Court of Nightmares and Ruin

By jspruill1130

Don't get frostbitten while reading this dark, gripping, passionate retelling of Snow White. Icelyn, the pri... More

Author Notes
Gregorian Map
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 26

4K 232 3
By jspruill1130

Icelyn

The sun peeked through the cracks in the tree branches; its rays teased my eyes and threatened to awaken me from my warm cocoon. After much reluctance, I opened my eyes and glanced up to see Kohl looking down at me. I snuggled closer to his chest as his arms tightened around me.

I reveled in the sensation of our mate bond as it buzzed between us. It was a permanent tether forever linking us. I could feel everything he felt, his moods, his passion, and most importantly, his happiness.

"Do you intend to stay here all day?" Kohl's chest vibrated as he spoke, and I smiled up at him.

"With you? Yes."

"If you continue to lay in my arms with no clothes on, I will be forced to repeat what happened between us last night." His eyes danced with mischief, and my body heated up again.

I wanted him as badly as he wanted me. I pulled him closer, desperate to fill the void he had created in me. I had a hunger for him that his body could only satisfy. I would ignite if he didn't douse the fire soon.

"Kohl." I startled as I heard Athen hovering nearby, clearing her throat nervously as if ashamed to interrupt us. And...just like that, the moment was gone.

Light as a feather, Kohl brushed his lips against my temple and pulled me to my feet. Regrettably, he was fully clothed in an instant, but not before I caught a peek of his muscled backside. Kohl waved his hand over me, and I was dressed in my usual training outfit.

We walked out from our secluded oasis. Kohl nodded his head in greeting Athen, but I couldn't help but see her with spiteful eyes for interrupting our morning tryst.

"My apologies, but we have an urgent matter that needs your attention. One of your scouts told me this morning that the Princess of the Sirens was stolen from her home last night. The Merpeople threaten war against the land dwellers if she is not returned."

Holy shiitake mushrooms! My mouth fell open as I looked over to Kohl. He, of course, was standing there with an expression like he didn't have a care in the world.

"I have to be in the Day Realm in an hour to speak to their king. Take the Queen with you. She can handle this."

If at all possible, my mouth gaped even wider.

"You can't be serious, Kohl?" I gripped his arm with urgency.

"You are our Queen now. A stolen princess shouldn't be a problem you cannot handle," he reassured me.

"That's not what I mean. You are going to the Day Realm, the realm that is waging war with the other four realms that have the iron weapons!?"

The volume and speed of my voice increased with each syllable. Iron was deadly, and we still did not know how the Day fae could even weld such weapons. I felt my heart clench painfully at the mere thought of losing Kohl. If something happened to him, I would not want to continue living.

"Snowflake, your concern is in vain. Even if they were stupid enough to attack me, which I doubt, they'd have to catch me first." He placed his fingers under my chin and urged me to look him in the eyes.

"I will be back before you know it." He placed a kiss on my lips that had me pining for more.

"Athen, protect my queen." Kohl turned to her, and she nodded her head in understanding. Then he vanished in a swirling cloud of mist.

"Come, Icelyn, we better get started. The sooner we find the missing Princess, the sooner we stop this impending war. Gage will carry you. We need to take to the sky to cover more ground."

"I will not be carried around like an infant. Fetch Nero. I will ride him."

Athen huffed in irritation but did not argue as she sent one of the men to collect Nero. Soon, I heard his mighty wings flap and smiled as my precious boy landed in front of me, nuzzling his nose close for affection.

"I've missed you too, my dark knight." I scratched him between his eyes and then quickly mounted him.

We all take to the sky with Athen yelling commands. The group divided to cover more ground. We flew for a while until a sparkling light reflection caught my attention.

"There," Athen said and swooped towards the light, I urged Nero to follow her, and we landed in a clearing.

"What was that?" I asked as Athen stood and waited.

"I sent out the Night Elves this morning. They have been tracking the Princess. If they signaled us to land, that means they found something."

I waited patiently, and soon a horde of small, wicked-looking creatures entered the clearing. They were only about two feet in height, but that fact did not make them any less intimidating.

They crowded around us. Their dark and shifty-looking eyes caused me to become uneasy. The biggest of them stepped towards me and held out his hand. It took everything within me to offer him my hand in return. I held my breath as he brought my hand to his wicked little mouth, which was filled with sharp teeth. I had the horrifying vision of him chewing off my fingers. Instead, he lightly brushed his cold lips against my knuckles and released my hand.

"Your majesty." He smiled if you can call that a smile, and they all took to one knee.

"That's really not necessary, but your respect is appreciated. Tell me what you have found." He smiled again, and I felt guilty for judging them simply based on their looks. They were really charming little creatures once you got pass their looks.

"Slavers. They are about four leagues from here, due North. About a dozen of them, shall we join you in contouring these fends?"

I looked over at Athen, who subtly shook her head.

"No, we will handle it from here, but thank you for everything you have done."

"Until we meet again, my queen." He held out his hand again, and I allowed him to kiss my knuckles again. Then the whole group vanished into the thick forest as if they were never there.

"I think he likes you." Athen laughed at my side, and I rolled my eyes.

"It's best if we continue on foot from here. We don't want to give away our position." Athen motioned for the men to spread out, and we carefully picked our way through the rough terrain.

"What exactly are we up against?" I asked Athen as we were near the area the Night Elves specified.

"Slavers are nasty Night Realm fae that entraps other fae and sell them on the black market as pets, slaves, sex slaves, or for any other purpose of a buyer."

"That's horrible."

"I thought we had wiped most of them out, but apparently, we missed some. They must be desperate to be foolish enough to take a siren royal. That or someone is paying a very high price."

The noise up ahead had us both shutting our mouths and crunching low. I peered through the bushes. Their camp was overrun with slaver fae. I counted about thirteen of them. My heart throbbed achingly in my chest as I looked around and saw the other helpless fae in cages and chains, most bloodied and beaten. I gasped a little too loud as a slaver approached a tiny green goblin begging for water and started to hit him with a whip.

Athen threw her hand over my mouth as two of them peered into the bushes towards us. We both went deathly still, and eventually, they turned away.

"I'm going in there. You prepare the men," I said and started to stand.

"Are you crazy? You can't just walk in there like you own the place," Athen hissed and grabbed my arm.

"I most certainly can because I do own the place. I am Queen, after all." I pushed Athen away and walked towards their camp, with Athen cursing me under her breath.

I walked confidently through the opening, passing several slavers as I went until I reached the center of the campsite. All eyes were on me, and most had shocked expressions, which was precisely what I had hoped for. If all eyes were on me, they couldn't see the hell that was getting ready to rain down on them.

"Good day. I need to introduce myself. I am Icelyn, Queen of the Night Realm, and those are my people you have locked up...I want them released...Now." I smiled sweetly and braced myself as they all lunged at me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.9K 1.7K 35
Freya who has no username woke up from the winter. 70% of her body is snow. She is also bloomed with powers colder than ice. She can make it winter i...
1.2M 48.7K 46
"As I laid on the filthy mat, my white hair fanning out like a halo around my head, I felt that ice inside of me fester. It grew and spread until it...
3.1K 1.2K 45
16 + For mature themes such as war, gore, violence, triggering content such as mental health issues, brief mention of rape/sexual assault, curse word...
383K 26.2K 52
When Summer Princess Lumikki is offered to the Winter King as payment for a debt, the Winter court is dragged into chaos. Alone in a foreign land, wi...