Mᴀɴᴍᴀʀᴢɪʏᴀᴀɴ | #RoadTripSerie...

By kavyamehta12

❝Because greatest part of road trip isn't arriving at your destination. It's all the wild stuff that happened... More

i n t r o d u c t i o n
c h a p t e r - o n e
c h a p t e r - t w o
c h a p t e r - t h r e e
c h a p t e r - f o u r
c h a p t e r - f i v e
c h a p t e r - s i x
c h a p t e r - s e v e n
c h a p t e r - e i g h t
c h a p t e r - n i n e
c h a p t e r - t e n
c h a p t e r - e l e v e n
c h a p t e r - t w e l v e
c h a p t e r - t h i r t e e n
c h a p t e r - f o u r t e e n
c h a p t e r - f i f t e e n
c h a p t e r - s i x t e e n
c h a p t e r - s e v e n t e e n
c h a p t e r - e i g h t e e n
c h a p t e r - n i n e t e e n
c h a p t e r - t w e n t y
c h a p t e r - t w e n t y o n e
c h a p t e r - t w e n t y t w o
c h a p t e r - t w e n t y t h r e e
c h a p t e r - t w e n t y f o u r
c h a p t e r - t w e n t y f i ve
c h a p t e r - t w e n t y s i x
c h a p t e r - t w e n t y s e v e n
c h a p t e r - t w e n t y n i ne
c h a p t e r - t h i r t y
e p i l o g u e
e x t e n d e d e p i l o g u e

c h a p t e r - t w e n t y e i g h t

238 28 13
By kavyamehta12

Place - Pune

Aayrah got off the bike after Shivansh parked it at the base of Sinhagad fort. She removed her scarf and looked up to the top at the orange flag standing proudly. She smiled coming here while feeling the coldness in the air as she moved her gaze at the small vendors around who were asking them to eat something at their small stalls before they go up at the fort. Chirag and Ahana followed them after parking their bike.

They sipped Chai's at an old lady's stall before starting the journey towards the fort. She smiled at them and took a promise that they will eat at least a plate of kanda bhaji, which is the Marathi name for onion pakora, when they come down again. Aayrah being the sweetest agreed readily and made everyone promise the same to her. The old lady smiled through her wrinkled face happily. Aayrah adjusted her stuff in Shivansh's backpack already when he went to pick her up along with Chirag in the early morning. To his surprise, the girl was already ready at 7 in the morning. Chirag had a lot of things to take care of as he had a flight in the next 2 days but he wanted to enjoy with the other three before taking off to not see them for a couple of years at least. Shivansh again took the sick leave so he could be with Chirag.

The squad hopped the rough stairs up to the fort. Singhagad Fort belongs to the mighty Bhuleshwar range which is 3900 feet above sea-levels. Pune, being the cultural capital of Maharashtra has a variety of ancient monuments which have places of historical importance, temples and ancient building which hold important artifacts from the past. It proudly tells the history and bravery of the Marathas & Peshwas.

Sinhgad being one of those forts which are roaring the bravery of Marathas even today. Earlier known as Kondhana Fort, Sinhgad Fort is located amidst the Sahyadri Mountains. The name Sinhagad symbolizes the strength and brilliance it beholds. The most famous battle on Sinhgad was fought by Tanaji Malusare, general of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj of the Maratha Empire in order to recapture the fort on March 1670. There is an anecdote that upon hearing of Tanaji's death, Shivaji expressed his remorse with the words, 'Gad aala, pan Sinha gela' translated as 'The Fort is conquered, but the Lion was lost'.  And that's how Kondhana Fort became Sinhgad, The Lion Fort.

Aayrah along with Shivansh, Chirag, and Ahana walked through the shops selling local eatables. The rush to the fort was still high and it wasn't even 8 o'clock yet. It was a weekend and this fort has been Punekar's weekend getaway for years. The squad thought of walking to the end of the fort and roam around in nature a bit before having their famous Matka Dahi and Zunka Bhakar along with Thecha.

