Lacking Humanity|Crescent Moon

By NerdyxWitch

[COMPLETED] BOOK ONE of the LACKING HUMANITY SERIES * * * In a cold and damped cell lies a young she-wolf who... More

-Author'sNote-
-Important Details-
-Prologue-
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
-New Moon-
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
-Waxing Crescent-
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
-First Quarter-
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
-Waxing Gibbous-
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
-Full Moon-
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
-Waning Gibbous-
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
-Third Quarter-
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
-Waning Crescent-
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Lacking Humanity: Book Two
-Deleted Scenes-
Deleted Scene #1

Chapter Thirty-One

3.4K 139 14
By NerdyxWitch

* * *

 "It's lovely to meet you Luna Sage, my name is Ms.Evelyn. But please call me Evie. Would you like to get started?" 

The first week of Sage's tutoring would be evaluating what she knows and needs to work on.

Evie was pleased that she knew numbers, but not that they were in place of quantity. Time she knew, but not in the presence of a normal schedule like most.

Evie noticed right after the third day that whenever Sage needed to use the restroom she wouldn't go and relieve herself. Instead, she held it, having her tutor be the one to say it was time for a break.

The same with eating. The purpose of a tutor was to work around Sage. But here she was submitting to the cause.

After the first week, Ms.Evelyn found herself in a meeting with the three highest tiers and relayed the report for the first week. As requested by the Elwoods and Remus himself.

"She's smart Alpha, she wants to apply herself. She's already at a second-grade level, but I do understand your concerns about her vocal approach." Jack rolled his eyes, knowing full well that the she-wolf before them had gotten a few huffs and puffs from their Luna.

"Are we talking math or reading?" Eli questioned, and Jack turned his head back to the tutor in confirmation. 

"Reading, she excels. But when we review, it's more her recalling what was spoken prior. Identifying the words in front of her is the next step. As well as writing...Math, on the other hand..." Remus rubbed his face with a free hand as he tried to understand the mess before him.

It saddened him that his mate's six-year-old brother would be able to do this in minutes.

"I'm going to consult the other teachers. Sage could be a visual learner. It's the first week, Alpha, patience. The progress will be slow, but it will be there." Evelyn's words were easier said than done.

Sage struggled, and in-demand of taking out her rage, would she race whoever was guarding her at the time. When it wasn't her brother, it'd be either Eli or, more often, it would be Jack.

As he was responsible for the Pack's Luna in steed of the Alpha.

These reports happened more often, as the educational milestone had taken a rather quick turn. Sage started to read outside the classroom and was starting to retain all that she had learned, the only issue was when she was asked to speak and read outloud it would draw her back. It strained the story and it caused her to grow frustrated easier.

Writing was another issue as her motor skills were limited to throwing punches, the drawing flowers was a set that Ms.Evelyn had missed in their first few meetings. The idea of creativity was meant to come later, but it was easier to apply.

Evie would question Sage and ask her to draw and write.

It was a month into this routine that Eli suggested that Sage start doing things on her own. This meant that she would walk in return to the Elwood residence and back to the Packhouse to begin establishing a sense of responsibility on her own shoulders.

She would have a backpack over her shoulders, a smile on her face, and the current book she was losing sleep over. Her hair would be neatly styled by Camilla, who had years of practice on herself and begged the goddess to give her a daughter.

And she was finally blessed with one.

The young she-wolf had was currently walking towards the packhouse, Camilla had packed her lunch and a baked good for her tutor for working for five days of the week.

Having passed the few building in between the packhouse, she received a few glances her direction. Her face was still new to the people, and although there had been a ceremony, seeing their Luna in person looking like a high schooler was not what to expect for normal wear.

But it was Laura who had a few harsh words to say. On her outfit, her entire being. Those with her agreed, especially as they stretched in preparation with the rest of the she-wolves.

Today was training day for a majority of the pack, especially after the recent activity of the Rogues. It called upon a hefty schedule for the younger generations to a regimen that they wouldn't normally find themselves being introduced to .

Sage didn't have the chance to spar with someone her own age, but she kept up her own training with her brothers and a run every day with her mate.

Laura had made another remark, and although Sage had heard, the context and words hadn't made all that much sense. The slang in their world had not made the way into the classroom, and it wouldn't.

That was for Sage to learn on her own in the social environment.

Sage smiled in Laura's direction, and it only enticed the she-wolf further. Good goddess was she in for a realistic introduction had she been a normal pack member.

