Elysion

By AlleonWolf

Duke, the protagonist of the story believes that his weekend away from school to go have some camping fun wit... More

Ch. 2

Ch. 1

43 4 3
By AlleonWolf

Ch.1 Life

The sun was bright and shining through the crack in my blinds. I rose up with my hair in my face with the worst expression of awakening. I yawned, stretched, and thought to myself.

"Time for another day of school."

Slowly taking my first steps out of bed, instantly feeling awake when I step out my room. I got washed up and brushed my teeth with excitement for the coming weekend. Taking a look in the mirror at my white hair, which everyone knows isn't normal. People always said I was different but I just ignored that. The only compliments I got were mostly about my personality and my blue eyes. After I checked myself to see if I was clean and threw on my school uniform, A white button up shirt with a purple collar and black pants; my favorite colors. I ran to the kitchen and began on breakfast.

"Can't wait for the weekend can you?" said my mother.

"Yeah I can't wait. I'm going to go explore the downtown of the city with Rin, Daichi, and Yuri. I heard the lighting down there is amazing so we are camping there for a night or two."

"Well take care of your sister, Rin. Horanu is a big city and a lot of bad things happen, you know I love and care about both of you and don't want you to get hurt. If you run into trouble remember those martial arts lessons Mr. Sato taught both of you."

"I won't mom I'm 16 and I'll take care of her and I will let's just hope I won't have to use it. It's not like I go searching for fights, so no need to worry." I Laughed

I loved my mom, even though she wasn't my real mother. My father disappeared when I was a kid, right before Rin was born so we didn't really know him. But I was glad to have some kind of family.

"Good, when are you guys leaving?" My mother asked.

"Right after school. We have to stop by the other guys houses before we stop by here." I replied "Will you still be here?

"I may be here, I have some business to take care of today. I will try to be home as soon as I can Duke to see you and Rin off for your little trip."

I looked at the clock and saw it was 7:30am and school started ay 8:00am.

"Oh! Mom I got to go I'll see you before we leave, Love you. Come on Rin!" I yelled getting up grabbing my lunch and backpack placed in the corner of the kitchen.

She came down in the girls school uniform, a white button up shirt, with her purple skirt matched her black shoes. Her hair was pretty long to her mid back and brown with a lighter blue shade of eyes

"Hai bro! Ready for school?" she asked me.

"Best if I asked you that at least I was down here on time." I laughed.

She was 14 years old and pretty smart for her age. What i liked about her the most was that she wasn't interested in doing what everyone else was doing; more of doing her own thing and being herself is what made me proud to be her older brother.

"You got your stuff packed for later?" I questioned.

"Umm ya. You think I wouldn't? I'm excited to go!" She answered as she threw up a peace sign and winked.

“Yeah, Yuri is going crazy about it, bet its on his mind right now. He's been talking about this all week too. But anyways let's go, time for school. Bye mom".

"Bye kids see you later!" She shouted with a smile on her face as we left.

Making our way to school, which was not far from our house We would stop by a local candy man named Lou, who would always give me and Rin candy for free.

"Hey there Lou! Good morning to ya!" Rin shouted.

"Good morning lil lady" he replied. "Catch!" he threw her a bar of chocolate.

"Thank you!" Rin said and slipped the chocolate into her bag.

"Any for you Duke?" Lou asked.

"Nah not today. Starting to eat a bit healthier" I replied.

"That's good kid, I'll see you two later."

" Bye!" Tara yelled.

Turning the corner we noticed beggars fighting for money. One seem to have caught the other by surprise.

"Man the cities not the same anymore" I thought to myself.

Back when I was a kid everything seemed to be just a happy time. But when there was a change of government, the economy shot down and we slipped into a depression. Continuing forward just pass that fight was our school. Not a bad looking one for the slums of our city, we just didnt have the brightest of students. I seen many friends and many enemies approach the school, crowding the front door to get in. Most of us don't enjoy being here but we all have to deal with it.

"Hi Duke!" one of my close friends Aiko shouted at me through the crowd.

I waved back to her and said,

"Hey! how you been?"

At that moment before she responded, her boyfriend walked out of no where and nodded to me. I gave him a thumbs up because maybe i got them together.

"Wonder how it must be to have a girlfriend now a days." I thought.

I didn't have a girlfriend, i never really tried to have one. I liked some girls, but showed them no sign I liked them at all, It was just something I didnt find important for at this time.

