Possessed - Bucky Barnes x OC

By dyspneagrime

Dark!James 'Bucky' Barnes/OC AU ~~~ Margaret Everlee is a terribly timid little thing. Living her life as a s... More

Introduction
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Epilogue

Part 51

162K 3K 10.3K
By dyspneagrime

The day of James' trial came in a flash.

Maggie hesitantly came around to the thought of testifying after her talk with Natasha, but she still didn't feel ready. There was no way she could be. Not only did she have to relive the most traumatic moment of her life, she would have to face that man that broke her heart. The man that shaped her world, then left it in ruins.

She leaned over her sink, attempting to cover up yet another sleepless night with some heavy concealer. Putting on a mask over her eminent heartbroken exterior. Hoping no one would be able to read what was so clear behind her eyes if she packed on just enough makeup.

It was her third time trying to do her mascara. Stubborn tears, sneaking their way out of her eyes each time, making her have to start over. She inhaled deep through her nose, letting out a puff of carbon dioxide through parted lips to soothe her nerves as she took one last look in the mirror.

She brushed down her pencil skirt, readjusting the white turtleneck under her nude longline coat. Trying to look the part of someone that had their shit together, despite being at the absolute lowest she had ever felt.

Maggie's phone buzzed beside her with a text from Natasha saying she was outside. She quickly shot back an affirmative response and set off to find her purse. Passing by the pile of suitcases she had refused to acknowledge, she left her apartment.

Natasha and Steve were waiting in his car out front. Planning to head to the trial together, hoping it would lessen Maggie's anxieties about the day ahead.

"Thanks for picking me up guys." She exhaled as she hopped into the back seat, buckling her self in as Steve took off.

"No problem, tiny." He sighed, keeping his eyes on the road as he drove.

The air was cold. Windows fogged from the heat of the car. Maggie reached over, drawing a little sad face in the condensation, staring at it for a moment, before quickly wiping it away with her sleeve.

Her head leaned back against her seat as she started to think over her points she had to remember when speaking. Foster had coached her through it, going into detail about verbiage to be mindful of when speaking to the judge. Reminding her to keep emotion out of her responses the best she could and speak objectively to keep her sounding credible to the jury.

Steve pulled into the visitor parking lot and the three of them trekked their way over to the courthouse. Walking under the towering stone arches, into the lobby. People in suits were rushing past them, making their way to whatever important thing came next in their days. All of them with determined expressions. In this sea of ambition and planning, contained broken little Maggie. Head slumped down, trying to keep her sanity as she marched towards the impending doom of the trial.

While Steve parted from the ladies to find Foster, Maggie and Natasha made their way to the back waiting room until it was time for Maggie to step onto the floor. It was sure to be quite the wait, so they settled in. Sitting on two of the cushy tweed chairs.

Several awkward minutes passed, before Natasha turned to look at Maggie. "Thank you for agreeing to do this. It means the world to Steve."

Maggie gave her a silent nod.

Natasha frowned. "How are you feeling?"

She took a moment to respond, not even sure herself. It wasn't a good feeling that was sunk in her chest, but she didn't know if there was a word for it. Anxiety, fear, heartache, anger, exhaustion, concern, so she settled for— "Bad."

Natasha gave her a sorrowful nod. Scanning over her expression, trying to figure out how she could possibly help someone in the state she was living in. "Well, as soon as you give your testimony, we can leave. We're not going to wait for Steve. We can just take a cab back to my place."

"That sounds good." Maggie paused, glancing up at Natasha with a nervousness that was overpowering any other emotion she was trying to convey. "I don't want to see James."

"You're not worried about seeing Loki or Rumlow? They'll be in there too right?"

She shrugged. "I don't want to see them either, but I know it's going to be hard to focus on anything, expect for James when I'm in there." She took a breath, twirling a lock of her hair around her finger. "I'm worried I'll cry and I'm not supposed to cry."

Natasha reached over, grabbing her hand. "If you feel like you're going to cry, just think of me. Imagine me punching James in the nuts." She joked, wiggling her brows.

A laugh slipped out of Maggie's pout, momentarily feeling better. "Okay, sounds like a plan."

