Lost but Loved

By Gifted_Fire

Lucy Miller is a strange girl. A Lady unlike any other. She wishes to be a warrior maiden, unmarried. What ha... More

Chapter One: Brian is Back
Chapter Two: Cayden is a Nice Boy
Chapter Three: Fit to Date Royality
Chapter Four: Horse Rides and Boys
Chapter Five:The Meaning of a Man
Chapter Six: Lucy or Luke
Chapter Seven: Love and Pain Are a Package Deal
Chapter Eight: Meeting Sophie and Planning Revenge
Chapter Nine: Knight Marcus
Chapter Ten: Farewell Banquet
Chapter Eleven: Traveling to Stancely Part One
Chapter Twelve: Traveling to Stancely Part Two
Chapter Thirteen: The Life of a Farmer
Chapter Fourteen: Never Gonna Take Me (Pride)
Chapter Fifteen: Traveling Again
Chapter Sixteen: Princess Jane
Chapter Seventeen: The Veteran
Chapter Nineteen: A Royal Guest
Chapter Twenty: Sacrifice
Chapter Twenty One: The Wedding Night
Chapter Twenty Two: The Fight
Chapter Twenty Three: Revealing the Truth
Chapter Twenty Four: The Brothers
Chapter Twenty Five: A Match

Chapter Eighteen: Bitterness in the Air

13 0 0
By Gifted_Fire

The night was chilly as Lucy huddled near the fire. In her hands was a warm mug of tea, and she sipped from it as she stared up at the stars. The small lights winked back at her and she smiled, remembering how she used to lay out in the tall grass with her father and study the stars. He told her tales from the pictures in the stars.

Something was draped over her shoulders and she turned to see Lucas. "Thought you'd be cold, Commander." He sat down next to her and gazed up at the stars. "It's a chilly one tonight."

"Aye." She sipped from her mug and quickly glanced at him. Why had he put the blanket around her shoulder? Why the sudden act of kindness?

"Lucy, I must talk to you. Something has been bothering me deeply."

"Go ahead. I'll listen."

"My father, he has become very ill. My mother and I fear he will pass soon. But, I'm not ready for him to go. We don't have enough money to hire a healer to see if they will help his sickness. I fear I might not make it back in time to see him one last time."

Lucy bit her lip and patted his shoulder. She understood how he felt. It would be terrible to lose someone slowly. At least with her parents it was quick and they were gone. Not a long wait, stressing over if they'd make it through the night.

"I'm sure he'll be fine," she reassured.

"How can you say that?"

A tingling started in her fingers and she thought of his father. "Let him be well," she said in Welsh. The tingling left her fingers and she knew in her heart that her magic hit the target. "He will be fine. I promise, okay?"

Lucas looked doubtful, but he nodded.

"Commander, may I sit with you?" A soldier, in his late twenties maybe, came up behind them. Lucy glanced at Lucas who waved his hand, a translation for, go ahead.

"Yes, soldier. Can't sleep?"

"No, been thinking of my lady." Lucy raised an eyebrow and Lucas held in a chuckle. The man glanced at Lucy to see her look. "I mean my wife. I've been thinking about my wife."

Lucy still had her eyebrow raised. She wasn't interested in this soldier's life. She was on watch duty, and talking to Lucas was bad enough, now this fool felt he had to talk to her too. "It has been two months since she died. She died giving birth to our daughter. I miss her terribly and it's nights like these that make me miss her most."

Lucy felt sorry for the man. A tiredness swept over her, leaving her feeling drained of all energy or power. Her eyelids suddenly became drooped and she slumped forward, almost falling into the flames.

"Lucy!" Lucas caught her, but not before the man pulled out a dagger from underneath his cloak. Lucas sat her against a log and stood over her. "You dare to attack your commander?"

"She is no commander of mine." He shoved Lucas aside and cut Lucy's forearm. There was no response from her, no cry, no jerk, not even the fluttering of an eyelid.

"Men! Men! Rally for your commander, who has fallen by a comrade," Lucas's cry echoed out into the night. Men sprung from their tent's flaps with weapon in hand. They attacked the man and tied him up. Jane was woken and stumbled out in her nightgown.

"Lucy? Lucy! What's going on? I demand to know!" Jane wandered around, trying to find her friend, panic growing in her chest every minute.

"He shall hang for his treason! Ready him for the gallows!" Jane found Lucas and clutched his arm.

"Where's Lucy?" she asked, her eyes wide in fear.

His voice soft, he replied, "Come with me." He led her into his tent, where Lucy had been laid on the cot, a man standing over her, bandaging her arm. "I don't know what happened. She was strong and well one moment, and the next she slumped forward, almost pitching herself into the fire. That impostor cut her arm."