Heading inside, Rin ran off to her locker with her Friends and I bumped into Daichi, an old friend of mine. We are the same age and were pretty close when we were kids, but we grew apart as we aged. There were somethings about him that bothered me at times. I never questioned him though. Who was I to question him? I can't control his life, I just aid him in his decisions as a friend. He was about my height with short blonde hair that was spiky and had brown eyes. He appeared as more of a pretty boy to others but he always seemed to get the girls, so I guess it didn't phase him.

"Daichi, what's up?" I said while waving my hand. I haven't talked to you in about a week."

"Nothing much" he replied "I'm so ready for after school." He said eagerly

"I thought Yuri was the only one." I laughed. "Not to be a downer but we have to get school done first"

" I seriously do not want to take that test in Trig." Daichi said I while trying to open my locker.

"I know right, but I crammed for it so I think I'm good." I sighed after opening my locker.

Then the warning bell rang.

"Oh, dang I'm going to be late. I'll catch you later Duke."

he turned around wrapping his arm around a random girl, who was standing behind him and walked off.

"See ya Daichi." I yelled and walked to class.

The school day progressed with nothing on my mind besides how downtown is going to look and will I meet more people there. The thoughts just clouded my mind. School ended very quickly it seemed as if time rushed to get us out. I met up with my friend Yuri outside of school.

" Yo!! Yuri what’s up?" I questioned. "Physics class was such a drag man I got no homework though so I'm good."

Yuri was the same age as me had black hair that went down to his shoulders, green eyes, and a bit shorter than me. Yuri was more than the average guy. He had a type of confidence that most people liked and wasn't afraid to say what's on his mind. A good guy and strong willed is how I viewed him, like a brother.

"That's cool. Thanks to my mom, I gathered all the food and money we might need if we get hungry or want something." He said

. "Nice! I packed up as well, so my house is the last place we are stopping so I can say bye to my mom."

.”I thought she was your adopted mother?"

"She is. She's just been really nice to me and Rin so....."

"Duke!" a voice called out.

I turned my head slowly hoping it wasn't a certain girl. But sadly it was. Same age as my sister, she stood short and slim with glasses and dark green hair, in a pigtail twirled with braids on the ends, she was cute but had a stalking personality that would get annoying. Worst part of it was that she was friends with Rin. Very nice girl, but my only problem with her was that she was always looking at me in the hallways.

"Kaori!" I said with a struggling smile.

"Hayy." she said with a sassy tone "What’s up?"

I whispered over to Yuri

"Don't tell her about the trip out or she'll want to come and we'll have to lie our way out."

Before Yuri could reply we heard.

" Hey! Yuri, Duke! Ready for our trip out to town?" as a hand came around my neck on to my shoulder.

"Daichi...." I said while shaking my head.

"What? Did I say something wrong?". He asked with a puzzled look on his face.

"So you guys are going out camping? Can I come please please please?" She pleaded

"Well we......” I began, and then.

"Sure! It would be fun if one of my best friends came along." Rin said walking from behind Yuri.

I sighed.

"She isn't even ready" I said.

"Remember a couple days ago me and my family took a trip to Esamu?" Kira questions.

"Yeah you told our class about that." Rin replied.

"Well yeah, some of my bags are still packed so will that do?"

I took a deep breath.

" I guess." I sighed.

"Let's get going, or we'll miss the bus when is comes around" Daichi reminded. "and let's go to Kira's house first since her house is close and she's prepared."

We began for Kira's house quickly before the sun began to set. The streets were bustling with activity. Dealers and traffic were filling the streets. I walked ahead of everyone, not that I knew where I was going. Kaori got close to me and asked

"Do you know where my house is?"

I scratched my head and responded "Not really. I was hoping you would lead."

"Oh I'm sorry. Duke, Remember which way we are going if you want to visit some time." she said

"Ok......sure." I replied slowly.

I heard Rin speaking behind us.

"Daichi, you're really staring at Kaori, are you ok?"

He shook his head.

"Huh, I wasn't staring." he said quickly.

"Don't get all pervy on is Daichi the wise." Yuri said raising his hands behind his head.

" Come on i wasn't staring." he tries to explain

"Uh huh" Yuri said and laughed.

We arrived at Kaori'shouse a moment later, and she took off inside. Waiting about 10 minutes she came back out.

"Ready!" Kaori said. "Sorry I took a bit longer than expected. I had to write a note for my parents."

"Won't they be mad you just kind of took off?" Yuri asked.

"Not really, as long as Rin and Duke are here they will think it's ok."

I raised an eyebrow wondering,

"Why is it ok if Rin and I are here?"

"Well come on I want to catch my mom before she leaves." Rin said.

