Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

Arianrhod Part One:

278 13 17
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Dimitri:

It was sunrise.

Dimitri was the first one to reach the stables to leave for Arianrhod. Truthfully, he was nervous.

There were many things that could happen, for one troops could show up there at any time, but...

Taking back such an important fort would be extremely beneficial to them, there was no denying that but still Dimitri was a bit apprehensive about it.

For all they knew it could be a big trap.

Dimitri sighed, out of the corner of his eye he made out mint green hair.

Was... Was she trying to stay out of his sight?

Dimitri frowned at the thought, but he knew it was a possibility.

"Just leave her be" Glenn hissed, the thought saddened Dimitri, but... Glenn was probably right. As much as it pained him to admit, Byleth didn't seem like she wanted to be around him more so than normal.

"So, what your plan is to push them away, so they don't feel bad later?".

Edelgard had said that when Dimitri was eavesdropping on their conversation.

As enlightening as it was to hear something that could help Dimitri figure out what she was hiding, it seemed to only puzzle him further.

What is she hiding?

Slowly as the sun grew higher in the sky more people began to arrive.

"Boar" Felix called out from behind him.

Dimitri turned to greet his friend, "Hello Felix" he said while nodding.

Felix frowned at him, "Your bags under your eyes are darker" he said bluntly "Did you even sleep?" he questioned.

No.

Dimitri rubbed the back of his neck, "I had a hard time falling asleep is all" he replied.

Felix didn't seem to buy his excuse, "You idiot" he said sternly "What happens if you get injured from exhaustion" he added.

Dimitri looked to the ground; he really hadn't expected this lecture from Felix.

"Calm down Felix" Sylvain's voice called out as he approached them, "His Highness looks so dejected, like a kicked puppy" he laughed "How can you just yell at him like that without remorse" Sylvain added while shaking his head.

"I'm a cat person," Felix said bluntly.

Sylvain frowned and shook his head once more, "Not my point Felix" he sighed "You can't just yell at His Highness like that" he said sternly.

"Oh, but you get to tease him" Felix rebutted.

"That's different," Sylvain said "His Highness needs my teasing, or he gets nowhere" he added.

"Ah, right like you and Ingrid" Felix said.

Blush crept on Sylvain's cheeks, "I don't know what you're talking about" he said.

Felix shook his head, "Yeah, right" he said.

The two of them bickered like that till they had left the monastery.

It would take them a day at most to reach Arianrhod, Dimitri was longing for the cold frigid air of Fhirdiad, but the warmer breeze of Arianrhod would have to suffice for the time being. It was certainly colder than it was at Garreg Mach, although not by that much. But still it was better than nothing. Although now that Dimitri thought about it a good majority of his companions were from areas significantly warmer than Faerghus was, this might prove to be hard for them.

Dimitri looked over at Byleth. She wasn't too far from him; she had been riding beside Edelgard for the duration of the time. And not once had he heard a peep from them, they rode in silence.

Was it out of anger? But if so, why would they even ride beside one another, or was it just that they were closer than Dimitri had guessed? Perhaps it was the strength of that secret that kept one another bound to each other.

Dimitri sighed, "Why the long face Your Highness?" Sylvain asked casually.

"Ah, my apologies, I was just simply thinking about Arianrhod" he replied.

Sylvain's eyes narrowed at him, he didn't look convinced, but Sylvain also didn't pry this time.

By the time night fell they were nearby Gaspard territory.

They quickly set up camp, which wasn't hard to do with only eleven people.

"Ah! I'll get the fire started, I'm starving!" Raphael called out.

Dimitri watched the purple haired man shake his head, "Tsk, must you always think of food" Lorenz scolded.

"I'm pretty famished myself" Mercedes butted in an attempt to shut Lorenz up.

And to Dimitri's surprise it had worked to some degree.

It wasn't long before the meager rations that were their dinner were passed around and everyone gathered by the fire.

"I didn't expect Faerghus to be this... Cold" Edelgard had said to no one in particular.

"Oh yeah?" Sylvain said, Dimitri groaned internally. He knew exactly what would follow. "I know something that will keep you warm," Sylvain said with a wink.

Felix smacked the back of Sylvain's head, hard. "You're disgusting," Felix added.

Hubert glared at Sylvain, "I advise you watch your mouth in regard to Lady Edelgard" he hissed.

Sylvain met his gaze, and shrugged "Yeah? You and what army?" he asked.

Dimitri glanced over at Hubert and he was fuming.

Great.

A good way to start out this mission.

Hubert opened his mouth to rebut Sylvain's comment but Edelgard cut him off.

"Don't you dare Hubert," Edelgard said in a warning tone, he shut his mouth, but the scowl remained.

