Searching for the Key

By littledaydreamers

Katia's life has never been easy. When her parents died she was put into the foster system with her brother... More

Announcement
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 10

79 6 1
By littledaydreamers

After flying back to the city, they met up with Laura, Suki, Amanda, Mike, and David at the park where they were sitting on the grass.

"Hey where were you guys?" Mike asked.

"We were just hanging out. I showed Katia some of my favorite spots," Nathan answered.

Katia looked over at the three girls and they all had knowing smiles on their face. Katia rolled her eyes. She knew she was going to be cornered about this later.

"So you guys ready for dinner?" David asked as everyone stood up.

"Sure am!" Amanda said and began to walk alongside David.

At dinner everyone seemed extra excited. People seemed to be running around and talking loudly while there were many groups whispering secretively, jumping from table to table.

"What's with everyone?" Katia wondered out loud.

"Oh we forgot to tell you! Every month all of the Elictis have this huge competition," Laura said, pretty much jumping up and down with excitement.

"What do you do?" Katia asked.

"Well there are two teams and we each have a fort that we have to protect. The other team uses their powers to try to enter and press a button that will blow the whole thing up!" Laura explained.

"That sounds intense!" Katia said. It definitely beat the games she was forced to play in PE.

"It's so much fun but our team hasn't won for a while," Suki said sadly. "Remember Celia? She can get under our team member's force fields."

Katia's mood darkened slightly at the mention of Celia's name. She still wasn't a fan of the girl.

"Who knows maybe today will be the day we win," Katia said. "What happens to the winners?"

"They get bragging rights plus they don't have to do chores," Mike answered.

"Then we better win. I'm not spending another month doing chores while they just have fun," Katia said.

The seven of them were talking enthusiastically about the upcoming game when a blonde girl stopped at their table with two of her friends. Katia immediately knew they were the mean girl type, practically clones of Fiona.

"What do you want, Britney?" Lizzy asked with a cold tone.

"Just wanted to tell you guys it's okay if you lose. Some people just aren't meant to win," she said in mock concern.

"Well it's a good thing you already know that so we don't have to tell you later," Katia threw back at her without missing a beat.

Britney and her friends didn't know what to say back. They just stared dumbly.

"Now if you don't mind continuing on, we'd like to enjoy our food in peace," Katia said with a fake smile.

"Bye!" They all chorused and Nathan sent a slight breeze to push them along.

"Dang Katia you've got some bite," Mike said in approval.

"I've got an evil foster sister," Katia told them. "She tries to embarrass me at school but fails."

"Nice!" Mike said, giving her a high five.

They quickly finished their dinner and met up with their team on the large field usually reserved for trainings to make a game plan. Cabins one through ten were the red team while cabins eleven through twenty were the blue team.

"Okay guys I really don't want to lose again like the past three times," their team leader, Mason, said determinedly. "So we have to figure out how to get underneath their force fields while trying to stop Celia from getting under ours. Any ideas?"

"Can't we just have Laura teleport inside and press the button?" Katia asked Nathan quietly.

"That's a good idea but that's against the rules. The game would be too boring if that was allowed," Nathan whispered back.

"Why don't we have like ten of us charge. Their force field shouldn't be powerful to stop ten of us," someone suggested.

"We tried that last time and Celia just made holes to trap them," Mason responded dejectedly.

No wonder Celia was so confident. She won practically everything she participated in. Katia was going to make that change.

"Come on guys!" Mason prodded. "Anything?"

No one said anything. Katia looked at the red team's fort and noticed it wasn't too far from the lake.

"Why can't we just have some people use their telekinesis and shove Celia around?" Someone else piped up.

"That's not going to work," Katia mumbled.

"What?" Mason questioned.

Katia's eyes widened. She didn't realize she spoke loud enough to be heard. She blushed and shifted a bit on her feet.

"Sorry. I mean, Celia will probably expect that. The people with telekinesis on the red team will just counter us," Katia said.

"You have a plan?" Mason challenged, putting her on the spot.

Katia could feel all eyes on her.

"Um, Amy, Sean, you guys can control plants right and make them appear from the ground?" Katia asked two Elictis who were about a year younger than her. They nodded their heads yes.

Katia took a deep breath and looked unsurely at the other side.

"Okay, maybe, try to grow plants under the force field to grab the ones making the barrier. Then we take them out so they can't bring the force field back up, and someone should target Celia while the rest charge at their fort," Katia said, naming the steps of her plan. Everyone was silent as they thought it through.

Mason was quiet for a long time and everyone watched him for his decision.

"That might actually work. Okay let's do it!" Mason exclaimed.

Everyone was suddenly pumped up from having some sort of plan. Katia just prayed it would work. If not, the loss was on her.

The blue team shouted a war cry and went to their positions. Katia went to the side. She was in charge of clearing the path for the people charging to the fort. Nathan went on the opposite side where he was going to use the wind to distract Celia. Amy and Sean went to the front and got ready. Saladin was reffing from above while Yelena and Lamonte were on the ground.

"Remember the rules and good luck!" Saladin exclaimed. Then he blew the whistle, signaling the beginning of the game.