Sinhgad has two colossal gates, Pune Darwazaa which faces the north-east, and Kalyan Darwaza in the southeast. The top of the Fort encompasses few historical monuments like the tomb of Rajaram, Tanaji memorial, and Kali Mata temple with gates. Ahana and Aayrah, especially Aayrah hadn't been here in years. The last time she remembered was in school so that was long and she remembered this surrounding just roughly. They took a stroll visiting all the main places and while remembering the memories of being here in their early days. Though Shivansh and Chirag used to visit here often when they were in college but lately, the job took most of their time away and some other faraway places took the place for their weekend gateways. Now as they are here again, they realized how much they missed this fort.

They reached the very end of the fort which was Kalyan Darwaaja which means Kalyan Door. Ahana got seated on one of the stairs while Chirag took a seat beside. Aayrah just followed till the very end and climbed the buruj or tower. The rainy season might have been over a month back but there were still frequent visits made by those dark clouds to shower on this historical city. The recent rains made sure to spread greenery around and thus, the view was beautiful from the top. The lush greenery was spread everywhere in the surroundings as the Sahyadri ranges smiled back at them. Today was no different as well with dark clouds still up in the sky while hiding the sun and its warmness. It might be raining at any moment. The cold breeze was rushing past them as they all just stared at the stunning surrounding and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

Ahana rubbed her arms feeling the coldness even when she had a long-sleeved sweatshirt on. She looked at Chirag to the side who was just blankly staring ahead of them.

"Nervous?" She asked grabbing his attention. Chirag moved his gaze to meet her and thought for sometime before nodding.

"Hmm... A little," he said truthfully for the first time. He didn't feel like hiding it from her. There was no need basically. Ahana chuckled and looked at the front while her few strands which came out of the messy bun played with the wind.

"It's understandable as everything will be new. It's like you have to start all over again," she said. Chirag nodded again.

"I'm going to miss this. Being with my people," Chirag said with a sigh. Ahana raised her eyebrows and looked at him.

"Don't worry. Who knows you might enjoy more being there?" she said with a smile while poking his arm. Chirag let out a laugh as he shook his head.

"No ways. Shivansh, his family, my friends, and.." he said and stopped briefly before speaking again.

"Fighting daily with my family and brother. I will be missing all of this, Yaar," he said while chuckling. Ahana smiled back hearing him.

"It's like everything is going away and I am not able to hold it," Chirag said feeling a slight pain with the thought of leaving in the next two days.

"Nothing is going away and no one is going anywhere. It's just in your head. You are just anxious," Ahana said as she smiled assuringly at him. 

"Maybe," he said with a nod.

"So it's at peace? With your family?" Ahana asked with a little reluctance. Chirag shook his head.

"Nope. I still get irritated but I have been trying to understand their point of view. I guess I'm getting them and I'm trying to mend with my parents at least," he said. Ahana smiled feeling relieved. She was genuinely happy to see the change in him. The Chirag she was seeing now had some depth in him unlike the carefree flirty she was used to seeing. But she liked this new change.

"I don't think I can ever with my brother. Anyway, he is getting married soon and will move out as his wife needs her space," Chirag said again and chuckled.

"And you will be going away from them too," she said. Chirag nodded.

"I know and that's what is holding me back more than anything," he said, "I.."

"I know I have had differences with them but I love them and I care for them," he said truthfully and sighed before speaking again, "I could see the sadness when he said he will be moving out once he gets married but they didn't let it show. I could sense their sadness when I said I will be moving to the US but they just smiled." He moved his gaze to her as she listened to him silently.

"That's how parents are. They hide their sorrows for our sake," she said with a smile. Chirag smiled as he nodded and moved his gaze further.

"I don't know about rest, Ahana but I will be coming back for them. Just two years and then I will be back here," he said meaning the words he spoke.

"I am glad that you realized," Ahana said with a genuine smile.

"I'm glad too and thank you. Truly," Chirag said with a smile and nodded. Ahana frowned hearing her.

"How many times more are you going to say this, Chirag?" she asked. Chirag chuckled.

"I don't know but I just feel like. I wish I could return it in some way," he said. Ahana chuckled and sighed before speaking again.

"You have taught me enough. I have learned to live my life without feeling that burden," she said letting that small smile lingered on her face, "I enjoyed with you and I have smiled the widest. Today, I have no regrets, I don't feel burdened with expectations. I'm looking out for new opportunities and I'm just happy."

