Duplicity [h.s]

By happydays1d

"Smoking is bad, you know." The placid voice speaks up from the distant dark corner, nothing to see but a tal... More

-read me / trailer
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100

77

1M 17.6K 350K
By happydays1d

Arriving on top of another building in Chicago, we all got off the helicopter and reached solid ground. I was excited to eventually reach a sidewalk, wanting nothing more then to be on the earth again.

On this random roof we walked with the duffle bag, heading towards an elevator. I didn't know where we were, but I remember Harry saying downstairs is where cars were waiting to take us back to the hotel. We just had to hand over all the goods to someone. It seemed our mission was over and I was gonna say goodbye to Daniella Micheals.

Rest In Peace bitch, you were a feisty motherfucker.

Getting to the roof elevator, Harry clicked the button for all of us. We haven't said much to him given the whole faking-his-death episode. I can tell he doesn't feel bad though, he still had that smug look on his face. The only thing stopping me from freaking out at him was the relief I felt knowing he was okay. I'll take being mad at him over mourning him any day. I'll get over his joke, but if he does something like that again then I'll be throwing myself out of a helicopter.

When the elevator opened, we all pilled in. This building wasn't as huge as the previous one, and I still had no idea where we were. Niall clicked the basement level of this twenty-floor building, immediately I furrowed my brows.

"Basement?"

"Mhmm." Niall nodded, but not further explaining.

"Wait where are we?" I look around at the four of them all standing staggered in the closing elevator.

"You don't wanna know." Harry chuckles, leaning against the wall and loosening his tie a bit so it hung around his neck. He also undid a few buttons of his shirt so you can see the black band shirt underneath.

"What?" I just became more confused.

"Strip club." Liam answers from the opposite end of the elevator.

"Oh.." I shrug off, expecting something scary considering how it seemed to be a secret. But then it hit me. "Wait why are we in a strip club?"

"The basement of a strip club, that's where we were told to meet," Harry answers, the elevator descending to it as we spoke. A strip club seemed to be a weird place to meet, but maybe that was just my opinion. After all, I don't do this often.

"Won't it be odd if people recognize you guys?"

"The basement is a secluded VIP section, the public would be on the main floor. No one is gonna see us besides a few strippers." Harry continues.

I nod as the elevators happen to open right on time, immediately to be welcomed with a long dark hallway that was lit by purple lights. The walls were padded with velvet and the air was naturally fogged with a bit of debris that smelled like cigarettes and women's perfume.

The first thing I heard was muffled music coming from behind the walls, bass vibrating at my heels as I stepped out onto the hardwood. This was exactly how I imagined a VIP basement of a Chicago strip club to look and smell.

There were multiple shut doors along the velvet walls, one straight ahead too. Right before I was gonna ask what door we were heading to, a woman in black lingerie came striding around the corner. Like me, she was in tall stilettos, but I'm pretty sure she rocked the ten times better than I did.

She walked up to us with a heel tap in her step, long black silk rob open on her shoulders. She had rich tanned skin and sharp eyes I couldn't catch the colour of given the fluorescent purple light. Her lips were naturally full and accompanied by an angelically soft jawline. She had a tall curvy body that looks pretty amazing in the lingerie she chose to wear.

"Here under Malikai?" She spoke like we had a reservation at a restaurant.

"Yes ma'am," Niall answered, always being the first one to talk to a hot girl when he got the chance.

"Right this way." She smiles at me specifically, turning around and leading us in her sweet-smelling pace. I'm not gonna lie, I blushed a little bit.

We followed to the door at the end, where she opened it up and held it for all of us. When I passed her, she gave me a quick little glance up and down. It was a little flirty gesture that was very flattering to say the least. I grinned back.

The first thing I saw walking in was a couple of old sofas surrounding a coffee table of unopened liquor and fresh cups. This room was toned down with the LED's  but still peppered with coloured spotlights around the walls. Stepping further in I realized to the left and right was full-on stripper poles and mini platforms. Around those poles were strippers already snaking around them in little clothing. My head moved back and forth between the two.

"We will escort the others in here shortly." The original woman said as we all got into this exclusive lounge, shutting the door after.

Everyone got situated, Liam plopped the duffle bag on the table while Niall plopped himself on the old couch. Harry grasped my hip and got me to sit sideways on his lap, my legs curling up a bit in the long dress. We had this love seat to ourselves.

"I think we all deserve a shot." Niall doesn't waste time leaning over to the tray of liquor, popping open a bottle of tequila.

I look down at Harry as he kept one hand on my back and the other on my outer thigh. I was sat in a way he was facing my side. When our blue eyes met, he gave me a small grin.

"Are you still mad at me?" He murmured as everyone carried on it other conversations.

"Annoyed, yes."

"The whole dangling out of a helicopter part was all real. I wouldn't make you risk your life like that for a joke." He clears up.

"I know, that's not why I'm mad." I murmur.

He arches his brow, wishing for me to proceed in explanation.

"I'm mad cause I thought you were gonna die. You were shot in fatal places Harry, the back and the stomach. I honestly thought I was gonna lose you for good." I explain quietly so only the two of us heard. "Remember how shaken up you were when I was stabbed?"

He nods, the look in his eyes telling me he was starting to understand.

"You were straddling me in a hotel hallway, trying to stop the bleeding while keeping me awake at the same time. As much as you won't admit it, I saw the look of fear in your eyes. I remember how much me fading away was affecting you. For the first time, it seemed you were truly lost of what to do. You were so vulnerable." I explain the night in Atlanta that felt like yesterday.

He stayed silent now, just looking up at me on his lap. I could tell he was starting to understand where I was leading with this.

