A break from reality

By caesiumbae

What if all the things we always wished for, came true? What if you only had memories and traces of your love... More

Β° Cast Β°
Prologue
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter five
Character interview - round one
Chapter six

Chapter four

97 22 416
By caesiumbae

"The harder you work for something, the greater you'll feel when you achieve it."

Valentine's pov'

An eternity of silence oppressed everyone followed by rapid blinking. 

"Erm- did I say something wwong?" Axel asked, rubbing his chin.

"Axel- just tell me how many more words like this has Eugene taught you?" I asked him climbing back down the stairs. I swear one of these days I'm going to have a heart attack hearing all these tangles of ugly words that axel has learnt!

"How did you know it was uncle Eugene who has taught me that?" Awe crept over him when he asked that.

"Because he can only be the one to teach you all these inappropriate things." Replied Mike, pursing his lips forward.

"I really have to do something about this," I said sternly and gulped down a glass of water. 

"Let's get going, I don't want to be late." I stood up and turned to leave.

"Awe you going to dwop me at the daycawe?" Axel asked, putting his shirt on which he left on the couch before.

"No, you're not going there anymore!" I replied, pressing my lips firmly together.

"What? But why?" He begged with quivering lips.

"Because I don-" before I could finish off my sentence, he ran upstairs and shut his door with a thud. 

"Because I don't wanna lose you as well." I quietly whispered to myself.

"Do you think it's right-"

"No Mike, I don't think so it's right to intervene in between me and my son." I snapped, pressing my lips tightly I walked out of my mansion and got into the car that was waiting outside.

-

I was lounging on my couch, savouring my coffee when Mike entered my office. Since the morning incident, I haven't uttered a single word because I was pissed. Pissed at everything. Nope, not at Axel though because I know it's hard for him to adapt to the environment every time I change his daycare. It's tough for him to make friends and I'm aware of that but-but I am left with no choice. 

"I've got a file for you to sign." Striding at a faster pace, he put down the file on the table glancing askance. 

It's typical for him to give me this attitude, I have been used to it because every time we would have an argument he would go on with this attitude for days until I apologised.

Exhaling loudly I sat up straight. After viewing and then approving all the contents of the file, I finally signed it. 

Mike stood in front of me with a rigid posture. It honestly irked me, he is the only genuine friend that I have and I can't-

"Also there's something that I had to report before I leave. I did -" I motioned him to stop talking.

"I think it's not important, we'll talk about it later." I gleamed and gave the file that was signed while glancing at the door.

Grimacing, he took the file and nodded his head.

He casually sat beside me and started conversing.

"So do you reckon, it would be worthwhile if we invest in the upcoming charity gala?" He inquired.

"I haven't yet decided about it but I think it's best if we do!" I frowned and then seized my phone out of my pocket.

As soon as I did, the door slowly opened and in came Peter and Connor. Connor Louis, he's the CEO of Louis corp. A very tough man to deal with must I say but over the years, he has invested in so many projects of ours which shows why he's close to me. He's around our age as well, his dad Damien Louis passed down the position to him as he was old enough and wanted to rest at this time of his life. I must say, Damien, is better than dad.

"Long time no see, mate!" Connor said in his thick British accent.

"Yeah, it's been like what- a week since I saw you the last time?" I sarcastically remarked.

"Mhm, maybe. It's long enough though. Axel isn't around?" He asked looking around and sat beside me uplifting his feet on the coffee table. Something he does often.

I turned and looked at Peter raising an eyebrow.

"He had matters to talk about, I promise I didn't invite him." He pressed his lips tightly in a thin line and sat beside Mike. Mike was silently watching us, massaging between his eyebrows.

"No, Axel isn't around. He's at home" I looked down at the floor and recalled the things that happened this morning. Surely, seeing that old man's face did nothing good to my day instead made it-

"Oh, it's a good thing Mike is present here as well. We are going to Paris the day after." Connor shrugged and reached for the magazine that was on the table as if he didn't just drop a bomb on us.

"Excuse me?" Mike's shocked expression mirrored mine.

"Yup, you heard me." He kept back the magazine on the table.

"I have matters to deal with." I looked at him with a tight-lipped smile.

"It could wait-" he couldn't finish off his sentence when Mike stood up and strolled out of the room and shut the door with a thud.

"Woah, what's wrong with him?" Peter asked, glancing at the closed door.

"He's not in a mood to joke around I guess." I nodded my head at nothing in particular.

"Anyway I'm serious, we are needed there. There have been some issues going around the hotel site of A&L in Paris and we can't fix it without going there in person." Connor said suddenly when I was about to stand up.

"And why do I not know of it yet?" I inquired deliberately.

"That's because the matters have been kept secret from us. I got to know of it from one of my secret sources." He said quietly and sat up straight. 

"So you mean to say-" Peter started but couldn't end his sentence as the door opened and in came Mike and Ax- wait Axel?

Axel didn't have his usual smile on his face instead, he was rubbing his face with his palms as if he's crying and had a gloomy expression. He stood there with a new pair of jeans and a T-shirt. As soon as he saw Connor he tried to hide behind Mike.

"There you are pal, I've been looking for you" before I could say something, Connor spoke out and motioned Axel to come forward to which he tried to sneak behind Mike again. Mike had Axel's backpack on his hand and looked irritated when he heard him talk. Let's just say Mike and Connor are not best of friends.

" Man, he woke up a few minutes. Ain't in a mood to listen to your bullshit." Mike grumbled and took Axel to the other corner of the office and both of them sprawled on the couch that was kept there.

Connor scoffed and turned to look at me again.

"I need to investigate some things before we leave for Paris. And my time is damn precious, which means I'll have to leave right now." He spoke up and took out his cellphone from his pocket to check the time.