"I'm not that same old Ahana who was sad and suffocated under the expectations," she said feeling content with her life now, feeling happy with everything that once made her feel frustrated.

"So don't worry about anything," she said and looked back at Chirag who had his gaze on her till now. He smiled.

"I'm happy to hear that," he said and looked at Shivansh and Aayrah standing on the Buruj at some distance away from them, "I'm glad Shivansh found Aayrah. He truly looks happy."

"Aaru too," Ahana said with a wide smile as she saw Shivansh and Aayrah, "She was happy before but she is living now."

"She had no one around her who truly understood her ways or made her smile that way. I see that change in her which I am glad for," she said. Chirag frowned as he looked back at Ahana.

"She had you," he said. Ahana chuckled and shook her head negatively.

"No, Chirag. I don't think I or even Aai Baba understood her the way Shivansh does," she said truthfully.

"It's great though. I don't have to worry about my introverted friend anymore while leaving him alone here. Because now there will be someone by his side always and that too as badass as AAyrah. She will eat everyone who even thinks of messing with Shivansh," Chirag said. Ahana smiled.

"He took away my worry too. About leaving my reckless Aaru in this city," Ahana said, "I hope they stay like this always."

"I hope so too," Chirag said and continued, "That at least they can be like this forever." Ahana smiled silently and moved her gaze to the sky above as the dark clouds gathered making the surroundings darker. The cold breeze hit her loose locks and made her shiver.

💫💫💫💫

The lush green valley looked beautiful as ever as the light rain started pouring. Shivansh moved his gaze back at Ahana and Chirag who rushed below the giant Kalyan Darwaaza to hide from the rain though it wasn't more. He gestured at them about them being ok and looked at Aayrah who held her gaze at the front as a wide smile formed on her lips. The wind came along with the light water which hit on her and made her shiver. Aayrah chuckled as Shivansh smiled hopelessly looking at her. 

"I love rains, Egghead," she shouted throwing her hands up in the air. Shivansh let out a laugh looking at her innocence and shook his head slightly.

"Me too," he said, "That's why I thought of getting born in the month of rain gods." Aayrah raised her eyebrows listening to Shivansh. The water droplets fell through her cheeks as her hair started getting wet with the increasing force of the rain.

"Oh right, I never asked you about your birthday," Aayrah said getting excited all of sudden. Shivansh smirked at her.

"It comes in June," he said, "7th of June." Aayrah made an O-face and nodded her head.

"Ooh, I am a winter baby," she said with a wide smile. Shivansh smiled.

"That's why you like winters but wait, your Mumbai just offers hit and humidity," Shivansh said with a smirk. Aayrah frowned hearing him and moved to face him.

"Very funny," she said and continued, "But your Pune doesn't have the rains as heavy as Mumbai or coastal cities."

"Yes right. Like how your Mumbai stops with just a day of rain? Our Pune doesn't stop functioning because of such things," Shivansh said challenging further. Aayrah gave him a pressed smile.

"Yes yes, Pune just stops for the lunch break, no?" she asked sarcastically and tried to contain her smile looking at Shivansh's irritated face. She said again, "1 to 4. Who does that? Leaving your work to take a nap?"

"Whatever," Shivansh said with annoyance not having anything to argue back. Aayrah laughed and looked at the front.

"And these are rains? We roam around in this kind of rain. We have sea," She said proudly and smiled at Shivansh who rolled his eyes.

"What is the use of that salty water?" he asked. Aayrah gave him a look.

"You won't understand the peace a sea offers, Bapat," She said.

"Hmm... I have this," Shivansh said while pointing at the greenery and peacefulness of the surrounding. Aayrah smiled along with a nod.

"Which is equally beautiful," Aayrah said agreeing with him finally.

"I was just kidding, Mehta," Shivansh said further with a smile, "Sea is as beautiful and I always had some kind of attraction for it. I always roam around Konkan, Alibagh, and a few other coastal regions."

"So you like beaches. Then what were you doing in mountains?" Aayrah asked moving her gaze back to Shivansh. He shrugged.

"I love them equally. Both have their different charm," He said to which Aayrah again nodded.

"That's true too," she said in a low voice. The rain slowed down by now relatively but the running wind kept everything cold. Aayrah shivered under her t-shirt.