Even with the Elwood standing, it was a name that matched the wolf. The instructor, Leo himself, had simply excused the banter for something that happened in school. Had he known then they were talking about his daughter then he would've taken the situation by himself before offering the leftovers to his Alpha.

But Sage hadn't been gossiped by name, and instead it was left alone.

Until it wasn't.

The Luna was simply talking to Ally on her way back home, or more so listening and then sharing her drawings with the girl who gave her the opportunity to learn this coming talent.

Some of the scenes were questionable, but usually it was forests. Sage couldn't get enough at the idea of the outdoors. And this was indeed a example of it.

"Looks like the Omegas had some help today cleaning the packhouse. Missed you in training today, Ally." Sage blinked at the newcomers that approached her, and it caused her to narrow her brows. Confused entirely.

"I was scouting with the Elwoods." She didn't know why she needed to explain herself to Laura, but it caused the she-wolf to roll her eyes. 

"Still belly up for Liam?" Sage looked between the two conversing, while the two friends rallied behind Laura.

Ally identified them as both Courtney and Meghan.

Sage may be lacking at knowing what they were speaking of, but she could smell the hostility in the air.

"And you? Where were you?" 

"She was with her tutor." Ally answered for Sage, knowing full well what they were like in high school that would truly give them this power.

"Summer school? And that's above the training the Alpha put together?" 

"Training?" Sage turned to look at Ally in confusion, it wasn't that Remus didn't tell her on purpose.

He was still learning to live with a mate and report his actions and choices. Instead it was based on his and Eli's judgement, though it was lacking the discussion of Kelly and her realistic approach.

And they were feeling it now.

"Figures. Not like we'd see you on the frontline." The girl continued to stare off at the she-wolf, why was the hostility rising? What did she do wrong?

Jack?

Hey little Luna, time for a run already?

Sage simply shared her current predicament and he roared through the mind link. The Delta's blood was boiling at what was happening to two of the most sweetest souls in the pack.

"Laura!" Jack called out, and the female smiled in delight as the Delta was making his way over, completely ignoring his wolf pulsing in gentle waves.

Sage didn't mean to squeal, but the whole conversation had gone over her head. "Darling, you did beautifully in training as always. Did you want to get drinks at—" 

"No. I want to know what you five she-wolves were discussing." His nose flared in a sense of challenge, and although the rest had cracked. Sage tilted her head once again.

It indeed called Jack to frown further.

Eli, the Alpha in a good mood?

Define 'good mood', we're following the council's order and trying to contact the witches. So—

So it's not a good time to say that Laura is giving Sage a hard time?

Jack had silenced Eli for a few moments to hear what happened, before he turned to look at Sage. "Were they bothering you?" Her mouth opened for a moment and closed back up as she shifted uncomfortably.

"Figures. She's just a shy lil thing, isn't she? Summer school instead of training?" 

"Oh. I don't think she needs any help with training." Jack winked, and it caused Laura to growl in damnation.

"Really? We can test that right now." She hissed, and that Sage understood. Her wolf was already prepared in circling around this damned stranger who came out of nowhere and attacked.

"I challenge you." The words had sparked up quicker than Jack could've mind-linked Eli. Causing another uproar as Eli needed to gently share the news.

And whilst Ally looked to worry at her friend and Luna, Sage finally smirked. A devious smile lurking behind her stoic face.

"Mistake," Sage spoke, letting her backpack fall and Ally took hold of her book that was in her hand. Jack came closer and claimed that as Luna she could simply just send her to a punishment, but Sage refused.

The idea of punishments was not something she favored, especially after the idea of a cell.

"Tell me that when you're eating dirt." Both the Alpha and Eli had caught them just a minute from the Packhouse and was about to sentence Laura to the damnedest punishment in his book.

Or Sage's as the cells were left for the Rogues.

Specifically the Rogue they were trying to save.

"What is the meaning of all this?!" The Alpha's voice roared, silencing all thoughts and conversations. Usually a challenge would not involve the highest tiers, simply Leo or Luke.

But either were on their way, and Laura was already in the midst of throwing her shirt on the side with her friend.

"I challenged her." 

"Under what grounds?" The question clicked in Laura's mind. 

"She needs to learn that the pack comes before school." Eli attempted to calm the Alpha and looked to the group of ignorant she-wolves that stood in the way of Sage.

"I take her place in the challenge." It stalled Laura's heart as she had felt relatively good about fighting the skinny black-haired she-wolf.

