Journey to Somewhere New (Sun...

By ghsjixv

[A kinda-sequel to Journey to the West while also being based on the Journey to the West] All her life, she's... More

Prologue
Chap. 2 - You make do with what you have
Chap. 3 - Didn't expect to have fun did ya?
Chap. 4 - Understanding a little better
Chap. 5 - At least someone is having fun
Chap. 6 - Not in the dark
Chap. 7 - Haha boy band song references-Wait.
Chap. 8 - Protecting those we care for
Chap. 9 - Oh.
Chap. 10 - Grieving, but not alone
Chap. 11 - A vicious opponent
Chap. 12 - Human shenanigans
Preview: 'Weird Little Prince'
Chap. 13 - Weird Little Prince / Nice Little Boy
Chap. 14 - Past Burdens; hello again
I know I know, but! 👀
Chap. 15 - Past Burdens; welcome back (1)
Chap. 15 - Past Burdens; welcome back (2)
Chap. 16 - Moon Cakes
Chap. 17 - The Monkey King and his Master (1)
Chap. 17 - The Monkey King and his Master (2)
Teaser (less messy version)
Chap. 18 - "I feel warm."
Artist corner 1.6 (will update frequently maybe)
Special Nezha Reborn spin-off
Chap. 19 - First date
Chap. 20 - Reconnecting and connecting dots
Chap. 21 - Fantasies of a Long Time Fan
Artist corner 1.12 (n'2 bc holy shit)
Chap. 22 - Domestic life, just as adventurous (1)
Chap. 22 - Domestic life, just as adventurous (2)
Chap. 22 - Domestic life, just as adventurous (3)
Chap. 23 - Tension at the family dinner
Chap. 24 - Marriage on Flower Fruit Mountain
Teaser: 'Journey to Somewhere New'
Chap. 25 - Journey to Somewhere New, with you, always
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT (to read AFTER chap. 25)
Special: JTSN's Animal Rescue Team
Chap. 1 - New Dynamics
Artists Corner 2.5 (pt 3, you mad lads)
Chap. 2 - The Horse
Chap. 3 - A sad old man
Chap. 4 - Pushing buttons leading to cooperation
Chap. 5 - Ice breakers as welcome
Teaser: 'Harem Mayhem'
Artists corner 3.5 (you mfs💖)
Chap. 6 - Harem Mayhem (1)
Chap. 6 - Harem Mayhem (2)

Chap. 1 - And the years passed...

4.8K 181 180
By ghsjixv

"(Y/n)?" Bao, now ten years older, knocked on her bedroom door.
Not hearing anything, he opened the door and hesitantly looked inside. Rays of sunlight were peeking through the bamboo curtains, the young woman has just sat up on her bed and was still only half awake. Bao smiled and stepped inside.
"You're usually a morning person. What happened?"
She groaned and rubbed her eye.
"I was too excited last night," she mumbled. "I couldn't sleep."

He opened the curtains. The sudden change of brightness made her yelp and fall back on the bed, covering her eyes.
"Why must you, my old friend of many years, make me suffer so~?" she asked. "And on your last day here with us nonetheless."
He chuckled.
"It's because it's my last day here in the monastery that I intend on enjoying your company as much as I can."
She smiled as he began to walk towards the door.
"We'll be waiting for you in the courtyard."
"Alright~." she waved.
She waited for him to close the door behind him to stand up, change and give a small prayer to the little shrine in honor of her father. On it was incense, his necklace which she would sometimes wear for good luck, and the old monkey doll he made for her.

After what happened ten years ago, her three friends decided to become soldiers. They worked very hard everyday, becoming skillful fighters, and today was the day where they could leave the village to join the king's army and get formal training.
During those years, the boys would come visit the monastery everyday, it was still like a second home to them.
(Y/n) never went past the village again, and she was fine with it. At least that's what she told herself, but everyone could see the longing look on her face when she's admire the landscape.

Wu-peng waved at her once she walked in the courtyard. Shen and Bao turned around to face her and Shen ran up to her, wrapping her in his arms.
"(Y/n)! How I'll miss you!" he whined like the protecting big brother figure he is.
"You're not gone yet." she giggled.
"Come on big guy," Wu-peng separated them. "let her breathe."
"But we have so little time~!"
"We have until sunset, that's plenty of time!"

"And speaking of having plenty of time:" she said. "I have a bunch of errands to run today, so why not spend it by helping me out?"
"Errands?" Wu-peng lifted an eyebrow. "Can't you take the day off?"
"It's not a job per se, I can't 'take a day off'." she shrugged.
He sighed.
"I thought our last day before joining the army was supposed to be fun."
"No she's right!" Shen excitedly exclaimed. "Going around the village will be a great way to say goodbye to everyone! Come on!"