"Ah, it's bloody cold," She shouted wrapping her arms around her body. Shivansh chuckled hearing her and thought of teasing her for some more time. The wrinkles on her forehead made her look cute.

"You love winters," Shivansh said. Aayrah looked at him with a big frown.

"Shut up and give me that jacket. You are anyway wearing a shirt beneath," she shouted. Shivansh started laughing but anyway took out his jacket while keeping his backpack carefully to the side.

"Here," he said handing her the jacket which she took with a wide smile. He placed the bag on his back again.

"It's such amazing weather," Aayrah said happily while settling in his jacket. 

"By the way, you completed a week at your work. How does it feel?" Shivansh asked as he didn't ask her that one thing till now. He was busy with his own work that it slipped off his mind. Now as he was enjoying the extended weekend with her, he reminded it just now. Aayrah gave him a known look which made him rub the back of his neck apologetically. She smiled anyway as she spoke.

"Amazing. I am enjoying it. Everyone is welcoming but I am just sad for one thing," she said. Shivansh frowned.

"Which is?" He asked. Aayrah sighed.

"I don't get to see you as often," she complained. She knew his genuine reasons and understood them well but still, she felt sad about not getting to spend much time with him lately. Shivansh felt guilty looking at her fallen face.

"I am trying," he said and moved a little closer to her as he spoke again, "The project is on the fast track so it's busy but don't worry as phase 1 is ending next month and then, I will have more time hopefully." Aayrah chuckled at her stupidity and nodded.

"It's ok, Egghead. No need to get so serious," She said and moved further closer to him. She threw a hand around his arm as she spoke again, "I was just teasing you. I am busy too. It's new and exciting and I am settling." Shivansh smiled a little.

"Besides, I am happy about how things are folding up for us," She said looking back at Shivansh with a wide and genuine smile.

"Me too," Shivansh said wiping her wet face and moving her wet strands away. He sighed and thought for a moment about the new set of information that he was going to feed her with now.

"About tomorrow, my Aaji and Ajoba will be there too," He said and eyed her face carefully. Aayrah widened her eyes as some anxiety filled her.

"What?" she asked feeling nervous.

"Sorry," Shivansh said, "They live in Thane but visits us often."

"They wanted to see of Chirag so they came over," he said telling their real reason for the visit. 

"I could have come later," Aayrah said not being sure if she would visit his grandparents.

"I don't mind if you are not comfortable enough. Aai and Baba will understand too and we will meet next weekend," Shivansh said in an understanding tone. It was never in this plan and even his parents had the same thoughts as his. If Aayrah is not comfortable then they were willing to move the plan to next weekend.

Aayrah sighed and looked up at Shivansh again. She smiled. If these people are so understanding about what she feels then she didn't have to worry about anything. She considered herself lucky enough to have these nicest people for herself, by her side.

"No, it's ok. I have to anyway meet them sooner or later so this is fine," She said with a genuine and assured smile.

"Are you sure though?" He asked. He didn't want her to take any decisions unwillingly so he wanted to make sure about how she felt. She smiled again. This time wider.

"Yup. Definitely," She said and nodded as her face fell before speaking again, "What about my blue hairs?" Shivansh gave her a glare as she started laughing.

"Will you seriously not care about such things?" He asked. Aayrah laughed again.

"Egghead, I am drenched, and now where did that shitty rain go?" She asked moving her gaze to the sky above.

"That's our rain," he said pointing at her previous statement. She looked back at him and rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, right right," she said and pressed a smile, "Unlike our heavy falls, your rain just sprinkles water." Shivansh rolled his eyes and took out his specs which were drenched in water. He was tired of wiping them continuously.

"Your specs. Can you even see through them?" Aayrah asked.

"Yes," he said as he rubbed those glasses on his shirt but it was in vain.

"By the way, Ansh, yesterday I read one board while coming back from office," Aayrah said again. Shivansh sighed and looked up at her.

"What?" He asked.

"Photo kharab aalyas apalya vadilana jaab vicharava amhala nahi," she said and contained her smile as she kept looking at Shivansh. He looked at her with a glare as she burst into laughter.

Shivansh sighed while shaking his head slightly.

"And then, I went to Katakir to eat Misal and there was another," Aayrah said again while getting back from her laughter attack.

