Employed Epoch Of Alex Brook...

By vineethereader

"So, let me get this straight. You stomped all over his paperwork?" She started. "Not intentionally, but yes... More

Excerpt & Synopsis
1. THIS IS HOW WE DO!
2. TASTE OF YOUR OWN MEDICINE
3. FROM BAD TO WORSE.
4. I GOT THIS!
5. HIGHWAY TO HELL
6. HE'S GOT A HIT LIST?
7. NIGHTMARE COME TRUE
8. HOW UNFORTUNATE
9. NO MATTER WHAT
10. MAYBE I HATE HIM A LITTLE LESS
11. ONE STEP FORWARD, TWO STEPS BACK
12. TRUCE FOR NOW
13. NOW THAT I'VE EARNED A NICKNAME
14. WORST IS WORTH IT
15. NOT WHAT ALWAYS MEETS THE EYE
16. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?
17. TRANQUIL TIMES AND LOUD MINDS
18. LIGHTWEIGHT
19. FRIENDS OR FOES?
20. DOUBLE TROUBLE
21. RIGHTING THE WRONGS
22. FRIENDLY TERMS?
23. SO IT SEEMS
24. TRIP DOWN THE AISLE
25. LET'S GET THIS OVER WITH
26. SO MUCH FOR...
28. GO WITH THE FLOW
29. IS THIS APPROPRIATE WORKPLACE BEHAVIOR?
30. STOP CORRUPTING MY PURE THOUGHTS!
31. IS THAT HOW YOU END ARGUMENTS?
32. WHAT A DUMB THING TO FIGHT OVER
33. NOT ALWAYS FUN
34. ON A SECRET MISSION
35. WEIRD CHEESY ROMANTIC
36. INSULT TO INJURY
Closing Remarks! (Sequel)

27. EVENTFUL EVE.

5.1K 341 205
By vineethereader

Chapter 27: EVENTFUL EVE.

****************************

Jensen's pov:

*****************

I was an hour early, as I entered the extravagantly ornamented event hall. It looked better than ever. I could see some reporters and cameramen at the entrance gates of the red carpet but it wasn't too bad, it was bound to get worse once the guests started arriving.

Many important personalities and celebrities were on the guest list today and the media clearly didn't want to overlook any details of the night.

Everything looked amazing, many artists and curators were present since their art was being displayed and auctioned.

Although my eyes were searching for one person who was nowhere to be seen, she was probably here somewhere working since morning, I'm sure she's busy with some last minute details.

"Please re-arrange the chairs according to the new seating plan, this is not the right way..." I heard her familiar voice and walked in the general direction.

I definitely wasn't prepared for the sight that greeted me as I turned a corner, there she was looking slightly distressed at the situation at hand but beautiful nonetheless.
I didn't say anything to announce my presence. I couldn't.

I just looked at her, taking in the moment, the long dress delicately hugged her slim waist and flowed down to her ankles, it was held up with a single strap leaving the other shoulder bare.

Her dark hair was tied up in a bun with some strands falling off to frame her face and she didn't wear any accessories except for earrings.

God, she was absolutely breathtaking.

Feeling nervous, I met her deep brown eyes which were suddenly looking right into mine and very subtly she raised an eyebrow. If she noticed the way I was looking at her, she didn't mention it.

"You're early." Alex said.

"Yeah, needed your help with something." I said as I walked closer.

"What is it? But I'm kinda busy here..." She started to fess.

I spotted Anna as I looked around, "Anna, would you take over, I'm borrowing Alex for a minute." Anna gave me a thumbs up, and with that I grabbed her hand and pulled her to a somewhat empty corridor.

"I wanted to give you something too...." I said and pulled out the tiny trinket of a pendent I got for her from the inner pocket of my suit, it dangled from my fingers as I held it up for her to see, "since you got me a present and I didn't have anything for you."

She stared down at the, white diamond pendant with curious, incredulous eyes. "You did what?"

"Is that your indirect way of telling me that you hate it?" I asked, just to be sure. Maybe this wasn't her taste after all.

