Ungodly Hour | d.e.

By lisha-stories

Success doesn't equate happiness. I've had to learn that the hard way over the years. With every disappointme... More

0 | Ungodly Hour
1 | Fumble
2 | Cry Baby
3 | Until Morning
4 | In My Mind
5 | Perfectly Wrong
6 | Fly
7 | Set You Free
8 | 11:11
9 | Like I Want You
10 | Real Luv
11 | Lost
12 | Chocolate
13 | Work In Progress
14 | Enough
15 | Not Discuss It
16 | Speak
17 | The Only Exception
18 | Best Part
19 | Primetime

20 | The Point Of It All

10.8K 779 211
By lisha-stories

"I can't stay away from you too long
Even if I do I'll always call
Checkin' on you make sure you're OK
Be the one to brighten up your day, yeah yeah
And the point of it all
Is I love you, yeah
You know I love you baby"
- Anthony Hamilton

"Daddy, here." Brae handed me another stone that she'd picked up and I added it into the small basket we have. We've been in this crystal shop for the past twenty minutes trying to find good crystals for Brynn. Her twenty-ninth birthday is tomorrow and our anniversary is the day after, so we've been out the past couple days trying to find the perfect gifts for her.

Brynn and I spent her entire birthday with each other a couple weeks after meeting each other. Neither one of us had classes that day so we went to the fair, did cosmic bowling, and went to the beach. I didn't even know it was her birthday because we hadn't discussed important dates yet. She just told me she wanted to spend the day with me so whatever she wanted to do that day I took her to do it. Right at midnight I asked her to be my girlfriend and she told me that was the best birthday present she had gotten.

"Okay, now let's pick out a big one that she could put in the living room or something." I picked her up so she could see the larger stones on the shelves.

"I like the blue one. It's pretty!" I reached up, grabbing the large stone labeled Labradorite. I turned it around, admiring as it changed colors.

"You see all the colors, Brae?"

"Yeah. It's like a rainbow." I dropped it into the basket and grabbed two more of the larger ones already knowing it's going to run me some money.

Every time I come into this store with Brynn she rings up a couple hundred dollars. I grabbed a couple of her go to candles and room sprays then made my way to the front to get a necklace and bracelet set made for Brae and Gray.

"How's it going, Gabriel?" The older lady who owned the store greeted me.

"I'm good, Ms. Rosie. Brynn's birthday is tomorrow so we're in here grabbing her some things. I also want to get a bracelet and necklace set made for baby girl, and another one for a newborn." Her face brightened up as she turned her attention to Brae.

"Hi, precious. What's your name?"

"My name is Braelynn Baker, and I'm five years old." She held up one of her hands making me smile proudly at her.

One thing I started early with Brae is her education. I'm going to make sure to do the same with my son as well. I don't want anyone bullying or making jokes about my kids intellect level. That's something I got bad growing up and the jokes haven't stopped, I just learned how to ignore them. Brynn also played a big part in making me feel confident in that area.

"Oh! You're a big girl, and you're smart too. Tell me, Miss Braelynn. Which stone do you want on your necklace and bracelet?" She looked in our basket at all the random stones she put into it before grabbing a amethyst.

"I want this purple one."

"And you have excellent taste too! I'm so jealous." She giggled, hiding her face in my chest. "Let me start on your set. Do you want the same stone for the newborn set as well, Gabriel?"

"Brae, pick out a stone for your baby brother." She picked her head up, placing her finger onto the tip of her chin as if she was making the most important decision of her life.

"He can have the brown one, Daddy." I picked up the Tiger's Eye stone and sat it on the counter for Rosie.

"That one is actually perfect for babies. I made a bracelet out of it for my grandson as well. Tell Brynn I want her to bring the baby up here to meet me."

"We will bring him once he gets here. He's due next week." I set up a spa day at the house for Brynn, Destiny and Aimee. Brynn has been on a pumping schedule since she finished her hormone therapy so she tries not to be away from home for too long. She was able to pump two ounces of milk yesterday and had a full breakdown about it. I don't think anyone realizes how big these milestones are for her.

