Why we run

By michy_addo

***This book does have a prequel. It's called "I can see you." You do not need to read that book to read this... More

You even smell like her
I am a fighter
Uncle Lamar
I am Isabella Jackson
Not the headlines!
The media
Truth spills
The ground-rules
Sickled
Ladders
Easterbrook Mafia
Family and I don't mix.
Security
Meet the Easterbrooks prt.1
Swimming with the fishes
The mind of Carlos
Meet the Easterbrooks prt 2
Parties and princesses
Party girl
Substances... stay away
The Isabella Jackson, they want to see
We
Tatt and oos
Foceful liars
!HOLA¡ Argentina
Family reunion 1
Family reunion 2
Family reunion 3
This is my life now
Why we run
Create change
Place
Fulfilling dreams
Team Jozzy agreements and family feuds
Heart and soul
Calm-ish before the storm
It's on
Epilogue
Bonus: Vacation
Bonus: vacation prt 2

Winner

75 3 3
By michy_addo

Winner

I start stretching for the long jump.

I don't pay much attention to the men.

Katarina starts us off. She is a fairly tall woman. I guess we are all fairly tall women but still. She is 6 foot and I am 5'10 so she is tall. This is the event she beat me in in qualifiers all those years ago.

She claps and gets the rhythm of the crowd on her side.

She runs and jumps. She doesn't even touch the board but made an impressive 6.59 as a start.

Able is my long jump girl. She's up next.

She didn't want anyone to talk to her while she got in her zone.

When Able jumps, she soars, and it's a beautiful sight.

I cheer for her as she makes an astounding 6.94 meters.

A personal best.

Most of my team hasn't trained for track since their high school or college days.

Next up is me. I only get to 6.70. At least it's better than Katarina.

Throughout all three attempts, no one could get close to Able.

Behind her was Lisa, who's best jump was at 6.87.

Bev is the last jumper today. She is certain that she can beat Able. Her best jump today is right behind Lisa, with 6.86 metres.

Bev jumps and flies. Her extension is insane. I think she might have gotten it.

But I don't like the way she landed. It was a bit off.

I knew something was wrong when she didn't get up immediately.

Bev raises her hand, and I know it's bad.

I race over as the team captain.

"Beverly, look at me. Tell me what's wrong."

She doesn't speak, but she slides her hands over her thigh above the knee.

She can't get up.

I call over the emergency team.

Bev is taken to the hospital. Tom goes with them. He has no more events.

She got a good second though.

Wait... Bev is supposed to be in two more events.

I call an emergency meeting with the captains, managers and judges who are keeping track of our scores.

"Beverly is supposed to run in the next event," I say.

"You all sat down and made the rules. If four members of the team do not compete, they are disqualified from that event." One of the judges says.

"Then we can put in Jennifer right?" Joey questions.

"Wrong. Any member who has already competed in an event cannot change or be switched in or out." Mari says.

Why did we make that stupid rule?

I look at the overall roster and think.

An imaginary light bulb turns on above my head.

I smile, "we have someone who's on the roster who hasn't competed yet."

"Who?" They all ask.

"Afi..." I laugh.

They all think I'm crazy.

"What? Afi Mensah is on the roster. Look for yourself. It's not specified what part of the team she's under. Her name is there, and there are no rules against it. She's even wearing the uniform." I point out.

"Bella, you are crazy-" I cut her off.

"Afi, you run long distance and relay. Those are the events Bev was for. Please don't make us disappointed." I pout at her.

And she caves!

We get back to our bench, and everyone bombards me with questions. No one says a word as I point at Afi, who is taking off the zip-up revealing her uniform.

She puts up her hair. And I help her stretch. Afi runs every morning. I know she is fit to go in.

"Bella, you know I don't run track anymore." She lays on her back.

I roll my eyes, "yeah, your dad told me you stopped because of a boy." I push her leg up.

"Let it go. That's the point I stopped because of a boy. He is still a boy!"

And she still loves him.

The boys run the 800. Olu came first with Kezie and Remus on his tail.

We ladies startup.

I start off slow. Everyone should know I love the rush of passing people.

In the first twenty seconds, we all drop toward the first and second lanes.

Afi sticks by me. We are in the middle of the ladies.

When we get to the second lap, we run the first hundred before taking off with speed.

Afi is on the same page as me.

If Katarina and Candace thought they had a chance, they are dead wrong. My only competition right now is Afi.

I take first with ease and down the last 100 Afi gains on me.

