Echo in the Night|| OC

By awhoresconcubine

She is a gift from the Greek Gods. The daughter of Hecate, Goddess of Witchcraft and Magic. She is the one de... More

Character/Author note
Prologue
Chapter one: Diagon Alley
Chapter two: The Leaky Cauldron
Chapter three: Corporeal Patronus
Chapter Four: Hippogriff Slashing
Chapter Five: House-elves
Chapter six: Boggart
Chapter seven: Start of a bond
Chapter Eight: Halloween Eve
Chapter Nine: Flight of the Fat Lady pt.1
Chapter ten: Flight of The Fat Lady pt.2
Chapter Eleven: Fudge
Chapter thirteen: Hinkypunks
Chapter fourteen: The Marauder's Map
Chapter Fifteen: Holidays
Chapter Sixteen: The Patronus
Chapter Seventeen: Hogwarts skeleton key
Chapter Eighteen: Hermione's punch
Chapter Nineteen:The Completed Prediction
Chapter Twenty: The Servant of Lord Voldemort
Chapter Twenty One: Second Bite's The Charm?
Chapter Twenty Two: Your Self-Hatred Can Go Fuck Itself
Echo In The Night: Fourth Year
Chapter Twenty Three: A Cottage Full of Traumatized Queers
Chapter Twenty Four: Shut Up! You're All Gonna Die. Street Smarts!
A/N

Chapter twelve: Grim Defeat

2.2K 99 72
By awhoresconcubine

The school talked of nothing but Sirius Black and Echo for the next few days. The theories about how he entered the castle became wilder and wilder; Hannah Abbott, from Hufflepuff, spent much of their next Herbology class telling anyone who'd listen that Black could turn into a flowering shrub.

The Slytherins were the ones gossiping that Echo assisted with Black's entry and his escape of the castle. Then saying how she hid before anyone could find her. Technically, they were partially correct as Echo did assist with his escape.

Ever since the rumors were exposed, a certain group of upperclassman were being the victims of non-stop pranks. It was obvious who it was, but none of the Professor's could find any evidence to prove their suspicions.

She has yet to be asked out again, too.

Echo enjoyed it. Watching Nick Webb enter the Great Hall with absolutely no hair on his body was satisfying . . . in a harmless way. Echo mused the idea that it would be better to remove their fingernails with pliers.

The muggles always did have great torturing methods.

At one point, Echo was summoned to the Headmaster's office. She thought that Dumbledore wanted to know the details of the actual conversation that occurred between her and Black. She knew he wasn't daft; he was fully aware that what Echo relayed to Fudge was twisted. 

When she stood before the Griffin statue, it moved to the side allowing her access. She didn't even have to say the password. As she walked past, the statue stood straighter and puffed its chest out.

Ignoring the odd behavior from the Griffin, she stood still as the steps raised her up to the office door. She heard a 'come in' before she could even knock.

Dumbledore spoke as she sat in the chair in front of him. "How are you finding Hogwarts, Ms Creed?" He asked pleasantly.

She blinked at him. "You summoned me here, Professor?"

Dumbledore chuckled, "Right to business I see. You are aware that Sirius Black is after Harry, correct?"

Echo nodded, "I was told that, yes."

"But you do not believe it." It was a statement more than a question.

Echo shrugged.

Dumbledore had a thoughtful expression while staring at Echo for a moment or two.

"When you accepted my offer to attend Hogwarts, you agreed to watch over Harry as well. Do you still wish to do so?" asked Dumbledore carefully, eyeing her.

"I do," said Echo confidently.

"Very well," Dumbledore nodded while standing up and walking over to her side, Echo stood as well. "I ask that you walk Harry to his classes. I already informed the teachers so you will not be marked tardy. I also want you to accompany him to his quidditch practices—" Dumbledore handed her a note— "And this note is for Oliver Wood, I understand that he will be more than reluctant to let you be present."

Echo's eyes moved across the piece of parchment before looking back at Dumbledore.

"Harry won't be too thrilled about this, Dumbledore."

He nodded solemnly. "It's just for precaution."

Echo stared at the graying wizard for a moment before retreating back to the office door.

Echo fulfilled Dumbledore's wishes, walking Harry to and from classes and meal times. She hasn't been able to spend time with Lupin as much and had to move her tutoring sessions to fit around Harry's schedule. She refused to knock their sessions down, so she just spent less time studying on her own to assist the very overwhelmed first and second years.

