her front paws on her thigh. Echo took that as a message to be picked up, and placed Sionna on her shoulders.

Crookshanks dropped the white thing on the ground in front of Sirius. It wasn't long before the black dog licked Crookshanks with one swipe of its tongue, and ran off with the note. Echo's eyes followed Black's figure curiously until he disappeared, and turned her focus onto Crookshanks.

"You're bloody weird for a cat," muttered Echo, staring the cat in its yellow eyes. "Also poor at killing mice."

The ugly cat blinked at the two-legged creature, then scurried off.

Echo shrugged, turning to walk towards the Quidditch pitch, letting her Patronus charm fall.

That cat had caused a wedge in the Trio's friendship. The night Harry got his Firebolt back, Ron accused Hermione's cat of killing Scabbers. There was pretty convincing evidence; blood and several ginger cat hairs covered his bed sheet, and Scabbers was missing.

It looked like the end of Ron and Hermione's friendship. Each was so angry with the other that nobody could see how they'd ever make up. Hermione had been hanging around Neville and Echo for the past two weeks. She even attends the tutoring sessions, though she hasn't been helping as she had her own work drowning her. Echo offered help more than once, but Hermione was adamant about completing the heavy workload herself.

The two completely ignored each other's existence; when Harry was at practice, Ron would be with Dean and Seamus, and when Echo was with Lupin, Hermione would stay with Neville or Hagrid.

Ron and Hermione's ruined friendship was all for nothing, that's the issue; because 'Scabbers' wasn't dead.

Echo has been trying to convince Black not to kill Peter for awhile; if he was dead, then Black would have no chance proving his innocence. Before Peter faked his own death(the second time), she's been actively finding opportunities to capture him; but to no avail. Peter was always in the Gryffindor common room or with Ron.

Now, she believes that the right opportunity will present itself. There were times when patience and strategy, was ultimately better and more efficient than immediate action; something Black either didn't agree with, or just couldn't understand.