"And how would you feel if after all of that I just opened my eyes with a smile and said 'just kidding'?"

Niall leaned over to our couch and held out two shot glasses of silver tequila, we quickly retrieved them from him as he was already back to doing what he was doing before.

Despite this slightly heavy conversation, we take the shot together in silence. He keeps his eyes on mine when doing so, the sharp liquor filling my mouth and burning my throat. I swallowed quick with a scrunch of my nose, he was straight-faced like it was water. He takes my shot glass and leans forward to place it on the table, me titling slightly with him.

"I'm sorry." He confesses the second he was sitting back straight against the couch. "It was kinda fucked, but I meant it to the guys more than you."

"That's all I need to hear." I nod, deciding to let it go. Hopefully, he wouldn't do it again.

I'm just happy he's okay, that we're all okay.

He dives his hand into his pocket and pulls out his cigarettes, flipping open the cover with his thumb and snaking one out as well as the cheap black lighter.

Sticking it between his soft lips, he takes the lighter and quickly fires up the end. Hollowing his cheeks, he sucked the smoke and puffed it out quickly before doing a full drag. Pulling the lighter away he tucked it as well as the pack back into his dress pants, placing his hand back on my thigh.

Looking up at me, the white stick stayed perched in his mouth as his eyes danced with a glimmer. I smile and run his hair back. There was a burning in my chest from the tequila, I don't think I'll ever get used to that feeling.

"You did a great job tonight, I'm impressed." He mumbled while blowing smoke out the corner of his mouth.

"I'm glad you think so." I chuckle, shaking my head in disagreement.

"I know you got a little shaken up from what you did, but is there at least a small part of you that's proud of yourself?" He asks quietly, handing me the cigarette in an offer.

I take it and place the filter between my lips, sucking a shallow drag while searching my brain for an answer. He watched my red lips as I did it, sucking the debris from the cigarette and gently blowing it out the corner of my mouth.

"No, I'm not," I answer shortly, handing him back the cigarette. "I don't think I'll ever be cut out to be this person."

"What you did tonight was nothing short of bravery. Why can't you give yourself credit for that?" He kept pushing me to find this inner resolution in myself that didn't exist.

"I did it because I had to."

"It just shows how strong you are after all."

"There are other ways a person can show their strength than to hurt other people, Harry." I was quick to protest, remembering who I was talking to.

"I know that but—"

"Do you?" I cut him off, looking at his eyes in this private conversation. "Because when I look at you, I see you as a very strong person. But that has nothing to do with the people you've physically fought. I don't think you see it that way though. Up until tonight, I feel like you thought I was weak."

His eyes went a little wide in confusion.

"What? No, I never thought you were weak."

"You sure about that?" I called his bluff, the cigarette resting at the corner of his mouth.

I turned my head away but he grabbed my chin and made me keep my eyes on his. With furrowed brows, he scanned my face and shook his head, the cigarette dormant between his lips.

"I've always thought you were strong just by the things you've been through in your life, I'm just trying to tell you I'm proud of what you've done tonight. Not just the fact you ripped someone's ear off but the fact you jumped off a fricken roof." He explains a bit more.

I pause and kept my eyes on him, watching him gaze at me in a way I knew he was right. I was just feeling stirred up with everything I did tonight, and bottom line not being happy about it. I felt like a different person.

"Sorry... I know. I'm just still in shock of it all."

"You don't owe me an apology. It's okay to be a bit baffled. I just don't want you to start building up these misconceptions about me because you're freaked out." He explains.

This was a very adult conversation we were having, felt kinda good to know we can both be reasonable and talk through a problem.

Instead of responding, I just lean my side into his chest and lay my temple into his neck. Curled up on his lap he kept one arm around me and the other on my other thigh, giving it a pat. Smoking his cigarette, I just knew he had a smirk on his face.

"I'm just happy it's over." I murmur, feeling the warmth of his body.

"I know, angel."

"I'm gonna miss seeing you in this tie though..." I murmur being eye level with it, my hands pulling the silk a bit.

I felt his chuckle by his chest vibrating near my head.

The door suddenly opened, and in walked the same woman from earlier. This time she was leading in two tall men, men I could point out from anywhere.

They were the two men that beat Harry that one time in Daytona. The same two men that hang around every soundcheck and concert as 'bodyguards'.

My body immediately got stiff in Harry's lap, about ready to stand up out of the shock of them being here. But Harry quickly tightened his hand on my thigh to keep me sideways on his lap.

"They're not here to hurt anyone, they're just here for the bag." He whispered between his cigarette, notifying me to stay calm.

I pull my head up from his chest and nod, looking at them enter as the woman left with the door shut. The two towering men stood in the centre of the room, all of the conversations going silent upon their arrival. My chest was rising up and down, still nervous that they were here. Harry kept his hand on my thigh and cigarette between his lips, he was relaxed.

"Gentleman," Liam said.

"We presume you completed your tasks." One of the two Italian men spoke, looking at Harry.

Harry's eyes flicked to the bag on the table, "Money and coke are all there."

"And what about the necklace?"

Keeping the cigarette perched with withering smoke, Harry slowly slid his hand up the slit of my dress, pads of his fingers grazing my outer thigh until he reached the leather garter that I stuck the velvet box into. I stopped breathing when all the attention when to the interaction in my leg. Harry slid the necklace box out and down my thigh. Eventually, he held it out for them to take.

They both looked confused about why it was up in my dress rather than the bag.

"Safekeeping." He smirked devilishly through the cigarette, I remained quiet on his lap.