I continued making small talk with Ms. Rosie until she finished making both sets. She rang up everything for me, not forgetting to slip in an extra gift for Brynn. Brae and I hit up a couple more stores and she made sure she got her and Greyson something in every store too, claiming it was stuff for Brynn or stuff Brynn wanted them to have.

"Alright. We about to go to Nana and Papa house so they can help us wrap all this. That's what old people do for fun." She smiled over at me making me laugh. I just be saying stuff to Brae, knowing she's going to believe everything I say. I put the last of the bags into the trunk and helped Brae into her booster seat.

"What else old people do, Daddy?"

"Pretty much nothing. They've already done everything they needed to do in life. What do they do when you over there?" She put her finger to her chin, looking to be in her thoughts.

"Um, we cook and watch movies and go to the park and store. That's all."

"There you go." I kissed her forehead and closed her door. As I was walking around to my side my phone started ringing with a call from Brynn. "What's up, mami?"

"Babe! Sierra's water broke! Don't panic. She just got to the hospital, but she's only three centimeters dilated so it's going to be a couple hours before she starts pushing. I'm on my way now because I want to be with her the entire time. Finish what you were doing with Brae and I'll call and let you know when she's closer to pushing. Okay?"

"I'm on my way to my parents house now, so I'll head to the hospital in about two hours. Call me if anything changes, alright?" I started up the car, quickly pulling off towards my parents house.

"I will. I love you, bye!" She ended the call and I couldn't help but let out a small laugh at how excited she is. I already see how she is with Brae, so I know it's going to be even more intense with a newborn. We're all anxious and excited about this. I'm just happy that my wife is happy, and that we're doing it the right way this time.

"I wanna talk to mommy too."

"You will later. She has to go to the hospital for your baby brother." I glanced at her through the rearview mirror to see her bouncing in her seat. "I'm going to go up there later. I'll have nana and papa bring you by so you can be the first person to see him, okay?"

"Okay, daddy!" 

We got to my parents house and after wrapping all of Brynn's gifts I loaded them back into the car and drove by the house to place the gifts onto our bed since we probably won't be back to the house until her birthday or the day after. We almost planned a trip to celebrate, but decided not to because of how close it was to the baby's due date and I'm glad we didn't. Brynn would've never forgiven herself if we missed the birth. I took a quick shower and changed into a sweatsuit. As soon as I put my shoes on Brynn was calling me again.

"I'm about to leave the house now, mami."

"Perfect. She's getting closer to pushing. Probably like an hour out. Can you grab the baby bag, car seat and stroller? I was in such a rush that I left it."

"Yeah, I'll get it. Did you get the bag for Sierra?" Brynn took it upon herself to pack a care bag for our surrogate. Luckily Sierra has worked with first time mothers before so she didn't feel a way about how involved Brynn is, and I'm talking calling and texting everyday involved. She said she actually prefers working with expecting mothers that are like Brynn because the process goes smoother, and she feels even more appreciative for her role.

"Yes. That's actually the only thing I grabbed. Let me get off the phone, the nurse is checking her cervix. I texted you the room number. I love you. See you when you get here, babe." She ended the call and I went back into our room, so that I could grab a change of clothes for Brynn. I grabbed everything we needed for Greyson and loaded up my car. 

As soon as I got to the hospital I called up Noel to get dropped off up here so he can take Brynn's car back to the house. I know we're going to want to ride home together and I don't want to stress about having to leave her car here. I checked my phone for the room number and made my way to the room, only stopping once to get signed in. I walked in the room to see Brynn sitting next to Sierra, talking to the nurses. She smiled at me, waving at me excitedly, reminding me of Brae. I took a seat on the small couch, waiting for the cue for Sierra to start pushing.

By the time SIerra started pushing it was after ten at night and at eleven o'clock on the dot we welcomed Greyson into the world. I know it isn't a coincidence that he was born at eleven either. After suffering eleven miscarriages, it's basically a reset that our son is born at eleven. Brynn needed her faith to be restored and this was it. I watched as the nurse assisted Brynn in getting Greyson to latch onto her nipple after they got him cleaned off. I noticed her getting choked up and reached over to wipe the tears from her face.

"Sorry. I didn't even realize I was crying. I'm just- look at our baby, and he's actually latched on and eating." 