No matter Black's ignorant thoughts on the issue — Echo enjoyed his overall presence. He brought out her sarcastic side more often than not, a side she was never really aware of. It was refreshing in the same way Lupin's warm and inviting presence was; something she hasn't experienced before, yet found herself feeling comfortable with.

~~~~~~~~~~

Echo would take Lupin's hot chocolate over a party, any day. Call her anti-social, but there was just something so satisfying, about drinking something so warm and sweet while a large, comfy blanket draped over your legs; rather than being surrounded by loud people in a small room, with the Trio's drama filling the air.

"If your teaching career doesn't pan out, you should seriously consider the hot chocolate industry," Echo mumbled before gulping down a considerable amount.

Lupin chuckled, sitting on the other end of the couch, taking a small sip of his own.

"I'm surprised you haven't gotten a stomach ache after drinking so many of those," said Lupin, smiling in her direction.

"I've never really gotten sick," she stated, looking down into her mug, counting her marshmallows; she had three. "The only things that affect my physical health are wounds and poisons — and my period," she stated with her usual monotone voice.

Lupin's brows lifted an inch. "Does it- uh, have anything to do with you being a Demigod . . . and all?" he said, trying to sound causal mentioning the 'Demigod thing.'

"Probably," she said nonchalantly.

Lupin nodded, humming in response.

Her Demigod status has still, remained a mystery to him. He wanted nothing more than to ask her rapid fire questions about it; thirsty for any knowledge regarding the subject. But the boundary line she had for him was nothing but a blur.

Unbeknownst to him, the only boundary line drawn for Lupin, was about anything regarding her life prior to two years ago. The line for everybody else differed.

"It's a shame you missed the match. Harry gave Mr.Malfoy quite a fright with his Patronus," Lupin said, causing Echo to look up.

"Why did he feel the need to cast a Patronus?" Echo asked, a touch defensive. She needed to know if she neglected her responsibility of watching over Harry.

"No need to worry," said Lupin lightly. "Malfoy and his friends just poorly decided it would be funny if they were to dress themselves in long, black hooded robes — disguising themselves as dementors."

"How strong was it?" she questioned, pulling out her journal and a muggle pen.

"Stronger than any from his lessons," Lupin informed, watching Echo write in the journal he got her for Christmas. "It almost took form."

Echo hummed thoughtfully in reply. She's noted that Harry performs best under pressure — it might be the Gryffindor in him, or just the fact that he's been caught up in so much shit that he's had no choice but to adapt. Either way.

"You know, I'm curious," said Lupin, setting down his steaming mug. "A Patronus holds some meaning in one's life. And I don't think I've ever heard of a panther Patronus."

Echo responded without looking up, or pausing her writing. "The panther is said to be the symbol of the mother, the dark moon and the power of the night. I believe that to be my mother, Hecate."

"How so?"

"One of her celestial bodies is the moon, especially the dark moon phase; she's known as the mother of witchcraft and magic; and she can be perceived as the Queen of the night."

"Anything about you?" Lupin inquired, paying close attention.

She shrugged, "Panthers are associated with people who are capable with having lots of power. Also, with those who enjoy solitary and find comfort with themselves."

"Yeah that sounds like you," Lupin muttered.

"What about you?" she said thoughtfully, looking up. "What's your Patronus?"

"Oh- uh, well- it's a," he cleared his throat, raising his mug to his lips. "A wolf." He thought his voice would be too muffled by the mug for Echo to understand him — he was wrong.

Echo paused completely. She blinked for a couple moments before commenting, "Either the Gods had it out for you, or your parents did."

Lupin's eyebrows pulled together, "What do you mean?"

"You're seriously asking me that?"

When he didn't respond, Echo continued, "You are a-were—"

"—funny—"

"— I though so," she quipped. "But your Patronus is a wolf. You're also a werewolf . . . and you do know that your name literally means wolf wolf, right? Lupin is derived from the Latin word, Lupinus, which means 'of a wolf.' Remus is a figure from Roman mythology who was raised by a wolf. . ."

Realization seemed to have smacked him in his face a couple times. Lupin grumbled something under his breath, taking another drink of his cocoa — silently wishing it was spiked with some fire whiskey right about now.

"It makes sense your Patronus is a wolf," said Echo, going back to her writing.

"Because I'm a werewolf?" Lupin grumbled further.

Echo rolled her eyes, "Believe or not, Moony, your Lycanthropy has nothing to do with your Patronus. Your Patronus is a wolf because it shows that you care about the ones closest to you, you'll protect them until the end, you're loyal. It also proves that you're strong, and a natural leader."

"I- well, I never thought about it that way," Lupin muttered.

Echo humored the idea that Fenrir choose to bite him not to be a dick, but because it was ironic. Then remembered that Fenrir, was in fact, just a dick. Sirius's whole life was ironic in a way, too. He was the literal embodiment of her mother. Black's Animagus form was a black dog, the most common form, or familiar Hecate uses; also one of her most sacred animals. He was named after the Dog Star, 'Sirius', the other celestial body of Hecate. They may only have a black dog in common, but it really does sum up their entire being's.

Lupine shrugged off his coat, placing it on the arm of his chair. The sweater underneath caught Echo's attention.

"I see that you like your new sweater," she observed, smirking internally.

Lupin looked down, and pulled on the soft fabric, examining it. "Yes, I do. It's probably the coziest one I own."

Echo noticed that he didn't care if it looked good, or that it was expensive. Just that it was comfy. It made sense why Lupin cared so much for comfort; Why he ate chocolate religiously, a known comfort food; why he had the coziest blankets and chairs; why he had a warm aura in general.

It was because he lacked comfort from other people for majority of his life, so he had to make up for it.

"You wouldn't have happened to check the tag, have you?"

Lupin narrowed his eyes suspiciously, "No, why?" he said slowly.

Echo set her mug down and twirled her finger, silently instructing him to turn around.