"Yeah. No. I mean...I like it. " Alex said looking right at me as if she couldn't believe I could do something of this sort. I just sighed in relief, shopping for a woman is nerve wracking.

"Do you wanna put it on, or is it going to clash with your outfit?" I asked skeptically.

"No." She replied.

"No, you don't wanna put it on, or no, it won't clash with the outfit?"

She laughed, I liked her laugh a little too much. "No it won't clash with my outfit." She clarified.

"Great." I smiled, "allow me?" I asked, holding it unhooked in front of her.

She rolled her eyes but complied, I stared at the tiny microscopic curved hook in my hands and tried to fasten it around her neck. I was successful after two failed attempts.

"Why do you even know anything about accessories clashing with outfits?" She asked, seemingly curious.

"These are just a few things you pick up when your sister is a fashionista." I said as a matter of fact.

"I see... " She looked amused at my knowledge about women's fashion.

I looked at the piece of jewelry around her slender neck, It shone more brilliantly on her, if that made any sense. "You look beautiful."

"Monetary value... I see." She joked. "You are a true businessman indeed."

"Well, I can't deny that... But you look beautiful everyday, even without all those sparking stones." I replied, without missing a beat. She blushed then, and I was glad I could get that reaction out of her. Damn Alex, what are you doing to me?

"Whatever... I have to get back to work..." She said, clearly trying to escape.

"Not so soon..." I pulled out the tie she gave me from another pocket and placed it in her hands. It really was a perfect match with her deep-blue dress.

"I was wondering where your tie went..." She said as she looked down at it and wrapped it around her fingers.

"Your turn now..." I said gesturing to my collar.

"What?" She exclaimed, looking puzzled, "you want me to put this on for you?"

"Uh hmm" I nodded. Looking straight at her confusion filled eyes.

"Why?"

"Because you got it for me..." I said simply.

"Yeah but..." She was clearly lost for words.

"Come on you're wasting time... " I tried to hasten her non existent movements.

"You're doing this deliberately.. " she muttered darkly.

Yes I was. "What am I doing?"

She faltered as she stared at my eyes and then at my collar repeatedly, while I stood straight and still. A little amused.

The Alex I knew would have tried to choke me with that tie, so I grew wary. Was I seriously endangering my life right now... I must be truly nuts.

"But, I don't know how to make a tie knot," She said finally.

"You don't?" This was news to me. I frowned at her.

"I don't." She admitted, "do it yourself!" She threw the blue tie back at me as she started walking away, much like how she gave it to me the first time.

I caught it again, smiling with amusement "I'll teach you..." I called after her.

"I don't wanna learn." She called back, before disappearing around the corner, while I stood there with that tie in my hands, staring at the spot she was at just moments ago and smiling for no reason.

She was adamant on believing that her and I were a bad idea, I just had to make her see it wasn't so bad, and I'm going to make sure she understands.

***************************

In an hour or so the event was well underway, many guests were already present, and the hallways were now occupied with groups of people standing and talking, looking at art, enjoying the champagne being served while making donations on the side. Everyone wore a ribbon pinned to their lapel to signify the event's awareness and honour the cause.

I already felt like I heard my name being called like a gazillion times and the night was only just beginning.

The auction was about to start in an hour or so, and I was looking for Alex, I was sure she was somewhere, stressed over something still, instead of walking with me to the front row.

"Alex come on! I need you to meet some people." Many people were asking to meet her.

She was saying something about the flower arrangements to the waitress and midway turned to meet my impatient eyes.

"Just give me two more minutes, then I'm all yours." She turned back to work at hand without anything else and I was glad because my gaze instantly softened as I continued to stare at her.

Was it weird that I liked the way she said those last three words, maybe it was.

Gosh, I can't believe I'm having such thoughts. What's happening to me?

I crossed my arms and waited for her, the two minutes she asked for were longer than our standard 120 seconds for some reason.

"Jensen!" Someone called, grabbing my attention.

