𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐘 - DIN DJARIN

By dindjarindiaries

❝𝐈 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲.❞ An ex-princess forced to hide and fight for her l... More

SEASON ONE
Chapter 1: The Mandalorian
Chapter 2: The Princess
Chapter 3: The Hunter
Chapter 4: The Soldier
Chapter 5: The Village
Chapter 6: Confliction
Chapter 7: The Attack
Chapter 8: The Ruin
Chapter 9: The Recovery
Chapter 10: The Hunt
Chapter 11: The Rookie
Chapter 12: The Job
Chapter 13: The Gang
Chapter 14: Domination
Chapter 15: The Scar
Chapter 16: The Magistrate
Chapter 17: The Confrontation
Chapter 18: The Plan
Chapter 19: The Culmination
Chapter 20: Salvation
Chapter 21: The Riduurok*
Ethereal (Interlude)
Nova (Interlude)
SEASON TWO
Chapter 22: The Return
Chapter 23: The Settlement
Chapter 24: The Ally
Chapter 26: Desperation*
Chapter 27: The Crash
Chapter 28: The Cave
Chapter 29: The Boat
Chapter 30: Devastation
Chapter 31: The Mission
Chapter 32: The Layover
Chapter 33: The Revelation
Chapter 34: The Father
Chapter 35: The Son
Chapter 36: The Promise
Chapter 37: The Loss
Chapter 38: Coercion
Chapter 39: The Sacrifice
Chapter 40: The Threat
Chapter 41: The Duel
Chapter 42: The Goodbye
Aftermath (Interlude)
Desolation (Interlude)
Miracle (Interlude)
SEASON 2.5 (TBOBF)
Chapter 43: The Wanderers
Chapter 44: The Way
Chapter 45: The Voyage
Chapter 46: The Starfighter
Chapter 47: The Disillusioned
Chapter 48: The Storm
Chapter 49: The Battle
Chapter 50: Reunion*
Bliss (Interlude)
Honor (Interlude)
SEASON THREE
Chapter 51: The Quest
Chapter 52: Restoration
Chapter 53: The Burden
Chapter 54: The Homeworld
Chapter 55: The Torment
Chapter 56: The Waters
Chapter 57: Redemption*
Chapter 58: The Armor
Chapter 59: The Lesson
Chapter 60: The Briefing
Chapter 61: The Siege
Chapter 62: The Droid Problem
Chapter 63: The Investigation
Chapter 64: The Darksaber
Chapter 65: The Unification
Chapter 66: The Surface
Chapter 67: The Capture
Chapter 68: The Pursuit
Chapter 69: Liberation
Chapter 70: The Apprentice
Chapter 71: Home*

Chapter 25: The Dragon

10.4K 340 468
By dindjarindiaries

chapter 25: the dragon •••

The next day, you're already headed back to Mos Pelgo, having convened with the Tuskens after seeing the krayt dragon's lair. Din had already caught you up on the plans you'd missed the night before—through many kisses, as is Din's most effective way to communicate in the mornings—and now, you're prepared to recruit the villagers' help to make this takedown possible.

It's like Sorgan all over again.

And in every way for you, too. That dread you'd faced during that time leading up to the attack of the raiders is no different than the one you face now. There's a feeling of fear that fills you nearly to the brim, causing your grip on Din's middle to be even tighter than usual as you ride back to Mos Pelgo.

"Something wrong, cyar'ika? " Din asks you loud enough to be heard over the rushing wind but quiet enough to keep it between you and him. You can see his wrists adjust on the handles in an anxious manner.

You release a gentle sigh, not wanting to worry Din but also not wanting to lie to him as you rest your chin atop the clothed part of his shoulder. "Remember Sorgan, the first time?" you ask, earning a nod before you elaborate. "We would have those talks before the fight, and I always talked about how I was afraid of something changing."