Harry was obviously getting annoyed by everybody following him. But Echo was able to play it off as wanting to spend time with him. Though, she had to sacrifice her sanity; when he found out she was able to attend his quidditch practices, all he did was talk about the sport.

The day before the match between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, the winds reached howling point and the rain fell harder than ever. It was so dark inside the corridors and classrooms that extra torches and lanterns were lit. The Slytherin team was looking very smug indeed, and none more so than Malfoy.

As Echo walked with Harry, Oliver wood kept hurrying up to him between classes and giving him tips. The third time this happened, Echo notified Harry that they were ten minutes late for Defense Against the Dark Arts, causing him to set off at a run with Wood shouting after him, "Diggory's got a very fast swerve Harry, so you might want to try looping him —"

Echo followed after Harry but not at a sprint, more of a fast paced jog.

Reaching the classroom , Harry pulled the door open and dashed inside.

"Sorry we're late, Professor Lupin, we—"

But it wasn't Professor Lupin who looked up at them from the teachers desk; it was Snape.

"This lesson began ten minutes ago, Potter, Creed, so I think we'll make it ten points from Gryffindor and five from Slytherin. Sit down."

Echo almost forgot that Lupin wasn't coming in today. He was sick and it wasn't even because of the full moon.

She was studying in his office last night when he abruptly ran towards the bathroom and proceeded to throw up. Echo attempted to give him her remedy; hoping it would work as she never used it when it wasn't a full moon. But he just sniffed the foul smell and threw up again.

"Where's Professor Lupin?" he said.

"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today," said Snape with a twisted smile. "I believe I told you two to sit down?"

Echo did as she was told, sitting next to nervous looking Neville who saved her a seat. But Harry stayed where he was.

"What's wrong with him?"

Snape's black eyes glittered. "Nothing life-threatening," he said, looking as if he wished it were. "Five more points from Gryffindor, and if I have to ask you again, it will be fifty."

Harry walked slowly to his seat and sat down. Snape looked around the class.

As Snape continued his snide remarks towards Lupin's lack of organization. Hermione and Dean Thomas both interrupted, defending him, earning murmurs of agreement.

"You are easily satisfied. Lupin is hardly overtaxing you— I would expect first years to be able to deal with Red Caps and grindylows. Today we will discuss—"
Echo watched him flick through the textbook, to the very back chapter, which he must know they hadn't covered.

"— werewolves," said Snape, watching Echo.

Snape had a glint in his eyes, one that could only be described as malevolent.

He knew. How did he know that Echo knew of Lupin's lycanthropy? Echo's face remained blank, not giving any sort of reaction. It's what he wanted, he wanted a reaction, and for someone to connect the dots to Lupin.

"But, sir," Hermione said, seemingly unable to restrain herself, "we're not supposed to do werewolves yet, we're due to start hinkypunks—!"

"Ms Granger," said Snape in voice of deadly calm. "I was under the impression that I am teaching this lesson, not you. And I am telling you all to page 394." He glanced around again. "All of you! Now!"

With many bitter sidelong looks and some sullen muttering, the class opened their books. Echo zoned out, not caring to listen to the rest of Snape's biased teaching.

She started to read the text,

"A Werewolf is a man who turns into a wolf on full moons and devours animals, people, or corpses but returns to human form by day. Werewolves are unable to change shape at will; the condition is hereditary or acquired by having been bitten under the influence of a full moon. If he is wounded in wolf form, the wounds will show in his human form and may lead to his detection. Belief in werewolves is found throughout the muggle world. This condition in which a person is able to transform into a werewolf is called lycanthropy."

Echo only zoned back in when Neville flinched beside her.

"Silence," snarled Snape. "Well, well, well, I never thought I'd meet a third-year class who wouldn't even recognize a werewolf when they saw one, I shall make a point of informing Professor Dumbledore how very behind you all are . . . ."

"Please, sir," said Hermione, whose hand was still in the air, "the werewolf differs from the true wolf in several small ways. The snout of the werewolf—"

"That is the second time you have spoke out of turn, Ms Granger," said Snape coolly. "Five more points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know-it-all."

