The Obsessive Villainess Vol...

By icarus_rising97

"Don't touch that man." "Why not?" "He has a beast guarding him." I am that beast; Nora. I woke up as the vil... More

1. The price of loving you was death.
2. An abandoned cat with a collar
3. My death was written when you said "I'll protect you."
4. We met in a funeral so what can you expect?
5. Ichor is fatal for mortals
6. Sticking to trash will dirty my pretty dress.
7. You think you have a say?
8. Teach me how to kill.
9. Witness to my despair.
10. It's your turn to find me, dear
11. Two selfish fools
12. The Prince of Self-Ruin
13. What the flowers told me
14. All I have are excuses.
15. The fairy that came out to play
16. We're on the Titanic, my love
17. I'll catch you. I promise.
18. At war with the butterflies
19. A Spider's Kiss
20. I'll protect myself anyway.
21. Anger.
22. Two Kids
23. A boy dressed in flowers
24. Hollow
25. The irony of temptation
26. Light is easy to love.
27. Go ahead and cry little girl
28. Found a place to rest my head
29. I'm too weak to let go of this hand.
30. A trampled-on trifle
31. Sorry I'm sensitive
32. Monochrome Characters
33. I'm glad I drank.
35: You thought I'd let you go?
36. I'll make you love red again.
37. Full moon night of no stars

34. Hey, will you last with me?

8.2K 609 190
By icarus_rising97

Chapter 34: Hey, best friend, will you last? No? So not even this time, huh...

I watched from my spot from a low tree branch as the golden-haired main lead practiced sword-fighting with his purple-haired aide/friend. Caeles swiftly lunged forward and the boy dodged, having experience with Caeles' moves for quite a few years now. If I remember right, he was Caeles' sword teacher's son I think.

A refreshing smirk spread across Caeles' face as he fought and I thought about how charming he looked as the golden sunlight reflected on him. It seemed like the colour was made for him, with how often I related it to him.

Cassian and he had come to bid me goodbye. My father and I were leaving the capital for good tomorrow and so the brothers were invited to dinner, and it was decided that they might as well stayover today. Cassian was discussing somethings with him inside, and Caeles always felt stuffy indoors so he was spending time outside in my garden. I also came here once I heard because how could I miss an opportunity to watch the main lead's sword skills? Also, it was a beautiful time of day with the sunset close enough, giving the world that golden glow. Once upon a time, I would have tried taking selfies in this light. Damn, I can't wait for cameras to be invented already. It's gonna be a few years down the line though, I think.

A photograph...

I thought about it.

If I could take a picture of anything now, what would it be?

I didn't have to think so hard. If I could take a picture of anything right now, it would be of something special to me. Something I couldn't take to Ilaria with me. So that I could look at it and relish in the memories.

If I had a camera right now...

I'd take a picture of you, Risor.

Two days ago, I giggled, running through the garden with a pocket watch in my hand. It had detailed daisies engraved on it, along with Victorian patterns decorated the rose gold metal. Risor was running after me, and I circled a tree, teasing him.

"Come on, I told you!" I peeped from a corner and rushed back when he jumped towards me. We laughed as I continued to run, poking fun at him. "I'll give you a gift if you catch me!"

I had bought it when Mr. Viridis had taken me shopping that day. It caught my eye in the store we walked into. There's something so pure but mischievous about daisies, isn't there? I thought about Risor as soon as I laid my eyes on it. And now, I laid my eyes on him just as he finally grabbed onto my shoulder, his hand slipping grip and sliding down my forearms till his fingers were softly holding my elbow. I grinned at him and he turned away hiding his face; quickly letting go and stepping back. It's too bad he was always so shy. I'd felt his warmth in that moment.

"Alright. I keep my promises." I pursed my lips. "Actually, I don't manage to usually, but I do try with you." I grinned and held out my open palm which had the gorgeous little pocket-watch in it. Risor looked at it with wonder, not yet reaching out. So I huffed a little, and leaned forward to softly grab his hand, and brought the gift onto his palm. I pushed it towards him and he immediately felt at the engravings with his fingertips.

Then, an actual daisy was manifested into his hand, which he then held out towards me. I touched its petals and listened to its voice.

"It's so nostalgic. I had one so similar to this..." He smiled softly at me, and I returned it; both of us trying to ignore the little painful pang in our chests at the thought of all that he had lost.

"Did you know," I spoke up, to interrupt the mood. "Daisies also symbolize new beginnings?"

