Specularis (The Order - Vermi...

By katiepaterow

Hamish and Vera (+everyone else) after they stopped yet another apocalypse as narrated by Hamish (mostly). More

0.5: loved me with your worst intentions
1: are we whole or just two halves reaching out to the unknown?
2: scared that it's too easy
3: It's getting late, I better take you home
4: watch me as I disappear
4.5: 'til you're here beside me, 'til I'm touching you
5: come to me now, don't let me go
6: who said it's true, that the growing only happens on your own
7: you were the right way
8: another night, another day goes by
9: our love in a coffin, if that's how you want it
10 part 1: wait, if I'm on fire
10 part 2: when I dream of dying
11: and will you sigh with me when i'm sad?
12: if you're hurting, so am I
13: my fire is starved of oxygen
15: i don't wanna know what it's like to live without you
16: a looking glass can only show you so much (LAST CHAPTER)

14: but it's just the price I pay, destiny is calling me

192 8 1
By katiepaterow

"It's getting louder. Why is this happening?" Thomas was accurate in his observation.

"The demon is coming to your temple." Someone from the video call stated in relief.

"Why would it be coming here?" The question was met with silence.

Another caller cleared his throat to grab our attention. "Well, seeing as this is your temple's problem, I think it's best that we leave now."

"You guys are just leaving?" Selena exclaimed.

"We'd love to help, of course, but I think this is beyond our control." Murmurs of support followed the comment.

"We're just going to die here then? Including the entirety of Norwich? And maybe even the whole of Connecticut?" Angus angrily roared at the projected faces.

"We wish you all the best." One by one, everyone from the screen dropped the call.

"That's it?" A random voice called out from the room.

"We're all going to die!" And then another one.

"And for what?" Stewart accusingly glowered at Vera.

"Grand Magus?" Thomas waited for her response expectantly.

The woman in question had a troubled expression on her. She looked around and finally met my gaze. I nodded at her in encouragement.

"I-" Vera started, but a slight shaking of the floor hindered her admission. Wide-eyed and filled with trepidation, her first reaction was to look at me apologetically. "I'm going to explain everything later. For now, everyone, protect yourselves."

She immediately put herself in the front lines and braced herself for what was to come.

"Shouldn't we be protecting you, Magus?" Thomas gawked in confusion.

"He's right. You can't risk yourself." I knew that she understood what I meant. And one glance at her, I also heard her unspoken confession.

"What kind of leader would I be if I'm not willing to protect my people? It only makes sense for me to be the one to greet the demon, and I'm not afraid." There were so much fire and sincerity in her eyes. As much as it pained me to let her, this was something she stood for, and I couldn't allow myself to be in the way, because it wouldn't have been fair.

I refrained from any emotion to be visible on me. The urge to plead her, to stand in front of her; it was a lot to repress. My love for her still outweighed everything that I felt, and the greatness of that emotion made me desire what she wanted.

So instead, I did the single best thing I knew I could do: I remained by her side. My display of loyalty must have inspired some of the Council. They, too, had marched towards us to defend the rest.

Thunderous footsteps were audible from the outside, and then all of a sudden, the door vanished, and we were all faced with who I assumed was Xzhuria in a long, blue gown, a hoard of an undead army, and a smug green demon whose smirk was directed at Vera. I gulped at the realization of their identity.

"So," Tiltidor grinned maniacally. "We meet again, Grand Magus."

"Again?" A member of The Council gasped. "Grand Magus, what does the demon mean by that?"

"Oh, you didn't know? Well, of course, you didn't. You wanna tell them yourself, Magus?"

"Too late." Tiltidor snapped their fingers, which caused Vera's mouth to disappear. My heart quickened as my fury grew. It wasn't until she tugged at my shirt and gave me a reassuring look that I was able to calm myself. "You see, your Magus here summoned me not too long ago to- and you'll never guess this, retrieve her magic."

"What?" The effect it had only spurred Tiltidor on.

"And it was stolen by some previously dead werewolf named Alyssa Drake. Y'all must know who that is, hmm?"

"Alyssa Drake is alive?" Someone echoed.

Vera made a sound, distracting the demon's aims. "What was that? Were you trying to beg for your life?"

Tiltidor snapped his fingers again in curiosity, and her mouth was back. "No. I said you're pretty petty for a demon."

"Oh, you bitch-" They were cut off when the back of Xzhuria's hand came into contact with their chest.

"Tiltidor, your time's up." The empress's melodic voice commanded. "It's time for me and my daughter to reunite as you've promised."

"Daughter?"

"Oh, right. Does the name Lilith Bathory ring any bells? We need her." Tiltidor scanned the room.

"And if we give her to you, you're going to go?" Thomas negotiated.

"Of course. But not before we've ripped this place apart."

"Thomas, you can't seriously be thinking of staying. It's time to go." Mr. Bernard scoffed.

Thomas's response was forced and his gaze remained at Vera the entire time. "You're... right. We should go."