The silence filled the room once more. Natasha lounged back in her seat, playing on her phone, swiping through social media and responding to a few emails about wedding plans.

The whole time Maggie, stared at the clock. An entire hour passed and her eyes barely wavered from the minute hand. Glaring at it as it danced its way around the circle of time.

She chewed her lip, tapping her foot. Chest tight with anticipation. Waiting for the dreaded call for her to join the courtroom.

Just as the minute hand made its way back around, the wooden door slowly swung open.

"Miss Everlee?" A lady called through the doorway, making Maggie's stomach sink. "It's time."

She gulped, standing from her seat. Peeking over at her shoulder to Natasha, she gave her a comforting smile and a thumbs up. "You got this, Mags. I'll see you in there."

Both sets of heels clicked down the tiled hallway as they made their way to the courtroom door. The lady pushed it open to a room filled with people, but it was dead silent. Every last piece of furniture was a richly stained walnut. From the paneled walls, to the benches. Clean cut lanterns loomed above, brightly lighting the room.

Maggie's eyes scanned over the group of people crowded into the spectator seats at the back of the room spotting Steve wearing a warm grin. Moving over to the jury box, everyone stared right back at her, judging her character already.

Both Loki and Rumlow were seated at the plaintiff's table, donning orange jumpsuits and handcuffs. Both of them giving her the most dangerous death stares they could muster.

Despite every set of eyes landing on her, one set hit her like a semi truck driving full speed. The ice blue eyes locked on her petite size. Unwavering. Framed by a couple stray strands of long, dark hair. The ones she knew so so well.

James watched her, stone cold expression locked in place as she was seated at the witness stand.

Maggie chewed her lip as she looked back over to him for a moment, before trying to rip her eyes away. She couldn't. It was like looking at the sun. It hurt so much, but she couldn't stop.

"Will the witness please stand to be sworn in by the bailiff." The judge called out, expectantly waiting for Maggie to stand.

She hesitated, slowly catching on that it was in reference to her. She got up from her seat, brushing down her skirt, as the bailiff approached her stand.

He stopped a foot away from her, with an air that was nonchalant, clearly having done this a hundred times before. "Please raise your right hand." She complied. "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"

"I do." She mustered out. Projecting her voice as much as she could before sitting back down in her wooden chair. She saw Natasha enter quietly from the back door, scooting through the benches to sit beside Steve.

The room was quiet with anticipation, waiting for the examination to begin.

Foster whispered something to James, before approaching the stand. He gave her a sharp nod before starting in on her questioning. "Miss Margaret Everlee, will you please tell the jury a bit about yourself?"

She stuttered out a breath, terrified of public speaking. An aspect she hadn't even considered until now. She gulped, licking her lips. "Um, I'm twenty-five. I live here in New York City, over in Greenwich Village."

Eyes flicking over to James, searching for a speck of comfort, but he gave her nothing. Simply meeting her anxious stare with a frigid exterior. Realizing what she was doing, getting pissed at herself, she ripped her gaze away, hardening it. "I'm an artist and I own my own gallery."

"Could you please tell the court how you are connected to this case?"

"I was attacked and kidnapped from my apartment by them." She nodded her head nervously over to Loki and Rumlow, not looking their way.

"Can you please specify the names of those individuals?"

She chewed her lip. "Brock Rumlow and Loki Laufeyson. They're the ones that took me." She met their leers, both of them giving her vicious scowls.

"Thank you. Now, would you please clarify the nature of your relationship with the defendant— Mr. James Barnes."

Maggie's eyes widened. Hands shaking in her lap, tucking them between her legs to keep them still. "He w— he was my boyfriend." She stammered, keeping her gaze off of James.

"How long had you been together before the attack?"

She thought for a moment, trying to count the months in her head. "About nine months."

"And did Mr. James Barnes ever verbally express any kind of genuine intent to harm either Mr. Laufeyson or Mr. Rumlow?"

"No."

Foster paced across the floor, thinking over his next question. "Could you explain how you were first acquainted with Mr. Laufeyson and Mr. Rumlow?"

