Gold Digger// JJ Maybank- OBX

By dont-lose-ur-head

"rules were made to be broken" Scarlett Woods and her friends have a plan for the summer- relaxing and doing... More

part one
soundtrack
graphics
epigraph
╰┈➤ ❝ [S̳c̳a̳r̳l̳e̳t̳t̳ ̳W̳o̳o̳d̳s̳] ❞
one
two
three
four
five
six
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
bonus (social media)
part two
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty
fifty one
part three
fifty two

seven

755 9 7
By dont-lose-ur-head

SCARLETT SAT in the back of the van, silent as she listened to her friends talk about the compass. While she was arguing with her dad, John B had had a realisation about the word in the compass. Redfield wasn't a name. It was the lighthouse. Scarlett moved her head, leaning against the window and watching the trees drive past them.

"I mean, it's obvious, right?" John B asked. "A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message."

Pope held the compass in front of his face. "Maybe Lottie should take a closer look at her necklace. See if there's any hidden messages on it." He looked over his shoulder at her, not getting any response from the zoned-out girl.

"He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?" John B continued.

"Yeah. It's possible." Kiara said. She looked over to Scarlett, sending her a worried look. "What's wrong?" She mouthed, catching Scarlett's eye. Scarlett simply shook her head and continued to stare out of the window.

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feels." Pope said. "Remember the time when Lottie's rabbit died and she believed that theory that it had just run away with it's rabbit soulmate?" He laughed, reaching over and nudging Scarlett's leg slightly.

"This is nothing like Lottie's old rabbit." John B said, glancing at Pope through the rear-view mirror. "But, that was a nice theory. Shame that fox ate it though."

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels." JJ said, leaning back in his seat. "Dark nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do it."

"You're just born different." Scarlett muttered, moving her body slightly so she could rest her head on his shoulder. Which was much more comfortable than the cold window.

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John B defended. "My dad's trying to give me a message. Maybe Lottie's mom is doing the same."

"If it helps you and Lottie believe, John B." Kiara said.

Scarlett sat up straight, pulling the necklace out from under her shirt. "You see this, right here?" She asked. "My mom never let it out of her sight. She's alive. I know it. I can feel it in my bones that she's not gone." JJ lifted his arm, wrapping it around her shoulder. He pulled her body into him, letting her rest her head against his chest.

"Look, I- I don't need a therapy session, okay?" John B said. "And I'm sure Lottie doesn't either," He glanced at her through the mirror. "At least, not right now." He turned his focus back on the road. "Look, I'm not trippin' out."

"It's okay to trip, bro, but-" JJ started.

"Look, my- my dad is missing, okay? Lottie's mom is missing." John B continued, cutting off JJ. "Not dead, missing. You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering."

Every eye in the van fell on Scarlett. "No, he's right. It sucks. But I still have Maisie..." She let out a sigh, "and my dad. JB doesn't have that. There's a huge difference between just losing one family member and losing the only one you have left." She shook her head and wiped away the few tears that rolled down her cheeks.

"It's been almost a year." Kiara whispered.

JJ interlocked his fingers with Scarlett's as he began to gently run his fingers through her hair. "Hey, they could have been kidnapped." He suggested. "That's definitely a possibility."

"Yeah, could be in a Soviet sub getting interrogated by the KGB somewhere." Pope added, playing along.

"Absolutely." JJ agreed. "Uh... or Atlantis."

"Atlantis doesn't exist, dumbass." Scarlett said. "Besides, my mom's way too tough to get captured by Russians. She's probably somewhere real nice, just waiting till she can move Maisie and I from my dad's place."

"Why would she want to move you out of there?" Pope asked her.

"Uh..." Scarlett said, unsure of how to explain. "Well, before she disappeared, they were having lots of fights and she tried to file for divorce. But, uh, she got denied."

"On what terms?" Pope asked, resting his elbows on his knees.

"Um... Not sure. She never spoke about it with me." Scarlett lied. She knew the reason why her mom was trying to leave her dad. It was the same reason that Maisie was temporarily living at Kiara's place. He was an absolute asshole.

"Look, what do you think the message is?" Kiara asked, moving the conversation on.