Katia felt a slight breeze flow past her and the air felt charged like before lightning struck. The force fields were in place. She looked over and saw the five Elictis with looks of concentration holding the invisible barrier up. Katia looked behind her shoulder and saw the Elictis controlling the force field on their team with the same expressions.

Suddenly the earth began to shake, and she saw Celia trying to target Oliver, Regina, Ty, and Nicki with the force field. Others tried to protect them from Celia's attacks while everyone else was staring at Amy and Sean. They were their only hope of beating the red team.

The others were struggling to protect the four. Nathan was using his control over the air to suspend them over the holes Celia was making under them. She tried to throw a whole torrent of boulders at them, but a guy named Philip stopped them. He was able to multiply his body and had super strength. Together with his powers and soccer skills, he kicked every single rock away.

Katia looked to the other side again and her face lit up. Amy and Sean were able to get under the force field. The other team didn't even notice. They all believed that no one could get through so they let their guard down.  Amy and Sean raised their hands in the air and vines attacked the red team's defense. They brought the five people to the ground and their force field flickered and fell away.

"Go go go!" Mason shouted and everyone charged. Celia saw everyone running towards them and made holes appear, surrounded people in rocks, and threw stones at them. Katia pushed powerful bursts of water, protecting them all.  Nathan turned towards Celia and made a strong gust of wind surround her, making her brown hair fly around wildly. Celia was trapped and could no longer attack. Their force field still couldn't go up because Amy and Sean held the other team tightly to the ground.

"Attack her!" Katia heard the leader of the red team scream. She looked over and saw the girl was pointing at Katia.

Ten people on the red team charged at her, and Katia panicked. She couldn't fight them all off and defend her team at the same time. They were getting closer. Katia had water sweep them away, but she could only hit half of them. Then she felt a sharp pain in her side and she gasped in pain. She was pushed to the ground and kicked in the stomach but she couldn't see her attacker. She flailed out in desperation and saw the others were also coming closer.

She heard a slight breeze fly by her ears. She turned and saw with relief, Laura and Suki standing over her. Suki quickly jumped behind Katia and released a strong punch. It made contact and someone let out a scream. Britney appeared from nowhere, her mouth bleeding. Suki punched her again and Britney stayed on the ground.

"Thanks," Katia said as Suki helped her from the ground. "How did you know she was there?"

"I can see others who turn invisible," Suki explained.

"You guys can talk later. Let's kick their butts!" Laura disappeared again and landed on the closest attacker. She brought him to the ground and they went rolling. Laura kept on doing this appearing before anyone could react. Suki turned invisible and attacked the others. Katia then easily took out the rest of them with a wave of water.

Laura, Suki, and Katia high fived. "Thanks for your help!"

"No problem! I'm gonna go help them blow up that fort. See you!" Laura's image flickered before it disappeared completely. Suki turned and ran back to help defend their fort.

Katia continued to fight off the red team as they started to get closer. She turned to look at how Nathan was doing and saw someone sneaking up on him. He was too preoccupied with trying to contain Celia to notice.

"Nathan!" Katia shouted. He turned but it was too late. He had no choice but to fight them off and Celia was free from her wind prison.

She screamed in frustration and broke out of Nathan's tornado. The earth started to shake violently. Her eyes shot daggers at Nathan just as he was able to throw his attacker off. She lifted a big rock off the ground and threw it at Nathan who had his back to her. Katia summoned all of the water and slammed it against the rock. It shattered into little pieces that Katia trapped in the water to prevent from raining on Nathan.

A group from the blue team charged at Celia who was then forced to ignore Nathan and Katia.

"Are you okay?" Katia asked, running up to him.

"Yup thanks to you," he said smiling at her.

"It's the least I could do after you saved my life twice," Katia told him.

"Let's go kick the red team's butt!" Nathan exclaimed and together they fought anyone that got in their way.

The two of them made a good team as they combined their powers. After confronting someone who transformed into a dragon, they saw everyone sprinting out of the red team's fort. The people on the blue team were cheering as they ran and the fort exploded behind them.

"The blue team wins!" Saladin announced. The blue team erupted in cheers as the red team looked on with looks of defeat.

"No chores for a month!" Katia cheered as she high fived Nathan and the rest of her team.

When she walked by Mason, he pulled her in for a tight hug. "Thank you so much for your genius plan! We've finally won!" He had a smile that looked like it would break his face.

"Glad I could help," Katia laughed. Nathan and Katia met up with the rest of their friends and went back to their cabin in high spirits, talking about how amazingly they fought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38 1 26
Kala had always thought of herself as normal, but when the world ended, cleansed by a power most would fail to understand, she realized she was far f...
577 10 23
A mother who refuses to remember, an all too familiar school counsellor, and a teacher hiding a terrible secret. Alex never knew his father. A fact w...
1.4M 54.7K 62
Credits: 'MsChallenjour' for the amazing yet beautiful book cover and 'Daring2BeMe' for trying to edit the first few chapters of the book. Also, the...
53 0 9
In award winning book, The Unknown, A 16 year old boy finds himself growing up by all lies, just so that he could be protected from being killed as a...