He looked up at me and I nodded at him, with an encouraging smile. "Once we go back to Ilaria, let's live refreshingly. Away from this rotting mansion."

I'd expected him to grin back and agree with me. But instead, I watched as a sad frown made its way to his face. He looked down as the daisy spoke.

"I'm not going to Ilaria, Nora."

I blinked at him. For a moment, I thought I'd heard wrong.

"What's that?" I asked him, feeling ridiculous. A sort of anxiety was already setting in. If it was a joke, I didn't like it.

Risor bit his lip and looked up at me with sad furrowed brows.

"I can't go back yet."

What nonsense.

"Is it because you need permission? Of course I'll convince my dad. The marquess will take you back so why are you worrying about that?" I forced a smile, thinking it was a silly concern. But something told me that wasn't it.

Risor still didn't smile back at me. Instead, he sighed softly.

"It's not that. I can't go back to Ilaria yet. I need to stay here."

What the fuck are you talking about? I had to stop myself from blurting out these words.

"No, what are you saying, Risor? Why can't you come back? I'm telling you everything is alright, and we can go to Ilaria together and... and your mother is there too. What are you saying?"

I'm going into a new world, again. I can't do it without you. You supported me when I arrived here. How am I supposed to go anywhere without you?

Not to mention... I am completely straying from the book, and it hasn't even begun yet. I don't know what the consequences will be and I need my support. I need Risor.

Risor closed his eyes and shook his head. "I can't leave the capital yet. I need to stay. There's a reason for this."

"But why?!" My voice was inching higher, and louder. I couldn't comprehend this at all. "Why can't you come with me?!"

Risor didn't reply anymore. He pressed his lips together and watched me sadly, having said all that he needed to.

A breath of disbelief left my lips. "Are you joking with me right now? It's not very funny. I know I play with you all the time but this isn't funny."

He didn't say anything, but a crease was visible between his eyebrows. He looked pained.

"You're serious? You're saying you want to stay here? Here in this rotting house? Are you for real?"

Silence.

"But why?" Why the fuck? "Why can't you tell me?"

Risor averted his eyes and now stared at the ground, blocking me out. He really wasn't going to tell me. I couldn't understand this at all. The least he could do is tell me why.

"Risor, didn't you promise me you'd protect me? Is this how you'll do it? How will you protect me from here? How will I protect you?"

I was playing dirty. I didn't care. How could I leave him here, for any reason at all? How could I let him leave my side like this?

Risor looked genuinely pained. He timidly shook his head and looked down.

"Not yet. I need to stay here. Please understand."

I furrowed my brows tightly, unable to hold back my glare, my irritation and my confusion. What is it? What is his weakness? What can I tell him so that'd he'd come with me no matter what? Maybe I can guilt him. But how?

"What am I supposed to understand? You're not even telling me! We could just go back together, your mother is also there so what's the problem?!" I prodded him, feeling really uncomfortable all of a sudden. Like I wasn't getting through to him. Ah, yeah. Frustrated. I was feeling frustrated.

A crease appeared between Risor's dark eyebrows and he tilted his head helplessly at me.

"Please understand."

"Tch. Shut the fu-" I stopped myself. What the fuck was I doing, getting angry like this? Shit, I need to control myself. "Risor, just come back with me. Are you telling me you want to stay here in this rotten mansion?"

"I can't leave yet..." The flower spoke to me and I grit my teeth. I grabbed it and crushed it, surprising Risor.

"Fine!" I growled. "Fine, then. Rot here, and see if I care! Agh!" I threw the thrashed flower to the ground and turned around to stomp out. Two steps. Perhaps that's all I could take.

I walked two steps away from him and stopped myself. I brought my hands to my face. I should turn around. But I mumbled with my back to him.

"I'm sorry, Risor- uh?"

Before I could continue speaking, I felt something tightly grab my hand. And it tugged.

I was pulled backwards toward the dark-haired boy. My body turned and before I knew it, he was tightly holding both my hands in his own. He leaned down to match my eyes, with a desperate look. Something tickled at my fingers and this time, a peach coloured rose was formed between our palms.

"Just for some time, Nora," the flower spoke. "Just give me some time."

Time...?

"I'm not leaving without you," I muttered to him and his eyes widened, before he exhaled. He shut them and shook his head. He focused on me, leaning closer, trying to persuade me.

"You should go with your father. This house isn't the place for you. You belong to Ilaria, Nora."