"Redfield." John B said as they drove past the sign for the lighthouse, ignoring the fact it said it was closed. "Redfield lighthouse. That's my dad's favourite place."

"Mom used to like it too." Scarlett said. "She would always go up there to watch the sunsets." The van pulled up not far away from the lighthouse and Scarlett tightened her grip on JJ's hand. Occasionally, she would go with her mom to the lighthouse and even Maisie would come on the rare occasion. The night before she disappeared, Charlotte had brought Scarlett here. They had watched the sunset together before walking along the beach. Scarlett had known her mother was going to be gone for a short while- longer than any other time she had gone away- but she hadn't realised that that night might have been the last time she would see her.

The others all hopped out the car and Scarlett followed suit, unable to look at the tall building without tears forming in her eyes. John B turned to her, gently holding onto her wrist as he stopped walking. "You don't have to go up there, you know. You can stay down here and be lookout."

Scarlett nodded. "I just... I haven't been here since-" She trailed off, the words catching in her throat.

"I know." John B said, hugging her. "I know." They stayed silent for a few moments before Scarlett pulled away, raising a hand to her cheeks and wiping away the stray tears. John B turned to the rest of the group. "Right. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" He said, pointing to JJ.

"Wait.. Why me?"

"Because you're not coming." Pope told him, matter-of-factly.

"Why?" JJ asked, slightly offended.

"Look JJ, there are independent and dependant variables. And you're an independent variable. We don't know what you'll do. Besides, someone needs to keep Lottie safe."

Scarlett scoffed and folded her arms over her chest. "Um, excuse you. I can keep myself safe, thank you very much. Despite popular belief, I'm not some damsel in distress."

"My point still stands." Pope said, shaking his head slightly. "You're unpredictable, man." The two began yelling over each other. 

Scarlett looked over at Kiara and just shook her head as the two shared an exasperated look. "Boys." Kiara muttered, rolling her eyes.

"Listen to me for a second!" John B yelled. "Just listen. Pope, you stand look out with JJ and Lottie, okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house."

"Great." Kiara nodded.

Scarlett smiled. "Sounds like a plan."

Kiara and John B began to walk away and towards the lighthouse. Pope turned to the remaining two Pogues. "I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies to a minimum."

"Well, seems like hanging out with us lot of rule breakers will keep that number to practically zero." Scarlett smirked.

Pope shook his head at her. "Very funny." He started walking towards a tree that was situated a short distance from the van. "I also would not like to third wheel with you two."

"All right, would you just shut up already." JJ said, throwing his arm around Scarlett. She pushed his arm off her and stepped backwards towards the unlocked van. "Where you going?"

"I'm just... I'm gonna sit in the van and, rest- or something." She told him, turning around and sliding the side door open. She climbed into the van, making her way to the very back where she curled into a ball. Her hands slid up to her necklace and she gripped it tightly. "Why did you have to go on that trip?" She whispered.

Pope paused his essay and looked over to JJ. "Is it just me, or does Lottie seem not herself?"

JJ shrugged, taking a hit from his Juul. "I think she just needs some space. I mean, this treasure hunting thing to find her mom and JB's dad is just digging up a lot of shit for her."

"So, we're just not gonna see if she wants to talk about it?" Pope asked, looking behind JJ to the van. He didn't wait for an answer before standing up and crossing over to the van. "You alright, Lottie?" He asked, sitting down opposite her. She shook her head, glancing at him over her knees. "Penny for your thoughts?"

"You mean dollars. We're not British."

Pope nodded. "Okay, then, dollar for your thoughts?"

"I just..." She sighed, unable to think of the correct words and the order to put them in. "This trail, for the Royal Merchant..." She shook her head, looking down at her necklace. "What if I end up like my mom? Lost at sea, or- or dead." She let out a sob, bringing her hand to her mouth. "I can't- I can't leave Maisie alone here, not with my dad."

"Why not?" Pope asked, trying to not pry too much. He suspected what the issue was, he'd seen the bruises and scars. Although Scarlett often covered them with make-up, there would be the odd occasion where they would still be visible.

Scarlett shook her head. "I- I just can't. I'm so afraid of what he'll do if I'm not there."

"Is it okay if I ask why you're so afraid of him?"