One of the bodyguards reached out to retrieve it from him, opening the box to make sure the necklace was there. The other guy also looked, both of them mildly examining it.

"Good." He shut the box, tucking it into his blazer. "Malikai will be thrilled. In appreciation, he is letting you split the money and the coke. And that includes with the girl."

My heart dropped, everyone's eyes going wide.

Girl was me. I was girl.

"He's letting us keep this entire bag?" Niall sat up more straight at the words of interest, a joint between his fingers.

"Yes, all he wanted was the necklace."

"How much money is this?" Liam furrowed his brows.

"Just over three million."

My jaw dropped, my hand tightening on Harry's thigh. He did not just say three million, that must be a mistake.

"Enjoy the rest of your night." They nod, turning around and exiting the room before I even got to process everything.

I turned my head to Harry who had wide eyes but a small smile on his face.

"I'm sorry, what the fuck did he say?" I turn my head to the rest of the room, looking at each of the guys.

"Three million dollars divided by five is..." Niall tries to calculate in his head, staring at his lap in concentration.

"$600'000," Louis answers, eyes wide and flicking up at the rest of us.

There was a moment of silence that we all just stared at each other in shock, my hand still death gripping Harry leg like I was in a dream.

Niall suddenly jumped up on the table, his dress shoes banging the wood with a massive smile on his face. "That's over half a million each!"

Everyone at once shouted in victory like it was planned, the energy in the room flying sky high within seconds. Liam and Louis stood up to their feet, everyone throwing around different cusses of appraise as we all just literally won a lottery of cash. I couldn't process it fast enough, $600'000.

I turned to Harry who was the only one not cheering or had a shocked looked on his face, he just smirked at my excitement. I screamed out like everyone else, getting off his lap and standing up with the rest of them. Niall unzipped the bag of drugs and cash, flipping it upside down so the money and bricks of drugs went everywhere. My eyes were bugging out of my head, never seeing that much money in my entire life. Playfully, Niall threw some of it in the air so it rained around us.

I was numb in shock.

I turned my head back down to Harry still sitting on the couch, smoking his cigarette with a grin. He looked up at me calmly, but a spark of excitement in his eyes watching me get so amped up. The smile was permanently curled up against my face.

I reached both my hands out for him to grab, and luckily he took them so I pulled him up off the couch. Standing taller than me now, he took the cigarette out of his mouth and grabbed my hips, holding the filter between his fingers.

"You better be taking this one," He refers to the money, knowing I didn't take the two grand from last time.

I didn't even want to think about my moral compass right now, I was just so excited at the fact it was that much money. That's money that can change someone's life, to think of the things I would do with it is insane. If I take it, I could buy my grandmother a house in full with that money.

But that's tomorrow's decision.

"I'll think about it..." I grin and lean forward to kiss him gently.

He tightens his grip on my one hip when I did so, everyone celebrating from behind us. I arch my back a bit in passion, curving my body against his. He smiles into my lips and eventually pulls back, stepping around me to hop up on the corner of the coffee table.

Now towering above me, he puts his cigarette back between his smirking lips. The tequila bottle gets grasped in his hand, turning to face me as I was now waist level with him. The excitement in the room was buzzing as Niall also stood on the table throwing the money around. Everyone was laughing and having a good time, the strippers even coming over to join in on all of it.

Through his cigarette, he looked down at me and held the tequila bottle over to waterfall in my mouth. I grinned and tossed my head back, opening my mouth for him to do it. He tipped the neck of the open bottle so the liquid poured strategically into my mouth, I swallowed as quick as I could and pulled back when having enough.

He took his cigarette out from his mouth and took a swig of the bottle himself, taking a thick gulp and bringing it down new to his hip. I smiled up at him like a skyscraper when standing on a table, his hair partially in his face as he grinned down at me.

The dim pot lights above his head made half of him a shadow, and god he was beautiful. It made him look angelic, but still dark.

He bent down a bit and put the cigarette in my mouth, I gladly smoked it for him. There was a certain amusement in his eyes when he watched me smoked, he liked it. It reminded me of the night we met the front row at his concert. I took a long drag of his cigarette while he watched my lips precariously, and to this day he looked exactly the same when I did it.

Maybe it was our thing, sharing a cigarette.

Pulling it back from my lips, I blew the smoke up at him so it danced in the room along with the high paced energy. I couldn't believe we pulled off the night, and looking around at the guys all happy and smiling I realized how much I've grown to care about them. Especially the man standing right in front of me.

I felt high on the adrenaline, feeling like I could do anything or go anywhere. Maybe it was the money that made me feel that way, god don't let me become materialistic please...

Harry hopped off the table so he was right at my toes, more my level again. He tossed the cigarette away and kissed me cheekily, bending down a bit to wrap his arms around my waist and lift me. I grinned and knit my fingers in the back of his hair, he twirled me once and put me back down all within the kiss.

"So what now?" He whispered into my lips, a whole celebration going on behind us. "You wanna go have sex on 1.2 million dollars?"

I laughed against him and kept my fingers in his hair, he smiled back from his joke that was probably half-serious. During all of this, an idea popped into my head.

"Wait, what time is it?" I looked at him with my arms around his neck.

He lifted his Rolex to read the time.

"8:40." He read with one arm still wrapped around my waist.

"Oh my god!" I shout, an idea popping in my head as I felt the two tequila shots hit me. "Do you know where we are?"

He furrows his brows. "Why?"

"Just answer the question." I smile and shake my head.

"If I remember... I think I read something about Queen and Church Street..." He murmurs.

"Church?" My cheeks go warm in excitement.

"What is going on?" He chuckles, confused as to why I was getting so excited.