Hermione went very red, put down her hand and stared at the floor with her eyes full of tears. It was a mark of how much the class loathed Snape that they were all glaring at him, because every one of them had called Hermione a know-it-all at least once, and Ron, who told Hermione she was a know-it-all at least twice a week, said loudly, "You asked us a question and she knows the answer! Why ask if you don't want to be told?"

The class knew instantly he'd gone too far. Snape advanced on Ron slowly, and the room held its breath.

"Detention, Weasley," Snape said silkily, his face very close to Ron's. "And if I ever hear you criticize the way I teach a class again, you will be very sorry indeed."

The class's eyes followed Snape as he walked back behind his desk.

Their line of sight switched over to Echo who had her hand raised. Snape surveyed Echo with a quirk of his brow and a satisfied smirk.

"Ms Creed?" he inquired.

"You asked how to distinguish between a werewolf and a true wolf?" she questioned, closing her book. But didn't let him answer as she continued. "It's quite simple, a true wolf remains a wolf all it's life. But to recognize a werewolf is difficult. Because a werewolf is a human, like you and me—"(more or less)—"96.7% of the year—"

"—Do I have to rem—" Snape unsuccessfully interrupted, as Echo spoke on top of him.

"—They only unwillingly shift during the full moons, and when they do there are subtle differences from true wolves; shorter snout like Hermione said, human-like eyes, tufted tail, and larger than your average wolf—"

"—Ms Creed—"

The class silently prayed for Echo as she continued interrupting a glaring Professor Snape

"— Werewolves are not in their right mind when they shift; they turn ruthless. Doesn't matter if their best-friend crosses their path, they would slaughter them with no hesitation," Echo said.

Snape, thinking that she was finished, was about to just let it go, and continue on her comment about the savage behavior of werewolves.

He was wrong.

"But . . . when the sun replaces the full moon and the werewolf turns back into a human. He has to live in an oppressive society for his whole life, added with the crushing guilt of killing the only person who supported him. Their entire being is defined by them turning into a beast 3.28% of the year, a beast they have no control over. It's discriminatory and unfair. They should be treated as human beings with an unfortunate disease, not like they are a disease." Echo finished with passionate words yet an impassive voice, staring Snape in the eyes the entire time.

You could hear a pin drop.

The Golden trio and Neville were already planning her funeral, debating between red or white roses.

————————————————

After being told to write a two parchment length essay on the ways to recognize and kill a werewolf, Echo and Ron stayed behind.

Echo received a two week long detention with Hagrid in the Forbidden Forest, Ron got assigned to scrub bed pans in the hospital wing without Magic.

Snape seemed like he wanted to give her more but was unable too. Echo thought that maybe Dumbledore gave the teachers certain limits for her punishments.

Echo and Ron caught up with Hermione, Harry and Neville after that. Neville's face was filled with worry when she reached him.

"Echo, are you alright?" he anxiously asked.

"I'm okay, Neville, really. He didn't do much," she said, giving a reassuring nod. Neville was always baffled that Echo was never intimidated by Professor Snape.

"Why did you do that?!" Harry exclaimed with disbelief. "I mean you talked over Snape! Out of all the Professors, you chose Snape?" said Harry, incredulously.

"Relax, I only got detention," she said, indifferently.

"Echo still, Professor Snape doesn't like you much already— I'm sorry, but it's true," said Hermione. "It's even worse that you're a Slytherin— I mean, a student from his own house disrespecting him? He's not going to take this lightly."

"Professor Snape can do all he wants. It'll only affect me when I respect him as a teacher who isn't biased and doesn't bully children," said Echo, dismissively.

"It's not Echo you should be worried about," Ron fumed. "She's not the one that has to scrub bedpans without Magic. No, she gets to join Hagrid in Forbidden Forest."

While Ron went on a rant filled with towering rage, Hermione pulled Echo aside as they followed behind Harry, Ron, and Neville.

"Echo?" Hermione started, quietly.

"Hmm?" Echo glanced at Hermione.

She hesitated as she continued, "You spend a lot of time with Lupin, right?"

When Echo nodded she continued, "Do you think that- maybe- Professor Lupin is a- well a werewolf? I mean it adds up, doesn't it? He missed a couple days of school at the end of September, and surrounding the full moon in October he seemed tired and weak."

