Hopelessly Devoted

By NowhereGirl21

Luke Harrison is gay. He's also in love with the very straight captain of the basketball team. Will Luke be... More

Welcome To My Story
Character Descriptions
New Cover!
Chapter 1- The First
Chapter 2- Digits
Chapter 3- Bonding
Chapter 4- Tutoring
Chapter 5- Twenty Questions
Chapter 6- Invitation
Chapter 7- Get'cha Head in the Game
Chapter 8- Patching Up
Chapter 9- Masks
Chapter 10- Prayer
Chapter 11- Work
Chapter 12- Notes
Chapter 13- Girls
Chapter 14- Lunch
Chapter 15- Secrets
Chapter 16- Thorium
Chapter 17- Boiling Over
Chapter 18- Evasion
Chapter 19- Pennies
Chapter 20- One Day More
Chapter 21- Hopelessly Devoted
Chapter 22- ILY
Chapter 23-Little Problems *MATURE*
Chapter 24- The Closet
Chapter 25- Nerves
Chapter 26- I'll Cover You
Chapter 27- Mornin'
Chapter 28- Swimming
Chapter 29- Caught
Chapter 30- Church
Chapter 31- Leviticus
Chapter 32- Resistance *MATURE*
Chapter 34- Together
Survey!
Chapter 35- Confrontation
Chapter 36- Mine *MATURE*
Chapter 37- Explosions
Chapter 38- Panic
Chapter 39- Dreaming
Chapter 40- Healing
Chapter 41- Shots!
Chapter 42- Promises
Chapter 43- His *MATURE*
Chapter 44: The End
Author's Note

Chapter 33- Sick

2.3K 100 13
By NowhereGirl21

*Bae <3*

7:28 AM- Goodmorning, Beautiful!

7:28 AM- Hey :) Mornin'.

7:29 AM- I love you soooooo much!

7:29 AM- What did you do, Sean?

It's Monday morning and I'd barely gotten out of bed when Sean had texted me. Normally, he'd just say good morning and nothing else until school started. His chipperness is unusual for it being so early.

7:31 AM- ...I technically didn't DO anything...

7: 32 AM- Sean, what's wrong?

7:32 AM- I'm sorry but I'm sick and I can't come to school today...

I frown. I mean, yeah, it sucks that he'll be out sick today, but I'd never get mad at him for something like that.

7:33 AM- Are you ok? Do you need me to come take care of you? I don't mind skipping class if you need me.

7:34 AM- Thanks, Rabbit, but I'll be fine. Have a good day at school for me, k?

7:34 AM- Ok. Feel better and I love you.

7:34 AM- Love you too, baby <3

Mood slightly dampened, I continue going about my daily routine. Get up, shower, brush my teeth, get dressed, and have something way too small for breakfast.

Strange enough, this "usual routine" only started a couple of months ago, right around when I started hanging out with Sean. Normally, I'd have to also put on some makeup to cover up bruises made by Ape-man...

Shoot. I forgot all about him.

It hadn't crossed my mind before, but I think Sean is the reason why Geoff's backed off. Whenever Sean's around, he's my own personal bodyguard and Geoff wouldn't dare touch me. But what if Sean wasn't there? 

What if he was out sick and couldn't protect me?

Walking down the stairs of my house, I shake those disturbing thoughts from my head. Even if Sean was only gone for one day, Geoff couldn't do anything as I'd tell Sean. 

I am safe.

I am SAFE.

I AM safe!

I keep repeating that mantra as I walk to school. Despite the amount of times I say it, I can't shake the feeling that something bad's going to happen today.

Nothing seems out of the ordinary when I walk into school. The same group of snot-nosed teenagers are running through the halls, screaming about the latest tv show or whatever.

Beth and Jackie are standing at Jackie's locker, talking about whatever it is that girls talk about when I walk up.

"Hey!"

"Sup, Luka!" Beth smiles and ruffles my hair. A small scowl threatens at the patronizing act but I let it slide. "Where's the boy toy?"

"Home sick. You're gonna have to deal with just me, today."

Jackie frowns a bit. "Aw, that's too bad. Tell him we miss him, ok"

"Yeah, boy-toy's grown on me. I don't have to deal with you being cripplingly lonely anymore!" Beth laughs at my expense.

I roll my eyes. "Thanks for that, Beth. I can always count on you to be rude yet honest."

"You know you love me."

"So!" My best friend's girlfriend interrupts. "Beth here was just inviting me to her Christmas party in a couple weeks! Are you coming, Luka?"