Although she was the kinda-daughter of the late high monk of the monastery, (Y/n) being a woman she couldn't take his place. So to be helpful, she became the little helper of the village. And beside, it didn't stop her from learning a spell or two in secrets (in those times too she'd wear the necklace). She became a real handyman and it showed by the list of what she had to do for the day:
Go grocery shopping; Repair broken wicker baskets; Pick up medicine; Babysit the fisherman's twin sons while taking care of their sick mother; Paint the remaining pots because the pottery master broke his wrist; Change the incense in the many temples of the monastery; Assist the florist while she renovates her shop; Fix the roof of the school; Have weekly tea party with the village's grandmas.
The three boys were expecting some draining work, but this was turning out to be quite fun, especially when doing it with friends. And really it showed them that their was ways to help a community other than protecting them from demons.

"And even then! We're a tiny isolated village," Wu-peng said after sipping his tea. "no demon ever comes by."
"Oh but it's the intention that counts deary." one of the grandmas patted him on the arm.
"I'm sure they'll be plenty of them to slay where you boys are going." another grandma smiled.
"I see this as a good thing that we don't have any demons." (Y/n) said, picking up a biscuit. "Who knows what hell we'd be in right now if my master hasn't stopped those two, years ago."
As she took a bite, Bao looked down. After that, he didn't spoke much but it wasn't that out of the ordinary, so the friendly gossip continued.

"(Y/n) dear, you're all grown up now, when are you going to find a good husband."
His heart skipped a beat and he instinctively glanced at her. She chuckled.
"I'm not ready to move out of the monastery yet."
"Oh my lord," Wu-peng leaned back with a big smile. "remember when she had the biggest crush on the Monkey King?!"
"Oh, please no." she hid her face, blushing slightly. "This is embarrassing."
"Haha! I do!" Shen laughed along with the grandmas.
"She would always praise him whenever she talked about him." one of them said. "She would re-tell the stories she heard."
"That was years ago!" she exclaimed, still smiling at the childhood memories. "I've grown up now!"
"You sure have dear." the grandma next to her pinched her cheek.

"Oh man!" Wu-peng slapped his own forehead on their way back to the monastery after finishing all of (Y/n)'s errands. "Shen, we completely forgot that one thing we need before leaving!"
"What thing?"
"You know," he leaned closer to him, speaking through his teeth. "the very important thing that is so important we must go get it right, now?"
He gestured towards (Y/n) and Bao with a brief nod. Shen glanced at them and his eyes widen as he nodded.
"Right~ the thing!" he turned towards them. "Well, we gotta go."
"What thing? We can go with you-"
"Nonsense, nonsense!" the two boys cut her off as they gently pushed her away. "You guys go on ahead, we'll catch up with you!"
And with that, they ran away.
"What's their deal?"
"I-Beats me." Bao shrugged, suddenly bashful. "Come on."

The walk back was quiet, but (Y/n) didn't mind it with Bao. She looked up and saw that the sun has touched the top of the mountain, meaning it'll be dark soon.
"It's the last time we walk together." she said before quickly adding. "Not to bring bad luck or anything! It just that we won't see each-other for a while."
"Don't worry." Bao smiled. "I'll train as hard as I can so that I'll be back as soon as possible. And when I do, I'll protect you and the village for as long as I live."
She smiled.
"You've changed a lot Bao, you know that?"
"Ha-Have I?" he scratched his cheek.

They've now reached the monastery and stopped in the center of the courtyard, now devoid of people.
"Ten years ago, you were a shy little boy. But look at you now." she faced him and gave him a friendly hit on the arm. "You've blossomed into a brave young man soon-to-be soldier in the king's army."
"You've changed too."
"I sure hope so!" she laughed. "And I'm sure you're destined for great things. Remember that time when you were saved by a mysterious force?"
"We still don't know what it was-"
"I'm telling you! It was a divine intervention, Heaven knows your future dude!"
He smiled, but it soon faded as his expression became more serious.

"(Y/n)..."
She tilted her head. They looked at each-others for a moment as Bao struggled to speak. He opened his mouth but closed it right after.
"When I come back," he finally said. "I'll have something very important to tell you. So wait for me, because I'll most definitely come back."
"I know you will." she smiled.

