Empty as my Heart

By Maegan-Danielle

I stared right into the Hunter's eyes, frozen and afraid. Afraid for my life. He just looked at me, calmly... More

Prolouge
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chater 8

99 1 0
By Maegan-Danielle

Chapter 8

I suppose everyone has a distinct past.  You were born, probably went to school, and eventually grew up.  Maybe gotten a job, or had a family. 

Some people have a distinct future.  A destiny, a kismet.  No matter how small or how important.

Mine, I had to say, was uncertain.  Even less certain than my own death. 

Bitter frost coated my knees as I stumbled, barely able to pick myself back up.  Barely able to survive this game.  I hadn't been captivated long.  For all I know, it could have been days before I had woken up to the locked closet.  It felt like a year.

But, it was almost too soon when they unlocked that door, beating me back with a cane, and shackling my wrists with wood and rope.  Soon after that, they led me to the forest with a corn sack covering my eyes.

It was strictly spoken that only the Hunters may know the whereabouts of Wolfron Forest. 

I didn't care one bit.  The darkness had become my cloak, concealing me from the hatred of this awful place.  We had walked for what seemed like hours.

The only thought I had was of James.

Where was he?  Would we find each other?  Surely he wouldn't be far away.

But, as they led me to the heart of the forest, I waited for more footsteps.  After waiting a half hour, I ripped off the bag, wincing as the light seeped in from the dense pine needles.

No one was here.  I was completely alone.

Where was he?  Where were the others?

"James?" 

My voice was nothing louder than a whisper, but it still echoed off all of the deadened bark.  The sound of it buried my heart in lonelieness.  And, after weeks of torment and fear, I was deeply afraid. 

The sky had taken on a grayish black light, casting dark shadows everywhere I turned.  My mind whirled, thinking the Hunters had come for me.  But, of course, that was not possible.

They had a Feast to eat.  We were given three days to scramble around in this death trap. 

Remembering this, I fought the strange urge to stay put, and forced myself to move.  It would mean sooner death to stay where I was.  It would be better to get used to this place, and get to know my surroundings.  And, simply, get away from here.

"James?"  I tried again, saying it louder.  My voice was beginning to work again, and I began shouting.  "Hello?  I anyone here?  James!  Can anyone here me?"

But, once again, I was greeted with silence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.3K 452 32
Life was so simple. So much more carefree and just generally free to do as you please and not have to worry about every little thing. Key word bein...
977 66 17
I shuddered. It had never been so dark, nor so quiet before. There was always the light of the moon to guide me. The sound of the wind against the tr...
54.8K 2K 62
Most impressive rank: 1 - Fairytale *** Casey is all alone in the werewolf world, the only family she has left is her crazy dad. her mum died of ca...
13 1 3
"I hunger for you and I'm done being starved." I have only ever known one thing my entire life: obey. In the daylight I'm the perfect daughter, sub...