When I looked to see who it was, Josh hopped out in his usual party black tux and gave me the usual one sided hug.

"Are you attending tomorrow's conference?" He asked.

"Of course, why would you doubt that?" I said as a matter of fact.

He nodded and then said "I forgot who I was talking to....by the way, where's Alex? She was the planner right?"

"She's right here" I said gesturing to her standing behind me, as she finally finished giving orders to the poor stressed looking waitress and turned around to face us.

"Alex?" He looked her up and down and I smacked the back of his head. Moron.

He glared at me but quickly turned back to face her.

"Would you like to run away with me?" He asked as soon as he moved to stand in front of her and I tried to ignore my best friend's sad attempt at flirting.

Alex laughed "Josh, where the hell were you?" She pulled him into a hug.

Even this idiot gets a hug. Why didn't she hug me?

He ignored her question and said "Alex, you look Ah-mazing!"

"So do you, Mr. heart-breaker" she teased.

"Sweetheart, you're the one breaking hearts today....trust me" he shot back, looking at me from the corner of his eye.

She rolled her eyes and scoffed, "really? Does that line really work for you?"

"Usually." He admitted, "you are just hard to impress..." and smiled at her. If he won't stop his compulsive flirting I might just... I don't even know what I might do. I sighed, in an attempt to calm down.

"By the way, I just met your Mum and Dad, isn't it great?" Josh told her.

"You did? Where are they, I didn't even know when they got here, no one called me..." She grew exasperated.

"Relax, would you? They're probably here somewhere, let's go find them..." I said and turned to glare at Josh, who smiled cheekily at me. Idiot.

We were stopped by many guests countless times every two steps we took, I was pretty good at small talk, and when it came to small talk about business, that was my speciality.

Alex on the other hand seemed bored, but she didn't make it obvious, it was in the small things I observed like how her eyes kept fleeting around looking for familiar faces, and how she pressed her lips together impatiently, and how she suddenly gripped my arm and subtly tugged.

A waiter approached us with some drinks, I picked up two wine glasses and handed one to Alex.

"Thank you" she muttered, before downing it in one go, bottoms up.

My eyes widened. "Woah... take it easy, as much as I like drunk Alex, you kinda need to stay sober tonight."

"Drunk me is stupid." She frowned and protested.

I smiled, "I'm not disagreeing." She then looked confused, realising how she backed herself in a corner.

I found a familiar face in the crowd and a small smile landed upon my lips.

Raymond Harper was a man in his late fifties, he wore a grey tux and was smiling at someone fondly, he was my dad's friend and was like a father figure for me.

"Come here, I want you to meet someone" I told Alex and together we approached him.

I was about to shake his hand when Alex beat me to it and instead gave him a friendly hug.

They know each other?

"Uncle Ray!" she almost chirped at him and then pulled away.

Okay, so they know each other.

"Alex, you're looking lovely as usual" he complimented her, like they were close friends.

"Thank you" she smiled and complimented him in return "And look at you, don't you look dashing!"

He rolled his eyes at her good naturedly "don't make fun of me young lady..."

"I wouldn't dare" she dramatised, contradicting herself in the process, "but uncle Ray, where's the Missus?" She asked.

As if on cue a thin woman in a purple dress joined our conversation "Alex, what a surprise darling!" Mrs. Harper exclaimed, trapping Alex in a tight hug.

Raymond could finally turn to acknowledge me and we shook hands "It's good to see you Jensen" he said.

"Good to see you too.." I nodded.

"The business is still up and running I hope" he said playfully.

"Managing it somehow" I replied airily.

"Stephen would have been proud of you" he smiled with crinkling eyes, I didn't say anything, only nodded back a little, like I always do when someone mentions my dad.

"Ray... don't make the boy sad" Mrs. Harper interjected, slapping her husband lightly on the arm.

"How are you Jensen?" She came forward to give me a motherly hug.

"I'm good" I muttered with a smile. "Mom was complaining you don't visit more often" I told her.

