The Rose of Lancaster | The...

By wildroses05

-𝑂𝑛𝑙𝑦 π‘œπ‘›π‘’ 𝑀𝑖𝑙𝑙 π‘ π‘‘π‘Žπ‘›π‘‘ π‘Žπ‘‘ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ 𝑒𝑛𝑑 π‘œπ‘“ 𝑖𝑑 π‘Žπ‘™π‘™- It's the year 1466 and King Edward I... More

Cast
Prologue
Captured
The New Queen
A Feast for Victory
Winter Sunsets
And as the years go by
By our will, you both shall die
Return to Westminster
What is true, what is not?
A storm is brewing
The loss of one so innocent
The Bad Queen
Now the battle begins
Vows
Airs of mist
Reunited
Little Prince
What I need
The Last attack
And to peace
Anne
Ghosts
Trouble and mindless pleasure
The Yew Garden
The Hunt
To escape a Duke
From this day Forth
Fortune's wheel
Middleham
Time and chance
Edmund
The Darkness of Shadows
For my sake
Another War
Old Curses
Life and Death
Treason
My Heart is in Pieces
Terrors of the Subconscious Mind
A Fool's Death
O, Amari
Nothing, if not Family
And so Sets the Sun in Splendour
Interception and Dejection
To Negotiate with a King
Deeds of Death
Dreamer of Dreams
Checkmate
The Righteous Usurpers
Blood and Betrayal
Time after Time
Marian, by the Grace of God
Those who are Loyal
Sweet Child of Mine
For Your Own Good
Three Sons of York
Pleasure in Paradise
Memento Mori
Bittersweet
Call to Arms
Harry
So Close, So Far Apart
The Princes in the Tower
Sanctuary
Eternal Curses
The Arrival
Roses were Red
Unbeknown to Most
The Final Goodbye
Come Back To Me
Halls of Whispers
For I Am All Alone
Where my Heart Lies
Demons of Paradise
Broken are the Beautiful
Love Conquers All
Honour and Glory
The Final Battle
The Story Continues...
The Rose of Lancaster Playlist

The landing of the Red rose

1.7K 50 0
By wildroses05

March 1471, Valognes, France...

"She's done it!" She's had a son, Goddam it!" Marian woke with a start, quickly pulling up the bedsheets as her brother burst into her room.

"Who, what? Who's had a son?" She asked, startled.
"That Woodville bitch! We have just had word that she gave birth to a son in sanctuary last November, LAST NOVEMBER, Marian! How did we not know sooner?!"
"You are sure of this?" She pulled on a bed robe
"Yes I am sure! But I suppose it should not matter...she is no longer Queen and any children she has had with that York pretender are bastards in the eyes of God!"
'You wish' Marian thought
"Ma mère says we are to sail for England immediately! Not only has the Woodville woman had a son but according to our spies the pretender has raised an army intending to take back the throne!"
"What?! He's alive?!"

After news of York's defeat had reached France there had been a rumour that Edward and the rest of the York's fleeing from England had been caught in a storm and drowned. Having no word to insinuate anything different, Marian had begun to believe the rumours, causing her to go into a miserable state when she was alone. Now, a spark of hope flickered within her.

"A-and what of his brother?" She dared ask
"George?"
"No...Richard"
Edward have her a strange look but then replied
"They say he is sailing with his brother"
Marian nodded, trying her best to contain the smile that threatened to show on her face. Richard was alive! He was alive! Not dead at the bottom of the ocean! Alive! "We cannot let the York's take back the throne, Marian. We will win this!" And with that, her brother turned on his heel and almost stomped out.

Once he had gone Marian could hardly contain herself that she grabbed Meg and pulled her into a fierce embrace when she entered her chambers.

"Christ, Marian! Do you intend to crush me?!"
"Sorry meg! It's just, they are alive! Richard and Edward are alive!"
"But...the rumours?!"
"I know! I though they were true as well but my brother has just told me otherwise! They are sailing to England and we are going to as well!"
"Well I think we had best get packing then! We have a long journey ahead of us."
Marian simply smiled and sat down at her dressing table, her hope restored to her.

༒༒༒

The wind blew fiercely as the Lancastrian forces made their way down the beach. Marian, Anne, Meg and Countess Warwick clung all clung onto each other, fearing they would be blown away if they let go.
"It is madness sailing into this wind!" Anne cried
"The captain claims it is safe!" Her mother replied
"Yes, with a blade held to his neck!" Marian said

After bidding the countess safe travel (as she was to travel with the fleet. So was Meg) Marian and Anne headed below deck to where Margaret was waiting, pacing the already soaked floor of her cabin. As they were about to enter, Anne stopped in her tracks.
"Please, don't leave me Marian..."
Marian took Anne's hands, looking her in the eye
"I'm not going anywhere, Anne. I'll be right here with you the whole journey. We can even share a cabin if you should like. Do not fret, we shall reach England before you know it..." hearing the boat creak, Marian wasn't sure how true that last part was.

Maintaining a gentle grip on her friend's hand, Marian pushed open the door to her mother's cabin and entered.

"Ah, Marian! I have been waiting for you! I have formed a plan and wish to share it with you." Margaret looked at her daughter and then to Anne who began to leave before being gently pulled back a little by Marian
"I'm sure Anne can stay, ma mère. After all, she is family now" she squeezed the girl's hand.