Scarlett sat up, bringing her knees to her chest. She peered over Pope's shoulder, looking at JJ who was leaning against the door to the van. He was watching her conversation with Pope, his features soft as his eyes locked with hers. JJ nodded at her, silently telling her that she could trust Pope. Scarlett looked away from JJ, turning her gaze back to Pope. "He's- I..." She sighed. "He's like-" She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath, struggling to get her words out. "You know how I say I'm always falling over and crashing into things at the restaurant?"

Pope nodded. "Yeah. You have a least five new bruises every day you work there." He joked.

Scarlett nodded her head slightly, lowering her gaze to her shoes. "Well... I don't actually- I've never really, actually injured myself at The Wreck..." She closed her eyes, waiting for Pope to understand what she was saying.

He was quiet for a moment before he spoke. "What exactly are you saying?"

"Come on, man." JJ said, taking another hit from his Juul. "You're meant to be the smart one here."

Pope turned around. "Hey, I'm the one comforting your girlfriend, dude." He shook his head, turning back to Scarlett and his face softened as he saw her. "Does he... Does your dad hit you? Lottie?" Scarlett slowly lifted her head, opening her mouth to speak. Sirens began wailing, becoming louder as the police cars approached the lighthouse. "Oh, shit." Pope exclaimed. He climbed over the seats to the wheel, sitting himself in the driver's seat. JJ hoped into the back of the van, slamming the door shut.

"What about Kie and John B?" Scarlett asked as Pope began to drive off. "Shouldn't we wait for them?"

"Lottie, sweet Lottie, do you want us to get caught by the cops?" JJ asked, leaning his back against the side of the van.

"No, but I-" Scarlett started.

"Because your sweet ass is gonna end up in handcuffs otherwise." JJ told her, a smirk plastered on his face. "At least, it will if we don't leave now."

"Is that an-" Scarlett started to say.

"Will you two shut up for a moment?!" Pope stressed. "I'm trying to not get us arrested."

"Relax, man." JJ said. "We'll be fine."

They sat in anxious silence for a short while as they drove down the road, heading back towards the Cut. Pope cleared his throat. "So, um... Lottie."

"Yeah?" Scarlett said, looking over at him. "What's up?"

"You, uh, never answered my question. Earlier." He said, taking his eyes off the road and looking at her over his shoulder. "About your dad."

"Oh." Scarlett muttered, leaning her head against the window.

"I don't-" Pope turned back to the road. "I don't want to force you into telling me if you don't want to." Scarlett nodded. "But, if he does... you know, hurt you... Please consider running away from home."

Scarlett's eyes widened and she sat up straight. "Did Pope Heyward, the golden boy, just suggest running away as a plan?" JJ laughed.

"Yes, yes I did." Pope said, completely serious. "I mean, Maisie isn't living there anymore. You really don't have anything to lose."

Scarlett shrugged. "I guess."

"At least think about it." JJ said, leaning forward and patting her knee.

"Yeah," Scarlett nodded. "I'll think about it."

❤❤❤

After leaving the van at the Château, so John B had a mode of transportation, the three of them made their way to Heyward's shop. On their way there, they had stopped by Scarlett's house where she picked up her sketchbook and a few art supplies- also a birthday gift from Kiara. She had ignored her dad, figuring there was no point interacting with him. So now, the three teens sat out the back of the shop, next to the dock. JJ leant back against the wall, smoking his joint while Pope fixed the store's generator. Scarlett walked a little further down the dock, sitting on the railing of the jetty as she drew a rough sketch of the horizon.

"Hey, Scarlett Woods." A vaguely familiar voice called out. Scarlett turned around, spotting Joshua Evans walking down the dock.

"Oh, hi." Scarlett said, waving at him. "Didn't think I would see you here."

He came to a stop next to the railing. "Well, my parents are busy shopping..." He looked out at the horizon. "Didn't think I'd see you here either."

"Well, you see those two idiots over there-" She tucked her pencil behind her ear and turned her body slightly, pointing at Pope and JJ. "One of them, his dad owns the store."

Joshua nodded. "Ah, I see. So is this a designated hangout spot then?"

Scarlett chuckled. "Nah. We're just here waiting for the rest of our crew. Plus, this is technically one of my two jobs. But, I have the day off today." Behind them, a horn beeped as John B pulled the van up to the back of the store.