Maggie kept her stare on Foster, not wanting to even look at them. "I had never met Rumlow before he first tried to kidnap me. He attacked me on the street while I was on a coffee break and I was able to break away thanks to a few brave pedestrians helping me."

The court was already well aware of this event, having discussed it in detail before Maggie entered the room.

She took breath. "I met Loki at James' office building. I was being commissioned for a few paintings by James and when I was leaving one day, we bumped shoulders."

"What was the nature of your relationship with him?"

Her brows twisted, not even sure herself. "We had gone on a couple dates. Lunch, coffee, etcetera." Etcetera being the night he took her to the club, not wanting to recall that memory.

"It was all before I started seeing James, but nothing ever came from it." She added.

She couldn't help, but notice how James shifted in his seat out of the corner of her eye, catching her attention. Seeing his jaw tick from across the room at the mention of her time with Loki.

Foster nodded, processing the information. "Could you please tell the court what occurred on the night of December twenty-seventh?"

She swallowed a wad of cottoned saliva, pondering her wording carefully. Taking a breath to calm her nerves. "After I had gone shopping with some friends, I was dropped at my apartment by my driver. I was waiting for James to arrive when my apartment was broken into by Brock Rumlow. He attacked me and I tried to fight back, but Loki shortly followed and shot me with some kind of tranquilizer dart." She paused, composing herself. Blinking away the tears that crept up on her.

"When I woke up, I was tied to a chair in some kind of abandoned warehouse. Rumlow beat me and cut my cheek with a knife."

"How long were you there before James showed up at the warehouse?"

Thinking to herself for a moment. "I'm not sure how long I was unconscious, but from the time I woke up to when he got there, it was probably ten or fifteen minutes."

"Could you tell me what happened after James arrived at the warehouse?"

"My two kidnappers— Loki and Rumlow both pulled out guns. Loki aimed his at my head, while Rumlow aimed at James." She felt her neck get hot under her thick hair, getting ready to lie under oath.

A feat she knew was terribly illegal, but she also knew if she even mentioned Hydra, she'd be dead. They all did. James, Rumlow, and Loki. None of them would utter a word about their presence that night.

"James shot at Rumlow, making him drop his weapon. Loki was also shot, but as he fell to the floor, he shot me in the shoulder. Next thing I knew, the cops and paramedics rushed in and I was taken to an ambulance."

"Do you believe Mr. Laufeyson had been attempting to kill you with that shot?"

The plaintiff stood from his seat. "Objection. That's speculation, your honor."

"Sustained."

Foster sighed, stepping forward again. Rewording his intentions. "Did Mr. Laufeyson and Mr. Rumlow both express intent to kill you?"

"Yes. They said they were going to kill me, while James watched, and then kill him."

The group of spectators starting murmuring amongst themselves, filling the room in a loud hum of interested conversation. Washing over the space like a wave of chatter.

"Order, order." The judge called, banging the gavel loudly, silencing them.

"Did they express a premeditated plan of action to you?"

She nodded. "Yes. They admitted to following us and waiting for a time to get me alone."

Foster took a breath, tucking his hands behind his back. "Do you believe they would have killed you, if James had not stopped them?"

"Yes." She replied quickly. "James saved my life." Her loveless eyes slid over to him, brows knit. Finding him wearing a slightly softened expression, before snapping it back on his cold mask and averting his eyes, as she followed suit.

Foster walked back over to his table, flipping through his notes briefly before stepping back before approaching the Judge's bench. "That concludes my examination of Miss Margaret Everlee."

The judge adjusted some of the paperwork on her desk, sliding it to the side. "If the plaintiff would like to cross-examine the witness, you may now do so."

Maggie frowned in shock. Foster had mentioned this, but it had slipped her mind. She knew she was in for a bout of tough questions. Foster was there to help her, where as this lawyer wanted her skinned alive.

He approached her stand, eyeing her with the start of a smirk. Picking up on the slight redness of her eyes. "How are you doing today, Miss Everlee?"

The question confused her. "I'm fine."

He gave a single nod. "Would care to explain to the court why you referred to your relationship with Mr. James Barnes in the past tense?"

Her brows pinched, looking over to Foster for help. "W— what?"