"Ek misal doghat khau naye nahitar doghache paise lavanyat yetil," she said again. Shivansh just looked at her.

"I mean seriously?" She asked.

"So? Why would they suffer loss?" He asked. Aayrah frowned.

"So? Why would the person who is eating suffer loss? I mean if they don't have enough hunger to eat one whole misal by themselves, why would they waste their money?" She counter questioned him.

"Eat Wada Paav," Shivansh said with a shrug and put his specs in his shirt pocket instead.

"You are such a Punekar. I had a misconception about you before, Bapat," Aayrah said poking him in the arm.

"I will defend my city," Shivansh said.

"Defend something worthy and not this," Aayrah said with a roll of her eyes.

"My landlord keeps a cardboard hung on her door," She said, "Half liter."

"I mean what is that? Half liter but what?" She asked. Shivansh sighed.

"It's for the milkman and he will understand it," he said with irritation and looked at her.

"Then khalchya angala and varchya angala? Can't you say left or right?" Aayrah asked pointing at the way Punekar's tell directions.

"Will you stop? We have our ways," Shivansh asked with annoyance, "We don't speak Hindi with everyone but go by our Marathi." Aayrah looked at him for a few moments and burst into laughter.

"It's so fun, dude. Baba is so right," she said while laughing loudly. Shivansh just shook his head with frustration.

"Are you going to continue this?" He asked looking at laughing Aayrag.

"Yes, I love this and I love those Puneri boards even more," She said and hugged Shivansh tightly from beside.

"Oh love birds, we are here too," They looked down at Chirag and Ahana.

"Aaru, come down. You both are drenched," Ahana shouted.

"We are fine, Di. What will those sprinkles do to me? Right, Chirag?" Aayrah asked with a smirk. Chirag frowned.

"Shiv," he shouted. Shivansh sighed.

"I already had my debate with her, Chirag," he said and moved down while carefully placing his steps on those stoned and ruined stairs. Aayrah held his hand as they proceeded down, "You can continue from hereon."

Aayrah smirked at Chirag stepping on the ground and in front of Chirag. He took a deep breath and smirked at her. Aayrah smirked back. Shivansh and Ahana exchanged a hopeless look and started walking past them. Chirag and Aayrah's bickering started as soon as they followed Shivansh and Ahana back to the fort and inside.

The lunch was served way too early at 12 but the weather was soothing with no sight of Sun in the sky. The wind was cold and pleasant too. The 4 plates of Zunka-Bhakar placed in front of them along with a plate full of matka dahi. There were 10 matkas and still they wouldn't have been enough for them. They started devouring their food like they were hungry for ages. This local food was what they missed the most while being away for weekend trips and Chirag and Shivansh cursed each other for not coming to Sinhgad for long.

"Really? It wasn't because of me, Shivansh Bapat. You started ditching me because of your girlfriend..." Chirag shouted dramatically and stopped all of sudden.

"Sorry," He said when Shivansh widened his eyes. Aayrah sighed while licking her spoon.

"It's ok. I don't care about her anymore. My insecurities are gone," she said and gave Chirag a smile.

"But I do like this one," Chirag said smiling at Aayrah.

"I'm glad," Shivansh said while glaring at Chirag.

"Besides, you were busy with treks to Sandhan valley, Khandala, and whatnot," Shivansh spoke again, "I was still in Pune."

"Inside office," Chirag said and Shivansh rolled his eyes.

"By the way, you guys will enjoy without me now?" Chirag asked again. Ahana shrugged while taking a piece of Bhakari dipped in Zunka to her mouth.

"Of course. You will without us so we will without you," She said and smiled at Chirag making him frown.

"I'm going to go to pubs with those friends of his. Isha, Piyush, Amey, Nikita, and others. Those are pretty cool," Aayrah said again. She did meet Shivansh's friends just once and those were quite welcoming.

"Beware of that witch as she has the same friend circle," Chirag said. Aayrah shrugged.

"As I said, I don't care about her," She said casually because she really wasn't bothered anymore.

"That's good then," Chirag said with a smile.

"Doesn't this fort offer that Kulfi anymore?" Ahana asked with pain. She loved eating kulfi from this fort.

"The salty one from that topri?" Chirag asked. She nodded.