"She will be fine. I believe she has suffered worse and survived." Gently, the man pulled her shirt up to reveal a puffy scar across her stomach. He then lifted up her bangs to reveal another scar across her forehead, wrapping around her temple. "She is strong, there is no doubt. She'll wake soon."

"There, you see, Jane? Lucy is fine. You can go back to sleep now."

Suddenly, Lucy's arm shot up as she tried to grab Lucas's cloak. He bent down next to her so he could hear. She brought his ear to her lips as she whispered something in his ear. He was shocked and stared at her. She coughed and nodded once.

Lucas cleared his throat. After a moment of standing still and thinking, he swept back his cloak and strode out of the tent. "Men! All hear me when I issue these orders! We must move out now! The commander feels unsafe here and we must keep traveling. Gather everything, put out the fires, mount your steeds. Be ready in ten minutes."

The campsite became noisy as the men hurried to pack everything up in order to leave. The captain disappeared back into his tent. Jane had gone back to her tent to change into a dress. Lucy was being helped up by the man.

"Bring me my horse."

"No, Lucy. You'll be riding in the carriage with Lady Jane. You are in no condition to be riding a horse all night."

Her dark blue eyes searched his for a long time, fierce determination lighting them up. "I'm Commander, and I demand that I have my horse. Go fetch my mount." The man rushed to the tent door.

"No, stay here and help the commander." The man walked back to the girl's side.

"Fetch me my mount," Lucy ordered through clenched teeth. The man stayed where he was, uncertain of who to listen to.

"Lucy, you cannot ride."

She turned on Lucas. "I can ride and I will. Fetch my mount!" She pointed to the flap and the man rushed out before Lucas could stop him. Lucy stepped next to Lucas and whispered in his ear, "I've had worse injuries and have ridden a horse. I believe I am strong enough. It is just a little cut on my arm. We need to move though." Her eyes darted around the tent. "I feel as if something terrible is coming this way."

She clasped her cloak on and strode outside, Lucas by her side. "Captain, give me a report. Who was the man that attempted to murder his commander? What is his punishment?"

"Ah, yes. I have ordered him to be hung. No one has told me information on who he is." Lucas put his arms behind his back and studied the surroundings as they walked to the outside of the camp.

Lucy nodded. Her horse was brought to her. Stroking Orion's mane, she said, "Lucas, I fear I have started something that I cannot undo. That man must be an assassin."

"Lucy, don't be silly. He is just a mad man, looking to murder anybody."

"You don't understand!" Lucy turned around fast to stare at him. "I have started something, perhaps a war, because I am a commander. Or maybe that man knew my secret."

Now Lucas was intrigued. What secret could be so terrible as to have someone die because of it? "May I know this secret?"

Lucy gave a cruel laugh. "Only the man who dares to marry me will know of my secret." She turned back to her horse, a tear rolling down her cheek.

Lucas stepped forward to her side and gently wiped away the tear. "Dear Lucy, are you sure you can ride?"

"Yes," she whispered. "I am fine." She mounted her horse and sighed. "We will ride all night and day to get to Stancely. It is not safe out in the open. We must keep moving. Hah!" She kicked the white stallion and rode to the other side of camp, leaving Lucas by himself.

"Jane! Get in the carriage!" Lucy yelled.

"I am, don't rush me," Jane griped.

"Men! Hurry ourselves!" The men went about even more rushed as they put the last of the tents away on horseback. Then the men mounted and the carriage was readied. "Let's move, men!"

Lucy was happier when they were far away from the place where they rested. Her bow laid across her lap, her quiver strapped to her back. She rode up to Lucas at the front of the caravan and frowned when he smiled at her.

"Aren't you happy yet?"

"No," she whispered. She waved for him to be quiet. "Shush." Raising her bow, she took aim and fired. In the tall grass there was a yelp as a fox scampered away.

"A little paranoid?"

She brushed away a strand of lose hair, blushed and smiled. "I guess I am." Slowly, and while looking about her, she strung another arrow in her bow. "It's just, since I fainted, I had a vision."

Some of the men behind them burst out laughing and she spun in her saddle, bow raised and arrow aimed. Lucas chuckled and gently lowered her bow.

"I think you need some rest, Commander. That's not a suggestion, but an order."

"No, no, no." Lucy set her bow on her lap and wrung her hands. "If I fall asleep, I'll see it again. Don't wish that upon me, Lucas." She turned to him, her eyes desperate. "Don't wish that upon me." Tears trickled from her dark blue eyes and she nudged Orion to slow down so she could ride by the carriage.

Lucas was worried for her. What was happening? Why was she so bothered? He kicked his horse and nudged him forward. The lead man held his torch high, the quarter moon hidden by thick clouds. The carriage had torches on both sides, and half of the men carried them.

"Anything unusual seen?"