"You don't have to apologize for anything. This is big." I kissed her cheek and looked down at our son who was looking up at Brynn.

"Hi papa." She whispered. He blinked a couple times before closing his eyes back. It wasn't long before he was asleep.

"Is it okay that he didn't eat that long?" Brynn questioned while fixing her shirt. 

"Yes. It's going to be like that for the first day or two. He has to get used to latching, so be prepared for him to be waking up every two or so hours to eat. Once he starts drinking a full two ounces in a sitting he'll start sleeping longer. I'll schedule a check up for him in three days so we can touch bases on that, go over his progression, and we'll discuss any other new questions you may have." Brynn nodded, not taking her eyes off of Greyson.

"We're going to move you two and the baby to a seperate room so that Sierra is able to rest. Once we have you set up in your room you'll be able to have visitors from your family." I stood and went to get the bassinet for Greyson.

"We're going to run all of his test in your room. That way you won't have to be separated from him. We'll also have you fill out the birth certificate documents while we run the tests." The nurses assured us as Brynn reluctantly placed Greyson into the bassinet. I grabbed our things, leaving the bag Brynn put together for Sierra. As soon as we were in the new room I sent out a group text to our family with the information. I checked the time on my phone, seeing it was just after midnight. I went onto Instagram and made a post for Brynn.

g_baker5 Look how fine my wife is, and no we ain't divorcing ever. I'm so grateful to have found my soulmate. I never thought I'd experience a love like this, and so early in life at that. You're really my better half, the only person who knows me inside out. Watching you blossom the past decade has been the best experience. We're the true definition of a couple that's grown and still growing together. I'm so proud of your strength, your resilience, and your ability to bring joy to everyone around you. I admire the fuck outta you mami. I love you for eternity.

"Okay, dad. We're going to have you remove your shirt so you can start skin to skin bonding with baby." I pulled off my shirt and got into the bed with Brynn. The nurse carefully laid Greyson on my chest and I felt an immediate connection. It's crazy because I didn't have the opportunity to do this with Brae since I was out of town for an away game when she was born. It didn't take long for Greyson to start crying though and I had to hand him over to Brynn so she could feed him.

Brynn and I were able to spend the entire night alone with Greyson; just bonding and getting familiar with him. My parents were the first ones to show up at seven in the morning with Brae. Brae couldn't wait to put his necklace and bracelet on him. Destiny and Deondre showed up shortly after. Aimee and Noel came after them. By evening we were cleared to head home. Brynn took a couple pictures of him in his stroller on our way out. I glanced over to to see her typing away at her phone as I connected the base of the car seat in the seat behind mine.

"Babe, break down the stroller while I strap him in." I did exactly as she said, putting the stroller into the trunk. I pulled my phone out, ignoring my notifications as I went to Instagram to see if Brynn had posted Greyson. I don't want to post that he's here yet until she announces it first.

brynnbaker He's here! I'm so obsessed. Best birthday gift ever.

THE END!

I hope you all enjoyed this book as much as I did. 

Thank you to everyone who has been voting, commenting, and just simply reading. If you made it to this part then I appreciate your support. Thank you for those who've been putting this book in your reading lists and to those who have recommended this story. I feel all of the love, and I'm grateful for it all.

How did you guys feel about this book as a whole? Do you have a favorite character?

If you want to read more from me you can check out the other books on my page and follow me to get notifications on my new books. You can also follow me on my Instagram @lishastories . I will be publishing a new book hopefully this weekend. Either one of the drafts I posted on my instagram or another book.

- Alisha

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

240 51 9
BASED ON REAL LIFE STORIES... First, welcome to the first ever and most active support club! We whole heartedly welcome you amazing people who have...
1K 380 39
❣️❤️😍Completed😍❤️❣️ I stood by the window early morning... And saw a sun coming out of it's nest and shining!! Suddenly my eyes fall on a beautiful...
2K 183 18
"I guess just spending time with some people fixes everything." Carrying the burdens of his past was Jason Smith. Numb. Emotionless. After all those...
2.1K 493 19
ONC 2024: In college, it was a case of wrong place/wrong time. Eight years later, they have a second chance. But will they take the leap? ___ Prompt...