In Her Eyes, I See The Stars...

By tokwatbaby

Legend of Korra. Korrasami fanfic. Post battle with Zaheer where Asami takes care of Korra. When she leaves... More

Blue Eyes
Caregiver
Farewell for now
Elegance and Grace
Satomobile
"Peaceful child"
Missing
Mission
Fights
Reunion
Feelings
Reunion Part 2
Korra Alone Part 1
Korra Alone Part 2
Remembrances
Similitude
Eventful Evening
Quietude
Salvation
Mirroring

Hopeful

1.1K 33 27
By tokwatbaby

The lights in the Sato estate have been brighter than Mako remembers as they park the car in the garage. Mako was just assigned to be a bodyguard to Prince Wu, who was supposed to take over the crown after his late aunt. Asami had a long day after the endless schedule of the company meetings. Mako was wearing a new uniform, probably a design for bodyguards, Asami suspected. His hair was styled in a sleek hairdo as well.

Asami and Mako went inside the Sato mansion and into the kitchen.

"I'm telling you, Asami. The Prince is going to be the end of me." Mako prompted while putting the takeout food they just ordered on the table.

"Hey. Don't be mean. I'm sure he's not that bad." Asami went to the wine rack, grabbing a red wine and two wine glasses.

"I had to stand guard outside his bathroom." Mako raised his hands in the air, with his brows furrowing, "For three whole hours! What do you do for three hours?" He almost shouted while removing the food from the paper bags.

Asami chuckled. "Well, for a girl like me, those three hours would be for an intense pampering. I don't know with a guy, though."

"Exactly!" Mako was noticeably exasperated, and Asami just smirks and shakes her head. He started eating the dumplings while the engineer put the glasses and wine on the table.

Dee entered with an envelope in his hand. He nodded at Asami and started, "Ah. Good evening Miss Sato, Sir Mako." He nodded to Mako's direction, and the detective nodded in return while munching on his food.

"Dee, you're still here. Can I help you with something?" Asami glanced at Dee then focused on the wine again.

"A letter came for you today after you left. I tried reaching you in your office, but it seems that you were busy. No one was answering, I even tried to leave a message to your assistant."

"Ah. Yeah, we were in the station the whole day. We've been doing test runs downtown. What letter is it?" Asami poured the wine in both glasses while Dee approached closer to hand in the letter.

"From the Southern Water Tribe, Miss Sato." He handed the letter to the CEO, and then went and excuse himself.

Asami was confused as she received a letter from Senna two days ago. She has explained how Korra is doing, which was more than she could ask for. She told Asami that Korra hasn't exactly been open to her and Tonraq as well. Asami concluded that Korra would only write back if she was ready or if she wants to. So, she decided she wouldn't push her any further.

When she grabbed the letter, good thing she put the wine down on the table before she loses grip and shatters the bottle. Her hands started trembling, dumbfounded by the letter right on her hands.

"Asami?"

Korra sent her a letter.

She sent me a letter. She had to reread the contents of the envelope. It was addressed to her, and it was indeed from the Southern Water Tribe and Korra's name on top of it. Korra. She isn't dreaming.

"Asami? Are you okay?"

After two years, she finally received a letter. All the loneliness she felt, the pain, the dragging of days seem to be gone with the letter on hand. She reread the name on the envelope for the last time, but it started to blur as her eyes began to moisten.

"Asami, you look pale. Wha-?"

She snapped out of her trance. She felt a grip on her shoulders that directed her to a chair to sit. She looked at Mako, who was confused. He looked at the letter in Asami's hand and then back to her.

"Is that... Korra?"

Asami couldn't find her voice, so she nods. Still stunned to even move. She didn't want to put the letter down as she was afraid that it will magically disappear.

"Well. Go on, read it." Mako had a look of anticipation, and all Asami could do was stare at the letter. Mako grabbed his food from the far end of the table and sat beside her. Asami was still staring at the letter.

"Drro you wanf me to oopfen if for you?" Mako asked while devouring his food once more.

"No," Asami responded too quickly, subconsciously holding the letter to her chest. Mako just shrugged and focused on his meal. For a second there, she was possessive of the letter of Korra. This was hers. It was addressed to her.