"On the tour bus to Chicago, I was researching a few things! Can we get out of here?" I ask in urgency.

"Where do you want to go?" He arches his brows.

"It's a surprise!"  I was overly excited all of the sudden, taking my arms off from around him and grabbing his hands. "You just have to trust me."

"You're freaking me out," I state in worry.

"I know." I grin and pull him towards the door by both hands, walking myself backwards. "But we don't have much time."

I turn around and let go of his right hand, pulling just the left towards the door. He doesn't oblige anymore, letting me take the lead on this anonymous excursion. Usually, it's him in charge of these rendezvous we go on, so it's nice to switch places.

I open the door as we snuck out without anyone seeing, they were all too preoccupied with the drinking and strippers to notice our sly exit. I flick my head to a turn in the hallway we haven't been; seeing there was a glowing red exit sign. I guide us in that direction instead of taking the elevator up to the public floor. Hurrying down the hall of muffled music and purple lights, I get to the heavy steel door beneath the exit sign. Pushing it open I saw a long straight flight of concrete steps that would take us outside.

"Why aren't you telling me where we're going?" He asks while I was hurrying us up the stairs, my heels tapping as I did so.

"When do you ever tell me where we're going, Mr. Styles?" I turn my head back.

I look back ahead of me as we got to the door, pushing it open to be in a dark alley, hearing the immediate sound of city noises. I pull him out with me so the heavy door shuts behind him, peering in the direction of the glowing street and running us that way. I was so excited, but I also have never been here before so I didn't exactly know where I was going. I just hoped the mental image from Google maps wouldn't fail me.

Out on the sidewalk, I make sure we're on Church Street, and when I saw the sign at the corner I turned down the right of it. I kept pulling us along at a quick pace, his hand intertwined in mine. There were people on the street but it was dark and no one really got a good look at us when we zipped by them in a run. No one would suspect Harry Styles would be seen in such a formal getup too.

"Okay, you need to at least give me a hint of where you're taking me." He speaks up so I could hear over our run through the downtown streets of Chicago.

"I have a cousin in Chicago!" I say loud enough so he can hear me in my trail.

"So we're going to see your cousin?"

"No." I laugh, although that would be funny.

"Okay, then what?"

"That's your only hint." I turn my head back to look at him as we ran, catching his eyes before I looked back ahead of me.

"That's not a hint! That's just a fact!" He protested in frustration. "I have a cousin in England!"

I laugh loudly at his rebuttal, looking ahead at the street. My run was slowly turning to a jog though, I had to pace myself even though I was excited and on a time crunch. Eventually, I saw the glowing lights coming up on the other side of the street, I remember from the pictures online that those lights were a good thing.

"Almost there!"

"Why are we even running?"

"You once told me; when you run you don't think about life!" I quote his words he once yelled to me in Miami Beach, words that were said as we ran across the sand and into the night water.

We kept weaving through people on the street like we were running from the police, my red dress flying in the pace I made behind me. The wind blew through my hair, my hand keeping a firm grip on Harry behind me. I know we were kinda pissing people off when weaving and mildly knocked them with our shoulders in passing, but I didn't care.

"Aven you have asthma!" I could hear him laugh over our fast pace. At least someone was looking out for my health, I sure wasn't.

"I'm excited!" I grin as we were almost there.

Once we got up to the golden glowing lights on the other side of the street, I slowed down. Eventually, when we were right across from the building I was trying to get to, I turned my back to it and grabbed his hands.

"What is going on?" He breathed heavily as did I, both of us just running a marathon it felt. I held both of his hands in the street, my back to the building.

"I have a cousin in Chicago." I repeat.

"You said that yeah." He nods, panting through his reddened lips.

"I remember them telling me about a place they use to come to with some of their friends. It was a secret place and the only reason they knew about this was from working there." I explain in more detail.

"Where is this going?" He was lost.

I step out of the way so he was facing the building right across the street from us, the golden lights glowing against his face. His eyes landed right on the building, reading the huge black and white sign on it. From there his lips parted, taking his time to stare.

I turn myself around to face the mystery location too, a location you could see for miles.

The Chicago Theatre. Specifically, The Chicago Theatre that had the Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing as we speak.

I turned back to face him, seeing how he was still staring.

"You love classical music." I murmur with a quiet smile.

"Av..." He still gazed at the theatre.

"Now I know it isn't the Royal Philharmonic because they did die a long time ago as you said. But this is pretty close. If it hits too close to home then we don't have to go in, but I heard about this and it was too perfect for me not to try and take you." I explain quickly, still out of breath from running.

His eyes finally peel away from the sign and turn to look at me, he seemed like he was in total shock.

"You did this for me?" He asked as his face went pale.

I grab his other hand again and step right in front of him.

"I know you love classical music, but it's tainted by your ex-girlfriend and your father passing. So I thought maybe we can make new memories with it so you wouldn't feel like that anymore. So if it's too much and I'm going about this in a totally wrong direction, we can forget about it and go do something else."

His eyes stay on mine like I was an alien, so I gave him a little half-smile. I hoped I wasn't making him feel sad by doing this, maybe classical music will always be a painful thing to him. I'm not expecting to wipe all his bad memories just because I took him here, but I was hoping to make a bit of a difference.

"Okay." He accepts the offer.

"Yeah?" My eyes lit up.

He nodded in return, and with that, it was enough for me to pull him across the street. I barely even looked when I ran us through the road, it was near an intersection so there were cars lined up everywhere. I weaved us around taxis and other vehicles, just trying to get to the other side.

One yellow taxi honked at us when the intersection lights turned green and we were jumping in front of them.