Lupin did as told, a bit reluctantly. He felt a sharp tug on the back of his neck, and a heard a small rip.

He turned around to find the tag held out in between her forefinger and thumb.

Lupin fixed his gaze on Echo. Her face was calm, as usual, but her eyes had a hint of amusement in them.

Plucking the tag from her fingers, he began to read,

Machine wash cold
Tumble dry low
No bleach
100% Wool

Moony looked up at Echo with a deadpan expression. There was no amusement in his eyes, unlike Echo's.

"You're a wolf in sheep's clothing," she said, raising her mug to her lips, hiding her small smile.

                               ~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night, Echo and Moony, both woke to a serious of sharp knocks. The two had fallen asleep on the couch, each at opposite ends, from talking all night. Their discussion carried on from Echo's little joke to the Trio's friendship that has currently hit the rocks and sank to the bottom.

Lupin was the one to reach the door first. A panicked McGonagall and a slightly less than composed Dumbledore, busted through once the door was opened enough.

McGonagall stood panicky to the side while Dumbledore told him a very summarized story of Black's most recent break in. Only that he got into the Gryffindor common room, and slashed Ronald Weasley's curtains.

Shit. She forgot to tell Black of Scabbers' disappearance. Oops.

That was enough for Lupin to pale dramatically and hurriedly grab his wand. He rushed towards the door, but paused in the doorway, swiveling in his spot to point at Echo with the most serious expression she's ever seen him use, "Stay here."

Lupin followed suit after McGonagall and Dumbledore.

Moony returned at dawn, looking utterly exhausted and defeated. They didn't find Black.

Throughout the day, everywhere she went she saw signs of tighter security; Professor Flitwick could be seen teaching the front doors to recognize a large picture of Sirius Black; Filch was suddenly bustling up and down the corridors, boarding up everything from tiny cracks in the walls to mouse holes. Sir Cadogan had been fired. Not like that effected Echo much. The Fat Lady had been restored, but was extremely nervous, and had agreed to return to her job only if she was given extra protection. A bunch of surly security trolls had been hired to guard her.

Neville was in total disgrace. Black found his note with all the passwords, that's how he got into the Gryffindor common room. Professor McGonagall was so furious with him she had banned him from all future Hogsmeade visits, given him a detention, and forbidden anyone to give him the password. Poor Neville had to wait outside the common room until someone let him in.

Echo searched the castle for him when she found out from Dean and Seamus; she discovered him curled in a small ball in an abandoned greenhouse, crying.
It took almost an hour of coaxing to get him to go to lunch with her.

To say she was furious was an understatement.

After lunch, she left Neville with Dean and Seamus and left to McGonagall's office.

Echo knocked firmly three times on the solid oak door. Two seconds passed before she head a curious "Come in."

She opened the door just enough for the upper half of her body to be seen. The office space was occupied by Professors Dumbledore, Lupin, and McGonagall.
They all looked relatively disheveled from staying up all night.

She didn't mind an audience.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything, I don't mean to be rude," said Echo politely. Lupin made a questioning face, silently asking why Echo was here. She ignored it.

"Not at all, Ms Creed. Was there something you needed?" Dumbledore asked pleasantly.

"Yes actually," she said, stepping into the room and closing the door behind her. "I was hoping to speak with Professor McGonagall."

"Me?" McGonagall asked surprise. Echo was known to only talk with Professor Lupin.

Echo nodded.

"Well then, what is it you wanted to discuss?" McGonagall questioned promptly.

Echo stepped into further into the room, loosely crossing her arms over her chest. "Neville's punishment."

Oh no, Lupin thought immediately, not knowing for sure, how this'll play out; not with two women who were unbelievably stubborn. It was obvious that Echo cared for Neville. One of the many reasons he has such high respect for her; she befriended a kid that needed one.

He exchanged a glance with Dumbledore. Both agreeing with their eyes that there was a chance this wasn't going to go well. Though, the two wizards were curious to know who would have the last word.

Professor McGonagall looked at Echo bewildered for a moment, then a hard expression took over her features, "I'm afraid there isn't anything to discuss. Neville's punishment is something that I, as his Head of House, decides on. He made a foolish, foolish mistake."

"I respect you as a teacher and as a mentor, however, I cannot respect your chosen punishment. He's a child, Professor McGonagall. Children make mistakes," she said with a hollow tone.

"And they should be punished for them and taught a lesson," McGonagall retorted with a sharp edge to her tone.

"And I agree, but what you're doing is completely unethical, Professor. I'm not asking that you revoke his Hogsmeade ban, or dismiss his detention."

"Then what are your suggesting?" McGonagall's lips were pursed into a thin line; about as thin as her patience was at the moment.

"It's obvious that you don't trust him with the current password. So, give him a daily or semi daily one that he can use. And if you don't trust him enough for that, give it to Dean or Seamus, or even me — I'm with Neville majority of the time anyway."

McGonagall scoffed, "I will not give a Slytherin access to the Gryffindor common room. Neville broke a rule and he must face the consequences, and that is my final word Ms Creed," she finished firmly.

Echo stood there, seeming to think something over for a second.

"Very well. I'll see you in class Professor," she promised calmly. She nodded in the direction to the other two Professors and exited the room.

Lupin had to admit that he didn't expect Echo to back down so easily. She stayed respectful the entire time, unlike her discussion with Fudge. He wasn't sure what it was, but he always expected her to have the last word. Seeing her leave, defeated, didn't change his opinion about her in the slightest. She took the loss respectfully and didn't push the matter any further.

Lupin wasn't the only one wondering about the strange Slytherin, though. Dumbledore's eyes followed her figure curiously as she left the room.