"Yeah, I remember," Din agrees, freeing one hand from the bike quickly to brush it over yours. "You're not afraid of something changing again, are you? Because that won't happen."

"No." You're quick to refute Din's words as you sink your teeth into your lower lip, trying to think of how you can possibly describe your feelings in a way that'll make sense. "I... I'm not sure what I'm afraid of, Din. But I have a bad feeling about all this."

"I'm sure it'll be all right, riduur ." Din leans back in an attempt to touch part of his helmet to your head. "We happen to be pretty damn good at helping villages out."

You laugh at that, shaking your head in amazement at the way Din's able to rid you of at least some of the heavy dread that sits on your shoulders. You'd say more if you weren't already rolling into town, where Cobb's started to tell you more about the past tensions between Mos Pelgo and the Tuskens.

"They attacked us less than a year ago," Cobb explains, pulling his makeshift speeder over and to a halt as he looks over at you and Din. "Killed half a dozen of us by the mining camp." Cobb pauses, sitting back in his seat and looking ahead with a gaze that's nearly full of guilt. "I'd say I took down about twice as many Tuskens." He then stands and gets off of his speeder, a worried look fixed on his features in a way that makes you and Din share a look of concern.

"The town respects you," Din insists, earning Cobb's attention for a moment. "My guess is, they'll listen to reason."

"And strong leadership," you add, and Din nods in agreement.

Cobb knocks his fist against the speeder with a raised brow, looking between the two of you with doubt. "I wouldn't be so sure," Cobb remarks, walking away to gather everyone into the cantina. You and Din share another look before you get off the bike, taking the baby in your arms as you walk alongside Din towards the cantina.

Within just a few minutes, the entire town is packed inside, murmuring nervously amongst themselves as Cobb stands before them. You and Din stand just behind him, your free hand tight in his as you look out at the villagers. Din's become much better about letting you show affection in such a way in public—only in places where he knows it's safe. Evidently, Mos Pelgo isn't a threat to him.

"This here is a Mandalorian," Cobb finally begins, gesturing to Din in a way that makes everyone stare. You can hear the light breath Din takes, his helmet turning towards you in an almost shy manner. You give his gloved hand a quick squeeze. "You know what that means?"

"We've heard the stories," Weequay answers for the villagers, earning a few nods in agreement.

"Then you know how good they are at killin'," Cobb goes on. It creates a tension in the room as they look to Din. When they also look to you and the baby, however, you notice some confusion on their faces—as if the image of this Mandalorian holding hands with you while you hold a little green baby contradicts exactly what Cobb's just said. "Now, this one's got a problem." Din looks back over to Cobb at that, his free hand rising to rest on his belt as you also look at the Marshal. "I got a suit o' salvaged armor and the Mandalorian Creed says it's his to take."

This statement causes obvious distress amongst the villagers. You narrow your eyes at them, earning a squeeze from Din's hand. When you turn to look at him, he tilts his helmet slightly at you, as if to tell you that it's all right and you don't need to get protective. Still, you bristle more than before, raising a wary brow at the villagers as you draw yourself a little closer to Din's side.

"But I've got a problem, too," Cobb says. "A krayt dragon has been peelin' off our pack animals, and sometimes, takin' our mining haul with it." He pauses, looking at the villagers seriously before continuing. "It's just a matter of time before it grows tired of banthas and goes after a couple of you townsfolk—or even, so help us, the school."

There's another murmuring of panic at that, the villagers shaking their heads in remorse at the idea of the dragon hurting their children. It even makes you pull the baby closer into your side, his little hand taking a hold of your thumb in a way that makes you smile widely down at him.

"As much as I've grown fond of the armor," Cobb adds, "I'm even more fond of this town." He pauses and takes a quick breath. "The Mandalorian is willing to help us slay the leviathan in exchange for returning the armor to its ancestral owners."

The people start to nod at that, looking upon Din with kinder eyes now as they agree. "Well, that settles it," Weequay insists, earning other mumbles of agreement.