She carefully opened the envelope and pulled out the paper.

Dear Asami,

I'm sorry I haven't written to you sooner, but every time I've tried, I never knew what to say.

It's really her. She had to take a moment for her hands to stop shaking. She takes a deep breath, but she can feel a lump in her throat.

The past two years have been the hardest of my life. Even though I can get around fine now, I still can't go into the Avatar State. I keep having visions of Zaheer and what happened that day. Katara thinks that all of this is in my head, so I've been meditating a lot, but sometimes I worry I'll never fully recover.

Asami was full-on crying now and tried to wipe some of the tears but failed as it kept streaming down her face. Mako stopped eating and looked at Asami with concern. She held up a hand as he was about to reach for her, silently relaying that she just needs a moment.

Please don't tell Mako and Bolin I wrote to you and not them.

Asami may have to bribe Mako to keep his mouth shut.

I don't want to hurt their feelings, but it's easier to tell you about this stuff. I don't think they'd understand.

Korra

She folded the letter, let out another breath and then closed her eyes. When Asami opened them, she glanced at Mako, who was still gaping at her, waiting for her to say anything.

She opened her mouth and then closed it again. She looked at the letter and then at Mako.

"She doesn't want anyone to know, does she?" Mako eyed her with skepticism.

Asami felt guilty. She looked at him apologetically then nods.

Mako straightened to his seat. "Well, okay. That's fine. At least she's reached out to you." He paused, and locked eyes with her. "You know what that means?" A smirk was forming his lips.

"What?"

"It means she's going to marry you." Mako yelped when he was smacked in the shoulder, "Ow. Geez, Asami, that hurts." His face was scrunched up while rubbing the joint that was hit. He started again, "It means she trusts you. I don't mind if she doesn't write back to me although, if we ever see her again," He paused, they both looked at each other as the sadness sucked the air in the kitchen. Mako cleared his throat and tried to make it lighter.

"Uh, when she comes back, I'll be like 'oh so you've been writing to Asami letters and not to me?'" He mustered up a fake hurt tone, "and then Korra will be like, 'I'm sorry, I didn't know what to say to you guys.'" He tried to mimic Korra's mannerisms and voice. Still, Asami could only wince, but a smile formed her lips, nonetheless.

Mako went back to mimicking himself, yes! Imitating himself all hurt and brooding, "and then I'll be like." He pauses to get into character, "'A hello would've been nice.'" His brows furrowing with a pout forming his lips, and his shoulders crossing his chest.

And then Asami burst into laughter. Mako joined in as well. This was the most Asami has laughed since Korra left. At least the most she's allowed to. It has been a while since she felt this happy, content, and for the first time, she felt ecstatic.

It took them a while to finally settle down, and Mako reached for Asami's hand, and with sincere eyes, he started again, "Hey. Jokes aside, I'm glad she has you to confide with. As long as I know she's doing okay, then it's fine. You're both my friends, I want you to be happy. I would never hold it against you." He smiled at Asami, and she went to hug the guy. They've grown up as mature and understanding people, and she could only sigh in contentment.

"Thank you, Mako." She whispered.

After they've eaten their takeout food. Mako says goodbye to Asami because he has to stop by at the guest house of the estate to check on his family. Asami went up to her room and immediately wrote a reply to Korra.

Dear Korra,

I'm so happy to hear from you. I understand you haven't got the time to respond because you're busy recuperating and I appreciate you writing to me. You don't have to force it, just take your time. A famous philosopher once said, 'Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.' I hope you fully recover soon, but even if you don't. You're still the avatar. You're still Korra. Come back to Republic City anyway.

Love,

Asami

Two years and twenty days.

Asami's mood was evident as she walked down the hallway to her office with her boots clacking every step. Asami's hair was tied in a loose ponytail making her facial features more visible. Her makeup made her more beautiful if it's even humanly possible. The purple eyeshadow made her green orbs more prominent, her red lipstick made her lips more plump and full, her usual red and black skirt jacket hugging her curves shows her voluptuousness as her hips swayed. Her whole appeal was screaming 'confidence'.