"No," Sage spoke, coming beside her mate and shaking her head. "My challenge." The three antagonizers looked in awe as their Alpha turned soft in the given presses of the she-wolf.

Clicking in Meghan's mind instantly, but she was too shocked to share her findings.

"Under what grounds is my daughter being challenged for?!" Leo roared, almost if not the same octave as the Alpha himself. Especially with the level of rage that swelled in his every step.

"Y-your daughter?" Laura mumbled, starting to connect the dots and looked in fear to her Luna.

And now Sage was in her first act as Luna, would she accept a challenge or show mercy?

You could simply punish her like Jack said munchkin, she will have to comply either way.

No. My Challenge.

Remus looked off to Eli as he knew he was going to have trouble standing back watching his mate fight for the second time. But the smile distracted him with a warm and fuzzy distraction, especially when the circle had formed and Leo began the countdown.

"I want a nice clean spare, shift when I say. Tap the ground in submission. Begin!" Sage's eyes turned predatorial in a matter of seconds, as she growled out to the one who was not up for the challenge any longer.

But Sage knew well enough had she allowed Remus to take her place, the she-wolf before her would be torn to bits.

Sage's wolf wanted submission, and so she stalked forward blocked the nervous attempts Laura had threw in. But they were all faulty, and all the taunts had ended for the future as the crack of her hand to Laura's face caused her to fall back instantly.

"Her wolf is angry. She'll fight until submission." Luke instated, his attendance had been silent and behind the Alpha, Eli warned him that Remus would involve himself if something went south.

Especially with his unclaimed mate.

The crowd cheered for their Luna, wanting her to finish it. Most of the Elwoods had the opportunity to spar with Sage, and Remus and Jackson still had the scars to prove their tumble with the Luna.

Please...Please Luna.

Sage's wolf disliked the begging being solely in the mind link. The distaste for the situation and the annoyance to this pack member, especially after criticizing her for learning. She adored her time with Evie, already was she getting a better understanding of the world around her.

"You challenge. You fight." She whispered out, her eyes flickering off towards Leo as the countdown to shifting was coming closer. Sage knew well enough that her wolf would handle it much better, and after studying her father's ticks for the past few weeks.

She knew it was approaching.

"SHIFT!" Remus watched as his mate morph beautifully into her wolf, and a huff greeted him off at the other end. But seeing as how Laura had no choice but defend herself, it will surely be a massacre.

And in a moment of motivation, the challenger pounced at the Luna. But Sage had met her halfway in her own tackle, the smell of blood permitted into the air.

The second a bit of Sage's tickled into Remus' nose, it took both Luke and Eli to handle him back. 

"Alpha calm yourself, if you cannot handle this...The pack will remember." Eli whispered to the logical side of Remus's brain, the hand on his shoulder was burning. But every passing second gave him the senses that it would be over soon.

And he was completely right, because as soon as he opened his eyes once again. He was watching the final moments of Laura submitting, and once she had Sage began licking the slash against the she-wolf's chest.

"Alpha?" Remus turned back for a moment to see Mackenzie just behind him, her travel kit in hand already. 

"Luna Sage called." The males stood in shock, Sage had indeed plotted her moves and the bitter loss of Laura.

"She challenged the Luna, keep her in the infirmary. I'll be having a few words with her when she's coherent enough to hear me." Mackenzie swallowed roughly as if she had been the one at the receiving end of the Alpha's anger. But she wasn't.

Soon Remus found himself walking through the crowd down to his mate, she eyed him in suspicion and looked to the rest of the crowd. A settling rumbling filled the air, causing the onlookers to smile and bow their heads in honor.

Perhaps Remus hadn't given his pack a proper look of his mate, was this entire situation could've been avoided if they had known what she looked like.

The Alpha had removed his shirt and fit it over her big wolf head before Sage shifted back into skin. Her eyes still on the defensive to all the wolves around her, but she fought her wolf.

Reminding herself that they were not all challenging her, so she darted her eyes across the ways.

"Challenge?!" She questioned out, and those around her knew what she was trying to get across. In one word had she asked the pack if there were any other problems with her being here.

One final huff fought out as a breath as she rose to her feet and allowed Mackenzie her spot to revive Laura.

Ally had grabbed the Luna's backpack and hurried off to follow her friend as she returned back to the packhouse. While Luke caught his father's gaze and nodded, this would indeed be discussed as a family.

It was only a question of whether or not that they would add her mate to the mix.