"There's more," Cobb remarks. He takes a deeper breath this time before he continues. "We can't take on the krayt alone... and the Sand People are willing to help."

Instantly, the villagers start to protest, some even standing from their places as they wave their arms about in an angered manner. "They raid our mines!" one angry man exclaims, banging his fist upon a table to emphasize his point.

"They're monsters! " Weequay adds, his words instantly making you stiffen alongside Din. You can feel the heat of anger brewing up inside you—especially upon remembering the kind and gentle way the Tuskens had welcomed you and Din into their camp the other night—and almost begin to speak. Yet, Din squeezes your hand before you can, causing you to look over at him as he gives you a nod. You immediately understand what he's saying, releasing his hand to let him step forward.

"I've seen the size of that thing," Din informs the villagers, making them all fall quiet as their eyes look upon him. "It'll swallow your entire town when the fancy hits it. You're lucky Mos Pelgo isn't a sand field already."

Din pauses and looks over at you, as if seeking your approval or judgment. You give him a nod and a small smile, encouraging him to keep going as he turns his helmet back to face the villagers.

"I know these people," Din continues. "They are brutal. But so is the Dune Sea. They've survived for thousands of years in these sands and they know the krayt dragon better than anyone here. They are raiders, it's true. But they also keep their word." Din pauses, looking around the crowd before he goes on. "We have struck a deal. If we're willing to leave them the carcass and its ichor, they will stand by our side in battle and vow never to raise a blaster against this town until one of you breaks the peace."

Din stops there, and the people begin to look amongst themselves. They start to mumble a rather reluctant agreement—but at least they're accepting it. Din looks to Cobb and offers a nod before he turns to you again. You smile at him as you close the distance between you, pressing a hand to his cuirass as you speak. "Very well said, riduur ," you praise him, resisting the urge to press your forehead to his helmet as you instead run your thumb over the beskar of his cuirass. "You'd think that you were the ex-royal official in this marriage."

Din chuckles at that, shaking his head as he takes you by the hand again. "You could've said it much more elegantly, ner kar'ta ," he insists, letting your hands swing between the both of you in a bashful manner as his helmet watches them go.

You scoff, shaking your head as you nudge his shoulder. "Please just accept the compliment for once," you plead, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

Din sighs dramatically, still bringing you closer to his side as he nods. "Fine. Thank you, cyar'ika ."

You smile and nod at him, staying close as you walk out of the cantina and head to the outpost where you'll gather the explosives and meet up with the Tuskens. You can sense the tension already as you, Din, and Cobb watch the villagers unload the explosives—something you'd be helping with if a certain little green baby wasn't taking a power nap in the crook of your elbow. That tension only grows once the Tuskens arrive, the villagers pausing in their work to watch their single-file line of banthas walk up to the outpost. You look over at Din, seeing him look to you as well as you share a concerned glance.

The villagers and Tuskens manage to get all the explosives loaded up with only one instance of strife. Cobb had stepped in at just the right time, keeping his villager from doing anything to the Tusken who'd accidentally dropped an explosive and insisting that it was an accident. When he'd walked back over to you and Din, he'd huffed, lifting his brow with a sarcastic look on his face.

"It's gonna be great," Cobb had said, making you scoff and Din tilt his helmet as you looked out at the people returning to their work.

After an easy-paced journey to the krayt's lair, everyone starts to unload, heading closer to the krayt's lair without descending to the lower ridge. Only a single Tusken does so, approaching the mouth of the cave with caution as they kneel down and place both hands against the ground. You stay close to Din's side—the baby remaining in the bag on your speeder so as to keep him far away from any danger—as you await the Tusken's report. After they stand up, they turn to face your group, signing at Din from a distance.

"What he'd say?" Cobb asks, looking over at Din with curiosity.