"Of course! Nothing could stop me from attending Beth's rager!"

My best friend has a knack for throwing parties. Whatever the occasion, she'll manage to put together a party that'd make angel's cry. I don't typically partake in the alcohol-laden hormone-infused extravaganzas, but I'd always go to watch people make fools of themselves. Maybe it's mean, but there's just something that's incredibly funny about watching people make very bad decisions.

Beth laughs. "Yeah, Luke loves to stick his nose up at all the people doing body shots off of each other."

"You know it! Hey, can Sean come?"

"Definitely! Maybe he'll even get YOU to get a little crazy."

We all laugh at the notion of me being drunk when the bell rings. I say goodbye to the girls, still riding off of that happy moment enough that I forget about this morning's anxiety. I walk through the extremely crowded halls, smile on my face.

Suddenly, a big body slams into me.

"Hey! Watch it!" I grumble at the guy I'd never met before.

He mumbles a quick, insincere apology before disappearing into the student body.

"Jerk..." I whisper under my breath as I readjust my backpack on my shoulder.

I keep walking, making it to my math class. I instinctively glance at Geoff, only to see him gazing mindlessly out of the window. 

As long as he's not bothering me, I'm completely fine.

Surprisingly, the day goes along as normal. Geoff doesn't say a word throughout class, my teachers all gave stupid amounts of homework, and I got to hang out and sing show tunes with Mrs. Aslin in choir.

I barely even register the fact that time passed until the final bell of the day went off. I just scooped up my bag and headed home. I wanted to go visit Sean and make sure he was ok, but my Father would never let me go there if it wasn't for tutoring. Sean had never been my father's favorite student, so I couldn't go unless it was necessary.

Finally, when I plop down on the bed, I send a quick text to Sean.

*Bae <3*

2:31 PM- Hey. How are you feeling?

2:33 PM- Like shit, but a bit better now that I'm talkin' to my Rabbit.

2:33 PM- You're so cheesy.

2:34 PM- You know you love me!

I laugh at the similarity between Beth and Sean's response. That reminds me...

2:35 PM- Hey, are you doing anything on Christmas Eve?

2:36 PM- If it means I get to hang with you, no.

2:37 PM- Would you wanna come with me to a party at Beth's place? We can laugh at all the drunk people!

2:38 PM- LOL. Of course, baby. I'll be there :)

2:38 PM-  Good! Now, go take a nap. I need you healthy so you can come back to school and hang with me.

2:39 PM- Ugh, yes Mother.

2:39 PM- I love you, Sean.

2:40 PM- Love ya, Luka.

I smile. As shitty as a day without Sean can be, it's definitely better when I can end the day by talking to him.

Still, my day's not over yet. I've still got a buttload of homework burning a hole in my backpack.

I get up to grab my bag. I pull out my books and binders and set them on my desk, when suddenly, an envelope falls out. There are no marking on the outside, but it's sealed shut, implying a letter is inside.

Curious, I sit down and open the letter.

Dear F*ggot, 

I knew it.

Meet me Friday, after school, under the bleachers.

We need to "chat".

Accompanying the disturbing letter is a blown-up 8x12 photo. It's a bit blurry, and part of the frame is blacked out by a wall, but you can clearly see what is happening.

It's a photo of Sean and me from that previously wonderful day last week. At school. Kissing.

I put my head in my hands, feeling dizzy. Someone knows... someone has evidence of Sean and me and they're going to out me...

As I try to comprehend the gravity of my situation, I have to grasp my stomach to try and hold back nausea.

Now IM the one who's gonna be sick...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey!

Jesus christ, I'm so goddamn tired. I know this chapter's shit, but I legit could barely keep my eyes open while writing it.

here's the line where you comment shit about the threat.

like. leave comments. vote. I ain't got time to elaborate.

freakin' goodnight.

love ya.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.2K 372 23
[bxb] Luke had always suspected he was gay. There's a very big difference, however, between thinking you 𝘮𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 be gay, and having a pretty boy n...
5.6K 281 58
16-year-old Tristan had a loving and affirming family and community. Until he didn't. When a tragic accident tears his parents out of his life, he's...
395 33 25
I wrote this when I was 11 so feel free to leave mean comments cuz chances are that I'll agree with them Jasper Hart and Luke Aldine: the most popula...
258K 13.1K 83
Emmet and Clay did not meet on the best of terms, but that doesn't stop them from becoming fast friends. As their bond grows stronger, they will do w...