Possessed - Bucky Barnes x OC

By dyspneagrime

Dark!James 'Bucky' Barnes/OC AU ~~~ Margaret Everlee is a terribly timid little thing. Living her life as a s... More

Introduction
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Epilogue

Part 45

211K 3.2K 11.9K
By dyspneagrime

James took one last sip from his tumbler of scotch as he rose from his seat. Amber liquid and ice clinking as he set it down. He reached over shaking the hands of his associates, as they thanked him and Steve for their time.

He had spent the last couple hours discussing a vast conglomerate of business opportunities with some of his newer international investees. He had been poking and prodding to an almost exhausting level. As much as he kept his front stoic, his mind was racing a hundred miles a minute. Analyzing choice of words and calculating intentions. Doing what he did best.

Walking out onto the snow covered sidewalk, illuminated by the street lamps and lightly clouded moon. He gave one last nod to his associates as they climbed into a cab and took off. A puff of fog shooting from the tailpipe of the yellow car.

"What do you think, Bucky?" Steve asked, turning to glance at James.

He hummed. "It seems to be promising. They seem to be running a tight ship."

"Agreed. I'll shoot through the paperwork tomorrow."

"Thanks, pal." James spun on his heel, crushing the snow under his leather Santonis, and striding over to his Aston Martin. "Have a good night." He called back before slipping inside.

He turned his car on, engine roaring to life. Blasting the heat to warm himself from the subzero night air. As he pulled away from the curb, he dug out his phone, calling Maggie.

It went to voicemail after two rings.

He frowned, staring down at the screen, he tried again.

Again, it went to voicemail.

Panic started to seep into his chest, breathing picking up, as he squeezed the steering wheel tighter in his left hand. Knuckles cracking from the sheer force of his grip.

Trying one last time, it was picked up and a wave of relief washed over him.

"Doll? You okay?"

"Sorry, Barnes. She can't come to the phone right now."

The line cut off. Realizing exactly who was on the other side of the call.

~ Four hours earlier ~

Maggie was in a chipper mood.

She had spent the whole day working diligently at her gallery. Inputting new client information into the system, reaching out to a few artists, and even making time to help with customers in the lobby.

It had been a long day for her, so she eager to leave, to say the least. It was the day of Natasha's long awaited wedding dress shopping trip. She had been working with a stylist at Kleinfeld, emailing back and forth about different cuts and designers.

Natasha had invited Maggie and Wanda along to help her decide between the few she had selected.

The moment Maggie filed the last of her paperwork, she bundled up in her fluffy fur coat. Wrapping it over her little black dress. Rushing out of her office, she called over a couple of brief goodbye's to her staff and hurried out into the snowfall, just as Harrison was opening the backseat door for her.

The black SUV sped across the city, dropping her off at the taupe stone building. Yanking open the heavy glass, doors, stepping into the lobby. Marching over the rich Persian rug to the front desk with a smile. "Hi, um I'm looking for Natasha Romanoff."

"Mags." Natasha called out from one of the couches over to her right.

Maggie twisted around to find her and Wanda sitting patiently in the waiting area. Rushing over, she threw her arms around Natasha, giving her a huge hug. "I'm so sorry I'm late. Today was a little hectic for me at the gallery." She explained.

Natasha stepped back, plopping back down on the couch. "No worries, babe. You didn't miss anything yet."

Maggie bent down, giving Wanda a kiss on the cheek. "How are you feeling, Wands?"

"Too pregnant to function." She teased, rubbing her round belly.

She had started to show so much more just in the last month. Maggie knew along with that, came a tidal wave of horrific symptoms, so she gave her a sympathetic smile. "Well, you look beautiful."

"I know, I know. I'm 'glowing' right?" She grumbled. Sick of all of the overindulgent fake compliments she was showered with by everyone she knew.

Maggie laughed and sat down in the open spot beside them. "What are we waiting for?" She asked leaning over to peek through the doorway of the salon.

"They're prepping a private room for us." Natasha glanced down at her watch. "Apparently the appointment before ran a little long, so I'm guessing they're cleaning up." She surmised.