"Alpha, the Luna is returning the Pack house." Jack had issued off and the man beside him nodded. 

"I want an explanation. NOW!" His voice rumbled the earth and tore into the surrounding wolves as they lowered their heads, completely forgetting that it wasn't a normal she-wolf bickering.

It had been a challenge to a Luna.

Meghan had been the one to take claim of what happened, sharing that Luara had seen the Luna come to the pack house this morning and say a long line of comments.

The ignorance had shined further, and with Ally off with Sage at the moment.

"Let this be a reminder of what my mate is capable of, she is not training with the pack until she is acclimated properly. Any issues involving my mate is to come to me before her." He allowed his voice to sink in before he turned around and followed after Sage, calling through their link, only for her to say that Ally was cleaning her up in the pack main hall.

"Munchkin, are you okay?" Allison watched as the Alpha's voice relaxed her form and she eyed him for a moment before she huffed, looking off in another direction as her friend was trying to clean up the scratches and cuts.

Laura might've mentioned that there was training for the pack, I'm sure she's just feeling left out or confused that—

Sage growled at her friend, knowing full well that the two were mind linking with one another. Her sixth sense was indeed growing, and here she was about to rise from her seat to leave. Only for Remus to kneel down before his mate and let his wolf reach out to hers. Leaving Ally to say her parting goodbyes.

"Sage, you do not need any more training. When the Rogues attacked I realized that my younger years need to pick up the slack in the event of the same attempt happening. Don't you spar with your brothers?" She nodded, but huffed anyway.

It caused the tired Alpha to sigh.

"Words Sage, just a little?" 

"I want...To spar." Remus leaned further and shook his head. "The idea of sparring, Sage, is that you train with someone at your level. That means everyone you've spared with already is even with you." He allowed his little mate to digest all that was said, and her wolf was still heavily on edge after being attacked by such a rude wolf.

It wasn't so much Sage who wanted to spar, it was her wolf that wanted redemption and to prove to her pack that she wasn't a weak pup.

"I'm sorry I've been so busy, and that our house is behind schedule." Sage always managed a smile when thinking about their house, and he took the small change as a victory as he leaned in to settle a small kiss on her lips.

Which was another one of his tactics.

"Busy?" 

"Not when my mate is bleeding in front of me." He managed, the frog in his throat as he knew exactly what he wanted to do in terms of licking up her wounds.

But Sage liked to wear them with pride and denied it.

"Please? It's making my wolf anxious munchkin, the smell alone is—" He watched her face pinch together in a closed eye grin, she hadn't done this often. But she held both his cheeks before leaning in to let her lips touch his.

Igniting the flame.

"A-alpha...Luna? I'm sorry to interrupt, but Alpha Harlow is on the phone." Excitement rallied at the name and the she-wolf rose, only to remind Remus how exposed she was.

"Get her some clothes from upstairs, we'll be in my office." Even though the Omega was female, Remus was completely protective over his mate's decency. So he led her through the maze only to appear in his study.

One that Sage rightly didn't like.

"Do you want to say Hi to Harlow?... Maybe Jade is awake this time to—" 

"I didn't mean to fall asleep! Harlow promised to wake me up!" Sage already beamed with the sense of familiarity as she sat in front of the computer screen.

"Jade." Sage smiled, and Remus had to remind her to look at the camera. But the two sat rather comfortably in his chair, and it gave the chance for his worth to properly make sure she was alright.

"Training Sage? I thought you were focusing on school." Remus locked his chin down onto her shoulder and denied it.

"I'm learning." She said in a sense of pride, and Harlow could already sense the difference between the she-wolf he met months ago to now. She was entirely more confident with the way she spoke.

"I'm so proud of you Sage, promise you'll come when the pup is born." Harlow shook his head down to his mate.

"After Christmas, Remus has it all planned. And hopefully, the two have gotten a little farther with the mating process." Harlow wiggled his brow, but mixed with a heated growl and another slap from his mate...It wasn't truly worth the joke considering Sage hadn't gotten the entire thing.

But she did understand the word mate.

"It'd be the perfect Christmas gift, Remus, to take a vacation." 

"I think the snow will be enough of a surprise for her to handle. Luke and Liam want to come as well." The three continued to discuss the details of the trip, and Jade made an effort to include Sage. But the she-wolf was indeed comfortable sitting there and listening.

But when an Omega came with some clothes, it caused Remus to sigh.

"Is everything alright?" Jade asked, and so Remus looked to Sage for a moment and shook his head, issuing for a moment of silence.