The four childhood friends hugged tightly, promising each-other to exchange letter once the boys get to their training camp, before they joined the official that'll guide them to the king's palace. The whole village wished them safe travel and even their "manly spirits" shed a few tears in this departure.
"So did you tell her?" Shen asked soon after.
Bao looked down and shook his head, his two best friends sighed.
"Come on man!" Wu-peng frowned. "You've been head over heels for her since ever!"
"I wanted to, I really did." he said. "But as I looked at her... I felt the guilt if what happen to our old master."
"We all told you, what happened wasn't your-"
"It was!" he said in a sudden burst of feelings, which shut Shen up. "And that's why, only when I become a better man and atone for my sin, only then will I confess to her. She deserves this much."
"Oh Bao..." Wu-peng placed a hand on his shoulder. "You're the best man she could ever have."
Bao smiled, glad he wasn't alone for this journey.

It's only been a few days since her best friends left and (Y/n) already missed them greatly.
"I guess that's what you get for hanging out with the same people everyday." she sighed.
"Don't worry (Y/n) dear." the old woman said as she held the laundry basket for her to pick up the clothes and spread them on the laundry rope to dry. "The boys said their journey to the training camp is a couple of weeks away, it's only a matter of time before you receive a letter from them."
"The village will sure be quiet without them."
"Well I did hear that the fisherman's twin sons are already quite the troublemakers."
They both chuckled.
"Yeah I figured as much when I babysitted them."
And with that followed another session of friendly gossip.

After a while, the two women heard some commotion at the entrance of the village and because she just emptied the laundry basket she went there to check it out. Some of the villagers were surrounded a young woman who looked in bad shape.
"What happened?" (Y/n) asked as she walked over to them.
"This young woman came from the forest and suddenly fainted." one of the man wrapped her arm around his shoulders to pick her up.
"I..." the woman said with a weak voice. "I must..."
"Don't waste your energy." (Y/n) softly said. "Let's get her some water and somewhere to lay down."

After setting her in one of the villagers' house's and give her food and water. The stranger seem to have recovered a bit of strength. Having someone from the outside world has already formed a little crowd in front of the house. After "shoo"ing them away, (Y/n) went back inside and sat in front of the woman.
"Thank you for your hospitality." she bowed her head. "I come here because I'm on a mission from the king."
"The king?!" the woman of the house exclaimed. "It must be of great importance then, what happened?"
"Demons and spirits are more ferocious than ever in this part of the Empire, so he asked me to fetch the most righteous monks to help exorcise evil spirits. I've been travelling throughout these land but none of the monks I've encountered were the right fit for the job."

"So the king sent you here, by yourself?" (Y/n) frowned slightly. "Are you some kind of special soldier? How did you survive out there?"
"I had an escort of course!" she quickly said. "But we've been ambushed and I barely escaped which is how I ended up here."
"So you ended in our village...by luck?"
"Not quite, I knew a village was in these parts, I just didn't know where. Finding this place has been a p-" she paused. "It's been a challenge for sure."
"I see." she stood up. "You're lucky, the high monks from our monastery are the most righteous people I know. I can go bring them here for you."
"Oh my, how kindhearted you are."

(Y/n) went to fetch the new high priest and his two most studious disciples, before leaving, she took her father's necklace with her. Just in case the demons followed the woman to the village.
When they walked towards the house, they saw that the woman was now standing in the doorway and walked out in a hurry once she saw them.
"Here they are." (Y/n) gestured towards the tree men.
They bowed. She looked closely at them for a long moment. Then she suddenly cried in rage.
"Not again!" she shouted, stomping her foot on the ground. "Will I have to comb all over China's most isolated and lost parts! It's been years! Where the hell is he?! That's it! I'm done playing!"
"What are you talking abo-?"
(Y/n) suddenly gasped in horror when the woman turned into a wolf demon. The villagers screamed and fled.

"Where is the reincarnation of Golden Cicada?!" she shouted. "Bring him to me or I swear I will tear down this place brick by brick!"
"The Golden Cicada? The former disciple of Buddha?" the high priest asked, his legs shaking.
"Isn't that the monk Tripitaka?" (Y/n) frowned, hoping that, by getting the demon's attention, all of the villagers could hide in a safe spot.
"No you idiot! There's anothe-Wait." she leaned closer to her and (Y/n) felt the color drain from her face. "Why do you, a woman, have a japamala?"
She looked down at her necklace. It was then that an idea went through her mind. Though she was still confused about what was happening, she knew that this demon won't leave until she finds what she was looking for. She gulped and prepared herself to run as she looked back at the beast and forced a smiled.
"You got me, I'm the new Golden Cicada!" she pointed at herself.

