𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 πŽπ… 𝐓𝐇𝐄...

By -flowermoons

π‘¦π‘œπ‘’ π‘Žπ‘›π‘‘ 𝑖 π‘€π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘’ π’˜π’“π’Šπ’•π’•π’†π’ 𝑖𝑛 π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘ π‘‘π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘ . Β© -flowermoons 2020 ─ based on the voyage of... More

𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝐻𝐸𝐴𝑅𝑇 𝑂𝐹 𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝑆𝐸𝐴.
&& GRAPHIC GALLERY
I. THE BUTTERFLY
II. THE SAVIOR
III. SEA LEGS
IV. THE CASTAWAYS
V. TALL TALES
VI. ADVENTURE AWAITS
VII. SMOOTH WORDS
VIII. A QUEST
IX. THE STORM
X. THE TIN MAN
XI. EUSTACE THE DRAGON
XII. ASLANS TABLE
XIII. THE SEA SERPENT
XV. FOREVER AND ALWAYS

XIV. A GRAND ADVENTURE

9.1K 410 137
By -flowermoons

. * .    .  °  . ● ° . 
¸ .  ★ ° :. . • °  . * :. ☆

Sun gleamed down onto their backs with a comforting and nurturing warmth as Edmund and Caspian moved their oars in-sync across the water infested with thousands of lilies that extended right up to the shoreline –– Aslan's country. Perched besides Reepicheep by the bow of the small longboat, the smile never left Anna's face as she glanced out into the distance.

"So what was it like when Aslan changed you back?" Edmund asked Eustace.

"No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't do it myself. Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt but it was a good pain. Y'know like when you pull a thorn out from your foot. Being a dragon wasn't all bad––"

"See!" Anna said with a laugh as she contributed to the conversation, "I told you! Dragons are wonderful and you made a wonderful dragon and a mighty hero as a boy. I'm glad to call you a friend."

Despite the grin that stretched upon his lips at her words, Eustace lowered his head a little as if he was ashamed, "I mean, I think I was a better dragon than I was a boy, really."

Anna seemed horrified by his words as the boy looked towards Lucy.

"I'm so sorry for being such a sop," The boy confessed.

"It's okay Eustace, you were a pretty good dragon," Edmund commented with a smile towards his cousin.

"A wonderful dragon!" Echoed Anna from behind Edmund and Caspian towards Eustace who let out a thrill of laughter.

Reepicheep smiled, his voice clear and soft as they all turned to face what was in the distance, "My friends, we have arrived!"

The longboat slid against the sand as Anna and Reepicheep hopped out first as the others followed. Anna's foots dug into the grainy sand as her blue eyes widened at the sight right up of the standing wave in the distance that separated them from what was most likely Aslan's country.

"Aslan," Eustace echoed and they all turned.

Anna could feel her eyes widen. That was the same lion she saw in the mirror reflection. Although she could feel fear etch itself upon her when he spoke she realised he was good, "Welcome children. You have done well. Very well indeed. You have come far and now your journey is at its end."

A deep sadness punctured through Anna's heart, she didn't want the adventure in Narnia to ever end.

"Is this your country?" Lucy asked.

"No," The lion answered, "My country lies beyond."

"Is my father in your country?" Caspian asked.

"You can only find that out for yourself, my son. You should know that if you continue there is no return."

Caspian took slow steps forwards towards the wave, his foots drenched in water as his fingertips reaching out to touch the water but then paused, turning back with a face full of regret and shame and tears in his eyes.

"You're not going?" Anna said weakly as she too seemed on the verge of tears.

"I can't imagine my father would be very proud that I gave up what he died for. I spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not what was given. I was given a kingdom. People. . . love."

Caspian turned to Aslan, "I promise to be a better King."

"You already are," The great lion soothed.

"Children?" Aslan asked his gaze shifting towards the other five.

"I think perhaps it's we time home actually, Lu," Edmund admitted to his sister.

Lucy looked overwhelmed with emotion, "I thought you loved it here."

"I do but I love home and our family as well. They need us."