"He says it's sleeping," Din answers, his visor fixed on the Tusken in the distance. You can sense the protectiveness he feels for them, making you brush your hand against his—just for him to take it completely in his own. "If we listen carefully, we can hear it breathing."

Cobb narrows his eyes, either suspicious of what the Tusken said or trying to concentrate on hearing the krayt breathe. It's then that the Tuskens offer him the green item of peace again—and this time, Cobb takes it. He looks at it with a sigh, raising his brow before he drinks it. You bite back a smile at the sight, finally feeling the tension around you dissipate before Din begins to give everyone their instructions.

Din and Cobb supervise, but you refuse to stand around, instead helping the villagers and Tuskens as you work to bury the explosives under the sand. As you do so, you strike up conversation with some of them, smiling as you get to know them better. Many of them are parents to the children at the school that Cobb had mentioned before, hopeful that the death of the krayt dragon will allow their children to learn better without fear over their safety. It makes you sympathize with them even more as your determination to protect them grows—easily outgrowing the dread from before that'd managed to stick with you.

As for Din, his worry only increases the more he watches you amongst the villagers and Tuskens.

He can see you familiarizing yourself with them in the way that always makes his heart swell, but at the same time, it creates a sense of dread in him. Din knows that if you get as attached to them as you did to the villagers in Sorgan, you'll do anything to keep them safe—and as much as he admires that, it selfishly makes him afraid that you'll put yourself in harm's way for them. He knows he would do the same thing, but he can't bear the thought of you doing such a thing.

"Ever the protective pair," Cobb's voice suddenly brings Din out of his thoughts, causing his helmet to turn to his new partner as Cobb looks almost smugly at him. Din tilts his helmet in questioning, asking for elaboration as Cobb gestures to you. "You're watchin' her like a hawk, and I saw her watchin' you earlier, too."

Din shrugs, turning back to look at you as his gloved fingers flutter nervously at his sides. "We've been through a lot together," he answers, forcing himself to take a breath as he remembers your strength and lets it soothe him. "It's inevitable."

Cobb nods to agree, dropping it for the moment as they continue to oversee the work of the people. Din realizes that they've just finished, causing him to sigh as he and Cobb approach the lower ridge. He walks right up to where you are, standing amongst the villagers and Tuskens by their makeshift harpoons. You turn to face him, the expression of determination on your face worrying Din further as he realizes what's likely going to happen.

"Are you ready, rid'ika? " Din asks, gesturing towards the upper ridge.

You grimace slightly at him, gesturing to the people around you. "I can't just stand there and do nothing for these people, riduur ," you tell him, your eyes softening at Din as you silently plead for him to understand. "You and Cobb have much more of a role up there than I would. My place is here, fighting alongside them."

Din sighs again and looks away from you for a moment, feeling torn between his admiration of your courage and strength and his protectiveness at the idea of you being so close to the krayt dragon. Still, he knows he won't be able to change your mind, and he needs to trust you as much as he asks you to trust him. So, he offers a nod, taking your hands in his and holding them to his beskar-covered chest. "Please stay safe, cyar'ika ," Din begs, his modulated voice so soft it nearly doesn't pass through his modulator. "Be wise and strong in all the ways I know you are."

You smile in a bittersweet manner at him, bringing yourself even closer to him as you give him a nod. "I will, Din," you say, making sure your voice is low enough for no one else to hear your utterance of his name. "Only if you do, too."

"I'm a Mandalorian , cyare ," Din jokes as lightly as he can right now, giving your hands a gentle squeeze. "This is what we do best."

You roll your eyes at him playfully. "You Mandalorians," you snicker, nothing but fondness present in your voice. "Always so eager to show off."

Din chuckles. "Only for you." He then rests his helmet against your forehead. " Ni kar'tayl —."

"— gar darasuum ," you finish for him, warming his heart immensely. Din knows you're the only person who can make his native language sound so beautiful. "And I'll tell you again when this is all over."

