The Jaded Princess - A Sokka...

By mep_0501

Orzala has hidden in the shadows all her life. But all that changed when she met him. Sokka x OC This story... More

Prologue
Aesthetics
Orzala
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Name Change!
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Technical difficulties
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
A/N
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
A/N
Chapter Fifty-Two

Chapter Forty-Nine

1.4K 67 21
By mep_0501

Orzala was pacing again. Sokka had noticed that she only did that when she was overly stressed. He also noticed the distrusting glances she kept sending the man-- Chey. Her slender finger twitched slightly whenever he moved, as if she was prepared to bend at any given moment. When she passed him for the fifth time, the boy reached up, grabbing her hand in his own. She looked at him curiously, and he raised an eyebrow.

The princess sighed, moving to sit cross-legged beside him. She didn't pull her hand away when she settled, instead reveling in the comfort that the boy's touch provided. He sent her a small smile before turning back to Chey. 

He looked ominous sitting on the other side of the fire.  "I serve a man," Chey began, shooting a wary look at the earthbender that was now glaring him down. "More than a man, really, he's a myth-- but he's real! A living legend: Jeong Jeong the deserter." The princess perked up a bit at that name, though she wasn't quite sure where she recognized it from. 

"He was a Fire Nation general. Or wait... was he an admiral?" The man rubbed his head as he thought, and Orzala suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. "He was very highly ranked. We get it. Move on."

"Yeah, way up there! But he couldn't take the madness anymore. He's the first person to ever leave the army and live! I'm the second, but you don't get to be a legend for that." Orzala cocked an eyebrow, and Sokka couldn't help but chuckle. "It's ok, though," Chey continued. "Jeong Jeong is a firebending genius!

"Some say he's mad, but he's not! He's enlightened."

"You mean there's a firebender out there who's not with the Fire Lord? We've got to go see him! He can train me!"Aang exclaimed excitedly, jumping up. Orzala shook her head, pulling away from Sokka to confront the avatar. "Are you crazy? No!"

"Orzala's right. We're not going to go find some crazy firebender," Sokka told him. Chey shot up, looking angry. "He's not crazy! He's a genius."

"Yeah, you said that already," Orzala deadpanned, shaking her head slightly before turning back to Aang. 

"He's the perfect person to train the avatar! That's why I followed you to the festival!"

"Look, thanks for your help, but we're leaving for the North Pole in the morning." Aang frowned at Sokka's words, turning to the boy.

"Sokka, this could be my only chance to meet a firebending master who would actually be willing to teach me."

"It can't just to talk to him," Katara reasoned, making Orzala scoff.

"You said that about the festival, too!" The princess told her, and Sokka nodded.

"Yeah, why don't either of you ever listen to us?" Sokka spat, turning to leave. He was met with a spear in his face, and he released a small scream. Orzala's eyes snapped toward him, widening as she observed the growing number of people around them.

"Don't. Move."

Orzala wasn't sure what made her decide not to fight. She knew, deep down, that if she wanted to, she could have taken everyone down in a matter of seconds. All she had to do was move, and they could get away. But something in her gut was telling her to stay. So, ignoring the confused looks from her friends, she straightened, giving the men around them a once over.

"Ok," she said, pushing Sokka behind her to stand between him and the spear that was at his throat. "We'll come with you," she conceded. The old man cocked an eyebrow, lowering his spear slowly and nodding at her. "Follow me. No funny business."

Releasing a deep breath, the princess returned her gaze to Sokka. "Are you alright?" She asked him, her voice quiet as the breeze around them as she looked him over. He gave a short nod. "What are you doing?" The girl shrugged at the question.

"If I'm completely honest, I'm not sure. I just have a feeling." The boy frowned, confusion etching itself on his features, but he still nodded, motioning Aang and Katara over to follow them. He quickly wrapped an arm around his sister's shoulders, and Orzala did the same with Aang, glaring at the men if they came to close.

"Jeong Jeong told you not to look for avatar," one of the men grumbled,making Sokka's eyes widen. "Wait, you know these guys?"

"Oh yeah, Lin Ye's an old buddy. Right Lin Ye?" The man rolled his eyes, poking Chey in the back with his spear. "Shut up. Keep moving." Orzala laughed at that. "I like that guy," she whispered to Aang. It didn't take long for them to come upon a small, makeshift village on the river side. 

"Go on," Lin Ye told Chey, motioning him toward the main hut. "He sees you only." Chey chuckled nervously. "Oh, that's ok. We can chat later."

"Is that where Jeong Jeong is? I need to talk to him right away." Aang moved to go past the men, but Lin Ye quickly blocked him with his spear. "No! You wait there," he instructed, pushing Chey toward the hut once more. "Go! Now."

Chey glanced back at the kids, flashing them a quick smile. "Don't worry. Everything will be fine. He's a great man." Lin Ye released a low groan, rolling his eyes as he lead the group to another hut. "You will stay here." He motioned them inside, promptly leaving as they settled.