She was greeted by her assistant.

"Wow, Miss Sato. You look... glowing." She commented with an inclination on the last word. Eyeing the heiress as she walked inside her office.

Asami gave her the warmest smile she can muster and replied, "Good morning to you too, Tin."

Tin was still eyeing her boss suspiciously. She followed her inside the office with files on her hand to go through for the day, "May I ask politely," she hesitated and then probed Asami, "did you get laid or something?"

Asami laughed heartily, not even a hint of offense taken in the question. She shakes her head, "Nope. Much better." She looked at Tin again, her eyes sparkling as she made her sit in front of her table. "So, what do you have in line for me the whole day?"

Tin's eyes widened as she stared at the heiress incredulously. This has got to be the first time Asami's been in a good mood since the Avatar left. The Avatar. Her assistant mouthed a quiet 'Ah' and smirked at Asami while handing her the paperwork.

"I'm guessing she finally wrote back?" Still smirking at the engineer.

Asami let out a sigh of relief, and then another smile formed her lips. "She did." And then subconsciously looking out her window where she can see a bit of the statue in the park. Asami gazed at it dreamily, and Tin rolled her eyes.

"Well, I hope you stay this happy. Looks good on you." Tin hovered her hands in the CEO's direction.

Asami chuckled, "I hope so."

Tin started walking towards the door but stopped and turned around, "Uh, maybe don't get your hopes up too much though?" She looked at her boss with concern but nonetheless thankful for the engineer's glow-up.

Asami tilted her head and looked at her assistant, "I won't." She gave her a small smile, and then she started skimming through the files in front of her and shortly went to work.

Three days later, she found herself checking the mailbox and much to her surprise, another letter from Korra was waiting for her. Her heart pounded loudly as she still couldn't believe that Korra is actually sending her letters. She ran a hand through the address and the name of the water tribe girl. Asami went inside quickly to finally open and read the letter.

-

Two years and one month. News about Kuvira taking over the Earth Kingdom has been the talk of Republic City news. Asami didn't know what to make of it as she has also been receiving letters from Bolin, stating that they are helping many people from across the globe. Kuvira is a good leader as she provides resources in small towns by helping build up the economy with the aid of her army. The heiress kept receiving letters from the South Pole.

-

Two years and two months. The Central City Station has been fully renovated. It has been 70% approved by Asami's lead engineers with the test runs they've been having. Hiroshi kept writing to her but still wouldn't open any of his letters. She and Korra have basically been penpals now. Sometimes Korra has bad days and just and she says it in the letter, but also has her good days and Asami couldn't be happier. The overwhelming feeling she gets in her stomach is that Korra trusts her with discernment enough to keep her going every day.

Dear Asami,

Can you tell me more about your wingsuits? You mentioned it to me in one of your letters. It amazes me how you can just create something out of nothing. I hope you're not overworking yourself. I am still struggling with my meditation, but I am getting stronger physically.

Korra

Dear Korra,

I attached a sketch of the design I worked with for the wingsuits. I used the traditional color schemes for the airbenders, and it really looks good. I also made you one, but I'm not too sure if the measurements are accurate. I will make the adjustments when you get back. And as much as I want to take a break, I've been busy with the train station. Don't strain yourself too much, please take care of yourself.

Love,

Asami

-

Two years and three months. The Future Industries have successfully preserved the roads around the vines growing in the city to accommodate both the citizens of Republic City and the spirits themselves. Asami tinkers on machines to make it more efficient, she watches a hummingbird when she was sitting at the park. Her mind started running with ideas as she sketches them on paper.

Dear Asami,

I'm having nightmares again, and it's worse than before. I tried using all four elements simultaneously during training, but I ended up on the ground. Turns out, I'm still not a hundred percent strong physically. The uneasiness is always on my mind. I don't know when I'll come back.

Korra

Dear Korra,

Have you spoken to your parents about it? How about Master Katara? Preserve your energy as much as you can. I hope you're doing the breathing exercises I have taught you. You don't have to be a hundred percent to come back. I'm still waiting for you.