~~~~~~~~~~

Echo woke the following morning with Sionna practically suffocating her with her tail. She lifted the slightly chunky fox off her face, ignoring her growls of protests, and sat up.

The green water was creating a ripple effect, hitting the bookshelf that sat in the corner, holding a row of journals. Some were old and rugged with tattered paper, and some were brand new with pristine leather.

Majority of them weren't even her own. One was owned by an American outlaw from the late 1800's by the name of Arthur Morgan. The journal was later owned by a man named John Marston; a man that was frequently mentioned in Arthur's writings. It was found in an old, abandoned ranch home in Oklahoma.

The others included the Dragon researcher's journal she had found in Romania; a feminist activist from London, also dating in the late nineteenth century; and a Nazi soldier who was ethically Russian, and stole a Russian soldiers identity, eventually falling in love with a Russian nurse. It was insightful, reading behind the eyes of someone's life.

The rest were her own; a travelers journal, logging all her travels; a thought journal; and then the journal Moony had gifted her — she was using it as her research journal.

As she looked over the different spines, something flashed on top of the bookcase.

Echo removed herself form her comfy bed and investigated the foreign object.

Upon closer inspection it was a key, an ancient looking gold key.

A note laid beside it,

This Key opens every door and entrance in Hogwarts — think of it like your mother's skeleton key. I hope you use it well.

-A.D.

If he could wink through paper, Echo was positive he would right about now. She would have to thank him. It wasn't just a coincidence that he gave her a key to all doors when she asked for the Gryffindor password.

An annoyed huff reached her ears. Echo turned her body towards the fox that grumpily sat on the bed.

"Don't look at me like that, it was important," said Echo, waving the note as if the fox could even read.

Echo entered the Great Hall with Neville. By this time, the whole school has heard of the events of Black's second break in. Ron was basically a celebrity now, not that he minded.

The school owls swooped into the Great Hall carrying the mail as usual, and Neville choked as a huge barn owl landed right in front of him, a scarlet envelope clutched in its beak. Harry and Ron, who were sitting opposite him, recognized the letter as a Howler at once — Ron had gotten one from his mother the year before.

The owl dropped the letter and flew away, acting like he already knew what to expect from the indistinguishable letter.

"Run for it, Neville—"

A finger snap was heard to Neville's right, where Echo sat. The envelope immediately burst into flames, leaving only a pile of ash and a few small embers in its place. Disappointed groans from the Slytherin table could be heard; not receiving the satisfaction of Neville's embarrassment.

The Gryffindors all turned to the only Slytherin eating at their table, who was casually drinking her coffee.

"Did- you just—," Neville's voice rambled.

"Thank me, and I'll send your grandmother a letter, asking for another," she threatened blankly.

Neville didn't say anything else, but smiled. He had a person on his side that never judged him for his faults; he's never felt more accepted.

————————————-
A/N

-It took 20 chapters and almost 1.3k reads for it to settle in that I'm actually writing a fanfic. Like I'm going through with it. Damn, shit's crazy.

-POA should be done in the next few chapters, so I'll try and speed up the process. GOF is where things really spice up ;)

-Also, if you notice my writing is going bad or anything — say something, please.

Words:4100

Days:3 1/2

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

872K 46.1K 32
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...
191K 4.4K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ જ⁀➴ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
797K 31.4K 42
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...