Maggie hummed to herself, sitting back in her seat and taking in the room. There were other bridal parties crowded around, chatting eagerly about various wedding plans or desired dress. styles. Clucking hens.

"Natasha Romanoff?" The stylist approached them, confirming.

Natasha stood from her seat, smiling. "Yes, that's me."

"Perfect. I'm Cecilia." She said warmly, shaking Natasha's hand. "Please, follow me."

She led them through the salon, as Maggie spun in circles, overwhelmed by the selection of dresses. Not another boutique could compare. Walls of white gowns, tucked neatly into the cabinetry. The double height ceilings making the room just that much more impressive. Wide pillars and spotlights giving it a luxurious feel. Various groups were nestled on lounges, watching their brides model dress options.

Making their way towards the back, through an arched doorway to the private room prepared specifically for them. There was a long navy velvet couch, resting in front of a mirror hemmed platform.

Maggie and Wanda found their seats, getting comfortable for what they figured would be quite the process, while Natasha was taken to the dressing room.

Champagne was promptly served. Maggie glanced over at Wanda, feeling guilty to be drinking in front of her, but she waved her hand silently brushing off her worries. Accepting the flute, she happily took a sip. "I can't wait to see what she picked out." Maggie chirped.

Wanda nodded. "She said she wanted something sexy and glamorous, so I'm sure we're in for a treat."

"Would you expect anything less?" Maggie quipped, crossing her legs, resting back on the couch.

Maggie did double take as Natasha stepped out of the dressing room. Grinning widely at her as she walked over and stood up on the platform in front of the wall of mirrors. "What do we think?" She posed, looking at her friends though the reflection.

The fitted crepe gown had a plunging V-neckline. Her breasts were on full display, while the embellished crystal belt hugged her hourglass figure perfectly.

"It sure it sexy." Wanda teased.

Maggie hummed in agreement. "It's sexy, no doubt, but do you want that much boob showing in front of your family?"

Natasha tilted her head, turning in front of the mirror with an uneasy expression.

"We could lift the neckline a bit if you'd like." Cecilia suggested, walking over to make the adjustment. Pinning the fabric together to bring it up an inch.

Spinning around to face the girls, Natasha gave them a questioning look. "Better?"

"It looks nice, Nat." Maggie smiled.

She let out a dissatisfied grunt. "I don't want to look nice on my wedding day. I need to look devastating." She put her hands on her hips, pouting a little as she turned to look at Cecilia. "Can I try on the next one?"

Natasha tried on about ten more gowns. Honestly, Maggie lost count of how many she saw. All of them received indifferent responses. They were all more than beautiful, sure, but none of them got the reaction Natasha wanted. She wanted an explosion of excitement, not the meek shrugs they were giving her.

She strode out of the fitting room, in one that made her feel some kind of way she never had before— like a real bride. Her steps were slow and meaningful, anxiously waiting for the responses of her friends. Maggie and Wanda both sat speechless, jaws dropped.

Taking her place back on the stand, she kicked out the skirt, spreading it around herself, and running her hands down the sides.

It was a strapless, satin mermaid gown. The cat-eye cups giving an elegant décolletage. Mirrored crystal appliqué ran down the sides, defining her shapely hips. "Well?" She popped an eyebrow, eyeing them.

Maggie shook her head as a single tear rolled down her cheek. "Nat..." she breezed, "that's the one."

"I agree." Wanda said, completely stunned. "It's perfect."

She beamed back at them, scrunching her nose through a giddy smile. "Really?"

"Yes, oh my god. It's gorgeous. Steve is going to lose his mind." Maggie said, standing from her seat, walking over. Natasha bent at the waist to accommodate for Maggie's tiny height and the tall platform she was standing on, wrapping her arm around her.

She sighed, pulling back up and looking in the mirror. "Okay." She nodded at Cecilia. "This is the one."

"Excellent." She clapped her hands. "I can get a tailor to meet us in the dressing room and we can make some minor adjustments for you, as needed."