"No, sir. Well, a fox with an arrow in it's back ran across the path but that's it." Lucas hid his grin from the soldier.

"Aye, then keep up the pace. The commander is getting restless. A little paranoid but don't say anything."

The days went by with little stops. The nights were long with only four hours every night for sleeping. Lucy never retired to her tent. She had all the watches, making sure the men could sleep. For not having any sleep, she looked pretty well, and didn't seem tired. The men were starting to get tired though, and wanted a true night's sleep.

"We are so close. It'd be a shame to stop now." Lucy sat around the fire, talking to all the soldiers, including Jane.

"Commander, with all respect, we are tired. We can barely ride. If we were to be attacked, we wouldn't be able to fight well."

Lucy sighed and ran her hand through her hair. "But you men don't understand!" She stood in a fury and kicked over the coffee tin, spilling the grounds everywhere. "If we don't get there by sunset tomorrow, all of this traveling would have been for nothing. Can't you feel it?" Lucy threw her arms up in the air and stared up at the stars.

"It's starting. A war is brewing. We may not have till tomorrow's sunset." Lucy shivered. "No, we cannot stop. We must try to get the bride to Prince Jayce."

Lucy looked at her feet, feeling all the stares. "We must try. We need to protect our king and queen, we need the protection of the king and queen. Come on, men. Let us ride through the night. If you do not come with me, I will ride alone."

The men all exchanged glances. "Yes, Commander. We will ride with you."

"Good. Saddle up then." She swung herself onto her stallion's back and grinned. The firelight made her grin look fiendish and the men wondered if she wanted to kill them of exhaustion. "Come on, girlies. Man up and mount up."

The men groaned as they mounted and Jane went into the carriage and settled down for a nap with a sleepy grin. All men carried a torch, even Lucy and Lucas. The moon was new and the night dark. The pace was slow, and Lucy found herself quite ahead of the others after a short burst of nervous riding.

Dawn was fast approaching when they finally reached the bowl where the city lay. All lined up at the edge as the warm sunlight reached the city. Everything was peaceful, the people just starting their day, the horses neighing, the dogs baying. No other people stood at the edge of the hills, no advancing army, no committee of war.

Lucy searched, but found no threat to the city. She turned her head and heard a soldier mutter, "She's gone crazy. Don't know why we followed her. She's a loon."

She bit her lip and held her chin high. Maybe it was a false alarm. But that cold chill hung in the air. "Come, men. We ride into our city at last and are welcomed home!" Some horses reared and the men charged home. Lucy laughed as Orion reared and raced down the hill with the others. The carriage horses were more gentle and were last to reach the bottom.

The gates were opened and the streets were filled with cheering people. Lucy rode next to the carriage and waved. This was a big difference from the first time she came in. Jane peeked out and waved to all the people. They reached the steps and waiting for them was the royal family, all dressed in their best. Jayce walked down the steps to the carriage. Lucy jumped off her horse and helped Jane out.

"Hello," Jane said timidly in the new language.

"Hello! You speak Welsh?" Jayce smiled at her as he lead her up the stairs. Jane's brow furrowed and she turned to Lucy for help.

"Your majesty." She bowed and smiled. "Lady Jane only knows a little of your language. She has been learning though." They reached the top with the other royals.

"Your highnesses." Lucy curtsied. When she straightened up, Jani rushed to hug her.

"Oh, Lucy! Why did you run away? I've missed you dearly!"

Lucy smiled as she hugged her friend. "As I've missed you."

"Let us go inside. Tonight, there will be a wonderful feast!" King Jasper announced. The men behind Lucy cheered.

"Make sure my men get what they want."

"Commander!" Lucas came up to Lucy with a raised eyebrow. "Aren't we forgetting something?" He pointed to her arm.

"Oh, yes." She turned to the family. "I will meet up with you soon. I have some business I must attend to." She ran down the stairs with Lucas and went to the group of men.

"Strange, isn't she?" Jane was at a lost, not knowing what they were talking about. She followed them into the castle though and could smell the preparations for supper being made.

Lucy stood in front of the man who was in stocks. They all led him down the street to where the gallows were. "You shall hang for your treason. Do you have any regrets?"

"None, except that I wasn't able to kill you."

Lucy nodded and stroked her sword hilt. "I see." They continued in silence, and as the gallows came into sight, the man struggled to free himself. "Struggling will get you nowhere." She now tapped her hilt, tasting a bitterness in the air.

They reached the platform and the men strung him up. They were ready to drop the platform when Lucy shouted, "Wait, men. I want to cause him pain." She rushed up the steps to the platform and sliced down his arm. The man yelped but was otherwise silent. "How does it feel?"