An uneasy silence fell over them, perhaps they should have chosen different allies to accompany them.

"What do you think it will be like inside of Arianrhod?" Byleth questioned the group trying to tear away the tension that had grown.

"Well fortified, although that's a given" Lorenz said.

When was the last time that Dimitri had even stepped foot in there, he was sixteen maybe seventeen and it had been a few years after his Father had passed?

He remembered the first time he had ever stepped foot in that fortress, he had gone with his Father to learn the ropes of things. "As future ruler it is important you know your assets" Lambert had said. Dimitri stared at the massive fortress in awe, there was so much to it and to have such an impressive defense in his possession it left him speechless.

Dimitri looked down at the floor, his Father.

He knew how his ghost felt about Dimitri's failures, but how would his true Father be? Would he understand Dimitri's choices or would he be disappointed as well...

"His Highness would probably know the layout the best, Felix and I have only been there a handful of times" Sylvain called out, breaking Dimitri's train of thought "I would imagine he's got a good idea of what we are dealing with" he added.

Dimitri was silent for a moment and the eyes of his allies fell on him, "It's possible that the fort has changed in recent years" he said.

"That is possible" Felix murmured.

Byleth sighed, "So we're going in with essentially going in with no clue as to what to expect then" she said.

"pretty much" Sylvain replied.

Silence fell over them once again, then slowly one by one they left for bed till Dimitri remained alone at the fire. He stayed there for only a couple more minutes then retired himself as well to get rest before tomorrow, since they were most certainly going to fight tomorrow.

They're so close.

Byleth:

"Miss Eisner" A voice called out as Byleth made her way to her tent.

Byleth clutched her blade and turned around to face the person.

Hubert.

"Oh" Byleth said and released her grip on the blade "What do you want?" she asked.

Hubert stood there silently for a moment just observing Byleth, "Lady Edelgard expressed dissatisfaction over a choice of yours" he said bluntly.

Hubert was never one for pleasantries.

Byleth frowned at him, "So?" she said "I know what is best for them and telling them about it will hurt them" she said sternly

Hubert held her gaze, "I agree" he said.

He... Agrees?

That's a first.

Byleth stared at Hubert dumbfound, "What?" she asked in confusion.

Hubert sighed and shook his head, "I understand if you tell them then our chance of killing Rhea drastically decrease" he replied "It's best to leave them ignorant of what is to come" he added.

Byleth had come to that conclusion as well moons ago, and yet... She couldn't deny the harshness in it when Hubert had said it. Perhaps... No, she couldn't. "I see" Byleth said then turned around and left to her tent for the night.

Hubert was known to be a callous man... If he approved of something that she was doing to that degree than... Could she be in the wrong about this?

But to tell them, to tell Dimitri that... Could she do it? Knowing Dimitri, he would want to do whatever it took to get her to survive which meant not killing Rhea and doing that would defeat the purpose of everything they have fought so hard for.

Byleth sighed and laid down in her cot, there was a lot to consider there was no doubt about that.

...

"Byleth, wake up" a soft voice called out to her.

Byleth groaned and opened her eyes to see Mercedes, "Sorry to have woken you up, but we are packing up camp" she said.

Byleth sat up and nodded her head, "I see" she said "I'll get prepared to leave than, thank you Mercedes" she added.

Mercedes smiled at her, "It was no problem Byleth" she said than left from the tent.

Byleth sighed and rubbed at her face.

Today they would reach Arianrhod.

There was no doubt in her mind that they would be fighting today, the issue was who they would be up against.

Byleth didn't think that it would be Rhea herself, she would probably be in Fhirdiad. Maybe Catherine?

That was a possibility, although after her defeat in Brigid, Byleth doubted that she would be in the front lines for a while.

Perhaps it's just soldiers there?

Although Byleth strongly doubted that as well.

Byleth got up from her cot and gathered her belongings, the last thing she needed was to have the army waiting on her.

As soon as everyone was packed, they departed and began their march to Arianrhod.

Byleth had made the grave mistake of riding beside Edelgard, alone she wasn't bad company. But when Ferdinand was nearby... Sothis have mercy.

"Ferdinand, I specialize in the axe" Edelgard said sternly "I strongly doubt your prowess with it surpass mine" she added.

"Ha!" Ferdinand said loudly "I challenge you than to test that" he declared.

Edelgard pinched the bridge of her nose, "Ferdinand, I am no longer the Emperor" she said sternly "Must you continue with this pointless competition" she sighed.

"And I am no longer to be the Adrestrian Empire's prime minister" Ferdinand said "It's simply friendly competition" he added "Although if you believe that you are inferior, I understand your reluctance to fight" he concluded.

Edelgard's eyes narrowed at him, "Excuse me" she said sternly "I am more than capable than to defeat you with an axe, I merely wished to save you from such an embarrassment" she added.