Hermione really was a bright witch. Echo kept her composure and thought about the best way to handle this. She didn't want to violate Lupin's trust by confirming Hermione's suspicion, nor did she want to lie; she hates liars. She believed that if you have a secret, then you have a secret, but you shouldn't try and lie about it.

She shrugged. "Lupin? I don't know, does it matter?"

"Well- werewolves are dangerous—"

Echo stopped Hermione, and turned to face her.
"Hermione, if Professor Lupin really was a werewolf then I'm sure extra precautions were made. Dumbledore wouldn't hire a werewolf without guaranteeing the safety of his students and staff."

Hermione was hesitant but nodded unsurely, looking deep in thought as they continued walking.

Before they caught up to the boys Echo added, "And plus, I've been around Lupin long enough to know he wouldn't want to hurt a fly. Literally, I saw him mentally prepare himself before squashing a bug."

The wind was strong as the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff quidditch teams staggered sideways as they walked out onto the field.

Echo sat next to Neville as fresh rolls of thunder and heavy rain invaded the quidditch pitch. She casted the same water repellent spell she did at the train station, on Neville and herself. It stopped the rain from abusing them but not the icy winds.

Harry was flying around the pitch on his Nimbus Two Thousand, searching through the pelting water. He was having a difficult time as his glasses were being clouded by the rain, all he saw was blurred colors. Nearly getting hit by a bludger, twice.

They were halfway into the game when a flash of lightning came the sound to Madam Hooch's whistle. The Gryffindor team called for a timeout. Echo watched Hermione hastily get up and leave.

The sky became darker and darker, as though night had come early. The game continued on, she wasn't sure what the score was, nor cared, Echo just wanted to leave. She couldn't see any player, maybe catching the color of a robe for a split second.

As watching the game was pointless, Echo surveyed the crowd of huddled students. But at that moment, another flash of lightening illuminated the stands, Echo saw something that held her attention completely— the silhouette of an enormous shaggy black dog, sitting motionlessly in the topmost, empty row of seats.

Sirius Black. Echo thought he couldn't of been more stupid. He was risking his entire freedom so he could watch a school quidditch match?

She was about to go down and drag him by the scruff but something odd was happening. An eerie silence was falling across the stadium. The wind, though as strong as ever, was forgetting to roar. It was as though someone had turned off the sound, as though Echo had gone suddenly deaf.

A familiar cold swept over her, just as she became aware of the field above.

Harry was being surrounded by hundreds of dementors. But it wasn't just him.

A crowd of dementors was surrounding Echo, trying to feed off of her most painful memories. It felt like freezing water was rising in her chest, cutting at her sides.

Echo buried those memories, conjuring her happiest one, she whipped out her wand, "Expecto Patronum!"

A silver panther bursted out of her wand. It started running at the swarming dementors, acting as a shield for Echo. A silver Phoenix was present as well, the two worked together as the dementors were falling back, scattering, retreating into the darkness, away from Harry and the pitch.

The students and staff watched mesmerized as the two patronus's illuminated the dark sky.

Over the clapping thunder, Echo heard a scream, a real scream.

She moved her eyes towards the middle of the pitch; a body was falling rapidly through the sky.

She didn't waste a second before pointing her wand at the quidditch player and shouting "Aresto Momentum!"

"Lucky the ground was so soft."

"I thought he was dead for sure."

"But he didn't even break his glasses."

"Back off, you're all practically suffocating him," Echo grumbled.

Harry just so happened to be the body that was falling from the sky. He was immediately taken to the hospital wing. The Gryffindor Quidditch team, spattered with mud head to foot, was gathered around his bed. Ron and Hermione were also there, looking as though they'd just climbed out of a swimming pool. Neville and Echo stood to the side, both dry.

"That was the scariest thing I've ever seen in my life."

Harry's eyes snapped open. He looked disoriented as started to become aware of his surroundings.

"Harry!" said Fred, who looked extremely white underneath the mud. "How're you feeling?"

"What happened?" he said, sitting up suddenly.

"You fell off," said Fred. "Must've been— what—fifty feet?"

"Seventy," Echo corrected.

"We thought you'd died," said Alicia, who was shaking.

"But the match," said Harry. "What happened? Are we doing a replay?"

No one said anything. The horrible truth sank into Harry like a stone.

"We didn't—lose?"