"Let's ride." JJ called, walking towards the van. "Hey, Red. You coming or what? The horizon can wait a day!"

Scarlett sighed. "Sorry, Joshua. Looks like I'm needed to go keep these idiots in check." She twisted around and hopped off the railing. "I'll see you around. And I'll send you a text when they fix the towers around here." She sent him a wave as she jogged up the dock to the van.

"This better be good." Pope said.

"You better have a good reason for this." Scarlett said, sliding open the door and climbing into the back. "I was practicing my art."

They drove to the Wreck to pick up Kiara. Pope was sent in first, but came back out with bad news. "She says she's not comin'." He told them, jogging back to the van. "Lottie, you go get her. She'll listen to you."

"Why's she not coming?" JJ asked, resting his arm on the open window next to the passenger seat. "What'd you do to her John B?"

He slammed his hands down on the wheel. "Shit." He pushed open the door. "Hang on. I'll deal with it."

"Whoa!" Scarlett said, leaning forward and grabbing his shirt. "If she's not coming because you did something to her, I think I should be the one to talk to her."

"Lottie-" John B started but she was already climbing out of the van.

"Trust me, I can handle this." She called, sending the boys a salute as she jogged up the stairs. She walked through the door, finding Kiara standing on a step-ladder behind the counter as she helped re-paint the wall. "Hey, Kie!" Scarlett waved, coming to a stop at the counter and resting her elbows on it.

"Ettie!" A small voice rang out before Kiara could greet her best friend. Scarlett turned to her left just in time to see Maisie running around the corner. She crouched down as the small blonde wrapped her arms around her shoulders. "I haven't seen you in ages! Why won't you stay at Kie's with me?"

Scarlett gulped, unsure what to say. "Well, I've just been really busy helping John B out with some things and so I've stayed over there for the last few days." She lied, unable to say the truth to her little sister. "But, I'll stay at Kie's tonight. If that's okay with her and her parents." She looked up at Kiara, who was now standing behind the counter.

"I'm sure they'll be more than pleased to have you stay over tonight." Kiara said.

Scarlett smiled. "Great. I'll have to pick up some stuff from home first though. And maybe pick up some more of Maisie's things." She looked down at Maisie. "I just have to speak to Kie about some things. Okay?"

Maisie nodded. "And then will you stay here with me?"

Scarlett bit her lip, her heart breaking as she passed on spending time with her sister. "Unfortunately I can't." She frowned. "I need Kie's help with a project. But, how about a movie night later? Or tomorrow? I'm not sure how long it will take."

Maisie nodded. "Pinkie promise that you'll be home for dinner?" She stuck her pinkie finger out.

Scarlett locked fingers with her and smiled. "I promise that I will try to, little Mouse." She let go, leaning forward and kissing the top of her head. She smiled as Masie ran off back to her table, where she had been doing school work. "What did Pope say to you exactly when he came in here?" Scarlett asked, leaning her elbows on the counter again.

"Something about Redfield and how everyone needed me." Kiara told her, resting her arms on the counter. "Why, what's happening?"

"That pretty much sums it up. I think John B figured it out, but I wasn't paying attention." Scarlett laughed. "Why won't you go with us? Are you seriously going to leave me with those three boys? You know my sanity isn't strong enough for that! It wavers every second I spend around them."

Kiara sighed. "I don't want to leave you alone with them... I just, I can't deal with this right now."

Scarlett's eyes widened. "Something happened, didn't it? What went down while I was dealing with Thing 1 and Thing 2?"

Kiara leaned closer to her, her voice lowering to a whisper. "He kissed me."

"John B?"

"No. Hugh Grant. Yes, John B." Kiara rolled her eyes.

"He kissed you? Damn." Scarlett exclaimed. "Go on, spill me the details." She winked. "Was it romantic? Where did it happen? How did it happen? Was there tongue, or...?"

Kiara tried to hold back her smile, but failed. She gently punched Scarlett in the arm, laughing slightly. "Yes, he kissed me. No, it wasn't necessarily romantic. We were running away from the lighthouse and we stopped just up from the beach. And he just, he just leaned in and kissed me, you know?" She sighed. "It was weird, nothing like I expected it to be."