Din smiles at that, regretful to pull away but knowing he can't delay the attack any longer. Cobb's been waiting patiently for Din to finish, and he falls in step with Din as they head back to the upper ridge. Cobb gestures to the detonator in his hand, causing Din to nod as they continue walking. Once they reach the ridge, they stand in place with weapons nearby and ready, Din's gloved fist curling at his side as his visor instinctively lands on you.

The three Tuskens start to make their way to the mouth of the cave, preparing to awaken the krayt dragon and draw it out. Din forces himself to take a deep breath, usually not feeling so nervous to face such a creature—but knowing the stakes have risen with you being in the face of all the action. They stop once they reach the place where the first Tusken had gone before, turning to each other before they call out to the creature. There's a moment of silence, and then the creature growls—causing the three Tuskens to start making a run for it. Din holds his breath, watching as the krayt dragon finally emerges from his cave.

It completely dwarfs all of you, digging a pit in Din's stomach that he attempts to ignore.

Instead, he pulls out his scope as the Tuskens fire their harpoons, peering through it to get a better look. Din grimaces beneath his helmet when he realizes the krayt's not charging ahead, but is retracting back inside. " Dank farrik , it's going back in," Din mutters, watching as the Tuskens try desperately to keep it in place. Some of them end up getting dragged across the sand, the dragon taking them back with itself. "It's retreating."

Din can hear the detonator shift around in Cobb's hand before he speaks. "I'm going to hit it," Cobb insists.

"No, wait," Din demands. "We only have one shot. We've gotta' get it out."

That's when Din notices you and the villagers starting to do your parts, some throwing rocks as others blast it with all they have. You've got your blaster out as you shoot at it, looking as if you're encouraging the people around you to do the same as you keep going. Din can't help looking nervously between you and the giant creature. It starts to get angry enough that it comes out further, even aiming to devour a few of the villagers who are forced to run back. Thankfully, you aren't part of that group—but it's still coming too close for comfort. Din grits his teeth, remorseful to hold off on the detonator but knowing that he has to do what's right. "Now?" Cobb questions, still holding the detonator tight in his grasp.

"Not yet," Din remarks, wishing he could agree as he checks through his scope again. "It's gotta' come out further."

You, the villagers, and the Tuskens fight even harder, all of you blasting and shooting and throwing relentlessly as the krayt gets more and more noticeably agitated. Din can feel his heart leap in his throat as he watches you, his gaze switching between you and the krayt as it roars louder and louder. With one particular roar, it lifts the Tuskens from their places at the ropes that try to contain it. It frees itself completely from the harpoons and rises higher in the air—preparing for something Din knows isn't good. That's when he sees the acid in its mouth.

"No," Din breathes, letting the scope fall to his side as he already starts to charge forward. "Astra!"

"Whoa, Mandalorian, it's all right!" Cobb exclaims, turning to set both his hands against Din's cuirass and keep him from advancing any further. "She'll be fine!"

Din's still watching the dragon, though, seeing it spew its acid towards the people—and getting a few of them. He's nearly sick at the sight of you running so quickly away from it, even if you still make it out.

"I need your eyes!" Cobb insists, gesturing to the scope in Din's gloved fist. "I know you're worried for her, but if we don't hit it at the right time, everyone down there will die!"

Din nods, taking a deep breath in an attempt to regain his composure as he lifts the scope back up to his visor. He sees the krayt finally approaching the place where the explosives are buried. "Almost, almost..." Din pauses, watching as the krayt finally lands on top of the spot, " now! "

Cobb hits the detonator, causing dust to fly and a strong wind to blow as the explosives go off. The people on the lower ridge either fall to the ground or turn away, and Din notes that you in particular shield a few villagers behind you as the dust blows. Din hears the ground rumble as the krayt disappears from sight.

But never from mind.

You, the villagers, and the Tuskens look around, trying to find out if the plan worked. Din grimaces underneath the helmet. This silence is much more unwelcome than he'd expected—mostly because there's no carcass underneath the dust.