Love,

Asami

-

Two years and four months. The trains have been placed on the stations. Newer Satomobile designs have been presented on the market. Asami creates an advertisement for female engineers and aspiring ones to come work for Future Industries. She found a book when she was rummaging around the library for some research about lighter steels and sleeker battery engines. It was a book called Tok and Nuzi, and the heiress smiled.

Dear Korra,

Guess what I found? The book I told you about. I sent it together with this letter if you want to read it. How are you feeling now? I recruited more female engineers in the company, and I've been keeping busy interviewing them. So many great minds in Republic City and that includes you. Say hi to everyone for me. Are you able to go to Avatar state yet? You don't have to push it. We'll still fight on your side no matter what.

Love,

Asami

Dear Asami,

I have read the book, and it's terrific. You never fail to impress me. I have never stopped meditating, Katara says it might help with the nightmares. Still no Avatar state though, Raava has been silent throughout my recovery. Thank you. Sometimes I wish we don't have to go to battles anymore.

Korra

-

Two years and five months. President Raiko visited the Central City Station. Everything is looking good, and another good test runs for the trains. Asami and Mako go for lunch dates and catch up. Mako has been busy being the Prince's bodyguard who Asami is yet to meet. They talk about the situation in the Earth Kingdom and the updates Bolin has been giving them. Korra still writes to her but is taking more time to respond now. Asami kept creating blueprints for new designs, new machines, new ideas for the city.

-

Two years and six months. Asami received a letter from Korra. Her heart warmed at the writing, and a second after reading it, she writes back to the Avatar. The company is booming, the sales are doing good, the train station is close to opening.

-

Two years, six months, and eight days. The engineer invented a better crankshaft for Satomobile engines. She checks the mailbox. No letters. Maybe Korra is busy. Asami kept designing controls that will fit the hummingbird she's been experimenting with. She goes back to the train station to see the progress.

-

Two years, six months, and twenty days. Asami checks the mailbox before going to work. Still no letters. She finds herself writing to the Avatar again that day to ask if she's okay. She fiddled with her glove again, making it lighter than before. That night before she walks inside the mansion, she rechecked the mailbox. No letters.

-

Two years and seven months. Asami asks Tin again if the office received letters from the South Pole. Maybe Korra sent it to the wrong address. Her assistant looks at her apologetically and shakes her head no. She goes on with her day.

-

Two years and eight months. Maybe Korra's in trouble? Maybe her nightmares finally got to her? Asami almost radioed Tenzin. She didn't. She almost asked her employees to prepare an airship to the South Pole. She didn't. She upgrades the turbine engine of the biplanes. She checks the mailbox. No letters.

-

Two years and nine months. If Asami lies perfectly still in bed, no movement at all, maybe the world will stop for her? Perhaps the growing emptiness inside her will stop as well. Mako checks up on her. She screams at him. He was concerned as they were supposed to have lunch that day. Asami forgot. And she didn't care. Mako left Asami alone.

-

Two years and ten months. Maybe Korra didn't mean it? Maybe she doesn't want to talk to Asami anymore. Maybe she's on her way to Republic City. Her assistant calls her. Something about the train station. Maybe Korra wants to isolate herself again. She goes to the station and checks the errors on the engine. Maybe Korra is trying to meditate to achieve the Avatar state. She fixes the engine problem.

-

Two years and eleven months. Hiroshi Sato keeps sending letters. She wishes it was from another name. She started doing the blueprints for the Hummingbird suit she's working on. New Satomobile designs. New wingsuit design. She rechecks the mailbox. No new letters.

-

Asami cries herself to sleep again. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85K 1.5K 13
This is a lot Korra and Asami. Asami is 18 and just broke up with her boyfriend mako. She gets grounded and learns that her dad is bringing a guest o...
66.2K 1.8K 24
Korra and Asami been best friends, they were inseparable. The two we're forced to apart since Korra had to go back to the South Witer Tribe to take h...
1.2K 18 9
What happened in the time gap between season 3 and season 4? This is a Korrasami fanfic, slow burn. Asami and Korra grapple with their feelings for...
210K 5.4K 33
Korra and Asami decide to express their newfound love for each other, only for it to be put to the test by a constant turn of events. WARNING: It's g...