"Sorry!" I wave in my passing, pulling Harry in my trail.

I kept weaving us through the wide street, the alcohol giving me the extra boost. I'm glad we took those shots, now my feet didn't hurt in these stilettos as much.

"So as I was saying..." I keep talking while
Holding his hand and pulling him across the street. "My cousin use to work here and told me an easy but kinda strange way to get into the theatre."

"And what is that?" He says as we get to the sidewalk in front of the massive theatre, I turn around and face him again.

"Well, you see, this show is sold out. But I didn't think you'd want to sit in an audience of posh middle-aged people anyway. So I have a way I can get us in but in a more awkward spot."

"Awkward spot?"

"Have you ever seen Home Alone 2?" I try to find a way to explain it.

"No."

"Oh Jesus." I sigh. "Okay well, there's a scene where the main character goes to a theatre with this homeless lady and it's in this little mezzanine storage place up top. It's definitely off-limits to the public but since it's at the top of the theatre, it overlooks the whole thing."

"What kind of movie is that?" He chuckles.

"You're missing the point."

"Okay, sorry."

"We have to run really fast." I instruct.

"Why?"

"Because we gotta cut through a bunch of places we aren't allowed to be."

"Sounds fun." He smirks, obviously that idea not being a first for him. "You know where you're going?"

"I'm hoping so." I grin, turning around and running us into the theatre.

We race through one of the open double doors that brought us into the red-carpeted foyer. Straight ahead you can see the large oak doors to the theatre, but it was closed off with velvet rope and guarded by security to not let anyone else in. I turn my head and saw the swinging door that had a gold plated sign on top reading 'employees only', and that's where we needed to go.

I jet to the left with his hand in mine, making a breakaway to the employees only door. Smiling in adrenaline I push through the swinging door to be welcomed into a long burnt orange hallway. Across the carpeted floors we ran straight ahead, I hope I remember where I was going. The audio directions my cousin gave me was the only thing I could go by.

I saw the steel door at the end with a skinny window, through that window you could see people in white walking around an industrial kitchen. That sight alone made me remember I had to go through there to get to where I needed to go, so we ran down that hallway and bursted through that kitchen door.

About a handful of chefs all turned to face us upon our abrupt and unauthorized arrival, I didn't waste time for introductions as we were already jetting past them and to the other end of the room.

"Hey, you can't be in here!" I heard someone yell like we didn't know that.

"We're just passing through!" I laugh while holding Harry's hand, running to the door at the opposite end. I could feel the heat from the stoves and the scent of the foods they were preparing. "Smells great!"

"Can we get security in here!"

We burst through the door we were aiming for, welcomed by another long hallway but also a spiral staircase that went up a tall flight. I grab the gold railing with one hand and started leading us up it, this part was going to be a bit tough.

We let go of each other hands and keep running up this spiral staircase, I had to hold my dress up a bit to do so. The staircase went up for what felt like miles, but eventually, we got to the top, opening another door that took us through another wide hallway.

Panting, I slow down when I get to the hallway. I took a second to breathe, standing in spot and bending over a bit. I felt Harry's hand on my back.

"Are you gonna make it?" He chuckles.

"Yes." I nod between breaths, standing back up straight and grabbing his hand again. "We're almost there."

"You're gonna lose a lung, angel." He murmurs as we walk down the hallway to the door at the end.

"It'll be worth it." I nod, my throat hitching from breathing so heavy.

"You having an asthma attack?"

"Yeah." I grin.

He shakes his head and slings his arm around my shoulder, walking attached to me. I turn my head back to make sure we aren't being followed by security.

"Just through this door, I think..." I point to the door at the end.

As we got to it, he pushed open the heavy steel door to in fact be welcomed with the clear sounds of violin music. I smiled at the sound, knowing we were in the same room as the orchestra. We were right where we needed to be, up with all of the music storage. In this crowded area was a bunch of spare violins, speakers, harps, boxes, you name it. There was a concrete ledge that was about neck level with me, overlooking the entire theatre but facing the audience rather than the orchestra. That was okay though, we were here to listen not watch.

We walked in, Harry shutting the door behind us. I smile knowing we made it. It was very dim up here, no light fixtures at all. The only light we were getting was from the theatre down below.

"Holy shit." Harry murmured, surprised we made it up here and hidden from the world. It was kinda like a backstage but if the backstage was in an attic.

The music played loud, it was incredible. It was a mix of violins and cellos, but I knew nothing about classical music.

We weaved through the equipment and went over to the ledge, from there we looked over as we were so high up in the wings that no one but a wandering eye would notice us. The theatre was jam pact, every red velvet seat filled. I saw online how tickets were nearly three hundred each, people probably waited months for this show.

I folded my arms along the cold ledge and rested my chin on the top of my hands, hating heights but loving this view. Directly below us was the orchestra on stage, I couldn't believe we actually made it up here. I turned my head to look at Harry right next to me, his eyes glued to the audience. I could tell he was in shock too.

"Not too shabby." I murmur, his head immediately turning to mine as I spoke.

"I can't believe you planned this all out..." He shook his head in awe of it all.

"You're not the only one that can configure spontaneous trips." I grin, tucking a curled hair behind my ear.

He turns around from the ledge and slides his back down to sit on the floor against it, grabbing my hand I went down with him too. We sat up with our backs to the balcony that overlooked the theatre, hearing nothing but the music and facing all the storage around us.

"Next time we'll aim for tickets." I chuckle, turning my head along the wall so it faced him on my left.

"No, I like this so much better." He shuts his eyes, our hips together with our hands intertwined.