"Oh." Scarlett said. "I'm guessing there wasn't any tongue then." She laughed.

Kiara reached forward and shoved her slightly. "I mean, I didn't even kiss him back. I wanted to, but I couldn't. Because, the rule."

"Okay, but have you considered this; screw the rule." Scarlett suggested. "I mean, me and JJ totally did. That rule sucks ass. We created it when we were like thirteen." She shrugged.

Kiara shrugged. "I don't even know what to do anymore. I just, I need some time away from him to figure it out."

Scarlett nodded. "Fair enough. But please reconsider your decision to stay here." She reached across the counter, and grabbed Kiara's hand. "I can't survive without you." She looked behind her to see John B standing in the doorway. "Good luck." She muttered, nodding in John B's direction. She stepped back from the counter and walked to the doorway. "Have fun." She muttered to him, patting him on the shoulder before pushing open the door and jumping down the steps back to the van.

"How'd it go?" JJ asked, leaning out the window.

Scarlett shook her head, glancing behind her quickly. When she saw no one else around, she leaned forward and placed a kiss on his cheek. "Well, I found out some things that I absolutely cannot share with you boys. But it seems like Kie needs some space from you lot for a bit." She walked round the van to the side door, sliding it open and climbing back into her seat. "Maisie was in there though. She managed to convince me to stay at Kie's for a bit."

"Well, good." JJ said, turning in his seat to face her. "I'd drag you over there if I have to."

❤❤❤

Scarlett stretched out across the back seat, her legs laying atop JJ's as he rolled a blunt. "You mind if I just relax on this one?" He asked. "It's been a long day, and a lot of weird stuff's gone down. "I'm just gonna lay low." He held the blunt up to Pope, who was sat in the seat in front of him and Scarlett. "Oh, did you want a hit of this?"

Pope held his hand up to him. "I keep the signal clear."

JJ held it out to Scarlett. "Red? You wanna hit?"

She shook her head. "Usually, yes. But I'm not showing up at Kie's house high as a kite. So, no thanks."

JJ nodded, turning back to Pope. "Dude, okay. Do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative? If you got creative, then-"

John B cut him off. "Look, I- I know I was wrong about the lighthouse, all right? And pretty much wrong about everything else going on."

"It's okay, JB." Scarlett told him, her hands moving up to her hair as she began to braid it. "We understand."

John B shook his head, looking over his shoulder at them. "But I- I was right about one thing. Okay? My dad is trying to tell me something. He and Charlotte are trying to send a message to Lottie and I."

Scarlett looked over to him. "God, I hope you're right."

The group sat in silence for the remaining few minutes of the drive, until John B parked up outside the closed gates of the cemetery. Scarlett climbed over the back of the seat as John B hopped out the driver's seat. "You've got to be kidding me." She said to him as he helped her out the van. "The cemetery? Seriously?"

"Afraid of ghosts are you, Lottie?" JJ teased, climbing out behind her.

Scarlett scoffed. "No. But I'm terrified of zombies eating my brain."

"You'll be fine. No zombies are gonna eat you." John B told her, leading the group to the gate. "Hey, come on." He waved Kiara and Pope out of the van.

"I'm coming." Kiara said, hurrying over to him. "This place is scary."

Scarlett nodded. "You got that right. If I die, I'm so haunting your ass." She pointed at John B.

"Why me?"

"Because you dragged us all over here."

"John B, what are we doing?" Kiara asked as they approached the gate.

"Shut up." He whispered as he began to climb the gate.

Scarlett grabbed onto the gate, pulling herself up. "Rude." She mumbled, climbing up the fence.

"Need any help there, Red?" JJ asked, climbing up next to her.

"Like I told Pope earlier, I'm not a damsel in distress." She pulled herself over the top of the fence and jumped down, landing on her feet. She waited for the others to climb over before they all started walking through the graveyard. Scarlett stuck close to JJ, linking her hand with his.

JJ looked down at their hands and then back up to her face. "Are you scared?" He asked her, smirking slightly.

Scarlett scoffed. "No. I just figured, it's dark so no one'll see us together."