"Diggory got the snitch,"said George. "Just after you fell. He didn't realize what happened. When he looks back and saw you on the ground, he tried to call it off. Wanted a rematch. But they one fair and square . . . even Wood admits it."

"Where is Wood?" said Harry suddenly realizing he wasn't there.

"Still in the showers." said Fred. "We think he's trying to drown himself."

Harry put his face in his knees, his hands gripping his hair. Fred grabbed his shoulder and shook it roughly.

"Cmon, Harry, you've never missed the snitch before."

"There had to be one time you didn't get it," said George.

Echo turned her attention over to Neville who was still shivering madly, next to her. He didn't get wet, thanks to Echo, but he lost his scarf and earmuffs the night prior so he was freezing.

Echo wordlessly unraveled her Slytherin scarf and handed it towards Neville. He was about to decline, worried that Echo needed it. But after receiving a look that told him not to argue with her, he took it and wrapped his neck while raising his shoulders, trying to stuff red his ears in the scarf as well. The green really clashed with the red and gold.

"Thank you." His voice was muffled as it was covered by her scarf. It smelled like her as he inhaled through his nose deeply, it was a calming scent; rose water and ivy.

Madam Pomfrey came over to tell the team to leave Harry in peace.

The team trooped out, along with Neville, trailing mud behind them. Madam Pomfrey shut the door behind them, looking disapproving. Ron, Hermione and Echo moved nearer to Harry's bed.

"Dumbledore was really angry," Hermione said in a quaking voice. "I've never seen him like that before. Dumbledore and Echo both shot that silver stuff out of their wands at the dementors. He ran onto the field after Echo shouted something; slowing you down before you hit the ground. He was furious they'd come onto the grounds. We heard him—"

"Then he magicked you onto a stretcher," said Ron. "And walked up to school with you floating on it. Everyone thought you were . . . "

His voice faded. Hermione and Ron both had solemn expressions.

"Comforting, knowing you guys have no faith in me," Echo said, breaking the tensed silence. That caused Harry to quirk a smile while Hermione laughed lightly.

The only reason why Echo even agreed to attend Hogwarts was to protect Harry Potter. She wasn't going to let 'the boy who lived' die because he fell of a broom, at that point it would just be embarrassing.

Movement caught Echo's attention through the corner of her eye. Turning her head to the window, she could barely make out the figure of a large dog slinking towards the Whomping Willow, disappearing in the thick roots.

She glanced back to the Trio, they were engrossed in their own conversation. Giving her the perfect opportunity to sneak out.

——————————————————
A/N

Ok so I hate my writing. It's weird like I write in chunks. Like different events all happen during the same time . . . Idk it's weird and I can't stop. Am I not able to space my writing out? Apparently not

Send help.

Any who, I hate it here.

Also I wrote this on election night: I hope Biden wins

Words:3693

Days:2

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201K 8.6K 59
โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค *โ‹†โ ๐ข'๐ ๐ซ๐š๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฌ๐ž ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐œ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ž ๐ญ๐š๐›๐ฅ๐ž ๐š๐ฌ ๐š ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฉ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐จ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž-๐›...
237K 15.4K 78
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
946K 16.2K 41
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
653K 20.8K 41
แ€แ€›แ€ฌแ€ธแ€แ€„แ€บ แ€•แ€ญแ€ฏแ€†แ€ญแ€ฏแ€„แ€บแ€แ€ฝแ€„แ€บแ€ทแ€›แ€–แ€ญแ€ฏแ€ท แ€€แ€ผแ€ญแ€ฏแ€ธแ€…แ€ฌแ€ธแ€™แ€ญแ€›แ€ฏแ€ถ แ€œแ€ฑแ€ธแ€•แ€ซ. แ€œแ€ญแ€™แ€บแ€Šแ€ฌแ€•แ€ผแ€ฎแ€ธ แ€กแ€•แ€ญแ€ฏแ€„แ€บแ€šแ€ฐแ€™แ€ญแ€แ€ฒแ€ท แ€กแ€แ€ฝแ€€แ€บ... ...แ€™ แ€€แ€ญแ€ฏ แ€™แ€™แ€ฏแ€”แ€บแ€ธแ€œแ€ญแ€ฏแ€€แ€บแ€•แ€ซแ€”แ€ฒแ€ท....