I smile at him even though he couldn't see me, the back of his head against the wall with his eyes shut. His tie was loose around his neck, the first two buttons of his white shirt open so his neck could breathe. I took my opportunity to admire him while his eyes were shut, he was just listening to the cinematic melodies. His long legs were stretched out in front of him, his right against my left. Our hands were intertwined and rested on our legs, his nearly devouring mine when he held it. My breathing started to calm down, and I was joyed getting to see him like this.

He seemed at peace.

"Are you happy?" I whisper.

He rolls his head to my direction so his right temple was against the wall, eyes opening tiredly to meet mine.

"In this moment, I'm very happy." He smiles gently, making my heart flutter at the words.

"Good."

"Are you?" He asks in return.

"Seeing you happy makes me feel good, yes." I nod back.

The song shortly comes to an end before they transition into another one. People clapped, and as a joke, I did too. He cackled under his breath and shook his head at me playing along, clapping with the rest of the audience. But when I stopped I just put my hand in his again.

Today has been such a crazy day, I was beat. The things we've done were enough to wipe me out for a century, I hoped the next tour stop would be less eventful.

"Did you ever picture us here?" He murmurs as I turn my head to look at him again.

I snicker, "Definitely not."

The next song started, and it seemed to be slower. It began with a very slow piano, but only a few notes in and Harry turned his head away from me and opened his eyes wider than before. Immediately I was confused.

"What's wrong?" I furrow my brows as he stared wide-eyed straight ahead of him, seeming like he was listening very carefully. Eventually, he turned to look at me again.

"Did you know they were gonna play this?" He pointed to the wall behind him in shock.

"Play what?" I shake my head.

"They're playing Hooked on Romance, that song I told you I liked from the Royal Philharmonic." He informs me.

"Seriously?" I widen my eyes.

"Yeah," He nods quickly, looking straight ahead to stare off into space again. "I'd know that intro anywhere..."

I was surprised they happen to be playing his favourite song, it just went to show that this was all meant to happen. I was meant to bring him here and he was meant to hear this song tonight. His hand stayed gripped in mine, my heart beating collectively faster just by the surreality of this moment.

He shut his eyes again, a gentle smile gazing up his face. It was soft, a very poetic smile with just a little bit of teeth showing. I'm not a writer, but I could narrate a whole novel around that smile. It was eclectically subtle but no short of warm. It could almost pass as a very kind smirk. I wanted to kiss him when he smiled like that, he looked so of peace.

He listened to the mirage of classical music with his eyes shut like he was merely hearing it for the first time. I didn't know what was going through his head, but for once it felt like it was good things.

I leaned over and gently rested the side of my head on his shoulder, my legs stretched out in front of me like him. My head tucked perfectly into the crook of his neck, and when I put it there he leaned his head a bit into me too. High up in a storage mezzanine of a Chicago theatre is where we sat, unbothered and at peace. Nobody could've guessed this is where the lead singer and guitarist of Duplicity would be spending his last night in Chicago, especially given all his bandmates were indulging themselves in women and drinks at a local strip club.

"I have a very few set of ties with my old life, ties I've worked so hard to cut." He spoke calmly and quietly.

I took in his sentence, not rushing a response. Perched on his shoulder, my eyes were naturally fixated on a corner of a box right in front of us.

"Classical music being one of them?" I murmur, stroking the back of his hand with my thumb.

"It's a tie I haven't learned to completely cut yet."

I nod on his shoulder, wondering what his other ties were and how many of them he already has cut.

"You can't completely wipe away your past, it makes you who you are," I say very quietly between us, the music building in its sequence.

"Exactly." He surprisingly agrees, but with a different intention. "I don't want to be who I am cause if it."

There was so much I didn't know about Harry's past, but there have been a few very crucial things he has told me in order to understand he's had troubles. His mom passing at his disposal, his father being murdered, his first and only girlfriend manipulating his innocence. He seems to have been through a lot. The panic attacks are a subject on its own, rooting from deep trauma he will only understand.

So I understand why he wants to cut every tie in his old life, but it doesn't work like that.

"You build with what you have," I whisper. "Just like we're doing tonight. You want to cut ties with classical music because it reminds you of her and your father. But doing stuff like this can give you some good feelings when listening to it. It will remind you of this day and everything it meant."

I heard him chuckle in return, very subtle and quiet.

"You have a nice heart, angel."

My cheeks burned and I shook my head on his shoulder, stroking the back of his hand that was held in mine.

"Well, I like you more than I planned." I grin from my statement.

He laughed delicately with me, knowing we use that line a bit frequently. It's weird to think how far we've come since he first said that to me. I remember it like yesterday; Atlantic City, floor of my hotel room, a bottle of whisky and drunk conversations. That was the first time it felt like something shifted between us, I discreetly gave him an insight into my past. I could still hear the glass of the whisky bottle sliding very slowly towards me on the hardwood floor, a gesture for me to take a drink after hearing a brief inquiry about my troubles. I remember what he was wearing, the reddened glaze in his eyes, his tongue repeatedly lapsing his bottom lip out of drunkenness. He was being his usual cocky self, pissing me right off but doing it in a such that was intriguing. When I finally gave him some drunk sassy protest, he proceeded to grin and tell me he liked me more than he planned.

I was quite vulnerable that night, enough that I eventually laid my head on his lap and fell asleep.

And now, here we were.

I don't know what he was thinking about while I was reminiscing this memory, but suddenly he shifted positions so his head was laying down in my lap. I couldn't help but be shocked he chose that movement right when I was thinking about the time I laid my head in his lap. It made me think we were thinking about the same memory.

