Robbers

By withnosuchgrace

Meet Crystal Greene, a 16 year old who thought her biggest problem was getting through high school with good... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter 1

43 2 0
By withnosuchgrace

-: Chapter 1:-

“And that is how you create sulphuric acid.” My science teacher, Mr. Blackburn was telling the already half-sleeping class.

I didn’t understand why we, a group of sixteen to seventeen year olds, would ever need this information. When in my life would I need sulphuric acid?

Thankfully, the bell rang before Mr. Blackburn could bore us any longer. The class was filled with sounds of rustling as everyone packed up their books and practically ran out of the room.

I would’ve done the same, hadn’t my name been called at the last second. “Crystal?”

I turned around to face my teacher. “Yes?”

Mr. Blackburn was a reasonably thin man, well into his forties, with dark hair that was thinning at a quick pace.  He ran a hand through said hair and took off his glasses, setting them on the desk. “I’m going to need to do something. Is that okay?”

I shrugged. “Well it depends on what that something is.”

“I’m going to need you to tutor someone.”

“That someone being…?” Jeez, this guy needed to get to his point. I shifted from one foot to the other, already knowing that I was late for my next class.

“Jaspar Daniels.” I saw him cringe a little at the name. Jaspar was a delinquent of sorts. He hardly ever talked, usually keeping to himself, and was always too distracted to do any work. By his expression, I could tell Mr. Blackburn expected a different response from me. Probably something along the lines of “Oh my God! Not him! He’s so antisocial!” or “Get another nerd to do your dirty work.” Instead, though, I just nodded, keeping my expression blank.

“Okay.”

“Okay? You’re actually agreeing?” the tone he used in his voice was quite amusing.

“Yeah, I’ll do it. It’s not too bad, right?”

Mr. Blackburn shook the surprised expression he wire right off his face, finally seeming to get back to reality. “Thank you so much for this Crystal. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Probably learn how to teach.” I muttered under my breath. I think he heard me.

“I’ll let him know. Tutor sessions start tomorrow.”

“Okay, I’ll make note of that.” With one last bye, I made my way through the vacant hallways and to my next class. I checked my phone for the time. I was ten minutes late.

Thanks Mr. Blackburn.

:-:-:-:

“You’re what? Him? Wha- “

I rolled my eyes at my best friend. “For the love of God, Sophia! Let me tell you yet again. I am tu-tor-ing Jas-par Dan-i-els to-mor-row.” I said for the umpteenth time, breaking down every syllable so she could somehow get it through her head. Sophia may be getting straight A’s in every single one of her classes but she could be really stupid.

It was now her turn to do the eye rolling. “I heard you the first time. I just can’t process this. Jaspar Daniels? No one has ever heard him speak! How on earth are you expected to tutor him if the guy’s mute?”

“I don’t know, Soph. I’ll get him to speak.”

“Next!” the lunch lady yelled. I hadn’t even noticed we reached the front of the line. I got a pizza and chocolate milk for lunch. At the last second, I grabbed a cookie which earned me a glare from the lunch lady.

Holding my tray and waiting for Sophia to get her lunch, we eventually made our way to our usual table.

“How are you going to get him to speak?” She continued our conversation.

“I have absolutely no ide-“ I got cut off when I ran into something. Or should I say, someone. “Oh my God, I’m so sorry.” I looked up and my eyes met blue ones. Standing in front of me was none other than Seth Clifford. The guy I’ve had a crush on since eighth grade.

I felt my cheeks redden. I bet I looked fantastic. I forgot about my food all over the filthy floor of the cafeteria, I was too absorbed in Seth’s clear blue eyes. Oh how blue they were….

“Hey!” his voice brought me out of my daze.

I bet my cheeks reddened even more, if that was even possible. “Hmm?” I mumbled stupidly.

Seth let out a chuckle that sounded cute and sweet. Like honey. “It’s Crystal, right?”

He knew my name? He knew my name! Dear Lord, I sounded like those pathetic girls in movies whose lives revolved around boys. Ugh.

“Um, yeah,” I replied. “And you’re Seth.” Stupid, stupid, stupid! Gah! Why was it so hard to think straight around him?

He smiled now, clearly amused. “Well, Crystal,” the way my name rolled off his tongue sounded so natural, it gave me shudders. “I apologize deeply about your lunch.” I looked down at the stained tiles.

“What a waste of perfectly good pizza.” I commented, still looking down at my lunch. This got another chuckle out of Seth.

“I’m sure I’ll see you around, where I may make it up to you.” And with that, he stepped around me, his friends not too far behind, as they walked out of the cafeteria.

“That jerk.” Sophia grunted. “Doesn’t even offer to pay for a new lunch for you.” We sat down at our table, near the windows. I sat across from the blonde, who kept grumbling stuff about Seth while chewing on her sandwich. “How can you even like that guy? Yeah sure he’s attractive, but that’s it. He’s a rude, conceited, know-it-all dick.” She took a large bite from her sandwich. “Want some?” she offered, seeing as I had nothing to eat.

I shook my head. “It’s not that he’s attractive…” I started answering her. The look she gave me leaked ‘I’m not buying it.’ “Okay fine, he’s hot. Like Greek god hot. But he’s also smart and can be sweet. Also for your information, it’s just a small crush. It’s not going to amount to anything, anyways. Besides, I don’t need a man. I’m perfectly fine without one.”

Sophia rolled her eyes. She really hated Seth.  Instead of replying, though, she slid a granola bar across the table, towards me. “Eat.”

I sighed, but obliged. I was hungry. I opened up the wrapper and bit into it. It was kind of bland, but food was food. Swallowing, I could imagine it falling into the pit of my stomach. Skipping breakfast this morning hadn’t been a wise idea.

We sat there in silence for a moment, neither of us saying a word. It wasn’t an awkward silence, there could never be an awkward silence with Sophia and I. it was a comfortable one, one where we both ate.

Sophia was the first to break the silence, pointing to someone behind me and saying “Look!”

I turned around to see who or what she was pointing at. Sitting two tables down from us was none other than Jaspar. He was sitting alone, as per usual. His eyes were always cast down, not daring to look at anyone.

“What about him?” I said, turning back around.

“How are you going to get him to talk? Everyone avoids him like he’s the plague.”

“I told you, I’ll get him to talk. Don’t worry about it.”

Sophia put her elbows on the table, resting her chin on her palms. “I don’t care if he doesn’t talk. As long as I could stare at him all day.” She sighed, dreamily.

“Whatever, Soph.” I laughed as I took a sip from her soda.

What do you think? Please let me know, I'd appreciate it so much. 

Song of the chapter: Fluorescent Adolescent by Arctic Monkeys

Also for this book, I'm making a playlist. So if you have any music you recommend or think would add a little something to the story, let me know!

-Tahira

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

324K 25.4K 52
"They call him The Storm for a reason. He's Jackson Storm, you should be running in the other direction." I shook my head. "I'm going to catch that a...
51.5K 1.6K 26
16 year old girl named crystal falls in love with the guy that she knows since 11th grade named Jacob. Later she meets Ricky the guy that changes her...
257K 6.3K 21
Crystal Peters is the 'nerd' of the school. Everyone there bullies her: cutting, hitting, and words all come her way at Crystal prep. Ironic much. W...
533K 10.4K 87
[COMPLETED] "That wasn't very nice, was it princess?" He asked in a husky voice and I stuttered, trying to form words but failing. His lips leaned i...