"She was? And here I thought Lydia forgot about me" she said.

"Of course not. She'll be here tonight, maybe you both can catch up." I suggested.

"That we will." She then turned to look at Alex, and said, "I heard you planned the event, it looks amazing."

Alex, smiled modestly, "It wasn't entirely me of course, but I'm glad you're enjoying yourself."

Some more small talk later we moved on to other guests, and basically went around the Hall acknowledging everyone that came in today.

About an hour later, we ended up at the bar, a little tired, as we watched the crowd.

"The party set up could have been better, it's not exactly bad, but the music and everything, it's not really going with the whole mood... " Some guy was speaking loud enough for the two of us to hear.

Alex had put in a lot of effort for today and I was not going to just stand and watch as someone runs their mouth because they feel so entitled to an unnecessarily loud opinion.

Before I could speak up and tell that guy to shut his trap, Alex said something that rendered me confused.

"You can save your criticism for the dancers who come to audition at your studio." It seemed she was talking to that guy.

He walked around to stand in front of her and grinned. "Was I so transparent?"

"You're dumb" She told him instead. He was wearing a white tux that matched his toothy grin.

"Alright, it was just a joke, no need to insult me-..." He cut himself short and paused for a moment too long. "You look gorgeous." He said before he moved closer to give her a hug.

She rolled her eyes and muttered "shut up." before she hugged him back and then stepped away.

I watched this interaction feeling severely out of loop and unsettled at the familiarity and affection they both obviously had for each other.

Alex then turned to look at me and introduced us, "This is my friend Sam and this is Jensen my boss." She said gesturing between us.

We shook hands, "Nice to meet you, I'm glad you could make it." I repeated the words I've been saying all evening.

"Of course, it's for a good cause." He said, with a genuine smile.

**********************

"Mom come on stop feeding me, I've eaten enough!" I complained, she of course didn't falter and shoved a fork with stuffed mushroom in my mouth. Are all mothers like this?

"You haven't been taking care of yourself, running around all over the place." She grumbled, pointing at the table. "Sit here and finish that plate, you have become so thin...."

What? I was actually offended. She did not just insult all of the time I spend in gym with that one single sentence.

I couldn't really say anything to defend myself that wouldn't start another whole different argument so I sighed heavily.

"Mom, I don't have time... " The auction was about to start soon. Now that mom has met with all her friends she was free to nag at me.

"Don't give me that crap again, you always have the same excuse, last time I told you to visit and you didn't have time even then, before that you were in Missouri and before that there was some important meeting with the investors..." She fixed me with the glare only mothers very capable of.

"I ah..." That's because I wasn't making excuses, I was telling the truth.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder and I prayed it wasn't Alex, for she would never let me live this down. I turned around and sighed in relief, it was just Kate.

"Kate, how are you?" My mom asked her with a smile.

My secretary smiled back at her, "I'm doing great Mrs. Black, how are you?"

"I'm just fine, you should remind my son to visit me once in a while, he rarely does." She complained like I wasn't standing right there and listening.

Kate smirked at me, "I'll try my best."

Since the auction was about to begin, Kate had found me in the crowd, and basically saved me from my mother trying to force feed me. "it's time." She came up to me and whispered in my ear. "You have your speech ready?"

"What speech?" I asked and she paled.

"How else are you planning to start off the auction?" She asked.

"Do I have to?" I mumbled, and looking at her I knew I had no other option. "Fine... I'll just make an impromptu speech if that's what it takes."

"Alright, I'll go tell them we are ready." And with that she brisk walked away.

"Mom I'll be right back" I said as I followed Kate, Mom stood there looking displeased that I didn't overeat.

"Where's Alex?" I asked Kate as I caught up.

"I saw her with her Mom and Dad a few minutes ago... " Kate told me.

"Call her, tell her to stay close." Kate nodded and started typing on her phone.

We both reached the staging area, and soon I was climbing up the stairs to a podium. I tapped the microphone to check if it was on, and heads turned to look up at me.