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Wanna sneak a kiss too?" He whispered. She stopped walking and smiled at him. She leaned up on her tiptoes and pressed her lips against his. JJ rested his forehead against hers. "How about we leave these idiots and go sneak off somewhere together?"

Scarlett opened her mouth to speak but was interrupted by John B. He had turned around and waved his torch at them. "Hurry up you two!" He called.

Immediately, Scarlett and JJ took a small back from each other, sharing a look. They let go of each others' hand, JJ shoving his in his pockets while Scarlett fixed the hairband on the end of her plait. "Sorry." She called over to John B. "I, uh, just got a bit scared."

"Of the zombies?" He asked. "You know they're not real, right?"

Scarlett laughed awkwardly. "They could be. We don't know anybody alive who's seen one."

"She holds a good point." Pope called, glancing over to them.

"Anyway, moving on from the zombies," John B said as they continued to walk through the cemetery. "You know how you're trying to remember a song and you can't remember who sings it?"

"Yeah." Kiara said.

"Oh, totally." Scarlett said.

"So, Redfield. This whole time, I thought it was a place, right? But it's not a place." He came to a stop outside the mausoleum and held his lantern up so they could read the name above it. Redfield.

"Oh..." Scarlett whispered. "Redfield is a person, not a location."

John B nodded. "Got it in one, Lottie. It's a person."

"Voi-effing-là." JJ muttered, wrapping an arm around Scarlett's shoulders.

"See, my great-great-grandmother Olivia Redfield." John B said. "That was her maiden name." They all stared at the mausoleum for a few minutes, standing in silence. The entrance was covered in overgrown vines, making it look even eerier than it usually would. John B moved closer to the door. "Help me with the door. Come on." He waved them forward.

JJ and Pope stepped forward, helping John B as they attempted to push open the door. Kiara and Scarlett stood back slightly, holding their torches up and giving them some light. "Okay, so I know I'm not exactly a golden child, but I think breaking into a grave is definitely a new low."

"You've never broken into a mausoleum before?" JJ joked.

"You have?" Scarlett asked, raising her eyebrows at him.

"This door is like seven-hundred pounds." Pope said as the boys continued to struggle with the door. "It's not gonna budge."

"You boys are just weak." Scarlett chuckled.

"Oh, yeah?" Pope said. "You think you could push this thing open?" He quipped.

She shook her head. "It was just a joke, jeez." She raised her hands in mock surrender.

"Light, Lottie. The light." John B reminded her, seeing as her raising her hands lost them some of their crucial light.

"Oh, sorry." She lowered her hands, holding the torch so that they were able to see.

"We didn't come this far to get this far, all right?"

"Wow, wonderful words of wisdom JJ." Kiara snapped sarcastically.

A hissing sound ended their struggle and the boys jumped back as a snake appeared in the gap in the wall. "Holy shit!" Scarlett cried, taking several huge steps backwards. "Nope. I do not do snakes."

"That's a moccasin, all right." JJ informed them. "Ye olde Dr. Cottonmouth. Death in tall grass."

"Because knowing what type of snake it is, is gonna make this whole situation much better?" Scarlett asked, jumping backwards as the snake slithered towards her. "Please get it away from me." She cried, running over to JJ. She jumped onto his back, wrapping her legs around his waist. JJ held onto her legs as he leant forward and began barking at the serpent.

"JJ, shut up. Shut up!" Kiara begged, fearful that all the commotion was going to alert someone to their presence.

"You're gonna wake the friggin' dead, man." Pope said, pushing his shoulder slightly.

"They're afraid of dogs." JJ told them. "Everyone knows that, man."

"I don't care what the hell they're afraid of. You're gonna draw attention to us." Scarlett moaned at him, hitting his shoulder lightly.

"I have the power to drop you, you know." JJ reminded her, pretending to let go of her.

"Please don't!" Scarlett squealed, wrapping her arms around his neck.

JJ moved towards the door, letting go of one of Scarlett's legs. "Wait, hold on." He said grabbing John B's shoulder and pulling him back slightly.

"What?" Both Kiara and John B asked.

"If there's one, there's probably dozens." JJ told them.

"Okay, I'm out." Scarlett said, sliding off JJ's back. "I absolutely cannot be here if there's snakes around." She turned around to leave, but JJ reached out and grabbed her wrist, tugging her to his side.

