Why we run

By michy_addo

***This book does have a prequel. It's called "I can see you." You do not need to read that book to read this... More

You even smell like her
I am a fighter
Uncle Lamar
I am Isabella Jackson
Not the headlines!
The media
Truth spills
The ground-rules
Sickled
Ladders
Easterbrook Mafia
Family and I don't mix.
Security
Meet the Easterbrooks prt.1
Swimming with the fishes
The mind of Carlos
Meet the Easterbrooks prt 2
Parties and princesses
Party girl
Substances... stay away
The Isabella Jackson, they want to see
We
Tatt and oos
Foceful liars
!HOLA¡ Argentina
Family reunion 1
Family reunion 2
Family reunion 3
This is my life now
Why we run
Create change
Place
Fulfilling dreams
Team Jozzy agreements and family feuds
Calm-ish before the storm
It's on
Winner
Epilogue
Bonus: Vacation
Bonus: vacation prt 2

Heart and soul

70 2 0
By michy_addo

Heart and soul

June 28, 2021

Andre and Nia decided on signing their contracts early.

They knew I was serious.

Joey and I saw their family off this morning.

And right now, we are on our way to the hospital. They want to make sure everything is okay before the surgery, so I'll be staying there till then.

I'm a bit nervous.

"So, what do you think about that?" I hear Joey say.

I groan and drag my hand over my face, "I'm so sorry, I didn't hear a single thing you said."

"I actually didn't say anything. I needed you to get away from your thoughts. You'll be fine Izzy. You have the best team on your side. And I'll be here through it all." He says, reaching for my right hand.

I face him as he looks out the window.

For the first time, my driver is taking us somewhere.

Joey's been taking me away from my stress... When I am comfortable with someone, I talk a lot.

And I've been giving him an earful ever since we had that meeting.

We make it to the hospital soon enough. And cameras...

I'm going to have to get used to that.

Hospital security marked out a route for me to walk. This is awful.

When Joey and I make it to the doors, we see Afi and, surprisingly, Amarion.

I greet Afi, and Amarion and Joey do that bro-hug thing.

I still can't fathom how they got along. They are really good friends, kind of and it's confusing.

I guess there are no hard feelings?

Then chaos...

Reports break down the blocked off route and attack us with questions.

"Izzy, I thought you couldn't stand Amarion?"

"Joey, when did you and Amarion become friends?"

"Amarion, are you sucking up to Joey and Izzy to win her back?"

The questions keep coming, and it's honestly terrifying. I cling behind Joey.

It took a while, but we got in the building safely.

They immediately make me sit on a bed and check out everything after I swore I was okay.

Afi looks at me with worry-filled eyes, "I'm so sorry, I should've told you they were here. I didn't want you to stress-"

"Afi, it's okay. It's part of the job, remember?" I just need to get used to it.

I turn to the boys, "you guys, okay?" I ask them.

They both give me convincing nods.

I look up to the tv in the room, and what do you know? It's us being mobbed.

"Okay, I think that's enough tv." Afi turns it off.

She doesn't like me near the news at all. Afi needs to realize that I am 27 years old. And she is barely four years older than me.

Everyone minds their own business doing whatever then a very important question popped into my head.

I look at Amarion. He catches my gaze and raises an eyebrow.

"Why are you here?" I can't help but chuckle.

"To wish you luck. And Joey and I have stuff to talk about." He says, and I can see Joey glaring at him.

"Am I not supposed to know whatever is going on between the two of you? I still find it weird how friendly you are with one another..." I say suspiciously.

Afi steps out of the room to answer her phone.

Joey laughs, "Princess, it's a football thing."

"Football?"

Mari corrects me, "soccer. It's a soccer thing."

I look between the both of them, "you made bets on something, didn't you?" I narrow my eyes.

"Tomorrow Arsenal plays Manchester United. Joey thinks Arsenal got it." Mari says.

I don't play or watch soccer. And frankly, I don't care.

Afi walks back into the room with irritation written all over her face.