"I don't think it's dead," Cobb suddenly mutters to Din, seemingly mirroring his exact thoughts as he stares doubtfully at the settling dust.

"Me either," Din agrees, forcing himself to take a deep breath as he continues surveying the area. Everyone keeps looking around with him—but Din notices that you, in particular, look right up to where he is on the ridge.

That's when Din hears the roaring from above, followed by a cracking of rocks as he looks to see the krayt appearing from a nearby ridge. His fists tighten at his sides and he has to resist the urge to run to you again when the krayt spews more of its acid, targeting a group of people much too close to you for comfort and completely disintegrating them in front of your very eyes. Cobb stirs beside Din before he speaks. "It's pickin' us off like womp rats," he insists gruffly, turning to head back towards his speeder. "Let's get after it!"

Din takes one last look at you and the krayt, leaping into action himself shortly after as he hurries to the speeder and grabs his pulse rifle. The baby coos at him before he goes, earning a quick brush of his ear from Din before he joins Cobb at his side. He activates his jetpack and gets up into the air first, seeing Cobb flying alongside him soon enough as they approach the krayt.

Din flies onto the side of the ridge, soon landing in a ready position as Cobb does the same. He aims the rifle and fires a few charges near its eye, huffing when the krayt barely seems to notice.

"This ain't doin' a thing!" Cobb rants, looking over at Din through his helmet in a concerned manner.

Din grimaces. "Just keep shooting!" he instructs, offering a nod of reassurance as he turns back to the krayt.

Sure enough, they soon catch the krayt's attention, causing it to head towards them as they fly away just in time. Din leads the way back down to the surface, landing on the lower ridge as he quickly recovers his step and aims back up at the krayt. Cobb does the same.

But the krayt's nowhere to be seen.

Din can feel your worried gaze on him but he's too focused to look away now, his gloved fingers flexing over the trigger as he waits for the krayt to make its appearance.

When it returns, it's from behind them, causing both Din and Cobb to turn around and watch where the krayt moves towards them—a few villagers and Tuskens trapped in between.

"There he is," Din mutters, gripping his pulse rifle with both his hands as he helplessly watches the krayt go for some of the villagers and Tuskens, thankfully nowhere near you. He's desperate for a plan—and it comes to him when he hears its worried whines from behind him. Din turns to see one of the banthas close by, explosives still trapped to its sides as it anticipates the nearby danger.

He knows what he has to do—and he knows you're going to hate it.

"I've got an idea," Din informs Cobb, shifting on his feet as he looks up at the krayt. "Get its attention."

Immediately, Cobb leans forward, activating his missile and letting it launch. It soars and lands on the side of the krayt's head, causing it to roar before it turns to them with evident distress. Cobb moves around anxiously. "I got its attention!" he remarks, slight panic evident in his tone. "Now what?"

Mentally, Din apologizes to Cobb first, knowing what he'll have to face in the aftermath of this plan—especially if it goes wrong. He looks at Cobb, his fingers drumming against his rifle. "You still have that detonator?"

Cobb nods, grabbing it off his belt and handing it to Din. "Take it!" he assures him. Din mentally apologizes to his son next. "What's the plan?"

Finally, Din apologizes to you. "You're gonna take care of my family," Din informs him, securing the detonator on his belt as he looks to Cobb.

Cobb looks up at the krayt, though Din can sense the worry he has at Din's words. "What are you gonna do?" he questions.

Din doesn't have time—he never has enough time —as he instead has to speak and act fast. "I don't know, but wish me luck!" he exclaims, jutting the end of his rifle into Cobb's jetpack to send him flying uncontrollably through the air.

That's when Din activates the detonator, preparing the explosives as he waits with the bantha. In its desperation to flee the oncoming dragon, the bantha thrashes its head around and lows, breaking free from the anchor that's tying it down.