"Ahem," Reepicheep excused bounding towards the lion and bowed, "Your imminence, ever since I can remember I have dreamt of seeing your country. I've had many great adventures in this world but nothing as dampened that yerning. I know I am hardly worthy but with your permission, I would lay down my sword for the joy of seeing your country with my own eyes."

"My country was made for noble hearts such as yours. No matter how small their bearers be."

"Your majesty," Reepicheep bowed in thanks.

Anna noticed that her cheeks were wet and she sighed when she realised she didn't have Lucy's handkerchief.

"No one could be more deserving," Caspian spoke softly.

"W-well, I––" Reepicheep started only to be cut off by Edmund who confessed with a bow to the large mouse which also bowed, "It's true." 

Lucy walked over to Reepicheep and kneeled in the sand before him, "May I?"

"Well, I suppose," Reepicheep admitted only to be held in a tight embrace with Lucy.

From beside her Eustace, both joined in the waterworks as he moved forwards and alike Lucy knelt down into the sand.

"Don't cry," Reepicheep pleaded with the boy.

"I don't understand," Eustace confessed, "I might not see you again. Ever."

The mouse's expression softened with emotion before he told the boy, "What a magnificent friend and a true hero. It has been an honour to fight beside such a warrior," The mouse said with wavering emotion.

The mouse looked to Anna once Eustace stood back with Lucy and Edmund as she sank gently into the sand on her knees, her vision blurred with tears.

"I don't want to say goodbye because saying goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting you, Reep. I never want to forget you, you were my first friend in Narnia and possibly in comparison to my world as well. Thank you so so much."

The mouse nodded in understatement, gently patting her knee in comfort as she continued to cry —— before adding with a mousey smile, "You always made such a splendid pirate, Anna. It was an honour to have such a grand adventure with a grand and exceptional friend. Thank you."

Anna nodded and smiled, before standing and dusting as much of the damp sand from her knees before she moved to stand with the others.

The emotions that circled with Anna were both saddening and bittersweet as she watched Reepicheep clamber into the boat and paddle over the stagnant wave and over into Aslan's country.

"This is our last time here isn't it?" Lucy asked the lion, Aslan.

"Yes. You have grown up, my dear one, just like Peter and Susan."

Lucy reached for the lion, her fingertips reaching out and brushing against his mane, "Will you visit us in our world?"

"I shall be watching you always."

"How?" Lucy breathed, her cheeks shining with tears.

"In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason you were brought to Narnia. By knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."

"Will we meet again?" Lucy asked.

"Mmm yes, dear one. One day," He promised.

Aslan let out a violent roar that sent shivers down her spine. A circular swirling path was created amongst the wave.

"Your majesty," Anna stepped forwards towards the lion, her eyes filled with tears, "If Lucy and Edmund –– if it's their last time here it is mine too, isn't it? I'm much too old to return through the mirror again."

"Yes, Anna, it appears so. Alike, Edmund and Lucy, you have gained what you needed when you were brought to Narnia. Don't let it burden your heart. I believe you have two options –– a choice to stay in Narnia or return to the world of your birth."

"How do I decide? It feels impossible," She pleaded to the lion, her voice cracking as her eyes swam with even more tears. How could she choose?

Aslan seemed to grow empathetic with her as he encouraged her gently, "Trust in your heart dear one, it never falters and never lies."

The lion's words brought instant comfort and warmth as she turned and looked up and instantly she knew that from starring into his eyes that it was always him. Caspian was the grand adventure her heart had ached and longed for so long.

To Anna, it was shocking and spellbinding how quickly her heart knew her decision. Anna bowed her head to the lion, "If I would be granted such an honour I wish to stay."

From a little distance, away Caspain could feel his eyes widen in disbelief as his heart warmed –– Anna wanted to stay?

"Then you shall," Aslan answered warmly as if he himself truly approved of her decision.

Anna could feel her eyebrows knit together as she glanced back up at the lion, "But may I ask, will my Aunt Mary be alright?"

"Yes, dear Anna, she would understand your decision —— she knows what it is to find great love and not wish to lose it," The lion answered truthfully, assuring the young woman for the sudden guilt that weighted against the heart —— riddling it with sudden surprise.