"You can say whatever the f- you can say whatever you want, but I am not going to Ilaria alone." You're blathering all this but won't even tell me why you're letting go of me. Just for some time? Don't bullshit me. I know you're going to leave me. I won't let you. Fuck... why, Risor?

"Nora..." the voice of the flower sounded so sad. I almost want to pick it apart again. Do you even mean this sadness? "How about..."

As if a light suddenly came over him, Risor's eyes widened. In the next moment, he changed his grip on the rose and pulled it away from me, wrapping his hand tightly around it. I gasp, almost screeching with horror. "What are you doing?!" I yelled, lunging forward to pull it away from him, but now he voluntarily brought it towards me. I stared at him with shock, my fingers suddenly touching the clear peach petals as blood dripped down his palm, trailing down his wrist. I felt a prick in my heart, as if the thorns had pierced at me instead of him.

"Are you fucking insane, Risor?" I snapped, and at my words he flinched, even though he hadn't even wavered a bit as thorns pierced his skin a moment ago. I removed a handkerchief, letting go of the petals he'd pushed against my fingers. I won't listen to anything he has to say before I tend to him. He shook his head, stubbornly pushing the flower towards me again, but this time as I pushed it away, in that moment of contact I could hear his words.

"Blood oath."

I froze.

"What?" I murmured.

I reached towards the petals, as blood continued to stain its stem.

"It's a blood oath. There really is a reason I can't yet leave the capital. I swear that it's true and that I wish I could come with you, or tell you, but I cannot. However, Nora..."

He leaned down a little to make sure we were looking into each other's eyes as the next words were murmured.

"I don't need or want an oath from you... but a promise. Just your words to calm my heart."

He pierced his skin and drew blood just to prove that he meant his words...? I still...

"What promise?" I furrowed my brows with a sadness that overcame me, from within my chest. I felt my lips pout a little. I caused this. I should have just believed him.

At my expression, he too frowned and for a moment, I felt his hand tremble. He raised his unwounded hand up towards me, and let it hand in a air for a moment. Then slowly, his fingers inched closer. I felt his warmth first, a strange tingling, and then his skin was on mine. Gently touching at my cheek as I watched him.

"Please promise me that you'll ask for me again. That you'll ask me to come to Ilaria again."

He breathed out, a crease appearing between his dark brows. His golden eyes looked so sombre and deep. I saw a desperation.

Don't forget me here, even though I can't come to you now. Please give me time. Please wait for me.

My hand reached up to my face where he'd bravely kept his fingers. I gently covered his fingers with my own and tilted my head into them a little.

"Anything for you," I murmured to him. "Anything for you."

And finally, he gave me a small smile. I felt the flutter of wings in my heart, the feeling of a feather, a bird in flight. Just for a moment. I didn't smile back. My frown only deepened as I continued.

"Don't forget what you just said," I told him. In that moment, he brought up the bloody rose we both held.

"I swear to you."

I nodded. And turned around, taking away all contact from him. I walked back towards the mansion. I needed a drink.

Tch. How come no best friends ever last?

But not this time. I'm not letting go so easily this time.

"Caeles," I drawled out from my spot in the tree and he turned towards me, taking a break.

"What?" He replied stolidly, barely glancing up at me.

"I need to get down," I told him, as if it should be a matter of great concern to him. He made a face at me, as his friend glared at me. "I wanna get dooown," I repeated, swinging my legs back and forth impatiently.

"Climb down as you climbed up," his friend spit out and I raised my eyebrow at him.

"Are you Caeles?" I asked and then shrugged. "Would you rather catch me then?"

The boy gave me an incredulous look and went to open his mouth when Caeles interrupted, irritatedly furrowing his brows at me. "Can you have some manners for just one day?" He clicked his tongue as he made his way towards my tree and I held out my arms towards him, like a child asking its favourite person to be picked up. "You stick to and fawn over my brother, but you'd just fall into the arms of any boy besides him?" He muttered, and opened his arms, positioning himself properly under the branch. I rolled my eyes and leaned forward, letting go. I felt the thrill, and then I felt him.

He still had me in his arms as I asked him. "Then what about you?"

"What about me?" He cocked his head. I imitated him teasingly.

"What makes you any different from him? The random boy."

At my words, he blinked. He looked genuinely stunned. I laughed, and bit into my apple.

"You, too, would let any girl into your arms, Caeles?" I teased and, of course, he dropped me. I clicked my tongue at him, barely managing to not lose my balance.

"Of course not!" He said, fixing his clothes. "I have only ever caught you."

