Mermaids and Vampires

By Juffin_is_here

Mermaids and Vampires have clashed for centuries. When Dylan moves to a small town by the ocean and has a str... More

Prologue
1: Slipping Through the Shaddows
2: A Dark Mess
3: Something New
4: First days
5: A New Kind of Hell
6: That Night On The Beach ~ pt.1
7: That Night On The Beach ~ pt. 2
8: House of Nightmares
9: Close Encounter
10: Unsettling Idiosyncrasies
11: A Twist on the Unusual
12: Morning in the Woods
13: Home
14: Fallout
15: Work
16: Dinner and Decisions
17: The Search Begins
18: Car Shopping
19: Strange Happenings
20: An Interesting Night
21: Caught in Memories
22: Spilt Blood
23: Drowning
24: Awakening
25: Collapse
26: Missing
27: Nightfall
28: Questions and Answers
29: Into The Ground
30: Spiralling Downwards
31: Alone in Company
32: Breakaway
33: Arrival in Creepsville
34: Discovery
35: The Bait
36: Pure Terror
37: A Visitor
38: Bonfires
39: Surprises
40: Ocean View
41: The Spark
43: Turbid Water
44: Talk Talk
45: Breakout
46: Fire
47: Reunion
48: A Change In Plans
49: Onward
50: War Paint
51: On the Dock
52: Back from the Dead
53: A Storm Begins
54: Refusal
55: Arrival
56: A Follower
57: Blindside
58: Caught
59: Betrayal
60: Trouble
61: Hunters
62: Nightwalk
63: A Revelation
64: A Plan
65: The Clash
66: Time
67: Regret
68: Confrontation
69: Moments
70: The End
Epilogue
Note to Readers: Mermaids and Vampires Sequel

42: Sunset

3.2K 205 15
By Juffin_is_here

~~~~DYLAN~~~~

My legs dangle over the edge of the dock, toes skimming the surface of the water as they swing leisurely across it. I feel different today. There isn't that pull to enter the water. Even here, so close to it, I feel quite content on land.

"Did you think about joining the hunt?" Ella asks.

I chuckle. "Your dad was quite persuasive."

"You ought to want to. After what they did to your dad."

I shrug.

"Not the revengeful type?" She asks.

"Guess not."

I hadn't told her about Lauren.

"You're not even a little mad? If I lost my dad I don't know what I'd do. I definitely wouldn't be as calm as you are."

"You might be."

"No. I'd probably be balling right now."

I flick the water with my toe. I'm not sure what to say. Everything changed at once. And now I feel like I'm a part of something bigger. But I'm careful about how much I let on. I don't need to spill all.

We're silent for a moment. The sun is setting on the horizon. The ocean is absolutely calm.

"I'm going to get a drink." Ella says, standing up.

"I'll stay." I say.

"Want anything?"

I shake my head.

She turns and heads down the long dock, towards the beach where there's a small cafe.

Soon I'm alone.

I lean back on my hands and take in the expansive view. Life sure is strange and unpredictable. If there's one thing that doesn't change it's the wonder and vastness of the ocean. It can make you forget about everything.

I hear something beneath the dock. My instinct is to pull my legs up out of the water. I peer down through the slits in the wood, trying to figure out what it was.

"I must tell you something." A voice says from the edge of the dock.

I rush to look over. Floating in the water, Cordelia stares up at me. I smile upon seeing her.

"Don't run away again." I plead.

Her expression remains serious and unchanged.

"You're a mermaid." I state. "You don't have to hide it anymore."

"It's not what I am, Dylan. It's what you are." She says. "When I came on land I was drawn to you. I didn't understand it. I thought it was love."

She pauses and looks past me, checking that no one is near.

"It was my one day." She admits, "Each of us is granted one day per year, one 24 hour period in which to go on land, mingle with the humans, find love, satisfy our cravings, reproduce... I wasn't looking to fall in love. I just wanted to live among humans. To see what it feels like. Dylan, when I saw you I couldn't hold back. You were magnetic. You are so, so different from the rest of them."

"I can breath underwater." I interrupt.

"You're a mermaid."

"A mer-man." I correct.

She shakes her head. "There is no such thing. Every mermaid gives birth to a female. There are no men underwater. That's why we must come on land."

"Then how do you explain it?"

Her eyes flutter up.

"The girl is coming back."

I glance behind me. She's at the other end of the dock.

"Be quick."

"It is said that if a man is born a mermaid he is Uliratha, the chosen one. And he will lead our people through the greatest war to victory." She begins shaking her head.

I can hear Ella's footsteps getting closer.

"But the mermaids don't want a dictator." She says.

And she pops her head underwater just as Ella approaches. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 49 16
▷ BTS mermaid Series ▷ The Dream Series *WARNING* This book contains the following: ▷ blood and murder ▷ Sexual Content (?) "Let's take a trip to the...
4.3K 283 24
She's practically Vampire royalty. He's one of the most well known Vampire Hunters. Will different sides keep them apart? TRIGGER WARNINGS Alcohol us...
18.9K 1.9K 38
Jungkook, a vampire who are feared by humans had laid his eyes on a beautiful creature from the waters, a merman. And from that moment his whole life...
149 1 13
A young explorer visits an island with a secret.There is something in the water and its alive.