Deeper

By anya_jayvyn

In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." Hi... More

1 | Encounter
2 | Vaughn's Effect
3 | The Bad Boy
4 | First Day
5 | The Best Friend
6 | The Beginning
7 | Tutor
8 | Rush Hour
9 | Sushi Date
10 | The Alley
11 | Breaking
12 | Safe Haven
13 | Heartbeat
14 | First Kiss
15 | The Ex
16 | Gossip Girl
17 | Denial
18 | Desire
19 | Stranger
20 | Escaping
21 | Wild
22 | Possessive
23 | What the Heart Wants
24 | First Time
25 | Breakfast
26 | The Shadow
27 | Another Breakfast
28 | Breaking In
29 | In the Dark
30 | The Bodyguard
31 | Confession
32 | Submission
33 | Little Treasure
34 | Past and Present
35 | Bloodshot Eyes
36 | Cold Heart
37 | I Trusted You
38 | Broken
39 | Stay
40 | Gone
41 | I Miss You
42 | The Painful Truth
43 | Crumbling
44 | Your Lies
45 | Blind
46 | The Player
47 | Kidnapped
48 | Silent Cry
49 | Forgive Me
50 | The Other Half
51 | Not Today
52 | The Killer in Me
53 | Don't Go
54 | New Beginning
55 | Don't Look Back
56 | Moving On
57 | Chasing Her
58 | No More Us
59 | In Your Arms
60 | Regrets
61 | Here With You
62 | Gravity
63 | Nightmare
64 | My Everything
65 | I Love You
67 | All That Matters
68 | Farewell
69 | Always
Epilogue
Spin-off Story | Broken Sky
Special Chapter
Spin-off Story | Luna
Story Copyright
Casts & Mood Boards

66 | Back to You

401K 12.6K 4.1K
By anya_jayvyn

I can't believe what I see. Is this real? Because if this is all just a dream, I don't want to wake up.

Vaughn tries to move his finger again, but he's still very weak. I stroke his hand, a soft smile touching my lips as tears brim my eyes.

"You-you woke up," I whisper.

He gazes at me with his intense eyes. "I had a dream," he rasps, his voice just as weak as his stare. "And there, you called me. Many times."

I brush my fingers across his cheek. There's a tear in the corner of his eye, and I wipe it away as it escapes. "I've been thinking..." he pauses, his voice hoarse. "What if you haven't forgiven me? I couldn't just go away, leaving you like that, could I?"

My lips tremble, and I choke in tears. He stares at me, his eyes begging. "Melanie," he whispers. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for all that I've done to you. I'm sorry that I hurt you."

I shake my head. He's begging me like he's dying. He has sacrificed himself to save me to the point that he almost lost his life. But now, here he is, asking for my forgiveness.

"I know I don't deserve--"

I cut him off by putting my finger on his lips, shutting away his words. He stares at me with a questioning look. Then, slowly, I lean closer to him and place a soft kiss on his lips.

He seems taken aback for a while, but then, he starts to kiss me back. Our kiss is so soft and slow. I pour all of my emotions into it, all my feelings for him. My love for him.

When we finally pull away, there's so much emotion in his eyes. "Does that mean I'm forgiven?" he asks, and I can't help the small smile touching my lips.

A soft smile tugs at his lips too, taking my breath away. I really like his smile. I've been missing it.

"You're stupid," I whisper, making him look at me with a questioning look again. "Why did you do that?" My voice is slightly shaking now. "Why did you shield me from the bullet? Did you know how I feel when you did that? Can't you imagine how I feel if you're really gone?" I snap, tears starting to blur my vision as I remember perfectly how it happened.

Vaughn's hand strokes mine as he holds it in his, trying to calm me down. "But I'm not. I'm here," he assures. "And I wouldn't have it any other way. Because of that, I can still see you again, Melanie."

I swallow a lump in my throat.

"What about me? Can't you imagine how I felt when that bastard pointed the gun at you?" he raises his tone, his voice also shaking now. "Did you know how I feel when he pulled the trigger? I couldn't lose you, Mel. I can't. I won't ever be able to." His last sentence is barely a whisper.

Seeing my broken form, he tries to sit up but wince when the pain strikes him again. And it hurts me just as much from seeing that sight. "Come here," he rasps, placing his hand behind my nape to pull me closer to him. Then, as I lean down toward him again, he kisses my lips.