"Would you like me to repeat the question?"

"No, no." She shook her head, in response to him, but also out of shock. "Um, we aren't together anymore."

He hummed as he walked in a tight circle, towards the jury. "Tell me, had Mr. Barnes ever been violent with you?"

Maggie peeked over to James, to find him seething. She could practically see the steam rolling off of him. His eyes went a shade darker. Staring down the attorney. Bulky, tattooed fists clenched on the table. Cuffs tightening around his wrists.

"No, never."

He stepped up closer to her, looking at her intently. "Did he ever raise his voice? Threaten you?"

"Objection." Foster stood. "Questions are irrelevant to the case."

"Overruled." The judge called back.

The attorney stared intently at Maggie, waiting for her response.

"No, he was always good to me." It pained her to admit that he really had been an incredible boyfriend, up until he ended things.

He paced back over towards the jury, talking to Maggie from over his shoulder. "Are you aware of Mr. Barnes' past criminal record?"

"Yes." She responded shortly, she herself now getting angry with him.

"Would you like to share with the courtroom what you know?"

Maggie looked down to her lap. "He was a convicted murderer."

"And would you say, he has the usual traits of a murderer?"

"I don't understand." She said, frowning.

He sighed. "I'll rephrase the question. Is Mr. Barnes an overly violent person?"

She didn't respond immediately. Knowing this question was intended to be damaging to James. He was trying to make him out to be a dangerous sociopath that used unnecessary force to take down Loki and Rumlow.

"Only when he needs to be." She stated clearly. "I believe the force he used to save me from your clients was necessary. If anything, it was less than most people would've used. He showed self-restraint and growth by shooting them where he did."

Her voice held conviction. Keeping her words strong. Leveling with him, making it clear she saw right through his attempts. "He easily could've killed both of them, but he didn't. He showed them mercy when they deserved none."

The attorney was taken aback by her self-assured response.

"I was bound, beaten, and cut by those men." She pointed a finger at Loki and Rumlow. "I walked away from that night with a cracked rib, a dislocated jaw, and a bullet wound. Your clients were the ones that were violent. They had been planning to commit double homicide after a long bout of stalking and then a brutal kidnapping. I think a simple shot to the knees was the least he could do to save me." She glared at him, making him eat his words.

He swallowed, giving a rushed nod. "That concludes my cross examination, your honor."

The bailiff approached Maggie, helping her down from the stand and walking her to the side door. She gave one last look James' way as she strode across the wooden hardwood floor. Giving him a piercing scowl.

His head was strained down, watching her with a fixed stare, staying locked until the very last second.

~

"I'm so proud of you, Mags." Natasha gushed, rushing up to her from down the hallway and wrapping her in a big hug.

Maggie could feel her heartbeat in her skull. Adrenaline still coursing through her veins from her outburst at the cross-examination. She ran her fingers through her hair, in a state of disbelief. "I can't believe I said all of that, Nat."

"It was fucking badass. You put that asshole right in his place."

"Well, he was trying to paint James as this violent monster." She wiped her clammy hands down her skirt. "As angry as I am with him, he's not that guy anymore. I saw it the night at the warehouse. I thought he was going to kill them, but he didn't."

Natasha smiled proudly down at her. "Well, it's all over now. Let's go back to my place and we can relax while we wait for the verdict."

"Okay." Maggie huffed, as Natasha wrapped an arm over her shoulders. Walking down the hall together.

They stepped out onto the sidewalk, waiting patiently for a cab to pass by. Maggie couldn't think about anything, but James. The way his face expressed sparse bits of emotion every time their eyes locked. Knowing him well enough to see the reaction behind his eyes as he stared back at her, but she had no idea what it was. All she knew was that it was intense.

Natasha hailed a cab and it slowly swerved over to the curb. Hopping in each side, she barked out her address and the car took off.

The drive was short. They probably could've walked, but the weather was still a bit too frigid for that.

Making their way up a hundred feet in the air to their penthouse, Maggie was thankful for the warmth of the heater. She stripped from her bulky coat and plopped down onto the huge couch in their recessed living area.