"Afi, what happened?" I question.

She ignores me and faces Amarion, "if your manager wants information, why can't he call you?"

Before he responds, I cut in, "Afi, why don't you like Eli?" I've noticed it for a long time...

Amarion begins to chortle.

I gasp, "you know?"

He looks at me, "you don't?"

"Afi!" Now I really want to know.

"That's between that man and my father." She rolls her eyes.

"Afi please. I'll do anything if you tell me."

"You'll stop sending him presents?" She chirps.

I pout, "but your dad loves my gifts."

She scoffs, "And he has enough money to buy anything to his heart's content."

"Fine, I'll stop after this Christmas because I already bought his gift, and it's no use to me..." I trail off.

"Okay fine. We used to date, and my dad gave him a job if we split. I didn't know that part. He told me he cheated on me and couldn't deal with me, not knowing. I met you, and what do you know, you dated him, and his manager is my ex."

"Wait, why are you mad at Eli if you know the truth?" It makes no sense.

Amarion jumps into the story "because he has been trying to get her back for the past ten years."

"I don't need a boy who is afraid of my dad! It's as simple as that." She says.

I smirk at her, and she questions me. I start to giggle, "you still like him, and you're being stubborn because your dad interfered with your relationship."

"Didn't Tom say you should be resting?" She changes the conversation completely.

I jump to my feet, "oh my gosh! I'm right! You like Eli! I'm calling him!" I grab my phone like the child I pretend I am.

Before Afi could stop me, Joey does.

I frown at him.

"Bed. Now. You can play Cupid next week. I think it's best if you guys leave. I'll talk with you later." Joey instructs everyone, and everyone listens but me.

"Why are you so on edge?" I ask him, taking a seat.

"I can't win, will I?" He says quietly.

I give him a confused look.

"I really want to get along with him, but he is one step ahead. You have history. You know things I won't understand-"

I shake my head viciously, "no-no-no. Joey, we can easily turn this situation and make it into me you and Valerie-"

He cuts me off, "we both don't like her and have good reasons not to. You would never feel the way I do right now."

I chuckle, "back in Argentina when I first met her. I was put in an off mood when you told me you didn't want to go to a party with your ex-girlfriend. Then at the reunion. When she specifically worded her sentence to make me think you spent the night with her, I was jealous. You didn't even deny it until I went away from everyone. Joey, you are the first person I've ever told I love them. No one, other than you, not my parents, not my sister, not Lamar. Not Amarion and not even Afi. But you. You have nothing to be jealous about. You are the one I'm going home within the end."

"You were jealous when I told you Val is my ex?"

I can't with this man. Was that all he got!

I roll and face the other side of the room, "goodnight Joey."

"Wait!"

I stay silent.

I hear his footsteps. I feel his lips on my temple. "Buenas Noches Isabella." He whispers.

You know it's hard to stay mad at someone when they're attractive. Joey knows I won't stay mad at him when he uses his regular accent.

The following day.

Thomas is the one who will perform my surgery.

I trust him and feel very comfortable knowing that if I die, it'll be his fault.

...kidding...

I know that he knows what he's doing.

Right now, Joey and I are eating a late lunch. We haven't spoken all day, and I can't tell if it's supposed to be comfortable or not.

I don't feel like there's a problem.

As we finish, Afi shows up.

"I can feel the tension from outside. What's going on here?" She says immediately.

"I don't think anything's wrong. I don't understand why he is jealous of Amarion." I say nonchalantly.

Her eyes widen, "I'm not walking to this conversation. But Joey, Amarion is over her."

"Until I'm aware that he's not single-"

"He's not exclusive... but you didn't hear it from me." Afi rushes out.

"Secrets are no fun." I sigh.

Just then, Thomas enters the room.

"Hey, Thomas."

"Miss Jackson, please, it's Dr. Walker."

I smile, "please, Tom, it's Izzy."

He lightly shakes his head with a smile on his face.

"I promise you that you won't feel a thing. May I?" He asks in regards to moving closer to me.