Ferdinand's face turned red, "I would not face embarrassment since I would be winning" he replied.

"Ha, as if" Edelgard said.

Ferdinand frowned then looked over to Byleth, "Who do you think is the stronger out of us?" he asked.

Byleth sighed, "Don't you dare drag me into this" she said sternly.

Ferdinand looked mildly offended, "Whatever do you mean?" he said.

"Just tell him I'm stronger already Byleth, there is no need to spare his feelings" Edelgard said.

Ferdinand shook his head, "That is nonsense" he said "It's obvious she is trying to spare your feelings" he said.

Byleth sighed, the two of them continued to bicker with one another, Byleth had a feeling there was more to it than just strength but honestly, she didn't care to read the situation any further.

"Byleth just tell them so they will shut up" Felix said in a serious tone.

Dammit.

"Both of you are equally tied, in strength" Byleth said bluntly.

Edelgard's eyes went wide with shock.

"That's preposterous Byleth, I am obviously superior" Ferdinand said while shaking his head.

Byleth slowed down the speed of her horse so that she slowly drifted away from them, and at last she could have peace on this march.

...

It was evening by the time they reached Arianrhod, the fort was massive.

Who knows how many soldiers are lingering in there.

Is it possible they are marching right to their deaths?

No, she couldn't think like this now of all times.

"Everyone, steel yourself" Dimitri said "While we are expecting it to be easy, we must be prepared for worst case scenario" he added.

They slowly approached the entrance to the fort, weird.

There were no guards.

Byleth tensed up, something felt off.

And yet... They still entered the fort.

Edelgard looked around as they entered, "So this is the Silver Maiden... Seeing it with my own eyes, I finally understand it's strength" she said pausing for a moment "Especially that it's strength is distrusted across it's frontal defenses" she added.

"How could they deceive me and send me here knowing an army was coming" A shrill voice yelled.

Byleth looked around she didn't see anyone, and everyone else looked equally confused.

Perhaps voice projection by magic?

"But it's not like I'm going to stand by and watch... I will slaughter them all" The voice yelled once again.

"Lady Edelgard is that..." Hubert began

"Cornelia" Dimitri hissed and lifted Areadbhar, "That woman... She took my kingdom from me" he said sternly and closed his eyes briefly "I'll have her head" he growled and nearly charged in.

"Dimitri" Byleth said sternly and gripped onto his forearm, "Now is not the time nor the place to lose yourself like this" she said

Felix stood in front of Dimitri, "Don't go boar on us" he said in a serious voice.

Dimitri looked to the floor and pulled his arm out of Byleth's grip, "Right..." he said "My apologies, I won't let it happen again" he added.

Felix remained there for a moment, then sighed "Come on Dimitri, lead us to battle" he said as he shook his head.

Dimitri walked to the front of them, "Cornelia... So, you have come here in command of the troops from the Kingdom, and Church" he said then paused for a moment "Let's move onward" he added and began leading them deeper into the fort.

It wasn't long before they were met with enemies, two Pegasus Knight's came flying at them. Mercedes took one down swiftly, while Dimitri's Areadbhar tore through the wing of the other causing the flier to come falling down then Felix finished him off.

"More enemies" someone called out.

Byleth felt something hit her from behind, knocking her forward.

Come on.

Out of everyone to hit with magic, they chose her? Really? She groaned internally at their poor choice.

Byleth turned around to see the mage who had fired at her, only to see them engaged in combat with Sylvain already.

It had been a Holy Knight.

Sylvain was quick to overpower the knight and soon he lied on the ground.

Nearby Felix was clashing blades with a sword master, he lasted a bit longer than most but like most people Felix fought against he wound up on the floor in a pool of blood.

"Should we split up?" Ferdinand's voice called out, Byleth looked around there were two different routes to take.

"I believe that might be for the best" Dimitri said "Beware though, I remember that there are traps set around here in case of invasion" he added.

"Ah, damn I think your right" Sylvain said while rubbing his head, "This fort is known for mechanical traps" he confirmed.

"Not to mention Cornelia most likely has a few toys of her own on the battlefield today" Hubert said.

Byleth looked over at him and frowned, "What do you mean by that?" she asked.

"She works with those who Slither in the Dark" Edelgard said, "She will have more than just soldiers I would assume" she added.

"Wait, I thought they were against the church?" Sylvain said in a confused tone, "Then why is she working with the church?" he added.

Hubert shook his head, "She is more infiltrating the church" he said "Like Tomas had" he added.

Byleth shook her head, "Let's not waste any more time" she said "The quicker we defeat her the better" she added.

Dimitri nodded, "I agree" he said.

"I'll take half of the group and lead them down the right" Edelgard said.