Wow. That sounds a bit... special? "Aww," I gave him such a grateful smile, placing a hand over my chest. "Bless your heart, how sweet." Then I tilted my head with a tricking question. "But why?"

He didn't know how to reply. He probably realized how any reason he gave would mean he was saying with his own words that I, Eleonora Sollea, was somehow, special to him. And what a horror!

After a moment, he clicked his tongue. "You're right," he snapped. "Why indeed. I should have left you stranded up all those times. Hell, if you fall. What's it to me?"

Ahhhh! I wanted to laugh so bad. So I did, and I moved towards him, grabbing at his arm. "No, no, no, I'm sorry," I giggled, "I thank you for catching me. It was so nice of you, what a gentleman. Please continue to always catch me, okay? You just did what you had to do, all those times. What a great fellow!"

He turned away from me, trying to jerk his arm away, so I moved around him, leaning to look at his face. He had his lips pressed together. "You really are nice, you know that?" I continued with the butter and he finally sighed.

"If you don't stop making fun of me right this instant..."

Then what?

I wanted to tease him further but I leaned back and raised my hands in surrender. I shouldn't push him too much at once if I want to continue enjoy teasing him for a long time.

But I made sure to give him a smile. It was a genuine smile. My mood was so much better now. When I'd first poked at him today, in honesty I was trying to remove my frustration because Risor hadn't listened to me. I wanted Caeles to listen to me. I wanted to make sure I was heard, and so I tried to disturb him. Maybe it was some sort of twisted way of feeling in control. Maybe that's why I always try to annoy him?

"I'm sorry," I said gently again and he raised an eyebrow at me.

"Don't be," he replied, surprising me. I tilted my head questioningly, but he gave me a smile that was very similar to my own. He narrowed his sharp eyes at me. "After all..."

"I'll get back at you, Nora."

Suddenly, a glowing line of fire was formed on an apple hanging on the tree above my head, cutting it off and making it fall. Caeles casually leaned forward closer to me, and reached out his hand beside my head. He caught it just before it hit me. I didn't even know it was falling. I blinked at him with surprise, not just because of the apple, but because of how close his face was to me. His scent wafted towards my nostrils and I could see the purple and blue lines and dots in his fucking unbelievably beautiful eyes. My lips parted in surprise and his eyes flickered towards them for a moment as he noticed their movement. He leaned back and bit into his apple just as I'd done while teasing him.

"For all these years I was stuck with you. I'm someone who's known you the most," he watched me deeply, with a slight smirk. There was a hint of a dangerous aura. "Even the things you tried to hide from brother, I know."

He moved to walk past me in a relaxed manner as he muttered.

"Don't get too comfortable, Nora." His shoulder brushed across mine. I felt his warmth in that contact and for some reason was reminded of when I was held tightly in his arms just a moment ago. His voice was playful but dangerous as it echoed towards me. As if he was excited to do something bad. A mischief. Oh dear... I felt a touch of doom as he spoke his next words, which were no less of a threat as he walked away from me, joining his friend. The golden boy said to me.

"I can play you too."

"Pfft." I smirked to myself and whispered under my breath. These two had been pranking and hurting each other for years now, but he had quietened down after my amnesia. But if he wants to play...

"Bring it on, Goldie."

***

Not edited.

After about one or two more chapters, I am thinking of continuing the rest of the story in a book 2, as this book already has about a 100,000 words...! You've really lasted that long! You really read all that! I don't even have words for how grateful I am to you!

And... genuinely... would you read book 2? I am planning on making it a lot more fast paced once Nora gets to Ilaria. There's a bunch of plot events that need to happen, and I've been excited for the longest time to write them. I hope it goes well! And maybe, just maybe, we might get happier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg wowow

Thank you for reading. Truly, thank you. Please continue with book 2 as well...!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

558K 23.9K 87
After enduring years of pain as a consequence of being confined by my Yandere stepbrother, I was finally freed from my misery by an unfortunate house...
1M 33.8K 91
(Highest Ranked: #24 in Fantasy/Magic) THIS IS AN ORIGINAL STORY (2nd Book is already up on my Profile; This one is Complete) I died and when I woke...
806K 29.8K 31
[Completed] Warning : The story is unedited. I apologize for the numerous grammatical errors within and messy storyline. *** After my death, I'm grat...
14.9K 831 48
Imagine, just for a second, let's imagine you end up somehow travelling into your favourite book. Then you started working your magic and you cosy u...