I hum in agreement.

He hovers his pen over my chest, explaining that they will cut through the centre of it through the breast bone to get to my heart.

That most definitely doesn't freak me out.

"... then when we are done we'll staple the opening shut, and you'll be in the ICU for two days at most for your best recovery." He finishes.

Wait just a minute, "staple? Don't you mean stitch?"

"Would you prefer stitch?" I am asked.

"Umm, would it be more difficult to take out staples or stitches?"

"Stitches."

I scratch the back of my head uncomfortably, "forget I said anything."

"Izzy you are in good hands. I'll be back later when we put you under."

I give him a nod. And he walks away.

"So how scared are you now?" I hear Joey's voice.

I let out a breath, "Tom said I'm in good hands, and I will believe him... have you heard from my parents?" I ask Afi.

"No, but I have been in contact with your sister. Your parents want to reside here." I look at her like she's crazy.

"And they didn't tell me? Like I'm not going to be the one paying for it? They can't sell their house without me there."

"Call them. They are probably with Lamar." She suggests.

That's exactly what I do.

And she's right they are all together.

But they said it's not a good time and before I could reply, the call ended.

Wow.

I go to mother's contact, and it says it doesn't exist... she blocked me?

I'm not going to bother to check dads.

I'm surprised no one has called, not even Stella.

I don't know how to feel. My phone starts to ring, and I pick it up without checking the caller ID.

"Hey, Izzy!" I hear multiple voices.

They all have Spanish accents.

"Easterbrooks?" I question chuckling.

"We heard about your surgery and want to wish you luck." I hear Lola say.

"Izzy, you better come and visit me soon!" I hear Liv.

"Hold up. All of you need to come to me since I came to you last time."

"We will. Every single one of us." Now I know that's Bruno.

"Bruno, you aren't invited."

Joey takes my phone and puts it on the speaker. He starts speaking really fast in Spanish. Joey only does that when he doesn't want me to know something.

"Izzy, I hope you know that Joey just said that-"

And he ends the call.

A couple of hours later, Tom and the whole surgical team arrive.

I freeze up.

"Izzy, breathe. We will inject the anesthetic. It'll take a few moments to settle in, alright?"

I nod slowly and grab one of Joey's and Afi's hands.

And the injection goes in...

"Izzy, we'll be waiting. We'll be here when you wake up. And if we aren't, please don't act like you are dying like you do when you have a common cold." Afi jokes.

I can't help but laugh.

I look at Joey, and he has an unreadable expression.

"I love you." I give his hand a firm squeeze.

He leans down and kisses the top of my head, "I love you too." Is the only thing I hear before I slip into my unconscious.

...

I move my head a bit. My neck is so sore.

I can't really tell what's going on as something is pulled out of my mouth.

I open my eyes and squint as they adjust to the brightness of the room.

"Hey, baby." I see him lean in and immediately push my hand over his mouth.

I use my other hand to rub my face.

I am so confused right now.

I try sitting up and feel a slight pain in my chest. The memories flood back.

"Izzy, your hand?" Joey's words mumble, and I pull my hand away, looking at it with concern.

I felt a bunch of rough things on my hand.

Am I imagining things?

I look at Joey, and my eyes widen, "I- how long has it been?" I croak out, not realizing how dry my mouth is.

"About a week and four days... I wanted you to rest, and you recover faster unconscious," He says, giving me some of his water.

I nod, still looking at him with wide eyes until he questions me.

I blink several times before speaking, "You have a short stubble. Was I mistaken, or did you call me baby? When did that start?"

He shrugs then smiles and leans closer to me, "I haven't had time to shave. You like it?"

"I do. It's different. A good different." I say more to myself than him. It suits him.

I roll my eyes at him, "just because you get closer to my face doesn't mean I'm going to kiss you. Back off. I haven't brushed my teeth in a week and four days." And yet he doesn't move back at all.

Then I hear people walk through the door.

"Hey! You can make out later!" Afi.

"I told him I'm not kissing him till I get some paste and a brush in my mouth." I push his head away from mine.