"Yes. The one from those steel cones. It used to taste so yum," Ahana said.

"I loved that too. Ms. Perfect, we do share something," Chirag said with a smirk while eyeing Ahana. She gave an impressive smile.

"That's the most amazing thing, no?" She said. Chirag chuckled.

"Of course," he said with a nod, "So you all are coming to see me off on Sunday, right?"

"Chirag, I'm working and I don't want to look like a zombie on Monday at my new office," Aayrah said with a sigh. Chirag threw an irritated glare at her.

"You are so rude," he said and looked at Shivansh.

"I have always been," Aayrah said.

"What about you? Her Egghead?" Chirag asked with annoyance making Shivansh and Ahana chuckle.

"She is right," Shivansh said. Chirag raised his eyebrows.

"She is right?" He asked faking hurt expressions as he spoke again, "I need to think about what I said about you, bunny."

Aayrah gave him a flying kiss. Chirag shook his head in disappointment.

"Give it to him," Chirag said. She smirked.

"I give him the real ones, of course," She said and eyed Shivansh who sighed while shaking his head.

"You are just too much, Aaru," Ahana said making Chirag laugh. Aayrah smiled too.

"I will come in the evening tomorrow," Chirag said moving his gaze to Shivansh who nodded as he spoke further, "Aaji Aaba are coming right?"

"Yup," Shivansh said.

"Your grandparents?" Ahana asked. Shivansh nodded.

"Aaru?" Ahana asked. Aayrah shrugged feeling relaxed with that thought now.

"I am fine with meeting them. Really," she said with an assuring smile.

"Okay. That's quite brand new Aayrah I'm seeing here," Ahana said with an impressive smile.

"Yes I am trying to be responsible now," Aayrah said with a smile making others smile too.

"Ooohhh," Chirag and Ahana said teasingly making Shivansh and Aayrah chuckle.

"Kaki, ajun ek plate aana matka dahi chi," Aayrah shouted looking at a lady behind. She smiled and nodded.

"Ho, Tai," she said as they got back to eating and chattering.

It was past afternoon when they came to the base and kept their promise by eating kanda bhaji at the small stall of the old lady and making her smile wide. They asked her about her living to which she responded happily.

The already darker environment started getting darker even before evening arrived because of Sun hiding behind the dark clouds. They took a quick stop by Khadakwasla dam to enjoy the scenery. By the time they got back to Pune, it was already night. Chirag looked around in the night with Ahana on the backseat of his bike. He stopped at the signal at Nal Stop with the heavy traffic around. The metro construction was in full swing as people shouted in Marathi and Hindi. The buses stopped nearby while the people were running to cross the road looking around.

He sighed feeling the emptiness within. These people, this traffic, this surrounding, this city, this country, the bickering couple standing at the signal beside them, and the girl sitting behind him. He was going to miss them all. A pain surpassed within him but he just pressed the gear and pulled the accelerator when the signal turned green. Pushing those emotions away and keeping these memories in that one compartment of his heart safely and securely to cherish them again when he will feel lonely in that different country.

--------------------------------------------

That was all for now. Let me know what you think about this one.

Vote if you liked.⭐

I'll be back with the second last chapter soon.

Till then, tata. ❤️

-------------------------------

✨ Something More ✨

Kalyan Darwaza

Jhunka or Zunka is a vegetarian traditional Indian dish prepared in Maharashtra, Goa and North Karnataka. It is essentially a chickpea flour porridge. It is also known by the name of pithla or pithle.

The traditional food on Sinhgad is shown below which consists of two thalis of Zunka Bhakat along with Thecha.
The white thing in another plate is Matka dahi.
And then onion pakoda aka Kanda Bhaji in Maharashtra.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 250 15
A collection of short stories ----------- Index - 1. A beautiful mess ✓ 2. Our love song ✓ 3. It started with a bet ✓
25.6K 1.3K 32
Akshara and Abhimanyu journey from childhood enemies to friends. And how friendship turns into love. This story is gonna be rollar coaster ride of ab...
3.9K 503 12
it is a story about a beautiful journey of two beautiful people baaki ka ander jake padho 😉😁
558 41 5
When the sea of life gets hit by a tornado, we search for an escape from the harsh reality. Aadhira did the same when her boyfriend left her for his...