"What?!" her eyes widen, but then she frowned. "No you're not! Your eyes aren't cyan, let alone blue!"
"Ha!" she mocked as she began to walk backwards. "You really think that with demons after me, I wouldn't learn out to hide my powers?!"
"(Y/n) no!" she heard one of the grandmas said.
"You're pretty naive for a demon!" she continued.
"Why you little-!"
She was about to punch her but her attack was stopped by the three monks, using a spell to temporarily paralyze her.
"Run!" the high monk exclaimed.
"And now that my cover is blown, I'm out of this tiny village!"
"I will hunt you down if it's the last thing I do!" the wolf demon managed to say through her teeth.
"Well then I hope you like running! Toodles!" (Y/n) shouted before running, hearing the villagers' voices calling out for her slowly fading in the distance.

She ran as fast as her legs could go, as she ran past the hill, she took one last look at her only home before looking ahead and entering the forest.
"(Y/n) wait!"
She looked back to see one of the monks running after her.
"Don't try to stop me!" she said. "And stop following me, you'll just get yourself killed!"
"I'm not trying to stop you!" he caught up to her. "Here!" he handed her a bag. "We saw what happened from the top of the hill, it's the bear necessities, it will nourish you for at least a couple of weeks! Be careful!"
She felt her heart squeeze and with teary eyes, she took the bag and put in on.
"Thank you!"
The monk nodded and then went back to the village. And (Y/n) kept running...

After a while, her legs couldn't take any more physical effort and almost gave up on her when she decided to stop by a clearing and sat beside a river to splash some water on her face. Although this part of the forest seemed demon-less, being in the forest in the first place brought back some painful memories, and the worry of wondering what was happening back in the village didn't help either.
She took out a bit of bread and took this opportunity to check the bag's content. There was food, some money, a few belongings like a straw hat, her favorite comb, a blanket and...
She froze and slowly took out her old monkey doll. She felt her heart ache but she was too tired to cry, so with a pained expression, she instead crawled up into a ball, holding the plush close to her chest. And she stayed like this for a while, with only the silence of the forest around her.
It was the first time in her life that she was alone. And she didn't like it one bit.
But, she knew it was necessary, so when she felt her strength recovered she went on.

Her journey of non-stop moving has been going on for about a week now. She became more accustomed to being by herself, that didn't stop her from thanking the Heavens out loud when she reached a small town. Oh how she missed civilization! With the money she had, she restocked her rations and she negotiated a prize at the local inn to spent a night there at a cheaper prize.
Sleeping in a real bed and have a decent warm meal has never felt better. She slept like a baby that night.
Unfortunately, she left the next day. She didn't want the horned demon to attack them just because of her.

After another few days, she reached the rocky mountains, nothing but rocks for miles. She took a deep breath before continuing on, praising herself for a good amount of hiking.
As she took a break, she pondered over what the wolf demon said.
"The Golden Cicada..." she thought to herself as she ate her meal. "I don't know how old is story of the Journey to the West, maybe there's been other reincarnations in the meantime." she frowned. "But how? Tripitaka should've received buddhahood after his journey, making him immortal. Did something happen...?"
She thought back to ten years ago. What she always thought was divine intervention, could it be...?
"Nah~." she smiled and shook her head. "Geez, my childhood fantasies are kicking in. Like the demon said, my eyes aren't cyan, and I can't even be a monk I'm a girl." she sighed and continued to eat.

She was in the middle of packing her things when she heard distant ruffling. She turned her head towards the sound, motionless. Everything was quiet for a moment and she could hear her heart pounding inside her chest.
Suddenly, something jumped out with a roar. (Y/n) instantly recognized the demon's fur and ran away, grabbing her bag.

"I knew it was just a matter of time if I just tracked your smell!" the beast exclaimed, chasing her. "Unlike us demons, your kind is so easily exhausted! You are still a human after all!" she laughed.
(Y/n) didn't dare to look back and ignored the demon's taunts. She only focused on what was ahead: the rocky, uneven and seemingly endless paths with many obstacles. She almost tripped over a few times. The adrenaline going through her veins made her forget all about her lack of athletic prowess. And with each step she took, she could hear the demon getting two steps closer.
She felt her heart drop when she saw that the path again was coming to a dead end. But then she looked up and had an idea. Once she was close enough, she jumped and started to climb the mountain as fast and as high as she could. It was way harder than the building she was so used to, but she managed.
"What?!" the wolf demon exclaimed, shocked by her sudden speed.