I look towards where I heard Afi, and I become very tense.

I dislike being attached to the heart monitor because everyone can see and hear that my heart picked up.

My dad is here.

I won't lie. I'm still a bit upset that both my parents wouldn't speak to me before my surgery.

Dad approaches me, and I freeze up more, "I am so sorry, Izzy. Forgive me for not understanding." He says, gently holding me in an embrace.

I-I... did he- huh?

Dad? Vulnerability? Affection? Apologizing?

Never. Who is this man?

"Are you all sure I'm not hallucinating? Joey has a beard? Afi is wearing sweats and a hoodie? Dad just hugged me and apologized? Where's Tom? I need to see him now!"

I press the red button, and he comes running into the room.

He lets out a breath, "Izzy, don't press the button unless there's an emergency."

"Well, I am awake. I think that is an emergency. Anyway, I am hallucinating. This is all a dream. Tell me something only you would know."

"You get chills when you are checked with a stethoscope." He says humorously.

"Okay, okay. I'm not dreaming. Dad, I have absolutely no idea why you are apologizing." I face him.

He gives me a solemn look, and I ask everyone to leave the room.

Dad takes a seat on the edge of my bed.

"I talked to Lamar and Cyrus too. You feel like I am controlling, and I don't care about your feelings. Your mom convinced me that you'd be stronger without that side. She said I acted like your friend and a trainer, not as the leader of our household and threatened to leave me. I never knew about the things she told you. If I did I would've taken you away. I didn't know about the bullies. I thought you loved running."

"I do love to run. I owe it all to you for that. But have you never noticed why I would avoid you guys, especially when you were with Stell?"

He sighs, "I knew. I knew you despised your sister, and she despised you, and I did nothing about it except push you harder. Stella has a degree that she doesn't put to use. You have a high school diploma and reached for the stars. I've always wanted what was best for you."

I didn't want to say it, but I need to know, "so keeping Stella's secret was best for me?"

"You disappeared. And Stella sent the wrong text to your mother, and we all had a conversation. Your mom was enraged to find out, especially because of our relationship with the Jacobs family... considering you were supposed to wed that year. Out of Stella's pleads, I left Amarion alone, and she promised that she'll tell you when you were found. All this time, we thought you knew."

I nod. "Do you actually not like Joey?"

My dad smiles and looks at me, "if you guys win, you'll have my blessing. If not. You will still have my blessing. That man makes you far happier than you were with Amarion. He is good."

I sigh in contentment. But my mind goes to the other parent, "what about mom?"

"She is only tough on you because you aren't a dancer, don't think much of it. We both love you so much. I'll come by another time alright," Dad gives me a short hug before leaving.

I ponder in thought before Joey and Afi return.

"What's with the tears?" Joeys voice is in panic.

I didn't even realize it. I don't cry easily. I chuckle wiping them away and shaking my head.

This is the first time I'm crying yet feel no emotional pain. My soul feels somewhat restored.

"I can't wait for these six months to be over so I can train again. I already feel my abs disappearing," I pout.

"Bella, you can go home today if you'd like." I look at Afi.

"What's the catch?"

"Wheelchair-bound for a week."

I'll take it. When I tore my ACL, I forced myself into a wheelchair when I wasn't in the rehabilitation centre. I know my way around with one.

Tom is my personal Doctor and gladly said he'll check up on me in my home.

I am taking up one of the rooms on the main floor.

I can't move my upper body much, so Joey helps. It was very awkward the first day, and I needed to change my clothes. Joey and I stared at each other in silence until I told him to call my sister. Joey and I are not that comfortable in our relationship for the task at hand.

I've gotten better with Stella. Excluding the first day, she was helping me and asked me why my boyfriend wasn't. She put two and two together and teased us for a week. I don't know why my innocence is always taken as a joke. But Stell and I have come to a common ground between us. It's nice to finally meet my sister.

Joey is supervising my workouts. He doesn't realize it, but he mocks me when he gets to do the intense training I made for him, and I can't do it.

