Back In time

By creammeier

"Well then, there must be a reason why you aren't able to keep your eyes off me in the market today, Miss Wel... More

Notice
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Seven
Epilogue

Thirty-Six

3.2K 129 16
By creammeier

Fredricks

"Hyaah!" There was still no sign of her. Not a single soul could be seen on the streets. After she left, Agnes, Julie and I, took it into our own hands to find her. But all efforts seemed to be at a loss.

I am sorry, Abbey. As long as you are safe, whatever that you ask of me, I promise that I will do; even if it meant that you never want to see me again.

The rain seemed to pour heavier by the minute, hindering my vision of what lies ahead. As much as I hated it, it became clear that I was not capable of finding her by myself. Setting a new course, I pulled the reins before riding towards the direction of Nicholas.

It did not take long before I finally reached his mansion as I burst through the entrance.

"Nicholas, where are you!" I shouted, startling a young butler who almost dropped a pot of flowers.

"What on earth are you doing here at this hour?" a voice called out, revealing Nicholas who was still clad in his wedding attire as he walked down the stairs. Soon enough, his new bride, who on the other hand, had already changed out of her wedding dress approached the lobby from another corner of the house.

"I need your help. Abbey is missing."

Immediately, Nicholas dashed down the remaining flights of stairs. "Prepare my horse, Christian."

"Yes Sir." The young butler rushed out of the house and into the rain. 

As Nicholas and I were about to leave, the woman who seemed to stand quietly finally spoke out.

"Wait!" The both of us halted in our footsteps, compelling me to turn around, only to see that Nicholas had kept his eyes focused on the horse that had been readied for him.

"Stay with me, please. I will do anything as long as you stay here with me."

"I am sorry." Nicholas simply said before quickening his footsteps once more.

"Why do you still look for her when I am already your wife." This time, she spoke a little louder while I witnessed that she was on the verge of breaking.

"It was always her, Amelia." With just those words, Amelia crumbled to the floor while Nicholas rushed to get on his horse before riding away. I on the other hand, stayed a little longer, pondering if I should comfort the sobbing lady as any gentleman should at that point in time.

No, what am I thinking? I do not have time for this.

Swiftly, I climbed on the back of my horse, racing to Nicholas in double time. But I could not help but think that this marriage was already over before it had even begun.

Nicholas

"She must be in one of the hotels."

"How would you know?" Fredricks argued, clearly still angry at me for following through with the plan.

"She is a smart girl, Fredricks. What could she do at this hour except for being at a hotel?" I retaliated, "If I am right, the nearest hotel to her house would be the Brown's Hotel."

"Then, to Brown's we shall go."

I shall never forget that face of hers as she congratulated me.

"Congratulations, Nicholas! I am so happy for you! She seems like a great catch! Take good care of her, alright?"

That look of pain so visibly etched across her face.

Silly girl, how could you still possibly congratulate me knowing that it will only hurt you more?

If only she knew how much I longed to just hold her in my arms. How much I wanted to call off the wedding. But how could I?

After all, I am just an adoptive son to my father. How could I repay his years of care with my betrayal? The thought of that had me on the edge for months. The longing to be with someone I could finally call my own versus the act of filial piety to my father. Of course, I had to choose the latter. I thought that after it all, I could properly explain the whole situation to her. But seeing how broken she was, there were many occasions where I was tempted to reveal everything. It seems like what I thought would happen did not exactly play out according to what I had in mind.

"We are here." Fredricks informed, cutting me from my thoughts. The two of us got down from the horse and headed over to the reception where a lady greeted us.

"Is there an Abbey Wellesley here." I shot.

"What?" The receptionist seemed taken aback by my question as she stared at two gentleman who appeared soaked to the bone.

"Abbey Wellesley. Is she here? Which room is she staying?" Fredricks cut in.

"I am sorry, but who are you? I am not allowed to provide information of guests to oth-"

"Clayton. Look carefully. My name is Nicholas Alexander Clayton." The lady studiously studied my features before realization struck her face.

"Pardon my manners, Sir, I was unable to recognize you."

With this much rain, who would?

"That is quite alright," evidently portraying that I was in no mood for small talk, "now, about Abbey. Is she here?"

"Abbey Wellesley? Yes sir, she just arrived about an hour ago." She replied.

"Which room?" The receptionist hesitated to give me an answer, probably contemplating if she should obey the hotel's policies or in giving me the information I needed.

"I have to see her. Please. It is urgent." After a few more seconds of contemplation, she finally spoke, "level three, room twenty-two."

"Thank you."

With Fredricks hot on my trail, I dashed up the stairs until I stood outside her door before knocking on it.

"Abbey, are you in there?" There was no answer. I proceeded to knock a few more times before calling her name, but only to be greeted with silence. This did not feel good at all. I knew that something must have happened. I looked to Fredricks who appeared to have the same premonition as I did. Not having the slightest care if I had awoken the hotel guests, I kicked down the door and entered the room.

The bedroom was empty. There was not a soul that could be found. I strolled across the room, making my way towards the bathroom which I knew for sure was empty. 

How wrong was I. 

As I opened the door, a figure came to view. There laid Abbey submerged underwater, with her eyes closed and arms afloat.

"Abbey!" I shouted, attracting Fredricks into the bath while I fished her out of the tub before placing her onto the floor. Her fair skin was now replaced by a pale shade of blue, while her once rosy-red lips turned into a deeper shade of purple. I reached for her wrist to feel her pulse. When I found none, I quickly applied pressure on her abdomen to pump the water out of her before expelling air into her mouth.

I need you, please do not leave me alone.

I continued this cycle for as long as I could, pushing through the exhaustion as I was determined to give her life.

"She is gone."

"No! She is still alive!" I spat, ignoring Fredricks. I continued pumping her stomach, looking for signs of consciousness, but only to be left disappointed when I was greeted with none.

I beg of you, Abbey. Please stay with me.

"She is gone, Nicholas!" Fredricks screamed as he forcefully pulled me away from her. I sat next to her cold and lifeless body, clutching my damp hair as I pulled my knees towards my chest. And then it hit me. The daunting truth.

"Let her go."

That mental battle of her being dead persisted. But the longer the silence ensued, the more I came to terms with the fact that she is dead.

"I should have told her," I bit on my lip to the point where blood could be tasted, "If only I have told her sooner." Hot tears streamed down my face while I tried my hardest to control the sorrow that quaked through my body.

I reached for her body once more, embracing her into my chest as I leaned my head against hers. "It is all my fault." I clutched her tightly, still hoping that she would miraculously wake up from the warmth of my body.

"We all are." Fredricks simply said with a slight waver in his voice.

I placed a soft kiss on her forehead, knowing that there will never be a day that goes by without me missing her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36K 873 52
A high trained Assassin is betrayed by her former lover, also known as the Royal's Son. The story takes place in Elisora, known for it's dark secrets...
89.8K 4.6K 44
π™π™€π˜Όπ˜Ύπ™ƒπ™€π™ 𝙭 π™Žπ™π™π˜Ώπ™€π™‰π™ π™π™Šπ™ˆπ˜Όπ™‰π˜Ύπ™€ I have seen/read many stories where a student is crazy in love with her professor.. but what happens...
181 29 9
"I may have got a wrong inference or even right, but I intend to keep showing you what is in my heart," he said taking her hand and placing it on his...
6.8K 237 9
Third and final addition to the 'Three Words Series' Naomi and Theo have grown in more ways than one. They've spent years apart but still together in...