"You are the closest thing I have to family," Caspian confessed to Edmund and Lucy, before he chuckled, reaching out to Eustace and giving his shoulder a gentle squeeze, "And that includes you too Eustace."

"Thank you," Eustace replied slightly baffled.

Anna could feel her eyes brim again with tears as Lucy pulled her into an embrace. "We will see each other again," Anna promised Lucy, her fingers smoothing over her brown hair in comfort to Lucy as she suddenly burst into tears, holding on tighter to Anna for a moment before reluctantly letting her go.

It surprised Anna when Edmund embraced her and they both shared a gentle and sad grin –– for once they were both unable to say anything sarcastic to one another before they moved away from one another with a nod and she moved onto Eustace.

Anna ruffled Eustace's dark blond hair in their own sort of goodbye despite his annoyed expression at her actions. She had moved to step away from the boy but he embraced her with a tight hug and surprisingly tears in the corner of his eyes.

"You won't have too many adventures without me, will you?" Anna mused with a slight laugh, her hands giving his shoulders a tight squeeze when their arms fell away from their embrace. Eustace looked to Anna, "Reep was right, y'know, you really did make a grand pirate. I'm sorry I called you weird before."

"That's alright, all is forgiven but I might add that you're a little weird too, dragon boy. . . but all the best people are."

Eustace beamed at Anna whilst Edmund bowed to Aslan, and Lucy buried her face in his mane before they stepped back and waited for their cousin. Anna's heart ached at the sight. It was terrifying to think that it was actually goodbye —— even if her heart refused to admit and acknowledge it. It was horrible to think that she wouldn't see them tomorrow or the next day or the day after that and for what might be the rest of her life.

A hand, warm, large and slightly calloused curled and intertwined with her own fingers. Anna looked up to Caspian with a soft and saddened smile which he returned along with a loving and understanding gaze.

Eustace stood before Aslan, "Will I come back?" He asked.

The lion nodded to the boy who bowed to him, "Narnia may yet have need of you."

Anna smiled and nodded towards the boy, a chip of sadness falling away, replaced with a spark of relief as she realised she might see Eustace again. As Eustace joined Lucy and Edmund, they turned to look back at them and Anna smiled before water washed over in a circular motion before it returned to the way it was before.

The two turned and saw that Aslan was already a great distance from Anna and Caspain, his strong paws leaving a trail of prints in the sand before turning to one another. 

The words tumbled out of his lips as his dark eyes grew misty, "Anna, let me ask why did you stay in Narnia?"

Tears burned in her eyes too as she glanced up at him, "It's sort of silly really but I couldn't leave and live my life without you in it."

Caspian let out a laugh before reaching out and placing his palm against her cheek, his thumb caressing it softly before he dropped his hand and lead them towards the water were the longboat rest against the shoreline, "That isn't silly Anna. Not to me at least."

"Can I stay with you?" Anna asked with a bright blush that grew against her cheeks.

"I'm not just going to leave you on the shoreline, am I?" Caspian laughed, a part of him couldn't believe that this was real. That she was real. That she was with him. That she never wanted to leave him. That he wouldn't be alone anymore.

"No, honestly," Anna confessed truthfully, glancing down at their intertwined fingers before meeting his eyes, "I want to stay with you, forever and always."

"Forever and always then," Caspian said with a magnificent smile before helping Anna into the boat and pushing the longboat out into the water before clambering in himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.3K 1.6K 33
ReaderXEdmund Hello friends! This is a sequel to my first Narnia FanFic "An Unexpected Romance." This story takes place during the Voyage of the Daw...
1.2K 58 14
❝I can't help but love you, even though I try not to.❞ in which High Queen Athena takes back her crown and Kingdom, no matter the cost. prince caspia...
317K 10.1K 35
How exactly is one supposed to live their regular, old life after experiencing Narnia in all its glory? The Pevensies knew that feeling all too well...
333K 10.2K 40
π•₯𝕙𝕖 π•”π•™π•£π• π•Ÿπ•šπ•”π•π•–π•€ 𝕠𝕗 β„•π•’π•£π•Ÿπ•šπ•’ ''Answer me!'' ''What will you do if I don't?'' ''You really can't feel the blade on your neck?'' ♀ ♧...