fifteen

A LOUD bang at the front door drew Scarlett from her- surprisingly- peaceful sleep. She rolled over in her bed and reached out for her phone, figuring it was too early for anybody to be knocking at the house. She pressed the power button on her phone, hoping for its bright light to temporarily blind her. Adding to her streak of unluckiness recently, it didn't turn on. The battery was dead.

"Go figure." Scarlett mumbled, throwing the phone over to the other side of the bed. She climbed out of bed, letting out a yawn as she grabbed an old hoodie (which happened to previously be owned by JJ). Just as she pulled it over her head, there was another loud knock at the door- whoever it must be seemed to be very impatient. Scarlett pulled open the bedroom door with one hand, the other adjusting the jumper. "Hey, Kie?" She called out down the stairs, knowing her friend was probably up and ready for the day. "Can you please get that?"

There was a slightly mumbled yell in reply and then the distant sound of footsteps down the hallway. Scarlett let out another yawn, making her way into the kitchen to grab some breakfast. "Hey, kiddo." She greeted Maisie, who was sat at the kitchen counter surrounded by paper and coloured pencils. She took a couple of slices of bread from the cupboard and placed them in the toaster. She turned back around and lent on the counter as she waited for the toaster to do its thing. "You got any plans for today?" Scarlett asked. The older girl felt terrible for not spending much time with her younger sister but she made a promise to herself, that once they'd found the gold and sorted out the legal stuff that came along with it, she would spend as much time as possible with the young girl.

A grin appeared on Maisie's face. "Louisa invited me over for a sleepover after Midsummers tonight. Is it okay if I go?"

"Of course." Scarlett nodded, turning back to the toaster and placing the warm bread on a plate. She picked a knife out from the drawer and began to cover the toast in chocolate spread. "As long as Louisa's mom is alright with it."

Before the sisters could talk anymore, a panicked JJ ran into the room- skidding to a stop just past the doorway. "Good, you're okay Red."

His voice made Scarlett jump slightly and the knife slipped from her hand, landing noisily onto the kitchen counter. The teen turned around, eyebrows furrowed in confusion with her eyes widening in shock. "Why wouldn't I be okay?"

Kiara appeared behind the blonde boy, rolling her eyes as she crossed her arms over her chest. "The idiot is worried about you." She told Scarlett. She let out a small cough, muttering "Whipped" under her breath as she passed by JJ.

Scarlett moved her gaze from her friend to her boyfriend. "Why were you worried about me?" She asked, taking a bite of her toast.

JJ leaned his back against the door frame and ran a hand through his blonde hair. "Because you didn't answer any of my texts this morning. I thought you were at your dad's, that something had happened."

Scarlett frowned. "Shit, my battery died and I didn't know until like five minutes ago. I'm really sorry babe."

JJ raised an eyebrow at the girl. "Did you just call me 'babe'?" He asked.

"I guess I did." Scarlett grinned. Her smile never leaving her face as she bit into her toast.

"Anything else you came here for?" Kiara asked. She was stood next to Maisie, resting her elbows on the kitchen island.

JJ took his gaze off his girlfriend and looked across the room to Kiara. "I need to borrow Scar and go check on John B. I passed his place on my way here and it looked a mess. Not to mention the someone seems to be staking the place out."

Finishing her breakfast, Scarlett sighed. "Fine, I'll go with you. But this better be done in time for Midsummers tonight." She turned around and placed her plate in the sink. "Just give me a few minutes and I'll be ready to go." She walked over to JJ and placed a kiss on his cheek before heading out of the kitchen.