"What?" Pope asked.

"Can you stop?" Kiara said. "You're scaring me."

"I second that." Scarlett added.

JJ shone his light on the mausoleum, beginning to bark at any remaining snakes. "Stop barking at the snakes." John B told him.

Scarlett leaned into JJ's side, whispering in his ear. "If you don't stop barking at those horrible creatures, I'll dump your cute ass."

JJ stopped barking, looking startled. "You wouldn't."

Scarlett shrugged. "Keep barking and you'll find out." She smirked.

"Look, John-" Pope started, interrupting the couple's moment. "We're not gonna get in there, all right? It's not budging. We should probably just go."

Scarlett raised her hand. "I have to say I agree with that idea."

"What about finding your mom?" John B said, turning to her. "Because I know this clue is gonna help us find her. And my dad."

"Oh, I don't doubt that for a second, JB." Scarlett smiled at him. "But I just..." She ran a hand through her hair. "I just don't know if committing another crime is the best way to go about that."

Kiara shone her torch on the door, staring at the hole that was hidden through the vines. "I can get through."

"What?" John B asked, turning away from Scarlett. "No, no, no, no. You think you're gonna fit through the hole? That hole?"

"Look, this is about your dad. This is about Lottie's mom." Kiara said, looking between Scarlett and John B. "And honestly, I really don't believe in it, but you two deserve to know the truth." She looked over to Scarlett. "Maisie does too, when you decide to tell her." She paused for a moment. "I'll do it." She stepped up to the wall. "Come on."

Scarlett walked forward, beginning to push back the overgrown vines that covered the entrance. "You boys gonna help, or what?" She asked, glancing at them over her shoulder. They nodded, moving forward and helping to free the entrance.

Once the entrance was clear, they stepped back. "Give her a boost." John B said to JJ, nodding at him.

JJ nodded back at him, staying next to the wall. "I'm gonna give you a boost, all right." He leaned against the wall, bending his knees slightly as he held his hands together so Kiara was able to put her feet on them. "I've seen it in the movies several times. Ready?"

"Remind me what we're looking for." Kiara said, standing in front of JJ.

"You'll know when you see it." John B told her, holding back the vines.

"Very specific." Scarlett muttered. She stepped forward and patted Kiara on the shoulder. "Good luck, Kie."

Kiara nodded. "Hold my flashlight?" She asked Scarlett. She nodded, holding it as Kiara pulled herself up on the wall, resting her foot on JJ's hands. "I got it." She said, pulling herself through the hole.

"You okay?" Scarlett asked, moving closer to the wall.

"Yeah, I'm good." Kiara answered. "Can I have the flashlight?"

"Yep." Scarlett answered, reaching her arm through the hole and handing it to her. "Be careful. And watch out for snakes."

They waited a few moments, not hearing anything from Kiara as she shone her torch over the walls. "You alive?" John B asked. "You got, like, a- a heartbeat and everything?"

"So far." Kiara replied, gazing around the mausoleum.

"That's good." John B said. "That's good."

"Uh... I need some more light." Kiara said after a few moments. John B held his lantern through the hole, lighting up the inside of the mausoleum more. 

There was a few more minutes of silence as Kiara continued to look around the tomb. "Did you find something?" JJ called. "Is there gold?"

"Oh, my God." They heard Kiara gasp as her eyes landed on something.

❤❤❤

⁎⁎⁎

Edited: 22/11/2020

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.2K 857 22
Following the disappearance of their best friend, the Pogues are falling apart at the seams. The island is falling into chaos, just in time for Sierr...
24.3K 544 10
──────── 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 . . . A royal, from one of the wealthiest families in Outer Banks, mysteriously moved to the cut last year. An enigma to all...
210K 3.7K 37
As long as I'm here No one can hurt you JJ MAYBANK X FEM! OC PRE-SEASON ONE - SEASON ONE highest rankings! - #2 in cameron - #6 in jonathandavis - #...
970K 16K 55
SEQUEL NOW UP! ⚓OUTER BANKS⚓ ❝What have I done wrong, JJ? What are you running from?❞ ❝You're the one who should be running! You're scared of me, rem...