I lean forward to cross the line, and I have no idea who won.

I wrap my arm over Afi's shoulder as we wait for the results.

They can't tell. So, they are going to look at the camera.

Afi won.

We were apart by less than a tenth of a second.

That's absolutely insane.

"You have to compete again!" I yell at her over the screams of our audience.

Afi shakes her head and leans towards my ears, "I'm only doing this for you Bella. I love being your manager even though you piss me off every day." She laughs.

The heptathlon event is over.

We take an intermission.

Both teams head to their busses for lunch.

My team heads to the hospital. I'm worried about Bev.

Shockingly they let all of us in the room.

I guess they are right, the perks of having a well-known name.

"Hey, Bev, we came to see how you are doing," I say, leading the group in.

"We're you guys disqualified? This is all my fault-"

"Woah!" I cut her off, and Joey continues, "Bev, Afi is running in your place. She crossed first in the 800."

"Really? That's crazy. I didn't know you ran track?" She says.

Afi laughs, "how do you think I know how to tame that one? Do you think an ordinary person could keep up with her?"

I scoff, "when did this turn into insult Izzy?"

"Princess, it's not insulting if she's spitting facts."

I punch him in the arm.

That may have hurt me more than him. He needs to stop toning.

Tom gives us the scoop, "she tore a muscle, it's mild. It'll heal in three to six weeks. But she cannot continue with the bonus events. And we'll need to inform Mr. Mensah as she isn't fit to fulfill her duties as a guard.

I nod understanding.

"So totally unrelated to anything, I have a question." I say, and everyone looks to me, "so you all are guards, but it's more of an on-call thing until you are permanently placed?" I ask, and they nod.

I turn to Afi and give her a pleading look.

"Bella, you are out of your mind if you think I'm giving you all eleven of them. The most we give out is five-" I cut her off.

"Joey!"

"Fine." She sighs.

I begin to cheer, and everyone looks at me like I'm insane.

"What just happened?" Kezie asks.

Afi answers, "you all including, Darnel as driver, Aditiya, Oliver and the twins are permanently assigned to Bella and Joey."

They all looked shocked, and I smile, "I'm attached to you guys, we've been through a lot. I'm purposely being selfish and keeping all of you." I giggle.

We all chat and hang out for a bit.

"You guys have to leave now if you want to make it in time," Bev says. And we see her off.

My race with Katarina is up next.

I'm ready.

I remember the first time I ran on a track. The turf beneath my feet and the fresh grassy rubbery smell.

I walk up to my lane.

Katarina is already there on my left in lane 2.

"Alone up here just like back then. But this time, you'll be left behind." She says as we place our feet in position.

I won't let her words get to me. My necklace pops out of my cropped singlet. I smile. My team is Why We Run.

"You know I'm not the lonely one. I have my boyfriend and family behind me. Who do you have? Your team, who is acting like we are at the Olympics? Do you guys talk? You look like you all hate each other. You are only on his team because you lost to me. My team doesn't work like that. We are there for each other. You are just too cold to feel the warmth of our fire. I feel bad for you. I don't care if my team wins or not, but I won't feel so bad when I win this race right now." I smirk as we wait for the gun to blow.

"That chance," Katarina mutters as we both take off.

My dad and Lamar pushed me for speed. I feel light on my feet.

I love the adrenaline. The air, whipping past me as I cut through it. I don't dare to look anywhere but at the finish line.

I let out a cheer and continue to run on that track.

I make my way back to Katarina who looks at me in awe.

"Where did that speed come from? I was on your heels at the 200!" She gasps, catching her breath.

I grin, "don't underestimate the power of a team." Nothing can change the joy I feel right now.

"Isabella, I mean it. Your team has been fooling around this whole time but are amazing." She says.

"Katarina, it's probably because of my surgery. That I was able to perform with my optimal potential, in all reality, my team wasn't showing our best abilities when we ran. Other than the 800. During that, Afi and I got ahead of ourselves and raced each other, not thinking about anyone else." I laugh.

She doesn't take me seriously and walks away.

I cool down a bit before our second last race today. The 4x100 relay.

The men go first.

Even though Joey is the fastest we put him first.

He's first alongside Carlos.

Amarion's his teams' anchor, so I know he won't pay attention to what Joey does.

Andre is our anchor. Kezie and Remus are second, and third is Paul along with Olu.

When the gun goes off, Joey dashes, but I still wanted him to hold back. We are in the lead when Kezie starts. His handoff to Olu was awful. We lost our place. Andre tried gaining on Mari, yet it was no use, we were too far back.

