Royal Obligations

Autorstwa FictionalCasualtiez

Cordelia doesn't have a last name. She doesn't have a family. And she doesn't have a home. She's been stuck i... Więcej

Prologue
Chapter 1: One Way Ticket
Chapter 2: The Switch
Chapter 3: Assumptions
Chapter 4: Team Cinderella
Chapter 5: To Pull an America Singer
Chapter 6: The Company of Forrest
Chapter 8: Open Secrets of Cordelia Schreave
Chapter 9: The Secret Dictionary To Affection.
Chapter 10: The America Singer Part Two
Chapter 11: Honest Truths
Chapter 12: The One and Only Lucy Leger
Chapter 13: Forrest's Favorite
Chapter 14: Jealousy
Chapter 15: The Return of Lila
Chapter 16: The Perfect King
Chapter 17: Schizophrenic
Chapter 18: Teamwork Material
Chapter 19: Fatal Truths
Chapter 20: Knight In Shining Armor
Chapter 21: Phase Two
Chapter 22: Frenzy
Chapter 23: The Fall of A Queen
Chapter 24: Choice(s)
Chapter 25: Dear Lila
Chapter 26: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 27: Old Habits
Chapter 28: The Best Part
Chapter 29: Enough Is Never Enough
Chapter 30: Dangerous Territory
Chapter 31: Lost and Found
Chapter 32: To Kill or Be Killed
Chapter 33: One Dead. One Broken.
Chapter 34: The Competition Grows
Chapter 35: His Diabolical Plan
Chapter 36: New Plan
Chapter 37: Team Forrest
Chapter 38: The Mercenaries
Chapter 39: The Ghost In The Mirror
Chapter 40: False Regret
Chapter 41: I Love Him; I Love Him Not
Chapter 42: Chased By A Demon
Chapter 43: You Can Call Me Lila
Chapter 44: Bone Shattering Relief
Chapter 45: Patterns
Chapter 46: One Simple Question
Chapter 47: Honesty Is The Best Policy
Chapter 48: Deaths and Threats
chapter 49: 150 Dresses
Chapter 50: The Coronation
Chapter 51: Walking Dead
Chapter 52: Those Wedding Bells Ring
Epilogue

Chapter 7: Predictable Behavior

1.3K 72 33
Autorstwa FictionalCasualtiez

My maids had made me a beautiful dress. It was a soft light blue that fanned out toward the bottom. It had flowing short sleeves and little patterns. It was simple, and I loved it. 

"You three are awfully kind." I say as Elise styles my hair with a french braid. 

"It's our job, miss." Elise says while Athena touches up my makeup. 

"I said you could call me Cordelia. I would prefer you did actually." I say. 

I glance over at Daisy, who was still silent since yesterday. I haven't heard her speak yet   and I wonder if she's mute. She makes my bed soundlessly like a ghost, her platinum blond hair reminding me of one too.

"This morning is the morning you meet the princes." Athena says curtly. "Make sure to be polite and formal. Show them that just because you're not as fortunate as the other girls doesn't mean you can't be just as civil."

"Thank you Athena," I say sincerely. "But I already met both of the princes." 

Elise stops braiding my hair and I see her eyes widen in the mirror. Athena finishes my eyeliner before throwing down the pencil into a makeup box. 

"Were you out wandering last night? Was that you?" Athena narrows her eyes. 

"There are many people who wander around the palace, Athena." I tell her.

Athena sighs and runs a hand through her hair. "You do not want to be seen as the unstable girl who has to take breathers in the middle of the night because she can't handle herself. I understand this is a lot to take in, it's very understandable. But we have safety precautions-"

"Athena, I'm fine. I just couldn't sleep so I ran into the prince on my way out to the gardens."

"Michael said you plowed through him and the other guard," Elise says in a singsong voice. I see her reflection in the mirror and she has a smirk on her face. "You are one step ahead, miss- I mean Cordelia."

I smile. "That's right. See Athena, it wasn't all bad." I say to her and I hear a faint snicker from the back of the room.

I look over to see Daisy staring at us with a smile of amusement on her face. I wonder if I will ever hear her voice, or will I just have to deal with the ghost floating around my room.

***

The girls here were nervous. Some were either wearing too much makeup or wearing not enough makeup. Their dresses were extravagant. What a waste of a beautiful dress just for a meeting. 

A girl walks up beside me and taps my shoulder. "Cordelia, right?"

I look over to see Felicity. Of course she looked perfect, and I doubted she was even wearing any makeup. 

"Yeah," I say with a smile. "Felicity. The talker on the plane." I try to joke. 

She laughs lightly, "Yes, yes. I'm the talker."

"Ladies!" Victoria snaps as she enters the room and we all stop talking at once. "Both princes will be coming to meet you all today. As you can imagine, this can be very stressful and overwhelming for them. Do not all attack the princes like vultures." She gives each of us a firm look. "This is how it's going to go," Her heels click on the stone floor as she walks from one end of the room to the other while talking. "Both Prince Harlan and Prince Forrest have schedules of who to talk to in a specific order, and for how long. The princes must come up to you. Understand? If you don't understand I suggest you go home. Simple orders and instructions like these are just the beginning." 

We are all silent as she smiles. "Wonderful!" Victoria spins around on her heels and clicks out of the room. Not a moment later both princes walk in. Everyone curtsies except me. I was the last one to curtsy and I spot Prince Harlan smiling at me. Seems like I made an impression.