"This was a nice day for revelations, wasn't it, Vera? Too bad you won't get to enjoy it." The idiotic Councilor smirked.

"What about us?" An acolyte posed.

"You can blame Vera if you die."

"What?" Complaints and panicked shrieks were heard all over the room.

"Ianuae magicae." With a teleportation device that the Head of Council took out of his briefcase, they all disappeared.

"Well, now that all of that was over, where is the Empress's daughter?"

Gabrielle's incessant annoyed tone reverberated. "Randall, let her go. Nicole, it's going to be fine."

Right then, the crowd parted for them, and everyone was audience to the scene that took place. Randall's grip was on Lilith's wrist while Nicole's tears were a continuous waterfall.

"I'm right here," Lilith called out as soon as the two unwillingly accepted her determination.

Xzhuria's smile was timid, nevertheless, it was there. "My beloved, come to me."

Lilith scrunched her nose. "Beloved, my ass. You are never going to get any closer to me because I'm not going to let you."

Her mouth was turned upside down. "You have no choice. I own you now."

"Hell, no."

"You better not deny Xzhuria what she wants. She'll get you eventually. Better give yourself up while you still can." Tiltidor tsked.

"No fucking way. You're never going to drag me anywhere." She slightly tilted her head to the side. "Now."

"In eu daemonium captionem. " Gabrielle chanted, her bleeding palm upon a more potent version of the demon trap.

"Since when did you guys plan that?" Randall shot at them taking offense.

"Everybody stay behind us!" Vera yelled as the army started moving towards us. "Use every spell you've ever learned and find a way to save yourselves. We will be right in front of you."

I signed at Randall, Gabrielle, and Jack, mentally wishing them luck.

"A demon trap? You think you can contain me with a demon trap?" Xzhuria seethed.

"For a little while." Lilith shrugged.

"And how is that going to help you and everybody else in this room?"

"Not sure, but it's gonna give me time to be able to do this." Fire spurted straight out her hands and her mouth.

The surprise attack served to Lilith's advantage, and she kept going.

But it didn't take long for Xzhuria to be back on her feet again and instantly caught Lilith's fire with ease.

Nicole attempted to help, but even with preoccupied hands, the demon retaliated through the demon's feet. Balls of fire were released from them. Gabrielle hastily rushed beside her. "Scutum usque."

The clashing of the shield she conjured up and the powerful demonic attack caused her to lose balance, but Randall caught her.

"Don't put yourself in too much danger." Vera and I looked at each other and then straight ahead.

"You too." Possessing only a magical sword, she lunged towards the crowd of our enemies' allies, and I followed suit.

The battle went on for a couple of minutes before Xzhuria concluded that she's had enough. "You're not making this easy? Then I will."

She waved her hand to the side, a dark circle slowly forming that turned into a vacuum that magnetized us all towards it. With one-hundred percent certainty, I gathered that that thing was a portal.

Despite the harsh winds and the inescapable pull, Lilith stood her ground and resumed launching strikes at the opponent.

Vera did absolutely all that was in her limited power to stop everyone and herself from being sucked in. The three other Knights let their wolves out to assist Vera.

In the corner of my eye, I noticed Angus nearing the portal. Without hesitation, I run towards him whilst taking my shirt off. As I approached him, I recognized that I had no time. Not my favorite pants.

Tundra scratched at the ground, creating something we could hold onto. And before it was too late, Tundra extended a paw for Angus to reach. I growled in his direction to alert him of my efforts, which he successfully did. But regardless of the attempts to hold on, we were slipping away.

I closed my eyes in fear, unable to think clearly. But then, I felt myself being lifted from the hole. It was Greybeard that came to our rescue.

I panted relentlessly after being placed onto the floor. Everything was still in chaos. My eyes searched for all my friends and Vera, and a wave of comfort settled in me. They were all still alive-

"Vera?" Jack, who was back in his human form, noticed Vera staring at something.

She was a deer caught in headlights once she captured my gaze.

"I'm sorry." It was as if everything was in slow motion. She surged towards Xzhuria, a spell spilling off of her lips. "Percussit eam in capite-in." Her hands were towards the empress's right rib, a glow resembling a lightning bolt coming out of her fingers. A shrill scream and then two bodies down.

"Vera."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.3K 461 31
Rene Adams. A student at Belgrave University. Her adventurous soul winds herself into an unpleasant situation. She finds the hide of Alpha that had b...
13.9K 376 20
𝒊 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝒊𝒏 𝒎𝒚 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒍, 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒔 *** A medieval lesbian love story that takes plac...
147K 4.8K 79
❛︎ 𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘊𝘢𝘯'𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘬 ❜︎ 𝙄𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝, 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 𝙞𝙣 𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙝 𝙖𝙣 𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙡 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙘𝙝 �...
1.5K 39 30
A sequel to 'The Knights Of Saint Christopher'. The group get into two muddled up situations with an unknown organisation and vampires...yes, vampire...