"Good evening and welcome." I said, pulling everyone's attention as a silence descended. Just keep it short and sweet, I thought to myself.

"I am very thankful that you all came here today for the annual charity event and made it a success. It's not something I do every year, in fact as most of you know, it would have been my sister standing here instead of me if it wasn't for her work that is keeping her away. I know a lot of you miss her and to all of you she sends her love."

"Jenny started this charity in loving memory of dad... " I could see my mom in the crowd with a sad smile on her face, I smiled back. "And she wanted it to become a hope for all those who can still live a normal life and move forward even after going through something as difficult as a disease that weakens your very will to live."

"It's an honor for me to show my support towards such a great cause and I thank you all for your generous contributions."

Applause filled the central hall and echoed off the walls as I stood in front of the microphone. I looked at Alex, she was standing close clapping and smiling like she was impressed at my speech.

As the applause slowed down, I added, "Before I step away, I would also like to thank everyone who worked towards making this night as wonderful as it is. And I would like to invite Alex Brook to please join me on the stage."

Her eyes widened as I said that looking straight at her, I clapped along with every one to encourage her to come on the stage, she reluctantly complied.

When she was standing next to me I continued, "she planned every detail very meticulously and I couldn't have done this whole thing without her. So thankyou." I said to her.

She blushed, looking like she wanted to be anywhere but there as I passed her the microphone, and although she smiled, her eyes still glowered at me for putting her on the spot.

"Thanks for the heads up Jensen" She said into the microphone sarcastically, everyone laughed, I smiled in amusement.

"Good evening everyone..." She sighed, "I was not prepared for this..." She smiled awkwardly, looking lost for words.

"I'm not gonna lie at first I was quite reluctant and apprehensive about planning this event, but when I found out what it stood for and represented, I couldn't walk away from it." She said. "I have Jensen Black to thank for, of course and I'm very appreciative of everyone who cooperated and joined forces with me."

"Am I going out of business now?" A lady, who I knew was Alex's mom hollered from the crowd. She was clearly proud of what her daughter has accomplished.

Chuckles and smiles spread across the room at her words.

"No mom, rest assured... This was a one time thing." Alex replied, and more laughs followed.

"I hope you all find everything to your satisfaction and I hope you all will enjoy the night. Thankyou" I looked at her and smiled as applause followed her words.

I offered her my hand and she took it as we both walked down the stage. The auction soon began and then I had no business being there so Alex dragged me out of there.

I would have appreciated that any other day, but right now I knew she was not very pleased with what I just did without giving her a heads up.

"How could you, that was not fair Jensen." She said as soon as she found an empty place and cornered me against the wall. 

"What did you think, I was not going to just disregard the fact that you worked so hard for this day." She deserves the appreciation, I haven't given her enough credit for everything she has accomplished since she was appointed.

"I would have preferred it that way... " She scowled. She stood tall, looking straight in my eyes with her arms crossed.

"Too bad... " I said, not meaning it of course, as I stared back in her deep brown eyes.

"You could have at least told me what you were about to do, no wonder you asked me to stay close." She grumbled, "I should have known."

"Told you? So that you could talk me out of it or disappear?" She frowned when I said exactly what she had been thinking. She's so predictable sometimes.

"You are soo... Urgh!" She punched my shoulder while I was totally caught off-guard.

I actually flinched, stumbled back and then righted myself against the wall I was standing at. Damn, she can throw a punch.

Her eyes widened, "shit! Are you alright?" She examined my shoulder in concern as if she expected it to bleed or something, I smiled at that.

I couldn't help myself when I wrapped my arms around her waist and drew her close to me, her eyes looked at me with alarm. I pulled her closer still and hugged her, she stood awkwardly in my arms, but slowly relaxed.

"What are you doing?" She asked quietly, I smiled.

"I just wanted a hug too... " Was all I said. She smelled like lavenders.

"I'm still mad at you." She informed, making my smile grow wider.

"I know... "

***********************

"Is she really friends with them?" Josh asked me as we both stood next to the bar and looked at Alex and her group of friends.