Dimitri tensed up for a moment, then nodded his head in agreement, "Alright" he said "Byleth, Felix, Sylvain, and Raphael will go left with me" he declared.

Edelgard frowned slightly but didn't argue over the group she would be taking which consisted of Ferdinand, Hubert, Jeritza, Mercedes, Lorenz, and herself. She turned and began heading in the path she chose, the others followed behind her silently.

"Lead the way Dimitri" Byleth said.

Dimitri nodded then turned and began guiding them to the left.

Felix:

Felix watched Dimitri from behind.

Something is wrong.

He had known that since he'd been reunited with Dimitri after Glenn's death, but lately... He has been isolating himself from the others once again and that snap earlier about Cornelia hardly seemed to be just out of the blue.

Felix frowned the last thing they need is for Dimitri to go boar on them again, that would cause far too many problems.

"What way do we go now?" Byleth's voice rang out. Felix looked up at her, she was just as bad as Dimitri in some ways although she was less homicidal so that had to count for something. Right?

Regardless they are both idiots.

"Watch out Byleth" Sylvain shouted and cast a fire ball behind her.

Byleth swiftly dodged the attack of one of the fortress knights that snuck up on them she cast a Ragnarok spell at the other one, who fell to the ground immediately.

Felix shot a Thoron spell at the one that Sylvain had weakened; they fell as quickly as they had come.

"I don't think there are any more in this direction" Dimitri said in a stern voice, then lowered his lance.

"So, what way do we go?" Sylvain asked, they had two options either up the stairs or they continue going down the path they were on.

"We could always split in two again" Byleth said.

Dimitri frowned, and shook his head "But what if one of the groups gets overpowered on their own" he said then paused for a moment "It's too risky he added.

Felix shook his head, "No, Byleth's right Dimitri" he said, "Divide and conquer" he added "Plus each of us as individual fighters are capable, I don't doubt we'll be fine" he concluded.

Dimitri sighed, "Fine, do as you wish but don't take any unnecessary risks" he said.

Byleth nodded then turned to Felix, "Come, on then let's go" she said and began climbing up the stairs. Felix followed after her.

It turns out the stairs led up on top of the walls of the fortress, where soldiers would typically shoot arrows from or use ballistics. Although, there didn't seem to be any of those here.

Byleth and Felix walked in silence, for a few minutes "What do you think of the boar's outburst?" he questioned.

Byleth shrugged, "I don't know, I don't have much of an opinion on it at the moment" she replied.

Felix stopped in his tracks and frowned at her, "Ok, what's wrong with you as well?" he questioned.

Byleth furrowed her eyebrows, "What are you talking about?" she asked and stopped beside him.

"You're being just as bad as the boar lately, you rush into things without thinking, and I haven't known you not to formulate an opinion on something" Felix said sternly "I thought you were passed this, but like the boar you keep falling into old habits" he concluded.

Byleth looked down at the floor and sighed, "I... I just have a lot on my mind is all" she said coolly.

Felix frowned at her, "The battlefield is no place for idle thoughts, you'll get yourself killed" he scolded.

Byleth sighed, "I get it Felix" she replied, "Although I doubt scolding me on the battlefield is hardly a good thing either" she said.

Felix fell silent...

She did have a point.

"We aren't through with this conversation" Felix said than lifted his blade and continued walking, and Byleth followed behind him.

It wasn't long before they ran into the enemies, Byleth fought off a Paladin while Felix fought against a Pegasus Knight.

Typically, they were easy to beat, but there were a few who were quicker and could dodge attacks with ease. Felix slashed his blade at the knight but to no avail, until a green and yellow light covered the area surrounding them.

It took Felix a moment to register that it was a spell, and that it had been Byleth who cast it. He swiftly jumped back into action and took down the Pegasus Knight.

"Thanks" Felix murmured.

Byleth nodded, "Come on, I think there is another soldier this way" she said then turned around and went in that direction.

Author's note:

Hello everyone! So, after thinking last night I decided I will be posting every day for now on, I have only like four chapters left to write for this story until it's done! Anyways I hope you enjoy!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.7K 687 56
"We could have been great together, Teach." Even though Byleth had chosen to teach the Black Eagles, the Golden Deer house leader Claude von Riegan w...
9.2K 317 66
Fire Emblem Three Houses AU Story: What if Sothis was with Byleth since their childhood days? "If only I could touch the stars." Born sick since da...
1.7K 30 5
The Fall of Garrag Moch Monastery, Year 1180 had been a disaster and full of the unexpected. But lets follow a different flow in the time stream. In...
52.2K 751 19
in the monastery they being Heard rumors about a new transfer student would Join the house either black Eagle,blue lion and Golden dear, but when the...