"He seems nice," Orzala quipped, plopping down in the far corner of the hut. Sokka scoffed, shaking his.

 "Oh yeah, a real charmer."

"Mhmm. He reminds me of you."

"Hey!" Orzala snorted at his outburst, shooting him a mischevious smile. It took a moment, but he returned it with a shake of his head as he laid down. It didn't take long for the others to doze off, but Orzala remained rigid in her corner, eyes fixated on the door.

She couldn't explain the feeling she had, but she knew this was the right place to be. That feeling in her gut was growing, and it had become oddly comforting over the night. At least, it was comforting until Chey burst in, distress clear on his features.

Aang popped up from his spot, startling Orzala momentarily. "What happened? Can I see Jeong Jeong now?" The avatar asked, and Chey only sighed. "He won't see you. He's very angry that I brought you here. He wants you to leave immediately."

"Finally." Sokka stirred at that, sitting up and glancing between Chey and Aang. "Let's hit the road." 

Aang waved him off. "Why won't he see me?"

"He says you're not ready. Says you haven't mastered waterbending and earthbending yet."

"How does he know that?"

"He saw the way you walked into camp. He can tell." Aang simmered with anger at that, pushing himself up and marching out the door. "I'm going in anyway," he growled, making Orzala huff. She shared an exasperated gaze with Sokka before hopping up and hurrying after him.

"Aang, hold on!" The boy paid no mind to her, stomping down the hill toward the main hut. "You can't just barge in hot-headed like this!" He ignored her calls, pushing aside the cloth and entering. The princess ran a hand along her face in frustration before following.

"Aang--"

She peered in, narrowing her eyes as she saw him sit down behind an old man. "I'm the avatar," he was saying. "It's my destiny--"

"Destiny? What would a boy know about destiny? If a fish lives his whole life in this river, does he know the river's destiny? No! Only that it runs on and on, out of his control. He may follow where it flows, but he cannot see the end. He cannot imagine the ocean."

An awkward beat passed. "Ok... but it's the avatar's duty to master all of the bending disciplines."

"To master the bending disciplines, you must first master discipline itself. But you have no interest in this, so I have no interest in you. So get out!"

"Please, I have to learn." Orzala sighed, moving forward and resting a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Come on, Aang. I think it's time you learn to listen." He shrugged her off, moving closer to the old man. "This could be my only chance."

"Are you deaf?!" The man bellowed suddenly, whirling to face him. "How can I teach you if you refuse to listen? Before learning firebending, you must learn water and earth. Water is cool and soothing. Earth is steady and stable. But fire..." The old man reached out to the candles in front of him bending it so that it grew. "Fire is alive. It breathes. It grows. Without the bender, a rock will not throw itself. But fire will spread and destroy everything in it's path if one does not have the will to control it!"

Orzala backed away, eyes widening a fraction as they shot down to her own fingers. Fear began to build in her chest. "That is it's destiny! You are not ready! You are too weak!" The fire around them suddenly went out, leaving them in complete darkness. The princess squinted through the dark, attempting to see her friend. "Aang?"

A lone candle lit up once more, and Orzala looked around the hut cautiously. Aang and Jeong Jeong had disappeared, leaving a tree in their place. She frowned, making her way toward the trunk before a voice called out behind her.

"Orzala." She whirled around, gasping when she saw Roku behind her. He sent her a small smile. "You are afraid." The princess scoffed at this.

"Yes, I'm afraid. Why didn't you tell me?" She questioned, clutching her hands tightly to her chest as they began to burn. Anger was building inside her, combining and fighting with the fear in her chest. The avatar's smile turned sad, and he gripped her hands in his own. "You were not ready."

"And now I am?"

"No. But you must be. You must learn to control it, before it controls you."

A pained laugh tore through her throat and she turned away, running her fingers through her tangly hair. "What is that even supposed--" she paused as she turned, frowning when she saw no sign of Roku.

"I will teach you." She started as Jeong Jeong spoke behind her, turning just as Aang grinned at the man.

"Really? That's great!" The man seemed surprised to see Aang there, and groaned quietly. He shook his head, standing and urging Aang to do the same. "Get some sleep, avatar. Tomorrow will be a long day for the both of us." The boy grinned at him, giving him a small wave before ducking out of the hut. Orzala moved to do the same.

"Not so fast!" The man called, making her glance back at him in confusion. 

"I've been expecting you. It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Princess Orzala."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.7K 2K 18
With Yue's death fresh on the minds of the GAang, they struggle to come to terms with the hand they've been dealt, and the ways that they have to han...
Balance By Lucy

Fanfiction

93K 3.6K 27
❝I want to tell you the tale of a girl frozen in ice and time, of how she⎯and her friends⎯were able to save this world, and bring balance back to us...
416 12 7
Over 100 years ago, the Avatar vanished when the world needed him most. No one knew where their savior had gone and soon abandoned hope as the powerf...
117K 3.2K 18
Having discovered her worst nightmare had come true, Aya is still traveling with her older brother and sister and the Avatar. Aya finally got her wis...