Din turns around, his eyes widening behind his helmet as he rushes towards it. "No!—No, no, no!" he exclaims worriedly, grabbing the rope and securing it in his fist. "Hold on— whoa , whoa whoa." He now has to keep the bantha in place, turning around to face the oncoming dragon.

Din knows what this means. He has to revert to Plan B. And that means the suffering in the aftermath of his plan is going to be even worse than he anticipated.

He tries to get a quick glance at you before it happens, thankfully finding you right away as he sees you many yards away watching him with an unreadable expression. Din knows that you're expecting him to quickly fly away at the last minute. He'd been expecting to do that, too, but the bantha has to remain in place somehow.

Trust me, cyar'ika , Din tries to say with his gaze, basking in the sweet sight of you before he looks back up to the approaching krayt.

It opens its jaws wide as it hovers over him, yet Din doesn't flinch for a moment. He can't. Like he'd told you before, he's a Mandalorian after all—and if he's anything like the ones he's been told about, he should make it out of this just fine.

But you and the child are the only things on his mind and heart when he's covered by the same acid that he tried to keep away from you.

Meanwhile, your heart has absolutely leapt into your throat as you wait for Din to take off and leave the bantha alone with the dragon. But he doesn't. Instead, the creature comes down on him with full-force, causing sand to fly in every direction as you're forced to look away for a few moments. You expect to find Din somehow standing there after some crafty move when you look back, doing what he does best: making you worry for no reason.

Yet, when the dust clears, there's nothing there—not even a single remnant of your husband.

He's been devoured whole by the krayt dragon.

"Din," you gasp under your breath, barely able to recognize your own voice as the realization fully dawns upon you. " Riduur! " Your voice is a strangled cry as you start to charge forward, aiming for the place where the dragon took Din under.

You can see Cobb standing up quickly from where he's landed in your peripherals, immediately running over to take a hold of your upper arms and stop your advance. "Hey hey hey, it's okay!" he tries to reassure you, his grip strong but still not enough to hold you back as you try to push past him.

"It's not! " you nearly yell, forcing yourself close to where Din just was. "My husband is—the dragon took—!"

You're cut off by your own yelp of surprise when Cobb wraps his arms under your shoulders, dragging you back with all his might as you thrash around to escape his hold. Tears of frustration and grief start to cloud your eyes as the image of Din being swallowed whole haunts your mind.

"Let me go!" you plead, not caring about the attention you're drawing in the tense silence that surrounds you. "Let me go! "

"I'm sorry, partner," Cobb apologizes sincerely, still having to drag you further back. "I can't do that. I promised him I'd take care of ya'."

"Let me go," you beg again, the volume of your voice lowering now in your desperation—especially at the mention of Din's last wish for Cobb to take care of you. " Please —just let me... let me..." you pause, wincing as you swallow back a cry, "I just have to try ."

"I know," Cobb remarks sadly, finally setting you in place when you stop fighting him. "I understand, but—."

Cobb's cut off by the sudden shaking of the ground around you, clueing you in to the fact that the krayt could be returning. You nearly gasp when it leaps out of the sand just in front of you—with the light of a blue electric shock flying from its mouth, along with a familiar figure.

Din kriffing Djarin.

He flies further away and clicks the detonator, causing the bantha within the krayt that Din had trapped there to explode. As the krayt falls to the ground in defeat, Din lands just in front of it, turning to watch just as the dust starts to settle. Everyone around you watches as he catches his breath for a moment, still in disbelief as the krayt lays still in death.

Then, the cheers arise—but all you can focus on is getting one foot in the front of the other as fast as possible.

You don't care how gross Din is from the krayt when your body collides into his own, your arms wrapping around him so tightly that you're afraid you may be making it harder for him to breathe. He gladly accepts you in his embrace, keeping his rifle tight in one hand as the other presses against the back of your head.