She climbed after her, but she had more difficulties, wolves weren't climbing masters, and slowly but surely, the distance between them increased.
"Think you'll get away from me again?!" she exclaimed. "You're completely out of breath! I give you less than five minutes before you pass out from exhaustion, and I will catch your fallen remains!"
(Y/n) knew she was right, but kept going none less. Then, a little up ahead, she saw a large crack, probably large enough for her to fit. And when she got up to take a look inside, she discovered that it was going further into the mountain. It was a cave. And she did not waste any time trying to squeeze her way inside. Her movements were getting clumsy as she heard the wolf demon getting closer and closer. Just as she finally entered the cave, the demon's arm reached inside to try and grab her, thankfully (Y/n) scooted away just in time.
"I'll get you!" she heard her say. "I'll tear this mountain down just you wait!"
Panting, (Y/n) stood up and walked deeper into the cave.

She left a hand near the wall and walked alongside it in total darkness so that she doesn't get lost. As she walk for what felt like a long time, she could feel the ground going in a downward slope. After a while, she noticed a faint blue light in the distance, she walked up to it to see that it was emanating from strange blue crystals, growing from inside the cave's walls, and she noticed that there were more of them ahead.
She went deeper and deeper down the mountain, she even wondered if she was now underground. There were more and more crystals, so much at some point that she didn't need to hold on to the wall anymore and could clearly see.

Suddenly, the narrow path turned vaster and the roof became higher, as if she just entered a room. A little waterfall could be heard, fireflies gently flew by, and at the very center of the room was one giant blue crystal, stretching up for a dozen of meters but just almost touching the ceiling of the cave, also glowing in a gentle blue light. (Y/n) took a moment to admire this magical scenery before walking in, still looking around in awe.

She placed a hand on the crystal, it wasn't cold, it wasn't hot either. It was as if it was untouched by the rules of this world.
'Magic,' (Y/n) huffed a smile. 'figured.'
Then she noticed something that made her frowned and she took a closer look. In the bright blue, there was a dark motionless mass.
'Is something...or someone, *inside* the crystal?'

She opened her mouth but just then she heard the loud sound of crumbling rocks followed by a roar.
She yelped and looked back. Her hand was still on the crystal so she didn't notice it glowing under her touch. She turned back around when she heard it crack. She stepped back and glanced at her hand before looking back at the crystal. The cracks were now quickly going up, and once it reached the top, the dark figure inside moved slightly, and the crystal began to shatter into pieces and fall on the floor, creating a cloud of dust that was now floating through the air as a considerate amount of brightness dropped.
(Y/n) didn't have time to think about what trouble she could be in and hid when she heard the wolf demon roar once again.

"I cannot believe that I didn't notice sooner." she saw the wolf demon enter the room. "Why *this* mountain out of all-." she stopped and stared ahead with big eyes.
Seemed like she noticed something, but (Y/n) couldn't see it given that she didn't have special demon eyes. The demon looked shocked though.
"You." she said as she walked closer to the center of the room. "I see what's going on."
Now that the path was clear, (Y/n) carefully went for the exit. She figured someone has been broken free from this magic crystal-prison and whoever it was, they were the perfect distraction.
"But don't get ahead of yourself." the demon continued. "I know you're still weak from all those years of imprisonment, so I'll just take immense satisfaction in-" suddenly she screamed.
Standing on the kinda-doorway, (Y/n) froze and turned around. With the bit of brightness that was left, she could see the dark figure kicking the wolf demon in the chest, making her fall back. Then they grabbed her by the ankles and spun around before releasing her. She flew in the air before crashing through the cave's wall, creating a big hole into the mountain itself. Turned out they were right at the bottom of it.

The sudden sunlight forced (Y/n) to close her eyes for a brief moment. When she reopened them again, she watched as the dust slowly dissipated, revealing the former prisoner. He was standing in front of the new exit, his back facing her. And though it was the first time she saw him, she recognized him right away. She gasped.
He looked back and turned to face her. She looked into his slightly glowing red eyes and forgot to breathe for a moment. Wearing old raggedy clothes, contrasting the golden crown formed like a ring around his head, was a tall monkey creature, standing like a man.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.9K 2.6K 63
[Compiled Version] In the Old Tale of Journey to the west, Mk Has spent his time reading it again and even Listens to Tangs Rambling about the Monkey...
1.8K 47 11
You were just living your life like any other human being, until... one night you had a strange dream. Now, somehow, you get pulled into a new world...
19.5K 676 23
Sun Wukong, Great Sage Equal to Heaven, has only ever had one fear. Being alone. After years of dealing with that fear, he has obtained a successor. ...
614 46 6
Sun Wukong accidentally freed a ancestor of demons, causing their beloved monk to get kidnapped and taken as a prisoner by the demon. now he, Baije...