We ladies will bring it back.

Afi and Katarina will start, followed by Nia and Lisa, then Candace and Jen.

I'm the anchor, along with Mel.

We give each other quick smiles as we see Candace and Jen nearly approach the handoff zone.

Candace is ahead, though I know my speed is no match for Melissa.

And it's true when I rush past her when the line came.

I hug her.

"Good job. I thought you were actually getting somewhere," I say.

She laughs and jokes, "piss off, Izzy. You damn well knew you were going to pass me."

I begin to laugh.

Now it's the event we've all been waiting for. The event that started this whole damn thing under different circumstances...

It's time for Joey and Amarion to race.

Joey practically jumps me and drags me behind a tree without the camera noticing.

"What the heck, you scared me," I growl at him.

"Oh, wow, so you don't want to wish me luck. I don't get no luck?" He pouts like a child.

"If you lose, I'm kicking you out. There's your luck." I say in a monotone voice.

His jaw drops.

"Joey, I'm joking. I don't care if you win or lose. This is all for fun. But I did start training you to go to the Olympics, so beating an Olympic gold medallist right now seems like a big deal. And I'm feeling quite generous after the ladies back to back win." I lean up and press my lips against his.

"There's your luck. Now go." I laugh.

"So this is what happens when-"

I cut her off, "Liv. Lo? Stell! How did you get in here?"

"Your security can't handle three beautiful women."

I groan. The twins are useless. I'm surprised that they got past Darnel.

"So we are like the siblings who snoop and make you very uncomfortable. I'm posting this online thank you very much." Liv shows us a video of Joey and I kissing behind the tree.

I roll my eyes. "I don't even care. All three of you are crazy. Joey, you have a race hurry up."

Joey settles in lane four, and Mari changes his lane from one to lane five.

Both men have a quiet conversation. Then silence. Everyone is on the edge of their seats.

Joey's eyes meet mine for a brief second and winks. I point to my leg tattoo, and he smiles.

Then the gun goes off.

It was the craziest 9-10 seconds I've ever witnessed.

Joey won. But the look on Mari's face is even better.

Amarion's best time running the 100 is 9.96 seconds.

In 2016, De Grasse's time for the 100 in Rio was 9.91 seconds. He came in third.

While Joey and I trained, I made him run the 100 metres in January then forbidden him from doing so again. So today was the first day we saw his training put to work.

Joey just completed the race in 9.87 seconds.

Amarion walks up to me. He looks pissed. He raises his singlet over his mouth when he speaks. "Why did you tell him to hold back?"

I do the same, "to play with you." I say with humour.

"He could've easily taken first in all running events right?" He asks, and now that I've seen him run at full speed. I nod.

"We are here to have fun. I don't know what you told your team, but I could care less if we won or not." I say.

"Joey is faster than De Grasse." He mumbles.

I raise an eyebrow, "may I add that we are the same age as De Grasse? We all have access to the same training equipment. Joey was just able to get to his optimal form. If you still want me to train you, my services are open." I nudge him.

He shrugs and walks away. I look to my team, who is a dogpile on top of Joey.

"Hey, Easterbrook!" All heads turn to me.

I say a couple of words, "you're ready."

Our team scores are currently being added up.

Ashton and Brianne step up on the makeshift stage and say a number.

"697,890 is one team's total. We won't say who just yet. But we will say that one of the team's overall score is greater than this... by 2 points." Brianne says.

Ashton continues, "all twenty-one of our contenders should be so proud of what they accomplished today. We have gotten word that Beverly is fine and is recovering safely in a hospital after a mild tear of her muscle. We loved seeing Afi step up and become a bigger part of the team."

Now back to Brianne, "and now that time we've been waiting for. Altogether with the contribution from their sponsors and with the donations from you all the total amount of money they have for their charity is a staggering, thirteen thousand five hundred seventy dollars."

"Congratulations, Team Amarion!" They cheer into the mic.

I begin to cheer for their team. Everyone follows my lead.

Even if we lost the event, I've never felt more like a winner.

Amarion breaks down.

I've never seen him like this before.

Joey and I embrace him.

I know he really wanted this. He was doing it for his brother. We pass him off to his parents. It's always been a bit strange with them, ever since we told them what happened between Mari and me. We work with it.

Our family enter the field.

Elena and Maria squeeze the life out of me. I laugh it off.

I smile when my dad and Lamar approach me.

