Epilogue

Epilogue

August 2024, Paris, France.

We are back again. Everyone has their eyes on me. As the current gold medalist, they want to see if I can do it again.

It's the event that will tell all. The finals of the 800 meters.

It's crazy. Three Canadians made it to the finals.

Alongside me, we have Nia and Katarina. For her first Olympics, she's done exceptionally well.

The camera shows each athlete in each lane.

When it gets to me, I do my new ritual. I press my lips to my left fist. Tap my chest twice and put up a 3.

Wherever my boyfriend is, I know he put up a four.

Joey won gold. Mari won silver. It's only right for me to place in the top three.

And I will get gold no matter how this last event goes.

I'm in lane four. I am focusing on me. No one else but me. I'm here to represent my country and have a good time.

I prepare my stance. And when the time comes, I run.

I think about how I've made it this far. I've trained nonstop. I have the support of all my family, who are in the stands watching me.

Joey has never given up on me.

Soon the runners fall in towards the first two lanes.

I'm currently in third. I'm going at a good pace.

My thoughts fuel me to go faster. I can chase Amarion. I still can't catch him, but I can skin his clothes. I've never thought I could change that much in three years.

When we hit the 600-metre point, I dash. I don't look at anyone else. I drown out the sounds of the audience, and I focus on the finish line.

I let out a victorious chant when I cross.

I barely feel tired. But I'm breathing erratically.

I turn back, and second place hasn't crossed the line yet.

I'm in shock.

My Russian competitor came in second, Katarina in third, and Nia in fourth.

I pull my competitors in a short embrace. Then move on to Katarina, who is sprawled on the track.

"You did it!" I shake her shoulders, and she nods out of breath.

All the heptathletes get on to the track awaiting the final results.

I yell out in accomplishment seeing my name at number one. New personal record. 7034 points. I can see the headlines now.

My name is now in the books.

My Russian competitor came second and Nia third.

I run to Nia, and we trap each other in our arms.

"Izzy, that was crazy! You were like 15 meters ahead of everyone! I was shocked you didn't break the Olympic record. You were off by .2 seconds."

I can't even comprehend that.

All of a sudden, someone from the crowd throws a Canada flag our way.

I catch it and drape it on my shoulders.

And the crowd gets louder. The section I'm in front of points at me, and I get confused.

I look at Nia.

She smiles and shakes her head at me. Nia places her hands on my shoulders, takes the flag, and turns me around.