And I kiss him back. Again, his soft lips feel so right against mine as we kiss. The world around us seems to fade out as we're too lost in each other's warmth.

It feels so good to be with him again. It feels so right. The big hole in my chest no longer exists, because Vaughn has come back. Right here. With me. And I can't be more grateful for what God has given to us.

A miracle.

Another night has fallen. I'm walking down the corridor of the hospital and halt in front of the room when I see Vaughn's parents standing before him. A nurse helps Vaughn to sit up on the bed, and I'm relieved that his body has managed to do so even though with difficulty.

"You should have been more careful," his dad's firm voice echoes in the room. "How could you miscalculate everything? You should have been more prepared," he barks.

Vaughn just stays silent as his dad scolds him. I've never heard the complete and detailed version about how his parents raise him, but judging by the sight before me, I can figure out that his dad raises him the hard way. But maybe that's what has shaped Vaughn into the driven and tough man that he is, with so many accomplishments in his life at such a young age.

I know that Vaughn wasn't able to think clearly with what Derek was doing to me back then. That time, Derek was definitely in control of everything, abusing our feelings. Even when the third bullet was impossible to miss, I wish Vaughn wouldn't have taken the first two bullets had we gained some control over the situation.

Clenching my fist tight, I look down. I hate myself. I'm weak. And I also know now that I'm his weakness too.

"For God's sake, he has just survived from death!" Vaughn's mom fumes at his dad.

And I sigh. I would have done so too if I were in her position. At least, they have to balance each other. I know for a fact that they both love their son dearly, because I've witnessed how devastated they were when Vaughn was still unconscious, as if they were also dying.

When Vaughn's mom turns her body around, she notices me, and so does his dad. Her eyes soften, and a sigh leaves her lips. "Now isn't this perfect timing?" She smiles at me. "Melanie is more helpful here than we are," she mutters to her husband, approaching me. "We're leaving. He needs you more." She gives me another warm smile, touching my shoulder gently before walking out of the room.

Vaughn's dad sighs and follows suit after giving me a nod.

I walk closer to Vaughn, and I can see that his mood brightens up.

"Hey." He smiles at me, taking my hand in his as I stop beside the bed.

I smile back. "How are you feeling?"

"Much much better." He smirks, stroking my hand.

Before I can ask him another question, there's movement from the door. I turn my head, only to find Jake and Lais stepping into the room.

I approach them, and Lais hugs me. "We figured out that you might want to stay here to take care of him, so we've brought your clothes and some other things that you might need," she says.

"Thank you." I smile while Jake puts the bag on the sofa.

"Did you bring what I asked you for?" Vaughn asks Jake, making me wonder.

"Yeah, of course." Jake takes out something from his pocket and hands it to Vaughn, but I can't see it because it's now hidden inside his palm.

I notice that the ice between Jake and Vaughn has been completely broken. If Jake still holds anger toward Vaughn, I don't know what else to say. His best friend has sacrificed his life to save his sister's.

"Well, then, we're leaving now. Just tell me if you need anything else, Mel," Lais says, surprising me. "Hope you get better, Vaughn," she says to Vaughn before leaving, followed by Jake.

My jaw drops. I don't understand why people are always in a hurry to leave me alone with Vaughn, like they're afraid that they will disturb us. I think that they're hyperbolising the situation.

When I walk closer to the bed, the thing that Vaughn is keeping in his hand bothers me again. "What's that?" I ask, and he turns to me with a smile.

He opens his palm, and my gaze darts on the pearl necklace that he once gave to me. The same one that I've trashed outside his apartment room.

He stares into my eyes, determination in them. "I want you to have this again, Mel," he whispers. "Will you do that for me?"

I feel tears pooling in my eyes. I nod, a smile forming on my lips, and relief crosses his expression. I sit down on the bed and lean down as he secures the necklace around my neck.

He lets out a soft sigh and stares at me with contentment, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear before giving me a soft peck on the lips.

***

AN:
Hi guys, this story is reaching the end, but the ending is nowhere near this chapter. I still have something else prepared, so stay tuned :)

Love you all. XOXO.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 32.6K 55
"Go, I don't want to make you hate me for what I did." he says softly as a tear of drop dipped from his eyes. "What are you talking about?" I approac...
1.2M 26K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
108K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...
74.6K 1.2K 46
Savannah falls in love with her next door neighbour, her housemate and her brothers friend. Their relationship is a secret. How will she react when s...