And surprise-surprise, my dad takes me off my feet.

"My little girl is as fast as lightning." He exaggerates.

"Dad, I'm twenty-eight. I'm not a little girl anymore."

"You did amazing. Joey is really fast. How did you train him?" He asks.

I chuckle, "Joey was always faster than Mari. His positioning and form were all wrong. I fixed him."

I see the siblings hug Joey. Then my sister moves on to hug Mari.

Nope, I'm not seeing things. You can feel the intimacy radiating off of them.

Or the fact that they look like they want to jump on each other's bones...

I walk right up to them, "So when did you take my advice?"

"Izzy, I have-" I cut Stella off.

I connect the dots, "you weren't at my house all the time for Joey. You were there because she was there and only hung out with us when she wasn't there to lower suspicion." I look at Amarion.

"Okay, this has been happening since a little after your heart surgery," he spills the beans.

I look at Stella, who is looking at the ground, "Stell?"

"I tried telling you I really did. Remember when we were on the tracks, right before you got called that they were on the roof?"

I remember that three days ago... I told Stella to get herself a man and have her own family but cut her off as I got that call.

"Stella, I don't know why you are so nervous. I told him to go talk to you last year. I am okay with the two of you together. Amarion, if you hurt her, you won't stand a chance against me, Lamar, my father, Cyrus, and the entire Easterbrook family. And let me tell you, the Easterbrooks are absolutely insane." I sneer at him.

I am being dragged away in someone's arms. I look up at the man and laugh.

"I can't believe you made it!" I exclaim.

Afi walks up to us and glares, "daddy, leave Bella alone." Her African accent comes out proudly when she talks to her dad.

"I have yet to thank Izzy for my cruise along Australia and New Zealand." He says.

Afi's harsh gaze falls on me, "that's the gift you couldn't use?"

"I can't swim! Do you think I'd go on a cruise? Uncle Kwami, your daughter is making me stop the Christmas gifts." I sigh.

"He's not your uncle!" Afi has honestly had enough of me.

And with that, we are interrupted when Joey, Eli and Mari approach us.

Elijah has an unreadable expression on his face, yet the two men next to him look too smug.

"Mr. Mensah, I would like a moment of your time," Eli says confidently.

Afi scoffs and rolls her eyes.

"Elijah, can it wait. I am talking with my children-"

"Children who? I am your only child!" Afi cuts him off, and I begin to laugh wholeheartedly.

"Elijah, what would you like?" Kwami asks him.

"Sir, you may take away my position. For the past decade, I've listened to every word you've said. I would like you to listen to me. I love your daughter. I've never seen anyone since the day I ended things with her. She is against us because of something I agreed to. I want to be with her, and if the only way to do that is to own my actions and change them. I will. I will have my resignation letter on your desk on Monday." Eli says with no doubt in his voice, looking Mr. Mensah in the eyes.

My eyes fall on Afi, who is awestruck.

Her jaw is practically on the floor.

I look at Kwami, who is dumbfounded.

His joyous expression from before falls and is replaced, with a straight face, "You are turning down the best job you'll receive in your life to be with my daughter who doesn't like you?"

"I don't believe she doesn't like me."

"Afi, do you like him?" Her father asks her.

Afi composes herself, "unfortunately." She mutters.

I internally chuckle. There's Afi for you.

"You will be making the lives of Mr. Jacobs and the rest of your clients more difficult." I can't tell what game Afi's dad is playing.

"Sir, I have made up my mind, and if you cannot except that, I am sorry."

I finally understand what's going on.

Afi's dad was testing Eli to see if he would stand up against him. Kwami is currently trying not to laugh, and this makes me laugh.

"Princess, what's so funny?" Joey questions me.

And I laugh harder, "you guys don't get it. Elijah already won. He can keep his job. Can you not see the smile on Kwami's face?"

"Smile?" The three men question.

"It was a test to see if Eli can stand up for what he wants. Afi always says she doesn't want a man who's afraid of her dad. Since Elijah put his foot down, he wins. Mr. Mensah is trying to make him cave. Afi, you knew once you found out, didn't you?"

"No duh! Have you met my dad!" She exclaims.

"Izzy, you couldn't let me play my game a bit longer?" The old man frowns.

"No, because you need to fix your relationship with your daughter. Both of you are exactly alike. You are both stubborn with each other. And Afi won't let things go until you apologize." I smile.

Elijah approaches Afi and, I make everyone leave them alone because Afi will put on a stubborn act if people are watching.

