In Her Eyes, I See The Stars...

By tokwatbaby

Legend of Korra. Korrasami fanfic. Post battle with Zaheer where Asami takes care of Korra. When she leaves... More

Blue Eyes
Caregiver
Elegance and Grace
Satomobile
"Peaceful child"
Hopeful
Missing
Mission
Fights
Reunion
Feelings
Reunion Part 2
Korra Alone Part 1
Korra Alone Part 2
Remembrances
Similitude
Eventful Evening
Quietude
Salvation
Mirroring

Farewell for now

1.5K 44 79
By tokwatbaby

There was something in the air around the island that felt different whenever Asami goes out for walks to clear her mind. Soft, breezy wind prickling her skin made her hug herself as she strode on the training grounds with no destination in mind.

Mako had to go back to work and do detective work, so he wasn't around that much anymore, and Bolin, well, she was sure he told her where he'd be going. But the heiress was too engaged in being Korra's caregiver.

The air acolytes and the other airbenders have been busy preparing for Jinora's ceremony that was happening a week from now. Asami always thought that she is wise beyond her years. The ceremony officially conducting her as the youngest airbending master in history just proved it.

It kept the island busy after the events concerning the Red Lotus weeks ago. Everyone was starting to go on their normal lives, except for maybe one particular person.

Korra.

Try as Asami might, the need to fight her way to Korra—through Korra seemed to get excruciatingly difficult. Asami can feel her slipping away. She couldn't even argue with her; everyone seems to be walking on nails whenever she's around.

Asami finally finished building the wheelchair and showed it to Korra, whom she knew she was grateful for. However, Korra didn't show it gracefully.

Korra sure knows how to take the mood out of the room when she enters. Whenever everyone sees her, their looks turn from happy to sadness, with concern lingering in the space. Because there she was, the tremendous mighty Avatar stuck in a wheelchair, helpless.

Feeding her was one task Asami dreaded. She wanted Korra to be better as fast as her body could, but she would only take two or three bites. Her muscles are starting to wilt away. The heiress knows that the Avatar is aware, hence, the lazy attitude with her healing sessions and, basically, everything.

Senna helped with her care as much as she could, but Korra wouldn't even acknowledge her sometimes. More often than she didn't want to, she found herself comforting Korra's mom, convincing her that Korra didn't mean it, and she's probably just tired. But then again, Korra's tired all the time.

Asami sighed, breathing in the fresh air. She looked at the horizon, the city's view barely visible in the thick fog surrounding it. She wonders how all the people in the Republic city are busy enjoying their lives, working in the morning and going back to their homes at night. Just normal. Oh, how she wanted to be one of those people, maybe come home, to Korra, cuddle in bed, ask how her day went, maybe ask her out on a date—.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. It was getting challenging to keep her feelings in check as she grew closer to Korra. They have had more intimate moments, in the essence of providing care per se, than she could ever imagine. Still, she didn't mind. Korra's recovery is more important right now. That's what she always says.

She eventually went back to the main house and into the dining room to join the others for lunch.

-

"How is this even fair?" Korra whined as Asami beat her to the game of Pai Sho, for the nth time.

"What? Your moves are predictable." She smiles sheepishly at the Avatar as she fixed the pieces for another game. Korra just pouted, and she used all her might to stop herself from grabbing the girl in front of her and just kiss that cute face. She then focused back on what she was doing.

"I play for the winner!" Bolin chimed as he moved the position of the board game to face in his direction and sat beside Korra.

They were out on the patio today. After Korra's healing session, she asked Asami if they can go outside because she wanted to watch the air benders train. Asami excitedly wheeled her to the patio since it was the first time she's seen interest from the Avatar in days. They saw Bolin coming from the docks with the Pai Sho board in hand. Thus, they are playing or getting their ass kicked by the heiress all the time.

"Why do we even try, Bo. Asami mastered this game. And I'm the Avatar!" Korra exclaimed, waving her hands around, and all Asami could do is look at her in awe, happy that the younger girl is in a good mood.

She then looked at her with that lopsided grin, and she swears she could feel her cheeks warming and her heartbeat pounding.

Korra had good days.

"Can I just go? I'm not even getting better!"

Asami could hear the shout from outside the room. She slid the door open to the healing room and saw Korra, her face clearly in anguish.

"Korra," Kya went to touch Korra's shoulder but stopped midway, "you need to keep up with your healing sessions. I know it doesn't look like it but, it helps if you try."

Korra scoffed, tears threatening to run down her face, "You don't think I'm trying?"