"I think so... " I answered.

She was talking and laughing with Matthew Winters, a renown artist and the guy Sam whom I met earlier, Kate was with them too and they all seemed fairly close.

"Alex is friends with Sam Henderson and Matthew Winters and her brother is Kyle Brook?" Josh was clearly losing his mind, "How is she sane?"

I disregarded his blabber and voiced my curiosity, "You know the guy in white tux?"

"Of course, he's Sam Henderson the world-class contemporary dancer, He owns the 'ballet platinum' dance company." Josh explained.

"Doesn't ring a bell." I said.

"Of course, not like you'll ever indulge in entertainment." Josh mumbled sarcastically, "do you think he'll give me an autograph if I asked?" He asked Fanboy-ing eagerly.

"You might not wanna look like a crazy fanboy if you really want to be their friend." I suggested.

"Their friend?" His eyes widened dramatically.

"Yeah, let's go talk to them..." I said, "Act natural... "

"What? No! I'm not ready!" He whisper-yelled. "I don't know how to act natural... Jensen!"

"There you are... I was looking for you..." I said to Alex, just as I was in hearing range. She turned to look at me.

"Why? Is there a problem?" She frowned.

"No of course not, relax would you, I know you planned everything, but now enjoy it like you didn't" I told her.

She smiled, "That's good advice and all Jensen but I'm just gonna be a little on edge till the night ends... It can't be helped."

"You know what, you need to get drunk... " Matthew advised.

"That's not a bad idea." Josh agreed. I think at this point Josh would agree even if he said the sky was green. "I'm Josh Collins by the way... " He shook hands with Sam and Matthew as they introduced themselves.

"I know... I'm a huge fan." He said with a wide and admittedly creepy grin. Way to act natural.

Kate glared at her brother, for the 'get drunk' comment. "Could you keep your crap suggestions to yourself?"

"Hey, that's actually a great idea..." Sam interjected, "a little buzz would take the edge off." He picked up a champagne glass from a passing waiter and offered it to her.

"I have to drive home, so no thank you." She denied, trying to hand it back.

"Don't worry, I'll drive you home... " He said, "I'll even tuck you in, if you passed out." He winked flirtatiously.

Alex rolled her eyes at him, but decided to accept the offer, "I don't know why I'm trusting you after what happened last time with Kyle." She sipped at the champagne glass she held.

I glanced between them skeptically.

"Oh come on, give me some credit, besides we all know Kyle is especially stupid." Sam defended himself.

"You are such a good best-friend." Matthew remarked, anyone could tell he was being sarcastic.

"I don't want to run from another bodyguard, just no thank you..." Alex turned to look at me, smiling slyly.

Looking at all other clueless faces she back peddled, and then from the very beginning started telling them all about that night we planned the whole 'run from the bodyguard' mission.

I could feel Sam looking between me and Alex with curious eyes, like he wanted to know the depth of our friendship. I didn't know that myself.

"It was so bizarre, my heart was pounding the whole night and we weren't even doing anything illegal." She completed.

"I do wish he figured it out and went back home." I added, about the bodyguard whoever he was.

"I sure hope so, poor guy." Kate acknowledged.

"Woah, I didn't know you ghost people you don't want around... " Matthew joked.

"Only if you're paid to stay with me." She commented.

***************************

Alex and I went around looking at all the art piece exhibits most of them were sold during the auction.

I stopped in front of a huge frame and Alex grew curious as to what caught my attention "is that a Pokemon?" She wondered aloud.

"It's supposed to be a tree? " I said, after reading from the description.

"Maybe it's torterra" She supplied.

I chuckled, "I didn't know you were such a nerd." She rolled her eyes.

I was actually enjoying a party after a long time and it felt nice to let loose.

Josh found me again, and this time he was a little tipsy. I hope he doesn't drink more.

It took awhile for us to roam around since those who knew us stopped to have a little chat. I introduced Alex to my friends from other business companies and she handled herself pretty well.