Natasha brushed by her, extending a glass of a clear liquid. Maggie took it, giving it a sniff and instantly cringing at the harsh alcoholic burn in her nostrils. Tequila. "Nat, I don't want this." She objected.

"Yes you do." She countered. "Drink up, babe."

"Do you have wine or something instead?"

Natasha gave her a warning look, making her clamp her mouth shut. She lifted the glass to her lips, downing it in one go. Shaking her head in a cringe as she slid the empty tumbler onto the coffee table.

The two of them sat there for a long time. Mostly in silence.

As much as Maggie didn't want to admit it, the drink did help calm her. Burning liquor in her belly, pushing away her nerves.

Just as the silence started to weigh heavy, the front door swung open. Maggie twisted in her seat, to face Steve walking in.

"What happened, babe?" Natasha called over, just as eager as Maggie was to hear the verdict.

Steve chuckled. "Can I have a minute? I just walked in the door."

He shed off his long coat, hanging it up on the hook. Taking his time, moving to the couch, undoing his tie as he walked over. Sitting down beside Natasha, he landed a kiss on her cheek. "Okay," he sighed, "so, the jury landed on a verdict a lot quicker than anticipated."

Maggie leaned forward, listening in.

"James was sentenced to ninety days in prison. It's not quite ideal, but it's a whole lot better than the ten years he was facing." He said in a serious tone, following it with a forced smile.

"Oh, thank god." Natasha groaned, relaxing back in her seat.

Maggie felt a wave of relief wash over her, releasing the breath she didn't realize she was holding. "So three months?"

"Yes. I'm hoping he can refrain from his usual antics when he's in prison and maybe he can get out even sooner, but only time will tell. " He said anxiously.

Glancing back up at Maggie, his expression changed. "Maggie, I need to express how profound your testimony was. Your words were the absolute deciding factor for the jury. I'm sure of it." His voice was genuine, making it clear just how strongly he felt.

"Well, I couldn't just let the other attorney paint James as the villain. He saved me and spared both Loki and Rumlow their lives."

Steve nodded. "That factor did speak volumes to the court. I'm sure James is incredibly thankful for your candor today along with your discretion about Hydra." His voice had an edge at the mention of the organization. "I apologize you had to withhold information like that."

"I understand why I had to, Steve. It would do more harm than good to bring them into this."

"Still, it meant a lot." He smiled.

Natasha tilted her head to look at him. "Wait, what happened to Loki and Rumlow?"

"Right," Steve started, "they've both been given life sentences. They're in a world of hurt considering the substantial amount of charges against them. Along with everything they did to you, Foster dug up some more dirt on them. Rumlow obviously has all of his crimes from his time with Hydra, but it turns out, Loki had been committing quite a bit of fraud in his company before James took it over."

Maggie's eyes widened. "Wow. So, they're both going to be in prison until they die?"

"More or less. Things can happen... I mean, I saw it firsthand with James but, I doubt you'll have to worry about them ever again."

~

A/N: I'm well aware there should've been two separate trials for James' assault of the men and then Maggie's case over her kidnapping, but when I wrote it all out it felt disgustingly long. So, let's just pretend it can be settled in one trial. It's fiction, so just play pretend for me okay? Hahaha

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

260K 7.8K 31
𝐑𝐞𝐝 𝐑𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐬 || ❝𝙱𝚞𝚝 𝚠𝚑𝚢 𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚛𝚘𝚜𝚎𝚜?❞ ❝ 𝚁𝚎𝚍 𝚛𝚘𝚜𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚖𝚘𝚜𝚝 𝚞𝚗𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚊𝚕 𝚜𝚢𝚖𝚋𝚘𝚕𝚜 𝚘𝚏...
10.3K 210 23
After Tony and the rest of the avengers had found you laying in a forest with barely any memories of your previous life, you became an avenger yourse...
381K 12.5K 80
A Modern Bucky Barnes x OC Story **SMUTS** TW - Lots of BDSM. Sexual content. Sex Work. Death. Violence. You worked for Mr Barnes as his secretary...
1.5M 32.3K 88
A/N: first few chapters are a bit 'cringy' with spelling errors (I write this on my phone) but if you can get past those two things, I PROMISE the st...