I am making sure my legs and arms are above my standards, so when the new year hits its core core core.

Two months later

Joey won't let me work out anything that affects the back torso or glutes. In his words, they'll affect the core, and it's too close to the chest for his liking.

It's getting on my nerves. I can walk and jog. He won't let me run.

I guess this is how he felt when I restricted his running.

Tom has cleared me for a steady recovery and said I can start my training.

Then the contract. The stupid contract I signed.

The dates are in there. If I don't see to these dates, I can't compete.

So I really cannot do any intense training till the New year.

Three months... just three...

January 11, 2022

It's Joey's birthday, and my gift to him is flying his family out here.

Well, they are already here. I had to sneak them in as he is shovelling outback.

They brought Bruno with them...

I do remember saying Elena, Lucas, Frank, Maria, Lo, Liv, and Liv's boyfriend. But it's fine. Bruno can stay if he stops freaking out about the snow! We are in Canada!

I have everyone in the living room.

I pick up my phone and call Joey.

I don't let him get a word out, "Joey, it hurts. I can't breathe my chest burns. I'm in the living room..." I breathlessly whine.

He runs in and covers my floor with snow!

"Joey! My floor!"

He glares at me, "if you were actually in trouble, do you think you would've cared that your floor is wet?"

I roll my eyes, "I thought he'd have a better reaction, but it's Joey. I expect nothing less."

It's like he snaps out of a trance and sees everyone in the room.

We go out for brunch. Everyone complained about how cold it was. Well, I'm sorry, you warm climate people.

Liv's boyfriend, his name is Mateo. He's nice. And I'm happy to know that Liv is certain about her feelings for him.

But honestly Frank and Maria have to be my favourites. They have this charm to them. That's how I want to be when I get older.

I love this family.

Three months later...

I've been working on my endurance since I haven't exactly run in over half a year.

I'm putting my core through the works. I know my body, and I know my pain tolerance. Lamar and my dad have teamed up in training me again. But we don't do much other than tone.

Joey worries that I'm pushing myself over the edge. I know my limitations, and this is nothing.

They should've seen me when I was in rehab. I was there for six hours more than the recommended time.

The definition of my abs is coming back. Joey better watch out. I'm coming out with a six-pack this time.

Soon I think I will be able to match Amarion's sprint. Maybe in two or three years.

Joey is simply too fast. After getting some better shoes and working on his feet, he's where I want him to be.

Amarion is going to have a rude awakening in a couple of months.

Two months later

My performance is at a place I never thought I'd reach.

But I still suck at high jump. I am so trash at it. It's not funny.

Joey is naturally good at every event. He's helping me perfect my formation. Apparently, my take-off is all wrong.

Oh, how the tables have turned.

We've only been together for a year, but it feels like so much longer.

The following month.

Three weeks = Showtime.

Hey you guys....

I honestly have nothing to say about this chapter it's long and self explanatory.

But I guess I should say happy birthday to.... Myself!

On this day (January 7, 2021) I Michelle (I still feel like some of y'all think my name is Maddonya) turned 17!

Yay me! (London Tipton voice)

Okay I'm done 🤣

Until tomorrow y'all.

(Ngl the next chapter is most likely a filler and my worst chapter... HAVE Fun.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.1K 1.1K 9
**DO NOT READ, IT'S ABSOLUTE SHIT. YOUR I.Q. WILL PROBABLY DROP DRASTICALLY IF YOU READ THIS. I WAS A STUPID, DENSE CHILD WHEN I WROTE THIS. PLEASE...
1.5M 38.9K 42
Used to be 'never underestimate the broken' Isabella is a independent, intelligent, food loving fifteen year old with a rocky past. When she's finall...
16K 1.2K 76
The sequel to The Love I Found. This book will contain major spoilers. Though it can be read as a stand alone, I strongly recommend reading The Love...
421 18 22
This is a completed story:). What's Going on? Two characters are going through two different lives on practically the other side of the world! One is...