XIII. THE SEA SERPENT

* 

. * .    .  °  . ● ° . 
¸ .  ★ ° :. . • °  . * :. ☆

When they all gathered that morning to set sail to Dark Island –– even with the gloomy atmosphere on the main deck, Anna seemed unaffected by the evil that would test them. She was cheery and radiating in anticipation and adrenaline. The gazes of the crew of the Dawn Treader starred down at the island that etched closer every second as if they could prolong the inevitable.

Shrouded in sudden silence Anna could feel the ooze of fear that poured off each and every soul aboard the ship. Her heart dropped as she too felt afraid and she wondered if this was how her father felt when he was drafted and left for the war.

Her father's voice was clear and unblurred and recalled at ease as it would forever remain to haunt her memories, I will come home Anna. I promise. Until then you must take care of your mother. Her father never came home. It was a knawing thought, what if she died here at the hands of this lurking evil? Would her aunt be alright?

Settled beside the helm of the ship, only a metre or so away from Anna Tavros broke the silence, his voice booming across the Dawn Treader, "What do you think is in there?"

One by one people offered their thoughts.

"Our worst nightmares," Edmund drawled grimly.

"Our darkest wishes," Caspian guessed.

"Pure evil," Captain Drinian silenced.

"Why not think happy thoughts? Lovely things like tea parties or chocolate would suffice," Anna blurted in an attempt to make the atmosphere lighter.

It was strange, Captain Drinian's lips curled slightly at her words before he moved from the helm of the ship to Tavros with a stern expression, "Tavros, unlock the armoury. . . Archers! Prepare yourselves!"

Anna watched as the crew hustled about, listening to their captain's orders, perhaps that was the best way to go about things.

"Let's get ready," Caspian informed the three but his eyes lingered on Anna for a second longer as she looked back at him with tender, devouring but worried eyes.

The thought of it made his stomach flip –– she really cared about him.

Anna's eyebrows furrowed together as Lucy interlinked her arm with her own, "Come on, Anna. We'll help each other."

They scurried into their sleeping arrangments only to find when they entered to see that Gael had curled up on the armchair by the fire, staring deeply into the flames. Anna hated the look on Gael's face, she was too young and so little with her brown hair and stubby legs to know of what was happening.

Anna and Lucy smiled at one another before they went about to seek their weapons. Lucy had offered a light leather armour to Anna but she crinkled her nose at it, it made her feel catastrophic. Anyways, Lucy didn't wear armour so why should she?