"I didn't mean—" Korra covered her face with both her hands not wanting to hear another word from the older woman.

"I just— I wanna go back to my room." Korra is now crying.

That gave Asami the cue to walk in, tapped Kya's shoulder, and gave her a warm smile. She mouthed 'I got it from here, thank you.' to the older woman, so she stood up, smiled back, and then went on to gather the materials from the healing session.

Korra was in the healing pool, so one of the healers, went to the other side to help transfer her into the wheelchair. Asami got the towels to dry her without even speaking or looking at Korra. She knew what to do. She then got the clothes for Korra and helped put them on. Well, she did most of the work. She wiped Korra's tears and looked her in those blue eyes.

"Hey," Asami held her chin so they can see eye to eye, and gave Korra the gentlest smile she could muster, "we're going to your room now, okay?" Asami then closed the gap and kissed her on the forehead. Korra only nodded, and when she was sure that it would be the only response, she sighed in defeat. The CEO wheeled her out of the room. At the minimum, she was acknowledged. It was a good enough response, at least for now.

Korra had terrible days.

-

They were both sitting on the balcony, looking at the scenery that spread into the horizon. So peaceful. So eccentric.

Jinora's ceremony just finished. It was the most beautiful thing Asami had witnessed. Everyone was there, except for Master Katara. She heard the siblings talk that she was too old to travel. Tenzin, ever so proud father of the new airbending master, delivered a heartfelt speech in front of the crowd, also acknowledging the Avatar's sacrifices to make it all possible. Asami felt a wave of contentment, Korra made this all possible, and she couldn't be happier. As delighted as everyone seemed, the Avatar, but all was downhearted. Asami was aware as she saw a tear trickle down Korra's cheek and didn't think twice to excuse both of them and get her away from everybody.

And now they were on the balcony. Everyone was still inside the temple, packing things up. The other airbenders and acolytes went back to their respective dormitories, and some went back home to the city. The sun is almost setting, and Asami wished it would stay this way for a while. Sitting beside Korra with a beautiful landscape to appreciate.

"I don't think I can be the Avatar anymore."

Asami snapped out of her trance and looked at the girl beside her. "Korra, I told you nobody expects you—"

She cut her off. "Remember when I lost my bending, and we all went to the South with hopes of Katara giving it back to me?" Korra hesitated and then continued talking, "I thought I was done then. I was useless without my bending, and I've never felt more alone."

Asami wasn't sure why Korra was bringing this up suddenly, but the younger girl continued.

"Then Katara couldn't do it. I didn't know what to do, so I went to a precipice that day," Korra's voice cracked at the end of the sentence, but Asami can tell that she's trying too hard to conceal her emotions. "I thought, maybe... Maybe if I end it, then the avatar cycle will continue and—"

Now Asami cut her off by embracing her. She was on the verge of crying, and Korra was crying now.

"Don't," Asami warned, tears threatening to spill, "just don't."

"I have no use in this world now, Asami." Korra still reasoned, but something inside the heiress snapped. She broke the hug, holding both Korra's shoulders and looking her right in the eyes. "You can't say that, Korra. Ever. I don't even care if you're the Avatar, we just want you to get better. I want you to get better." She retorted, a little harshly than she intended. "You have your family; you have me. Just." She can't bear it any longer, couldn't find any words to say so she awkwardly stayed there, sobbing in front of the Avatar, and all Korra could do was stare on the floor, just gone.

"Hey guys, I—" Jinora stopped midway and stared at both of the figures in front of her. Asami stood up and collected herself, wiping the tears in her eyes and turning around to see the master air bender.

"Did you need to talk to Korra?" Asami gave her a desolate smile. Jinora just nodded with concern in her eyes. Asami gave her a knowing look that it was okay and said that she'd be back to get Korra once their conversation is over.

After a while, she wheeled Korra back to her room quietly. The silence was deafening, but Asami couldn't care less. When they finally reached Korra's room, she started removing the bun from her head and the wolf tails. She then removed both arm sleeves, quickly asked Korra if she wanted to use the bathroom, and with a quick nod, went and assisted her.

Asami got Korra's nightclothes in the drawer and brought them inside the bathroom. She helped her out the toilet, removed her dress, then put on her tank top and pajamas. The heiress wheeled her out of the bathroom, picked her up, and laid her to bed. She asked the younger girl if she needed anything else and got a quiet 'no' for an answer.

Asami went out of the room and found herself on the patio once more, then quietly cried her heart out.

-

It had been three days after the ceremony.

Asami was drinking tea reading from a file her assistant just sent her. She pinched the bridge of her nose. The heiress can feel a headache coming in with all the sales reports from Future Industries.