"No need for that, ladies. We're all friends here." Forrest says in a light voice. A voice that was completely different than the one he used with me. This morning he sounded like a prince, not your average province douche bag. 

All the girls laugh except me. I wasn't even aware that he was making a joke. Nonetheless, not only had I managed to catch Harlan's attention, Forrest spotted me right away when I just stared at him with a scowl. But It was so slight, so discreet, you would have never spotted it on my face unless you knew it was there. 

The two princes split up as they approach different girls. The first girl Harlan walked up to I recognized as the brunette who called Felicity a moron.

"Who is that?" I discreetly point to Harlan and the girl who is seductively twirling a brown piece of hair around her finger. 

"That's Taylor Cage." Felicity sighs. "I can't believe she's here. I was so happy to escape the bad parts of my life and all it did was follow me."

I couldn't help but feel a little pity for her. I was here for the exact same reason, wasn't I? I was trying to escape my life. At least Ms. Torrean didn't follow me here. I remember when Taylor told Felicity to shut up because she looked like a moron, they could't be on any good terms. 

"She's a two right?" I ask and Felicity nods. 

"Taylor has always hated me. I don't know what I ever did to offend her." She says sadly and looks down at her feet. It hits me that Felicity is completely clueless. She was oblivious and naive, but that was okay. I liked her because I felt we shared common ground, and I didn't expect to find that at all here. 

I laugh. "Felicity, she's jealous of you. It's so painfully obvious."

Felicity looks up at me with a frown. "Why would someone like her be jealous of someone like me? I'm below her. She's a model and I'm a musician that plays at old woman's birthday parties."

"Felicity," I say sincerely. "You are beautiful and you are talented. Taylor..." I glance over at her leaning into Harlan as he looks around the room trying not to notice. "She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. If you know what I'm saying."

Felicity giggles just as Forrest walks up to us. "May I speak with you... Felicity Corbett?"

She blushes as he takes her hand and kisses it. "Of course your majesty." 

He pulls her away from me as he shoots me a look over his shoulder. I roll my eyes and glance over to Taylor- who is alone. I begin to look for the prince but someone taps my shoulder.

I turn around and Prince Harlan stands in front of me with a smirk. "Hello there, Cordelia." 

I smile, "Is it my turn already? What a shame." 

He chuckles. "Sorry for the disappointment. Were you waiting for someone else?"

I sigh sarcastically and look over his shoulder. "Yes, he isn't here yet though. So I guess I can talk to you to pass the time."

"Wonderful." Prince Harlan grins. "I have these questions I'm supposed to ask you. My mother drilled them into my brother and I's head yesterday. But, they are quite boring and I already know some of the answers." 

He was comfortable around me, that was what I needed. He needs to feel like himself around me, or else we will be caught up in a loop of talking about the weather or how I'm enjoying myself at the palace.

"Can I ask you some questions?" I ask, the request suddenly dawning on me. "You already know so much about me, and I hardly know anything about you. Tell me one of your questions,"

"Occupation." He says automatically, the question drilled into his brain as he mentioned.

"Okay Prince Harlan, what is your occupation?"

He does a small laugh. "I'm a prince."

"Wow, that's intense. Tough business," I say and he laughs. "What else do you like to do? You know, besides being a prince?"

Harlan thinks for a moment. "I always found myself as an artist. Like my mother. But I am not near as talented as her." 

"Momma's boy I see," I smirk and his cheeks go a little red. "Well, um, no-"

"Relax." I laugh. "It's endearing." 

"Endearing?" He laughs. 

"Endearing." I say again with a small laugh myself. 

Prince Harlan goes to say something else but I see his brother in the corner of my eye hit his shoulder. It looked like it was meant to be playful, but I could see the split second look of pain on Prince Harlan's face. "You're five minutes overtime, brother. There are other ladies waiting for you." Prince Forrest says with a smile, but I could see he was gritting his teeth.

"I have it under control, Forrest. Mind your own business, yeah?" Prince Harlan says with another playful smile, but the look of annoyance in his eyes was obvious. 

Forrest gives him a curt nod before walking over to Taylor. 

Prince Harlan gives me an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, Cordelia. I would like to talk to you later. . . If that's okay with you?" He asks, looking down at his feet. 

"Sure, I would love that." I give him what looked like a sincere smile. He bought it and picked up my hand to kiss it. "Oh, and Cordelia?"

"Mm hm?" I ask looking up at him. 

"I wasn't supposed to meet you yet, I just couldn't help myself." He winks before walking off to speak to another girl.

This was way too easy.

***

[I'm really glad you all like this story! I do read all your comments and I'm actually excited when I post a new chapter and then see all the positive feedback. It's just very nice to know you all enjoy it :)

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

9.5K 146 11
Not finished. Very sporadic updates. Hi! This is a book of what the Selection would look like if America told Maxon that she loved him that night in...
115K 2.2K 38
America is heartbroken by her break up with her ex-boyfriend Aspen. Prince Maxon is tired if the constant disrespect from his parents and peers. So h...
190K 2.3K 40
The selection has ended. Maxon has chosen the girl he wants to marry. The choice was unexpected. He chose Kriss Ambers. Maxon was happy until the day...
2.5K 59 21
The Selection has been narrowed down to the Elite, and Prince Ethan Noah Schreave's time to make his decision is running out. His choice must be both...