She then slashed at his belly, his intestines falling out. "Please," he pleaded, blood dripping out of his mouth. His eyes rolled back. Lucy backed away and gave the signal to drop him. He dropped and was dead. She nodded once, sheathed her sword and started to walk to the castle, leaving them to deal with the dead man.

Lucy stopped in the room she had stayed in to change into the fire dress. She still had her sword strapped to her and placed her hat lovingly on the bed. Silently, she walked into the royal's room and smiled. She sat next to Jane and noted that all the children were there.

"Lucy, you forgot something when you left." Jasmine got up and opened a side door. A red wolf pounced out and attacked Lucy.

"Alec!" Lucy scratched behind his ears. "Hello, boy! Have you been good? Oooh, the little wolfie." Lucy put her face into his soft fur. When she sat up, Alec licked her face. "I hope he hasn't been any trouble."

"Oh, no. The dog trainers loved him. A tame wolf! They couldn't believe it, especially that a girl tamed him." Lucy blushed at Jacob's words.

"Well, thanks for taking care of him. He means a lot to me. Now I have Alec. I miss Maelgwn though."

"Have I missed anything?" A tall man with braided black hair entered the room.

"Knight Marcus! Welcome. No, you have not missed anything, friend." The king clapped the knight on the back. He sat down and noticed Lucy.

"Ah, Lucy. You've come back."

"Yes, uncle. I've returned."

"You look wonderful, Lucy." He smiled.

Lucy smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "Thank you, Marx."

"Well, the feast will be served later on. We need to start discussing the wedding." Jade's eyes lit up as she spoke. "There's the food to prepare, the guests to think about. And mind my words, it will be a splendid wedding."

Lucy sat next to Jane and repeated everything to her so she would understand. She squealed. "I've always wanted a beautiful wedding."

"Of course, we'll have to find the best seamstress in the kingdom to make the bride's gown."

Jane's face lit up with a bright smile.

"Um, your majesty, I don't mean to interrupt, but I must excuse myself. There's something I forgot." Lucy climbed to her feet and was stopped by Jane.

"How will I know what they are saying?"

"Marcus can translate for you. Can't you Marcus?"

"I suppose I could." He stared at his niece with respect. She was a smart one.

"Good, I need to leave." She walked out with her head held high. The dress swooshed around her legs as she walked down the corridors. Her stomach led her into the kitchen where she stole a small piece of roasted chicken. The taste was savory and seasoned well. It made her mouth water. She would have to have some tonight at the feast.

She knew where she wanted to go, but not sure how to get there. Somehow, she found herself up on the ramparts, looking out over the city. Leaning against the wall, she breathed in the still bitter air.

Why was the air so bitter? She had thought there'd be a battle by now. What happened? Was her gut just acting up? The sky was darkening. Maybe the invaders wanted the night for cover. At night, they would have their feast and the enemy would be able to create chaos and take over. Lucy shuddered.

"Found you." Lucy spun around to find a young man with pale blond hair and kind green eyes. He grinned and opened his arms.

Lucy smiled and rushed to embrace him. "Trace!"

He chuckled. "Yes. I thought I'd find you up here. Do you feel it too?"

Lucy nodded, knowing he meant the bitterness in the air. "There's a war to be fought, Trace. I believe I'm the reason it will start."

"What do you mean?" They both leaned against the wall, elbows on the top of the wall, looking over the city. The people were preparing for a special feast tonight.

"I had a vision."

His frown turned into a grin. "So you know now."

"You knew?"

"Since I first saw you." His grin widened.

"Can you tell me what I can do?"

"Only you know your limits. But I understand what you mean. You're a healer, which explains how you are still alive with all your battle wounds. You are also gifted with animals. That's why Maelgwn and Alec are tame."

Lucy smiled. "Well, anyway. I had a vision of a huge army rushing down into the valley. And another where a huge beast threatened to kill me. 'Only the blood of Fallor, can open the door.'"

"Hm." Trace rubbed his chin as he gazed out over the city, watching the sun sink. "That sounds like a prophecy. But only part of one." Trace shivered, a frown crossed his face for a short second before he smiled again.

"Come, Lucy. I feel no threat coming this way. I believe the feast is almost ready for us to attend. Let us check on the royals."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

569 13 55
In a world full of lies and secrets, Hilda, a princess, comes of age. Through the darkness of being told who she should marry, she falls in love for...
6.7K 368 15
Orphaned at the age of ten, Blake found himself fighting in the streets and learning to fend for himself. His new life at the university was going we...
Remember Me By IvanaM

Historical Fiction

16.9K 607 25
Far away from her Kingdom, Rosalie wants revenge. Four years ago, a new King arrived and banished women from his Kingdom, leaving only men to become...
1M 27.5K 43
It was her dream to be able to join Fairy Tail, the strongest guild in all of Fiore. But now, was she really all that joyful that she joined that gui...