With no second thought we began to head off. We stopped by Yuri's house to grab his bags and money, which only took about 3 minutes. He really was excited as I had thought. Then to Daichi's house to do the same. Last stop was my house.

"Rin, get your bags and tell mom we are leaving."

"Ok" she nodded and ran off into the house.

"Be right back guys" I said to the others and walked to my room.

I grabbed my bags and noticed there was a note on them.

"Dear Duke, I've left to go shopping and won't be back until later. I left something on your bed. Your fathers old ring." the note read.

I scanned my bed slowly and saw something that looked shiny. I pulled it off of the sheet and it was the ring my father used to wear. I remember it from when he held me all those years ago. I slipped it on my necklace to make sure I didn't lose it. Then the doorbell rang. Coming to my senses, I remember the others were outside. I grab my bags and run out. Everyone turns to me as im rushing out.

"What took you so long?" Kaori asked

"Uhmm nothing sorry I took a while." I replied

"Rin's out here right?"

Here I am." she said stepping from behind Daichi. Who appeared to have pulled her off to the side.

"Daichi...."Kaori said.

"Yeah Kaori?" He replied.

"Do you like Rin?"

"What! No!" He blushed."

"I'll take that as a yes!" Yuri laughed.

"Well..... I...... Blah! Shouldn't we be going!" Daichi yelled as he started turning red."

Rin looked at Daichi with a smileand said.

"Yeah we should."

We hurried to catch a bus that would take us to a few local areas and then downtown.

"So guys, whats the plan?" Yuri asked.

"I'm not really sure." I responded "I kind of want to journey off to the forest and find a spot to camp."

"Where bugs are and stuff? Uhmm no." Rin said.

"I'm sure it wouldnt be that bad to wake up with a bug or two in your hair Rin." I stated and she quickly hit me in the arm.

"You know what would be a good idea?" Kaori questioned."Lets make sure we pick a high spot so we could have a view as well!"

"That's actually not a bad idea Kaori!" Yuri said. " Do we all agree?"

Everyone nodded except for Daichi.

"Yo Daichi? You ok?" I asked.

"Yeah I'm fine." he responded and looked back out the window.

For the rest of the ride everyone was quiet. The sun was setting quickly and it began to get dark. I didnt think we would ever make it until we eventually found ourselves Horanu's downtown area. Grabbing my bags and taking the first steps off of the bus, I already felt small. The buildings were huge and the lights were bright. I turn to the others.

"Well guys you wanna explore now or wait til morning?" I asked.

"Let's go now!" Kaori shouted.

"I agree this would be a good time to see the city at night." Yuri added.

So we continued through the city, seeing the and beautiful signs and checking out the stores.

"I feel like a pack mule." Rin says.

"Need me to carry that for you?" Daichi offers.

"Why thank you kind sir." She says with a big smile and hands him her bags.

"You arent the only one tired of carrying these bags." I added "We should go to a camping area in the local park."

The parks let locals stay in them on certain days, which was kind of surprising since park managers normally are really strict. Before we know it Kaori walks ahead of us and bumps into a man who looks to be in his high teen ages, and he grabs her bag and begins to take off.

"Sucker!" he yelled.

Reacting qucikly I stuck my leg outwards swinging it to my side tripping the man. Daichi and Yuri surrounded him with me.

"You'd be best dropping that bag." Yuri threatened.

And without a word he dropped the bag and ran quickly towards me. Taking a step to my side, I move out of his way and he continued running I picked up the bag and handed it to Kaori.

"Thank you guys." Kaori said happily.

"It's no problem" I said giving her a small smile.

Just then I see her head turn quickly to her left and she pointed.

"Let's go on that hill" Kaori said. "So we can see more of the city."

And then Yuri rushed off with a head start .Without hesitation, we followed behind him laughing to see who'd get there first. I ran the hardest I ever ran hoping to win. Once at the top of the hill I fell over. Gasping for air I said,

"Wow you guys are faster than I thought."

" I win!" Rin yelled with excitement.

"Well shall we look at the view?" Daichi reminded us.

"You’re right." Yuri added as he sat down.

The rest of us sat down as well. The city looked peaceful as a calming wind blew. I took up my bags and began to set up camp.

"Yuri! Give me a hand here." I said.

"Be right there." He replied.

I set up the tent and Yuri started the fire. "Oh you're strong!" Kaori said astonished."

"Oh you thought I was weak?" I questioned with a laugh.

It's just that she likes you Duke, It’s not hard to set up." Daichi bluntly said after being quiet the entire time we've started setting things up.