She heavily sighed as she skimmed through the papers when she saw Senna coming in and sitting beside her.

"Rough day?" Senna smiled, stroking Asami's back. How are Korra's parents so lovely to me?

"Oh, you know, just stuff from the office. Nothing I can handle, though." She gave the older woman a reassuring smile.

"Don't tire yourself out. You're young; you should at least be able to relax." Senna scolded her, but Asami just shrugged.

"I think that ship sailed a long time ago when my dad decided to hate benders and assisted a terrorist group." Asami laughed, but the older woman just looked at her unamused. She then held the CEO's wrist, firm but tendered at the same time.

"How are you holding up, Asami?"

That was a question she couldn't even dare ask herself. How am I holding up?

She laid the paper down and tried to come up with an answer. In defeat, she motioned her hands in the air then sighed.

"I honestly don't know," Asami said finally.

While holding her wrist, Senna started, "I never thanked you for what you've been doing for Korra. She's been difficult these past weeks, but you're still here, heck, you're the only brave person that can be with her in the same room for a long time." Senna managed to laugh.

And Asami also did. "It's Korra; I'd do anything for her." Asami now looked down at the table, thinking about how she can be so candid with Korra's parents.

"I know, hopefully, I see you two in a wedding dress someday, walking down the aisle." Senna passively chided.

Asami's eyes widened to the extent that they might pop out. She stared at Senna in shock, the same look she gave Kya a week ago. How can I be so conspicuous?

"Wha—" Is all Asami could say, her mouth slightly open.

Senna just chuckled. "Oh, Asami. You can try to hide your feelings or, lock it in a box and throw it in the ocean, but your actions speak otherwise." Senna now held both her hands, "I see the way you look at her, take care of her. It's more than I can ask for as a mother."

"She doesn't even know. I don't know if I want to tell her now, with her recovery and everything going on, I didn't want to add stress." Asami said gloomily.

"Love is never stressed if it's with the right person. There are times where you'd want to pull your hair out too, I have with Tonraq, but at the end of the night, I will always seek the comfort he gives." She smiled and continued, "But I get where you're getting at. Give her time." Senna went and hugged her. When the hug broke, she looked at the CEO with despair in her eyes.

"We're leaving for the South in a few days with Korra. Tonraq and I thought about it. We figured it's better to keep a close eye on her, and Katara will be there to help as well."

Asami suddenly felt sick thinking about Korra leaving for the South. Maybe she could come? She'll have to arrange a meeting with the board again to accommodate her absence, but she wasn't sure if she was welcome to come. Is she welcome to come? Senna told her about it. Is this an invitation for her to come?

As if reading Asami's mind, Senna suddenly spoke, "Go talk to her. You're more than welcome to come with us." She smiled at the older woman and gave her a quick hug. She then walked in the direction of the Avatar's room.

Asami gave a light knock and invited herself in. She saw Korra sitting on her bed, whirling a small gust of wind in her finger. Those blue eyes settled on Asami, and her heart did a backflip. Spirits, keep it together.

"Hey, gorgeous," Asami stated as she found her way onto the bedside. In the past few weeks, her courage to shamelessly give playful comments to Korra developed as she noticed the girl blushing every time. And now, it didn't disappoint.

"Hi." Korra smiled at Asami and stopped air bending.

"I see you're trying to air bend, that's good." Asami smiled, ecstatic with the progress, even if it's sparse.

Korra gave a brief chuckle, "It isn't much. I feel like all my energy is draining out of me when I do even the simplest forms of bending."

Asami shrugged, "Well, progress is progress, and I'm proud of you."

Korra grinned then pinched Asami's right cheek. She wished to hide her face as she's certain that its shade is red from blushing.

"You really know what to say, don't you?" She tried wiggling on the side of the bed, patted the space as an invitation for Asami to snuggle.

"Well, I wouldn't be the CEO of a company if I don't know what to say most of the time, would I?" She's finally in bed snuggled with the Avatar, her arm draped in Korra's back, and the other in front.

Korra pretends to think about it for a moment then hums. "You're right. You're that amazing and beautiful."

This time, Asami was thankful they were positioned abreast. She carefully glanced away from Korra because her heart is about to explode.

When she was confident that her cheeks aren't blushing anymore, she then cleared her throat, trying to start the conversation she came in for in the first place.

"I heard you're going back home to the South."

That made Korra's lips form a thin line. "Yeah. I think it's better if I recover there, close to home." This is your home too. Asami thought but didn't say it out loud.