The Lancastrian Queen rolled her eyes
"As you wish! Now, take a seat ma chérie and I shall tell you what we are to do"
"What about Edward?" Marian saw Anne flinch at his very name.
"Your brother can wait" Margaret began to clear her desk, making room for the many maps and charts she then dumped onto the wooden surface. "Here, take a look at these"

Marian picked one of the scrolls up, quickly scanned its contents.
"A list of Lancastrian nobles, mother?"
"Nobles who will flock to our cause and fight by our side...your side. They shall follow wherever you lead."
"Mother?"

"You knew that I would have you fight if the pretender raised opposition to us and now that he has your time has come. You have been training for the past months and you are very good, Marian." Margaret sighed "It seems that George has gone back over to his brother's side. The three sons of York are re-United and they are a threat to us, ma chérie. Once we reach England you shall take some of our men and ride to meet up with Warwick. I expect you to keep an eye on him Marian, we do not want him turning back to York although I would say there is little chance of that now"

'I'm sorry to say it's not him you should be worrying about' Marian thought as her mother spoke.
She was going to go into battle but she could not, she would not, fight for Lancaster. How she would do this she knew not, yet but immediately set her brain to working on a plan that would help bring about a York victory.
"Yes ma mère. Now, if it pleases you I should like to retire"
"Yes, yes. I shall see you later ma chérie, Anne"

Both girls curtsied before heading to Marian's cabin, siting on the bed in silence.
"You are not going to fight for Lancaster, are you?" The question from Anne startled Marian but she turned her head towards the girl and shook it.
"How did you know?"
"By your reaction to your mother's plans. You completely froze up and then I just knew that you were no longer for Lancaster. Of course, I have had my suspicions for months but this confirmed it...I'm glad you are for York. Now they might have a chance at winning!" Anne laughed.

"I am sorry I will have to part from you...I said just earlier that I would stay by your side..."
"I think I will be able to manage for a little while on my own...but you must promise to somehow rescue me if you are victorious..."
Marian sat up
"Of course I will! With any luck York shall win the coming battle and then hopefully Lancaster shall be defeated and you can be reunited with Isabel. You will be safe"
Anne's face brightened a little
"I should like to see Issy very very much"
"And so you shall, soon. I promise."
"Promise?"
"With all my heart"

༒༒༒

That night the sea heaved, sharp bolts of lightning cracked through the sky, causing little shards of light to pass through the windows of the cabin. Feeling sick, Anne rushed to the bucket at the other end of the room, Marian not far behind, holding her hair back for her as the girl retched. Suddenly, Margaret burst into the cabin, clinging onto the walls.

"Oh please, go up on deck and take some air! It smells of bile and fear in here"
"I'm fine, your grace, really" Anne said, looking up for a moment
"Really? I have seen heads on spikes looking healthier than you. Now, clean yourselves up. England is in sight."

Gently taking her arm, Marian raised Anne to her feet and together they stumbled to the bed where their cloaks were. They quickly pulled them on and ,linking hands, made their way up to the top of the deck where Margaret was, staring out into the sea where the vague outline of land could be seen.

"Not long now" she said, hearing the girls approaching behind her despite the strong winds. "We shall reach the shore by morning. Can you feel it girls? We are so close, so close now to securing our power. Just a little longer and we shall be victorious"
Marian and Anne looked at each other.

As the sun rose in the east and the weather at long last calmed, the Lancastrian fleet began to land on English soil. Thousands of troops descended from the ships, marching in formation, the Lancastrian standard flying high. As Marian and Anne sat on the sand dunes an armed Lancastrian soldier came towards them, bowing as he stood before them.
"Your grace" he said to Marian "the Queen tells me that your troops are ready and that it is time for you to depart. The battle is to be at Barnet and so that is where you shall ride"

"Thank you, tell her I shall go directly" the man bowed again and walked away
"Be safe, Marian" Anne said, pulling her friend into an embrace.
"I will try. Be strong, Anne. We shall be together again soon"
"I shall pray each day and night until we are"
The girls gently pulled away from each other and smiled as best they could before Marian stood from the sandy bank and began to make her way towards Meg who had now reached the beach and was waiting by some horses and Percy.

Looking back over her shoulder once, Marian saw her friend still smiling softly.

Anne was counting on her and she knew it. She had to win.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 4.6K 96
~π•­π–Šπ–™π–—π–†π–žπ–†π–‘ π–Žπ–˜ π–”π–“π–‘π–ž π–™π–π–Š π–‡π–Šπ–Œπ–Žπ–“π–“π–Žπ–“π–Œ~ Born the youngest daughter of Charles I, Duke of Bourbon, Constance of Bourbon grows up am...
10.1K 314 18
Princess Eleanor of Lancaster, the daughter of Margaret of Anjou and King Henry VI, finds herself in a dire situation after her half-brother's failed...
86.6K 2.8K 46
In which Nora of Lancaster continues to fight for her family and their rightful place on the throne of England, despite all that she has lost already...
40.1K 2K 36
Grace, the illegitimate daughter of Edward IV, finds her life turned upside down when he dies and her family flees into sanctuary when her uncle take...