She blushed and became quiet.

"Well I......." she began.

“Hey, Daichi! No need to put peoples business out there!" I called out.

"She did mine so I did hers." He replied.

I look a him with a dull face.

"So you just admitted you like my sister....."

He looked shocked and surprised at what he said.

"You know what I'm going to bed! " He stated loudly so we all could hear.

"Yeah yeah Daichi." Yuri said.

"Maybe he's really sleepy." Rin said.

"Nah he's lying." Yuri replied.

"How can you tell?"

"Cause whenever he becomes embarrassed."

"I don't think so."

While they were going on, after the tent was set I took a seat and gazed at the town again.Steps slowly approached me from behind. The person sat next to me.

"Oh hi Kaori."

"Hallo Duke. Doesn't the town look beautiful?" She asked while sitting next to me.

"Yeah." I agreed.

"So now that it's out since Daichi said it. You like me?"

She looked down then back up and looked me directly in the eyes and I finally noticed her eyes were a light green and I liked it.

"Yes I do like you Duke."

"Heh I could kinda tell before." I told her.

"How?"

"Uhmm the way you act at times. kinda makes it obvious." I said.

"Oh well I guess you don't like me back....." She said pouting and scooting away.

"No it's not like that it's just I don't think I have time for a relationship right now." I said. She scooted closer to my side.

"So you like me too?" She asked with a smile. I replied,

"Well I can't really say that, but I can say you interest me a bit." and smiled.

I wrapped my arm around hers.

"But since we have this weekend I'll think about having a relationship."

Her face brightened and she put her head on my shoulder. We sat for a while looking into the distance. Yuri and Rin seemed to have headed in since they both stopped talking.

"It's getting late. Don’t you think it's time to head in like everyone else?" I said.

"Yeah ok." She replied and stood up and walked straight inside the tent.

I went in the tent grabbed a blanket to relax under. Kaori scooted around everyone to lay next to me and she silently drifted asleep. I look around saw everyone else asleep and closed my eyes falling sleep shortly after.The next moment, I'm dreaming and cant see anything, as if I were blind.

"Hello?" I said hearing my distant echo.

Just then, A bright light shined in front of me, blinding me from seeing what was inside. Covering my eyes, I proceeded into the light. Through it I found myself standing over a bright light, on a zenith floating somehow. It was still night time but the light from below me lit up brighter than the town. I looked down then I heard a sound to my left. I turned quickly to see what the cause of the sound was and I see a shadowy figure. It looked similar to me from head to toe, except it was holding something...... A sword. Surprised, I stood in shock. Shortly after I noticed the figure a greater one showed up it grabbed my left hand and lifted me closer to it. I see the face of the creature. It was ugly but loomed an uneasy feeling that left me stunned.

"What the hell are you?" I shouted at it.

Suddenly it tossed me to the other side of the zenith.

"Whoa!" I shouted as I felt my hand burning.

I glanced at where the pain came from and there was a mysterious mark. Staring at it in utter confusion I didn't notice the smaller shadowy figure was running at me. It was within feet of me and swung it's blade. I ducked and rolled out he way. I ran up to it and punched it in the its jaw. It seemed to just absorb the punch.

"Looks like all I can do is dodge it." I thought to myself.

It continuously attacked me and running out of breath I continued to dodge and then shove it away. The figure came again and leaped to attack. Raising my hands I had hoped to catch the blade but there was a sudden light and In my hand was a white sword with markings all over it. I blocked the attack and without thinking I knocked the figure away and began to duel the shadow. It moved as quick as I did, maybe even faster. As it approached me, I slashed. As it attacked me, I dodged. And as it rushed me, I stabbed to try to defeat it. Placing its feet in a ready position, the shadow dashes at me at unbelieveable speed and knocks me off of my feet. I lost this battle and I felt i couldn't win, but suddenly I felt some kind of inner power that imbued my blade I began to float and as if it were natural to me. I flew towards the creature swung my blade cutting through the chest of the shadow. A quick turn around and i cut its arm, and another turn and another. Until i dashed through it and obliterated the figure. I panted and thought it was over but I felt rumbling the creature had returned. I held my sword ready for another fight, but it did not attack. Its last words were,

“Until next time."And disappeared.

I lowered the sword and then it vanished with a bright light and I finally calmed myself. Next thing I knew was I had awakened sighing heavily. I thought to myself

" That dream...... was too.......... real."

But it was only a dream in my mind, so it mattered nothing to me. I closed my eyes going back to sleep. Hoping to not have that nightmare again.

Continue Reading