Joey and I make our way to the De Grasse family.

I pick up their daughter, "hey Yuri." I greet her.

"Izzy put me down! I'm not a baby! I am four!" She yells.

We all laugh. I feel tapping on my leg. I look down to see Isadore.

"Hey mini-me what's up!" I smile.

"You guys were amazing. It was really close. You guys have to still be athletes when I make it to the Olympics!" He orders.

Andre, Joey, Nia, and I all laugh, "I don't know about me but Maybe them."

"Izzy, we talked about you doubting yourself." The ten-year-old glares at me.

"Go talk to Titus over there." I push both of them away and turn to the people I wanted to talk to.

"Thank you guys so much for coming out," I tell Andre and Nia.

"Izzy, we loved being a part of this. And maybe in 24' we'll meet again in Paris. Joey, I believe you should change your event. You'd be great at the sprints."

Joey shakes his head, "I love doing multiple events. That's why I do the heptathlon and decathlon. Maybe one day I'll race you De Grasse, but in two years, my goal is gold as a decathlete."

He nods.

We still have a long way to go. I told Joey he was ready. But if he wants this, he has to maintain his current body standards.

I ditch Joey and trail around speaking with different people. Then I end up face to face with my birth giver.

I haven't seen her since that meeting. Stell, nor dad speak about her near me anymore.

"Isabella, I am sorry..." she says, and I keep the same straight face.

I don't want to hear sorry from her. As a child, I considered my mom as my biggest bully. I want to hear a change.

"I want to support you and be there for you-"

"Why would I want that? Why did you hate me so much? Just because I didn't put my foot down as a four-year-old and say I wanted to dance? If you wanted one of your daughters to dance, why didn't you put Stella in a class? Do you know how traumatized I've been of having to go to sleep? The day I moved out, the first thing I did was get help for my insomnia. I was doing high tense training and not getting sleep, which takes a toll on my brain activity. I will never understand why you did it. Maybe this is the reason I don't want kids. I'm sorry, but right now isn't the time to talk about this."

I turn around to see my dad, Joey, Stella, Afi and Amarion.

Without a word, I pass them all. I exit the track to where the line up of fans is waiting.

There were two lines. One for my team, and one for the other.

My line was far longer.

Thank goodness Joey was on my tail because I don't think I could've taken on all of this.

After hundreds of pictures, we went home.

I take my shower after Joey takes his.

I am exhausted. I crash down on the bed beside him. I drape the comforter over my head.

And Joey starts a conversation, "Izzy, can we talk about that conversation with your mom?"

"There's nothing to talk about. I said what I said, and I am willing to talk with her."

"Do you really not want kids?" He asks.

I knew this was coming. "Joey, I am in no ways fit to be a mother. It's so much more than making sure they eat, exercise, and sleep. The emotional connection between a mother and her child should be there, and I don't think I'm capable of that."

Joey disregards everything I said, "you are still afraid of kids, aren't you." Even though I'm not looking at him, I know there's humour on his face.

"Imagine the crying. You really want me to lose my abs and get fat, don't you." I whine.

"Princess, just because you'd be carrying a child won't mean you'll get fat or lose your abs."

"But what if I have like triplets! I'll be so fat." Joey and I both begin to laugh.

I speak again, "Stell told me you want a soccer team."

"I was exaggerating... a tad bit. Plus, we have lots of time before then to think about it."

"And if I don't want to be with you?" I want to see his reaction.

Joey turns off the lights and drapes his arm over my core.

"That sucks for you. You can't get rid of me, Princess. We are getting married and going to the Olympics. Whichever comes first? Only time will tell."

I smile in contentment and drift into my slumber.

Awe this is the last chapter!!!

The next part is the epilogue you guys!

So I guess I should just do my little rant tomorrow 😗 😂

Warning ⚠️ about the next chapter I DO NOT SPEAK SPANISH!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.5K 2.4K 25
*Part 2 of Run* **Very slow updates** Book ONE AND A HALF of the "Disasters in Love" Series. If you loved "Run", continue reading the story of Ben a...
2.3K 69 9
As a black woman in New York, Celia feels as though she's constantly fighting white men who never see her. But then she comes across one who does. On...
333K 11K 87
BWWM** Seventeen year old aaliyah brown has the hands of an angel and has been gifted with a god given talent for bringing anything to life on a blan...
2.8K 124 20
I know I'm not beautiful and I'm okay with that. I'm not some princess frolicking in the woods waiting for some Prince Charming to save me. I am perf...