"You—You metal bastard," you chastise him, not lifting your face from its place against his cuirass as you hold him even closer. "I... I thought you were—I thought— damn you, Djarin."

" Ni ceta, rid'ika ," Din remarks, his modulated tone honest as he presses his helmet to your head. I'm sorry . "I'm so sorry. I didn't have time to explain."

"You stupid, reckless, brave, and absolutely incredible tin can," you keep ranting, trying to grip onto him even more firmly as Din attempts to calm you with sweet nothings. "How dare you be so selfless."

"How dare you marry a Mandalorian," Din retorts, evidently trying to keep things light-hearted as he pulls his head away just to rest it back against your forehead. You hold his helmet between your hands as you manage to get out a chuckle, shaking your head against his.

"Still one of the best decisions I ever made," you assure him, keeping your voice low as you smile at him. "Probably right up there with my decision not to divorce you after what the hell you just put me through."

Din nearly belly laughs at that, pulling you back against him as he secures you in his embrace again—the both of you still needing as much of each other as you can get right now.

After a few more long moments of just standing there, you finally manage to get back into action, staying close by Din's side—and taking his hand whenever you can get away with it—as you begin to pack up after the fight. The Tuskens have already started to pick at the carcass of the dragon, offering your family a large portion of the meat that you secure to the back part of the bike. The baby seems the most eager about that, admiring the raw meat with large eyes as Din throws a cloth borrowed from the Tuskens over it.

That's when Cobb walks over with his armor in hand, lifting his brow at Din as your Mandalorian starts to act almost shy during their first exchange since he'd been swallowed. "Sorry," Din apologizes sincerely, "I didn't have time to explain."

"No need," Cobb assures him, his gaze flickering over to where you're still close by Din's side. "I don't think I'm the one who needs the apology."

You and Din both chuckle at that, your eyes widening as you look at Cobb with an eyebrow raised. "Oh, trust me, I've already demanded mine," you inform him, causing him to chuckle as well as he starts to hand the armor over to Din.

"This was well-earned," Cobb remarks, looking at Din with a glint of friendly admiration in his gaze.

"It was my pleasure," Din insists, shaking Cobb's hand.

"I hope our paths cross again," Cobb says, nodding with a small smile as he turns to shake your hand as well. Instead, you offer it to his lips, allowing him to finally get that chaste kiss in on your knuckles as his smile widens.

Din doesn't say anything about it this time, instead just responding to Cobb's previous words. "As do I," he remarks, fondness evident in his voice as Cobb starts to walk away.

But then, he stops, gesturing to the armor now strapped to Din's speeder as he furrows his brow. "Oh," Cobb starts to add, "and you tell your people I wasn't the one that broke that."

Din scoffs playfully at that, watching as he walks away in silence. He then turns to look at you, not shy about resting his helmet against your forehead before he speaks. "You ready to head back, rid'ika? "

You nod, tempted to kiss his helmet but hesitating as the green acid of the krayt still lingers on it. "I'm ready to get you cleaned up," you confess, making Din laugh as he helps you on the bike. "It's cruel being unable to kiss you as I'd like, riduur ."

"That makes two of us," Din agrees, giving your hands a squeeze when you wrap them around his middle. Then, he takes off, bringing you both back towards your temporary home.

Though, as you fail to realize, this isn't anywhere near the end of your adventures—especially here on Tatooine. •••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 133 10
The Mandalorian now has a little creature in his care; milestones big and small and a little out of order are bound to occur. (Firsts between The Man...
105K 2.2K 13
A collection of oneshots for everyone's favorite tin can man. [din djarin/oc or reader] [the mandalorian s1-s2]
460 2 61
After S1E8 Din returns to Sorgan for some much needed respite. Bonds deepen but his creed and his quest hold him back. After S2E16 creed broken and c...
7K 199 13
You are a singer in a galaxy famous bar, the Galaxy Cove. Due to its popularity, it attracts a large variety of people. One day, a mandalorian walks...