Once the fitting was completed, the three of them made their way back up to the lobby to process Natasha's payment— er Steve's payment. Twenty-two thousand dollars later, they walked out to the sidewalk. The sun had set. Earlier than usual, with the recent winter solstice. Snow flaked down from the sky, slowly. Fogged breath shot out from their lips.

"I can't wait to see you all decked out in your veil and makeup, Nat. You'll be such a beautiful bride." Wanda sniffled, wrapping her arm around her.

Natasha chuckled. "Okay, preggers. Calm down." Rubbing over her back.

Maggie snickered, peeking over her shoulder to check where Harrison was parked. Giving a second look when she saw a shady figure quickly duck behind the corner of a building. More than accustomed to the antics of wacky New Yorkers, she shook her head, turning back over to Natasha. "Thank you for inviting us."

"No, thank you for coming." She argued, smiling back at them. "Wanda, do you have a ride home?"

"I was just going to take a cab." She shrugged.

Maggie shook her head. "Don't worry about it. My driver Harrison can stop by your place."

"God, you two are spoiled now." She scolded, snickering to herself.

Natasha gave each of them a hug and thanked them again for coming.

They trekked down the sidewalk over to the black SUV. Snow swirled in the breeze, stinging the sides of their faces, making them walk a smidge faster.

Once they were in the heated interior of the car, they both started laughing, huffing warm air onto their frozen hands. "Wow, it's cold tonight." Maggie said through chattering teeth.

"No kidding."

They took off, rolling slowly through the city. Weaving through the minimal traffic over to Wanda's. When they pulled up to her house, she thanked Maggie and Harrison, then trudged up to her front door.

The car swerved back into motion and Maggie dug her phone out of her purse. She lifted it to her ear, waiting for an answer. Nearly going to voicemail before it was picked up.

"Hey, doll. Sorry, I had to step away from the table. Is everything okay?"

"Oh shoot, sorry I didn't realize you were still at the restaurant. I was just going to let you know I'm on my way to your place. Should I wait at my apartment until you're done?"

"No apologies, sweetheart. But yeah, why don't you head back to yours and I'll give you a call when I'm on my way."

She smiled. "Okay. Love you."

"I love you too."

Tucking her phone back into her purse, she leaned forward, asking Harrison to take her home instead.

He made a few turns, changing course, as her head rested against the window, looking out at the city. She adored the snow. Especially in New York. It made it feel so different. Like she was in a movie. Growing up in San Francisco, she had never even seen snow until she moved for Pratt.

The novelty wore off a bit over time, but it still secretly made her giddy.

She hopped out of the car, in front of her apartment. Thanking Harrison like she had a hundred times before. She walked carefully over the icy front steps, holding the rail. Opening the door with a shivering hand, she practically dove into the warmth.

Rubbing over her arms to create friction, trying to heat up her ice cold limbs as she climbed up the stairwell. Heels clicking over the creaky wood she walked.

The second she got into her apartment, she leaned up against the door, letting out a big yawn. She set down her purse and walked to the kitchen to make herself some tea.

She filled a kettle and set it down on her stove, waiting for it to boil. Spacing out as she stood in front of it. So tired, she was literally watching water boil.

The soft click of her front door ripped her from her haze, she frowned in confusion. "James?"

There were a few thuds of heavy footsteps, then cut off by the loud screech of the kettle. She reached forward, turning off the gas and the whistling fell to silence. The footsteps stopped in the doorway as she filled a mug with steamy water.

"That was fast. I thought you wouldn't be done for—" She cut herself off as she peeked over her shoulder, eyes bugging out at what she saw. Or who she saw.

Brock Rumlow.

He smiled wide at her terrified expression. "Hey, Maggie."

She stood rooted at the spot. Petrified. Unable to will her lips to move.

"Miss me?"

The blood in her veins ran cold. Tears stung her eyes as she stuttered out a breath.

"I'll take that as a yes." He smirked, taking a step towards her. "Ya know, this is nice. Having no one around. Just me and you, baby."

Blinking away tears, she found her voice. "James will be here soon."

"Then we better make this quick."

He lunged forward, wrapping his arms around her, trapping her body to his. He lifted her off the ground.

Panicked, but James' words filled her mind.