Everyone laughed and talked to her, I think they liked her more than they liked me.

The party was slowing down now, there were no more scheduled events so now everybody drank, ate and danced around on the dance floor.

Alex's name was called and she turned around to see a smiling Sam approaching her. I didn't like his smile one bit.

He somehow managed to cut through a throng of people and came up to her in no time. He took her hand and said, "come on Lexi let's go dance."

"No way buddy, not in these heels" She denied, shaking her head vigorously.

"Seriously? This is our song!" He frowned as she stood her ground. My hands fisted up and my jaw clenched, I had to restrain myself from telling him off.

"No. Not happening, you know better than anyone else, heels and I don't mix well." She said to him.

"Why did you even wear them?" A glare from her silenced him, but he started again with a different approach, "One dance just one, come on, don't break my heart..."

She sighed but then gave in and allowed him to pull her to the busy dancefloor.

I took a seat at the bar, with Josh, sipped my champagne and watched as they both walked to the centre of the dance floor and started dancing to the quick paced jazz music.

"I think he just stole your girl." Josh remarked, finding it funny.

"Shut up will you?" I glared at my drunk friend.

Their movements were in perfect sync and graceful, as they danced and people made more room for them as they moved around.

"Is this a free concert?" Josh watched with aww, in fact everyone around were now watching them in amazement.

He said something and she threw her head back in a laugh. I was torturing myself by looking at them but I continued nonetheless.

I didn't like seeing them laughing and joking like that and suddenly I was annoyed at everything.

Champagne wasn't working for me, I needed something stronger. I refrained myself though, Josh was drunk enough for the two of us.

I was jealous.
There...I admitted it.

The acceptance didn't help, the troubled feeling I felt inside was still very much there and grew with every moment as my night took a turn for worse.

Sam looked at her like she was the only one he could see, while she looked as breathtaking as ever.

Josh turned to face me with disappointed eyes.

"What?" I couldn't stand his stubborn gaze.

"Why are you standing around, go dance with her." He said.

"Yeah, right... " As if I can dance like him.

"Go on you're overthinking this." He said pushing me towards the dance floor, not that I moved even an inch because of his frail attempts.

The song was about to end soon.
I downed the champagne impulsively and almost slammed the glass down on the counter. Without a second thought, I walked up to them.

"Can I cut in?" I asked, my voice was polite but my eyes were probably throwing daggers at Sam. The song switched in the background and can't take my eyes off you started to play.

"Sure..." he agreed as Alex nodded, after giving her a small parting smile he walked away.

I took her hands in mine and put them around my neck, placing my hands on her waist, I held her close to me.

To say she was shocked, would be an understatement. Her eyes were wide and her jaw dropped.

"What?" I smirked, raising an eyebrow to express my confusion. "I can't dance with you?"

"I thought you don't dance at all" she said, quickly composing herself.

"Well, you thought wrong" I simply shrugged as we both moved to the music. I twirled her out and pulled her back in, her dress whirled around her ankles like rising and falling waves as she followed my lead but ended up getting closer than ever, our bodies aligned and fit together while our eyes met and held.

She smirked, "you've got some moves..." I could now smell her sweet perfume and my heart rate started to pick up.

I chuckled, "see if you can keep up." I teased, knowing very well that she can easily make me dance to her tune if she wishes to.

Josh was giving me "thumbs up" from across the room, his gesture of approval at seeing Alex in my arms. I rolled my eyes at his level of maturity and ignored him.

The song came to an end and another one started but we didn't stop dancing.

************************

A couple hours later the last of the guests were gone and the crew had started cleaning up after everything.

It was past midnight as Alex and I lounged in the main office room. It was furnished with plush couches, carpets, a desk with computer, crystal chandeliers and a mini bar.

She got comfortable as she removed her heels and walked around the visibly soft carpet.

"Now I know why Kate said they were killer heels...." she muttered under her breath but loud enough for me to hear.