"Munchkin, why don't you take a shower? We'll have lunch outside again." Her excitement rallied, and she nodded, though he growled in a reminder that she needed to cover herself up. Both he and Leo suspected that she understood growls, huffs, and pouts

This was indeed a proving moment.

"So there is something wrong?" Remus returned to the worse face of two people he didn't think would be helping him so much, or he would go to for said help.

"One of my enforcer's daughters challenged Sage." 

"What?!" Jade shrieked and both males shifted their shoulders at the high pitched wail.

"And? What happened?" Remus chuckled. 

"Exactly how you expect it to, she challenged and realized it was the Luna. Attempted to plea, and Sage threw her in the infirmary." The two rallied their own responses, especially now that this was all sorted and done with nobody would mess with their Luna.

It was just that Remus thought it would end in retaliation.

"I faced it too Remus, she-wolves are awful. Especially the ones that think they're hot shit like Laura assumed she was. I have no doubt that if Sage wasn't your mate, she would've faced this kind of reaction anyway. The Politics are supporting her, and if you say she isn't training then she won't." He sighed in his hand and explained that she is, but only with those who guard her.

"She's too strong for normal pack members, I know she wants a challenge. But how many times can she spar with her brothers or Jack and Eli before she gets bored?" Now it was Harlow's turn to chuckle. 

"Sounds like she should be training the pack. Training the enforcers even. That's why her wolf is antsy, because she knows that she's needed somewhere else...Remember that bedtime story, the one with the tribal wife?" Remus leaned back in his leather chair and shook his head, and it seemed like he wasn't the only one who was clueless as Jade looked up as well.

"She couldn't understand her mate or the people around her as she was from a different tribe and pack, but her wolf was strong. Sure they're long extinct now but her wolf was too well trained for the rest of the pack. And so she trained them, she brought the status up. Some Luna's aren't meant to be Warriors, but in another life, I'm sure Sage would've been just as equally strong." Jade remained silent and bit her lip, this was indeed a telling tale. But part of her just assumed that Sage was just bored.

"He's right, she wants to be involved. She went from taking the Alpha position and having led whoever was available in a fight to being stuck behind a book." Harlow hummed in approval to showcase that he agreed, and Remus groaned. He needed to do more with Sage, but it was thoroughly behind because she couldn't understand what was being said.

"I think she needs a girl's night," Jade mumbled, and it caused both Remus and Harlow to laugh at the Luna. But she silenced them easily. "I'm serious, she has brothers. Does she have any friends that aren't related or trying to protect her?" 

"Ally, she was walking home with her. I think she invited Sage for a sleepover, but it never happened." Jade smiled, explaining that if Sage was going to become a social wolf, she needed to be among the people and not just family.

But now it was an obvious shift of how comfortable Remus was in letting her go.

"Remus, did you watch the challenge?" 
"Of course I did." 

"Then what are you worried about, Sage should have friends, she should be with people her own age. I'm saying letting her go out and drink, but at least let her get out and have some fun." Have fun. What did Sage do to have fun?

Jade saw the struggle in his eyes and frowned further, she knew it was difficult for him to find a common ground or what Sage would favor from the academic setting.

"She likes reading right now, and swimming...Running."
"That's good, but what does she do by herself besides reading?" The question through his mind and he found himself shrugging.

"She likes drawing, I think Ally gave her a 'how to' book or something." 

"That's perfect, send her to the high school for an art class. She deserves a break too." Remus hadn't thought on that, and it would be decent to send her to those around her age.

Besides, her tutor needed a break as well.

He'd need to pass it by and get it all approved by the high school, but it shouldn't be that much of an issue. If anything, they would be delighted to have the Luna with them.

With their advice waning in, Remus returned to his mate in their room and decided that he needed to prioritize better. 

As well as communicate better.

______

Date: 11-28-2020

Time: 10:09

Words: 4526

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 43K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
2.8M 76.5K 73
Family problems were something Sasha had become accustomed to. An Alpha werewolf mate was something she was definitely not accustomed to. Sasha is a...
96.1K 4.3K 54
Ayn is a witch with healing powers. Shapeshifters have killed her parents and the only animals she cannot speak with are wolves. When she graduates...
280K 8.8K 64
⭐Highest rank: #194 in Werewolf on 20/06/2020 ⭐#1 in projectwerwolves ⭐Featured in the @Werewolf profile under Werewolf Romance [Completed on: 13 Jul...