'First step is to be brave enough to fight back.'

She writhed in his grasp, grunting as she used all of her strength to fight Rumlow off. He carried her out to her living room, struggling to contain her.

She slammed her head back, knocking him right in the nose. He groaned, dropping her. She fell hard to the ground, crawling away to the door. His hand came down and gripped her ankle, dragging her body back to him.

He ripped her off the floor to her feet, wrapping her in a choke hold. A small sliver of knowledge popped into her head. She twisted, dipping out of his hold, and shoving him back. Hard. As hard as she possibly could. He toppled over her coffee table, falling to the floor.

"Fucking bitch." He spat.

Again, she tried to run for the door, but Rumlow shot up to his feet, diving across the room and falling down on top of her. His heavy weight knocking the wind out of her, but the adrenaline she felt kept her from giving up.

She slapped him across the face as a last ditch effort to stop him. It did nothing. He simply chuckled at her weak attempt. Staring down at her with blood dripping from his nose, falling onto her cheek.

"I see your man's rubbing off on you." He grinned. "He's taught you a few things, huh?"

Reaching up he held her hands above her head, pinning her to the ground.

"Too bad he'll be dead soon."

Maggie's face twisted into an angry, shocked expression. She sucked a wad of saliva between her teeth, spitting up onto his face. He jerked back, smile fading into a death stare. Releasing her hands, he sat back on his knees, wiping his face clean. Smearing blood and spit across his cheek.

She stared up at him in fear. Realizing too late how badly she had fucked up. He raised his fist to strike, but the front door busted open. A bright stream of light beaming in from the building's hallway.

Maggie's head tilted back. Peeking at the door upside down. A backlit, shadowed figure stood in the doorway. The man lifted a gun, shooting at her. She flinched, expecting searing pain, but was met with just a slight sting in her shoulder.

Eyes raking down to where she was shot, a small dart was sunk deep into her skin.

Her body fell limp as her eyes creaked shut.

And her world went dark.

~

James sped up to the curb in front of Maggie's apartment. Practically shattering the window of the driver side door with how hard he slammed it shut.

He rushed across the sidewalk, tearing into the building. Taking on the stairs three at a time with his bounding, long strides. When he got to her floor, he sprinted down the hall.

Her door was unlocked.

Shoving inside, it was dark. All the lights were off. The coffee table was flipped on its side. There were a few drops of blood on the floor, leading towards the door from further back into the living room. His stomach twisted with stress.

He pulled out his phone, calling Steve.

"Hey, Bucky. What's going on?"

"It's Margaret. They took her. Rumlow fucking took her."

The line went quiet for a moment, as Steve sat in shock. "Where did they take her?"

"I don't know." He spat. "If I knew, I wouldn't be calling you. I'd be going after her."

Steve sighed. "Right. I'll call the police and we can figure this out."

"No. Don't call the fucking pigs. Not until I know what's going on."

"Then what do we do?"

James considered for a moment, knowing exactly what he had to do. Although it went against every instinct he had, he knew what had to happen. "I— I think I have a plan."

A soft beep came through the phone. He pulled it away from his ear, staring down at it. Maggie's contact was lit up over the screen.

"Steve, I'll call you back." He ended the call before he could respond, switching to the incoming, lifting the phone back to his ear.

"Where the fuck are you, Rumlow?"

"Old warehouse. Staten Island. See you in twenty or your girl dies."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.2K 1.2K 44
❝ what, you can't handle the ideological aspect of sex? get over yourself, I know you want to f- ❞ ❝ lila. ❞ ❝ -uck me? ❞ γ€Œ"if you love someone or s...
466K 11.1K 137
An AU where Civil War never happens, and people are friendly with each other. This is just Winterwidow fluff and smuff. Lot's of angst, but mostly fl...
10.4K 210 23
After Tony and the rest of the avengers had found you laying in a forest with barely any memories of your previous life, you became an avenger yourse...
3.9K 144 13
Dangerous, mob leader James "Bucky" Barnes is the life of the party. In fact, he is the party, and he damn well knows it. Intent on living out his ba...