"What were you just thinking about?" I couldn't help but ask given the freakiness of the situation.

He laid on his back, looking up at me from my lap.

"That night together in Atlantic City, why?" He chuckles.

All I could do was shake my head in awe, speechless at this point by all the times we've had these little moments of thinking the same thing at the same time. It obviously stemmed from the fact I said I like you more than I planned, bringing the memory back.

I can't get over the fact we've had the same reoccurring dream though, that was definitely something crazy when discovered.

"I was thinking of the same thing, specifically when I drunkenly laid my head in your lap. Then you suddenly did the same thing."

He grins, showing me his full set of teeth. I loved seeing his teeth when he smiled. Something about it made him look so innocent. It must've been the dimples mixed with the fact his two front teeth were longer than the others. He had a childish glow about him when he smiled like that.

"Wait— this is my favourite part. Listen..." He shut his eyes and raised his finger, focusing on the music.

I stayed still, listening to the music behind the ledge I was sitting against. The melody changed to what sounded like a harp, but I really knew nothing about classical instruments. I looked down at him, hypnotized by the way he focused on sound.

His eyes were peacefully shut, face serious until it gently curved into a closed smile like the melody brought him pure joy despite it remind him of such bad times. He can handle pain better than he thinks.

I gently stroke his forehead, pushing his hair back so I could see all of it. He was unbothered and grinning with his eyes shut, enjoying the music. I couldn't get the smile off my face when watching him like this, it was truly beautiful.

"Does anyone else know about this appreciation for classical music you have?" I whisper.

He shakes his head, keeping his eyes closed. "No one would care."

I furrow my brows, "Yes, they would."

"No, they wouldn't." He declines.

"I care."

"Because you care about me." He corrects.

"You have millions of fans who I'm sure tell you how much they care about you too." I chuckle, knowing I was right.

"Yeah, but they don't know me like you do," He opens his eyes, the piercing blue contacts looking right up at me. "They see what I want them to see, you just...you know...see."

I pause and keep his eyes in mine, running my hand back through his hair. He gazed up at me in patience for a response to his anomia, he doesn't know how to explain things sometimes. But I always seem to understand what he means.

"I think you're worth getting to know, baby." I whisper, freezing my hand on his forehead.

His eyes stayed glued to mine as I spoke through my fragile heart, I wasn't use to saying things openly like this. But yet, I felt so comfortable when I got to express my thought to him. He laid frozen in my lap, staring up at me with those artificial blue eyes. I couldn't wait to see the green again, I missed the green.

"You mean that?" He whispers more delicate than I expected, a look of seriousness on his face as his lips barely moved in the articulation of his words.

He needed reassurance sometimes, too.

"Cross my heart." I nod very gently, looking down at him.

He slowly sits up to my left, facing me with his legs crisscrossed in a way that his knees were pointed in the air. Right in front of me, he grabbed my cheek and leaned in to kiss me. I shut my eyes at the pure touch, a still kiss that was meant to show care. Once in a while, we share kisses like this. And every time it happens it feels like the first time. It's always after something meaningful we discussed but they were impossible to explain. All I knew, was I always stopped breathing when it happened.

And I think he did too.

Our lips separated at the angelic touch, I kept my eyes shut to just prolong the colours dancing behind my eyelids. I felt him breathe out against me, his hand staying so gentle on my jaw. I could help but smile before opening my eyes, looking at him look at me.

"How do you do that?" He whispers.

"Do what?" I whisper back, his face right in front of mine.

"Make me feel things when you talk."

My lips curl to a grin, my hands gently lacing up to grab both of his cheeks. He kept his eyes in mine, actually waiting for a scientific answer.

"Because no one has ever said these things to you before."

"No, I wouldn't care if anyone else said these things to me. It's you that makes them special." He rejects my reasoning. "Why?"

He was like that four-year-old who just discovered the earth for the first time and wanted a straight answer for every one of his questions. He wanted me to answer his own feelings like I knew him better than he did.

"You tell me." I switch it around, still holding his cheeks while he held mine.

His eyes burned into mine like the answer was in them, for once the eye reading not helping him. His pupils switched back and forth to each one of my irises, not being able to decide on one to stay at. He had a serious look on his face because he was serious about answering his question.

"Because," He swallows. "You're everything I just can't control."

With that, I leaned forward a couple of inches and kissed him again. My eyes wired just and my lips moulded with his in unity. He breathed in sharply this time, holding my cheek more firmly. I smile against his lips as he leans his head forward more so mine pressed against the cold wall behind me.

Suddenly I heard the sounds of a loud bang accompanying a heat against my face.

"Security!"

I open my eyes, as does Harry. Pulling back from the kiss we snap our head in direction of the door. Immediately I was blinded by the hot flashlight shining in our faces, a tall man in a security uniform standing in the doorway.

Well shit.

Harry jolts to his feet and whips me up before I had a chance to say or do anything. With my hand in his, he runs us quickly to the other exit of the storage mezzanine, away from the guard.

"Freeze!" He shouted like it would do anything.

Harry yanks open the door to a different hallway, racing us through with no sense of direction. I didn't know how to get out of here from this way, it was a whole different path than explained by my cousin. But we had no time to stop and think, we just had to go and hope we find an exit.

I turn my head back as we run down the long hallway, seeing the guard whip out of the storage room and chase us.

At the end of the burnt orange hallway, we open another door to be welcomed by a flight of spiral stairs like the one we came up on, but on the other side of the theatre. Hopefully, this would also lead to us getting out similar to how we came in.