I removed my coat, but left my waistcoat on as I neared the mini bar and looked inside. I wanted to talk to her about Sam but I didn't understand how to broach the subject. Was I being too intrusive?

I needed a drink for this conversation. I looked in the liquor cabinet, poured myself two fingers of scotch and brought the rim of the glass to my lips. It's been a while since I last drank, but I wasn't drinking to get drunk today.

Alex watched me with curious apprehensive eyes that held me in place.

"I was wondering...?" I hesitated, but decided to just put it out there.

"About?" She encouraged me.

"If us working together is the only reason you don't want to date me?" There I said it.

Alex smiled, almost deviously, "You want to date me?"

I raised an eyebrow, and tugged at my tie to loosen it. "was I not clear enough?"

"Not really... " She shook her head.

"Well.. " I shrugged, "now you know..." I said, "so tell me, is there another reason?"

"Why do you ask?" She seemed genuinely curious.

"It seemed like your 'friend' Sam likes you, and maybe you-... "

Her laugh cut me off, "No way. Sam is a friend, we've been together since childhood, and besides, I like someone else... " She trailed off, leaving me with curious concern and strange eagerness.

"Someone else huh? Who?" I asked, my voice dropped lower like I wasn't prepared for what was happening.

She looked up at me and I was a goner. "Who do you think?"

She was inviting me to approach with those bashfully beautiful eyes and tempting me with those smiling lips.

Grip on my glass tightened and I placed it aside when my knuckles turned white.

I was barely holding on to my restraint... as I walked as close to her as I dared. She was an inch shorter now that she wasn't wearing her heels, and I liked how she could come up to my neck if I held her.

She was close.... too close, but not close enough somehow and it was driving me crazy.

I wanted to wrap my arms around her and pull her to me, make her laugh and see her smile just for me.

She was looking at me still, her piercing eyes held me, almost as if she was waiting, hoping...maybe.

Don't do or say anything that would potentially change our relationship. I reminded myself. But somehow I didn't want to follow through.

It wasn't an impulse as I leaned in, fighting for control while resisting it all at once, but she didn't step away and that encouraged me.

She closed her eyes as my hand slowly came to rest on her cheek, her skin felt so delicately soft, I smiled, drawing her closer... and then suddenly the door was opened from outside, and someone called, "Alex-"

Alex opened her eyes reflexively, staring straight up at me, she stepped away quickly as we both turned to look at the door.

Sam stood there, looking between us with a frown, he definitely saw what was going on. He attempted to speak again, "Didn't you ask for a ride?"

"Yeah, um... I'll be right out." She told him, making no attempt of moving just yet.

"Alright, I'll... I'll go get the car... " And with that he left, leaving the room we stood inside, in a cold silence.

Alex looked back at me, unsure gaze flicked around but landed on my face every time, before she looked away. She picked up her heels and slipped them back on, I just watched her as she moved around the room collecting her belongings.

Did I do something wrong?

She wasn't meeting my eyes and I didn't like that one bit. When she was about to walk out, I stood in her path, "Alex wait-!" I didn't even know what I was about to say.

I probably overstepped my boundaries, maybe I should apologize...

She looked up at me, and slowly smiled, "I uh... I like you." She said making my eyes go wide with surprise, I did not see that coming. "in case that wasn't obvious." She added, as an after-thought.

Standing on her tiptoes she leaned in to press a feather-light kiss to my cheek, "I'll see you tomorrow Jensen." and with that she flitted out of the door while I forgot how to breathe.

******************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

497K 12.4K 36
'Needs a lot of editing' We break the kiss hurriedly and look in the door's direction to see Andrea. "Oh my god, sorry. I didn't know you were eating...
649K 21K 37
He looks at me now, his gray eyes staring at me intensely. Love me! I wanted to tell him. Choose me! I wanted to say. But he's engaged, and he's gett...
12.1M 405K 39
#1 in romance genre (1stJan - 8th Jan.) ( Again placed #1 in romance in Feb) Aaron got up from his seat and walked round the table towards her while...
9.4M 453K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...