"Alright then, I'll let you know if I change my mind," I said and turned at Peter to see if he has any say in this.

As Connor heard me he turned to look back from his screen and looked at me with a grim expression.

"You don't have anything else to think about rather than joining me because it's important and we are needed there. End of discussion!" He said sternly and put his phone back in his pocket.

-

It was after Connor left that Axel started moving around. He went out of the office probably to visit his "lady friends" and yet didn't talk to me.

Peter left with Connor because he had to discuss something regarding a new project of ours while Mike sat on his usual spot at my office while I was sitting on my desk signing some papers.

"Do you think we need to go there and it's that important?" I asked Mike when he came and sat in front of my desk.

"I would personally say no, but since he insisted that we must go then perhaps yes." He shrugged and looked at me solemnly.

"Mhm, seems like I need to notify Axel's nanny beforehand," I mumbled and took out my cellphone to text her.

"Okay then, as for the thing that I wanted to tell you before is-'' his phone rang, halting his speech for which he went out in order to answer the phone call. Maybe a personal call I guess or else he would have received it in front of me.

I texted Axel's nanny and let her know that she would not need to come for a few days. Later I sorted out a document that has been lying on the desk since last week. Am I slacking off? Nope. It's just a useless document which needs extra attention of mine.

Soon after an hr, Mike walked in with his hands in his pockets along with Axel. Woah, seems like they're going to ignore me for the rest of the day and I have no idea what my fault was. I wouldn't have snapped at Mike if he didn't talk at that moment when he needed to keep his mouth shut.

"So uncle Mikey, what if you and daddy awe actually dating and awe a couple and I am just- you know an outsidew I mean-adowpted?'' Axel whispered to Mike when they sat on the couch making me halt.

" Ax, what makes you think that?" Mike murmured back, rubbing his neck completely embarrassed.

I'm pretty sure they're not aware of me eavesdropping on their conversation or else they would have turned and looked at me. I sat there struggling to keep my mouth shut. 

"That's obvious, he takes you with him evewywhewe and listens to you. And look at me, he doesn't even cawe about me. I didn't want to leave my pwevious daycawe as well but he made me. Also, he doesn't go with me shopping, it's always the nanny!" He went on. This is not new; I have heard all of these complaints before but what new is- hearing him say I'm dating Mike. Is he being serious like legi-

"I don't think it's true Ax, he just doesn't have enough time for that. Also no, we are not dating. I wouldn't even date that bas- I mean baby if he's the last person alive!" Mike grumbled and took his phone out.

"I also have a girlfriend so relax, I won't be hitting on your daddy." He went on and showed him something, probably a picture of a random girl. He doesn't have a girlfriend-

"You'we lying." Axel flatly stated and folded his arms and looked at me. When he saw me looking at them he quickly looked at the other side.

"I promise I'm not and guess what bud?" Mike said tickling him on his side making him giggle.

"W-h-a-t?" He said in between his laughter.

"We are going on a trip." He said to which Axel cheered.

"We awe?" He asked for assurance. I was already bored with their conversation so I went back to turning the boring pages of the document.

"Yes, we are. We are going to Paris!" Said Mike wiggling his eyebrows. Mike doesn't just get along with me, he gets along with Axel as well.

"You mean Disneyland?" Axel clapped his hands making me turn at him once again. I smiled seeing him happy, it doesn't take much to make him happy. Just a business trip with me would do or maybe, maybe a trip to Disneyland? 

-

"Axel, are you done there yet?" I asked, knocking at the door.

"Just a little more daddy!" He squealed from inside.

I was unable to control myself, I needed to take a piss and Axel went in right at that moment and locked the door. I mean out of all the washrooms he had to use mine.

He came out after a few minutes and told me that he needs to find his favourite ducky PJs and put it in his luggage which he couldn't find yesterday. I wanted to get in already but he went on about how he loves his PJs and whatnot. I couldn't wait anymore so I went in and kept the door open. Axel wasn't a tad bit embarrassed because he is used to this. When he was younger it was just me and him and often he would bawl his eyes out if I left him outside. So we both are used to our presence at the washroom.

"Daddy youw pepe-" he started but I raised my hand shutting him up.

"Nope Axel, we are not talking about my pepe right now," I grumbled through my pursed lips and looked at the ceiling.

He folded his hands and with a pout stared at me. I don't know what's going on inside his little head. Something dirty that Eugene taught I suppose.

"Oh daddy, I fowgot to say that uncle Eugene said that it's bettew to call you bwo instead of daddy! I asked him why but he didn't tell me the reason and told me to ask you instead!" Ugh, there you go. Just as expected!

-

A/N: Hi guys, long time no see. I know it's been ages since I've updated and I'm sorry about that. Life's keeping me busy plus I'm so sick that I can't even get up from my own bed *sighs* you wouldn't understand.

*coughs* so Val& Mikey- bromance? *wink* *wink*

Anyway,let me know who is your favourite character so far and which is your favourite part of this chapter. Do you anticipate something to happen when they're in Paris? Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing this.

Happy reading!
-n.n

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 15.3K 38
β—¦β€’β—β—‰βœΏ While searching for true friendship, she found her true love. However, she was let down by her best friend when she needed her the...
1.3K 50 29
Christian Alex Theodore: A man with a few choice words for people he doesn't know or doesn't want to interact with. He found his one and only love in...
620 114 50
She wanted to be alive as a free spirit. She wanted to laugh and love but what happens when your life doesn't want these things from you?? There is d...
203 39 18
When something tragic happens it's often said we lose a piece of ourselves. How far would you go to find these lost parts of yourself in order to be...