We ran down the stairs, my heels tapping the metal steps in its passing. I can't believe I was able to do all of this in heels, I deserve a pat on the back for not falling on my face yet. I could hear the security somewhere above us, not far behind on the staircase. I was too scared to look.

Although running downstairs was a lot easier than running up them earlier.

We got to the bottom, now completely lost on where to run because the right wasn't the same side of the theatre from before. This was total uncharted territory, but we had no time to evaluate our choice of direction. All we knew was we were in a wide hallway with many twists and turns.

He just started running straight, hoping that would lead us to an exit. I wanted to laugh, cry, and scream out at the adrenaline in my blood. Being chased like this was a rush. The hallway had a sharp right turn at the end, so we had no choice but to turn that direction. Eventually, we saw a solid steel door, maybe that was the exit.

"Get back here or I'm calling the police!" The guard threatens in our run. It's funny how this wasn't the first time running from authorities with him.

"This should hopefully take us outside—" Harry bashes through the steel door with my hand in his, pulling me in his fast pace.

Right as I expected to be facing the foyer or maybe even an alleyway, I was sorely mistaken when I was instead facing the worst possible outcome.

Loud gasps of the audience flooded the theatre as we came barreling in from the side of the massive stage, the entire fifty person orchestra right next to us.

My jaw dropped and my stomach went solid as the orchestra literally stopped playing from the ruthless disruption. Holding Harry's hand and stuck in our stances like glue, I didn't even get an opportunity to look at his reaction. We were staring at the two levelled audience, and they were all staring right back.

"Fuck." He spoke, my head turning to see his blue eyes wide.

"What the..hell..do..we do?" I speak out the corner of my mouth in a way only he would hear, the whole audience bickering amounts each other. 

He just makes the executive decision to continue running with his hand held in mine, going right to the centre of the massive stage and running us down the steps.

"Stop those two!" I heard the authorities shout as we got down the stage steps and ran along the centre aisle of the audience.

Harry kept his head down, shadowing his hand over his eyes so no one could get a good look at him. We ran as fast as we could while everyone started freaking out that this was happening.

"Sorry!" I shout but also couldn't help but laugh in embarrassment.

We got to the ten-foot oak double doors at the end of the theatre and flew them open, running out to the main foyer and passing the guards at the door. Harry accidentally runs right though the red velvet rope, causing the two gold poles to fly to the floor. He manages not to trip, both of us leaping over it.

"Don't let them get away!"

We ran out the front so we were on the city street again, in quick decision Harry raced us right out into the road that was selectively less busy then it was earlier. Standing in the middle of the street, he spotted a taxi coming our way.

He stuck his pinkies in his mouth and whistled very loud, I was kinda shocked how loud it was.

That's hot.

It forces a stop given we stood in front of it, the cab honking in frustration. Harry took the opportunity to run us next to it, seeing it was empty and flying the back door open. Right at this time, security was getting out of the building and spotting us getting in the taxi, not giving up.

I slid in the leather seat while he got in after me, slamming the door behind him.

"5th and Danforth!" He shouted directions of our hotel as I looked out at the security running towards the cab from the theatre.

"I could've killed you!" The driver scolded.

"Drive!" We both shout at the same time.

He didn't waste time arguing, instead just stepping on the gas and accelerating off down the street. We both twist our bodies to look out the back window, seeing security actually try to chase after the cab.

With the adrenaline in me, a grinned and rolled down the window on my side of the car. I don't know what came over me, but once the window was down I slid half my body out of it. My curled hair blew in the wind as I looked back at the guards running in our dust, thinking they still might have a chance on foot.

I don't know why I did it, but my manicured middle finger raised to them. It was like an instinct that came over me, but I've never done something like it before in my life. I snuck my tongue out along with the gesture, grinning too. The taxi flew down the busy city streets of Chicago, a nameless blonde girl with elegant makeup and a long red dress hanging half out the window to flip off security guards. When we turned a corner, I slid back down into the vehicle.

I rolled up my window and turned my head to Harry, his eyes were wide.

"Did you just flip them off?" He didn't waste any time asking.

I laughed and nodded, just as shocked as him.

"I gave them the finger for you." I shrug with a smirk, a memory popping into my head.

I watched the police officers in our trail chase us a bit as Harry speeds off through the empty parking lot, eventually they give up knowing they couldn't outrun the speed of a motorcycle on foot.

"Give them the finger for me." He says in laughter.

"No!" I shake my head into his shoulder.

The flashback played in my head from back in Charlotte, NC. I remember it like yesterday; running from the cops through a football field, hopping on his motorcycle to get away.

I guess I was finally giving that finger.

His eyes danced in amusement, a grin plastering his face as he leaned in to meet my lips with a head shake. I smiled and shut my eyes, kissing him back. He wrapped his arm around the back of my neck while holding my cheek with the other hand, both of us breathing heavily from the run. Nothing stopped us from kissing so openly in the backseat of this taxi, suits and dresses on our bodies that made all of this look so odd.

"Like I said..." He smiles against my lips. "You're everything I just can't control."

//

aven becomes more of a baddie every chapter I swear.

I think we all know what's happening next...

;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 118 20
During the Civil War, Tony discovers something important on his way to face Steve and Bucky. He thought telling Steve would make him rethink, but boy...
644K 11.5K 82
!!Story contains mature and explicit content!! ************* Deliverance- The action of being rescued or set free. Grey Monroe is given 60 days to p...
18.9M 313K 70
18+ / Very Mature "Please, this is like cliche-central. With a kinky twist." ††† I step under the hot stream of water, soaking my hair, and take a de...
1.7M 55.3K 45
I stood there, watching, as she ran her fingers through the knots of my soul.