"Well, I was thinking of coming with you. I can delegate the work to my board members, and the company will be okay for a while. You can have someone with you there, except your parents, of course, and Katara, and Kya—" She realized she's been rumbling now and paused to see Korra's reaction. And it isn't what she was hoping.

"I appreciate it, Asami. More than you can imagine. But you can't just uproot yourself and come with me to the South just to take care of me. You've already done so much."

"I don't mind."

"But I do." Korra shifted a little to look at Asami who is trying so hard to conceal her despair of possibly not seeing her for a long time.

"Just a few weeks, it will be good for me. I guess I need time for myself as well. We can write letters to each other." Korra suggested, and all Asami could feel was her stomach dropping. She doesn't want me there.

"It's not that I don't want you there, Asami. It's just that you're too important in Republic City. You have a lot of work to do, and I know I don't say this enough, but I appreciate you being here with me, taking care of me. A lot is going on, especially in the Earth kingdom, and I'm sure President Raiko will need your help soon." Korra gave her a reassuring smile and snuggled closer to Asami's neck.

How could she say no to that? Defeated, she held on to Korra for as long as she can, not wanting it to end.

-

It was the day Asami had feared. Korra's leaving for the South.

The past few days, she spent her time with the Avatar as much as possible, cherishing the girl's presence. The same girl that occupied her thoughts more than she can imagine.

They were in Korra's bedroom, helping her dress up and do her hair. She was wearing her traditional vest and pants, fur pelt tied around her waist and boots that she always wears.

"I'm gonna miss you, Korra." Asami softly stated as she finished tying the Avatar's hair. "You'll write to me?" It wasn't a question, more so a request.

Korra looked up to her and smiled, "I will."

Asami was fighting the urge to cry but held it as much as she could. She removed the blue hair clip on her long raven hair, then put it on Korra's hair.

Korra was confused for a moment, but then the heiress spoke, "So whenever you look at it, you'll remember me." Asami crouched lower and hugged the younger girl. She then shifted and pressed their foreheads together. Aware of how close they were, she was looking in those blue eyes and then her lips. They stayed in that position for a moment, and Asami's heart couldn't beat any faster. It didn't help how Korra looked at her; there was something different. She has never seen that look before. The next thing she knew, she can feel the girl's face leaning closer to her face. Close enough to—.

Knock. Knock.

They both got startled and straightened up. The door slid open, and a person peeked through. It was Tenzin.

"Sorry to bother you, ladies, but I'm afraid it's time to go." He gave a curt nod and closed the door once more.

Asami took a deep breath and led the girl out of the door and to the docks.

The whole afternoon went by swiftly. Everyone was there to say goodbye to Korra and the other Southern Water tribe members. She gave Tonraq and Senna a hug, as well as Kya.

Asami knows she'll regret it. Not asking one last time if Korra wanted company. And she did, but the answer was the same. The next thing she knows, she's waving at the departing ship with Korra in it. And Asami's heart in it.

She said her farewell to Tenzin's family and the brothers, stating that she needs to get home and fix some matters at the Sato state. But all she wanted was to be alone.

When she reached the mainland, she hailed a cab going to her place. Her butler, Dee, greeted her, and Asami gave him a warm smile. She went straight to her private gym. She removed her jacket and skirt and looked through the gym's locker for more comfortable clothes to work out with. She went with a shirt that says Future Industries in the front and some tights.

Asami found the punching bag on the side of the room and went at it. She punched, kicked, and poured out all her emotions on the poor bag.

"Just a few weeks." Kick.

"A few weeks, and you'll see her again." Double punch.

She endlessly kicked and punched the bag until her body couldn't take it. She didn't have the time until her whole body gave out with the last punch. Asami laid down on the floor, breathing heavily, catching it, as if it were running away from her.

Her thoughts then went back to Korra's room and the events that happened earlier. What was about to happen if Tenzin hadn't knocked? What was the look Korra gave her? Was she actually leaning in to kiss her?

She covered her eyes, closed them until it hurt. She stayed there for a while, wishing the floor would swallow her whole.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 4.3K 42
Korra and Asami are best friends ever since middle school. Then in high school, both girls face various life-changing events in their lives. Will the...
9.8K 341 24
"I want you to know, though, that it wasn't just a desire to keep balance in the world that pushed me to sign up for this, again and again." After su...
210K 5.4K 33
Korra and Asami decide to express their newfound love for each other, only for it to be put to the test by a constant turn of events. WARNING: It's g...
85.3K 1.5K 20
So this is about korrasami in high school they've been friends for a while and start falling in love but they don't know they like each other so Korr...