Lycans Of The Woods

By Victoriously321

It has been many years since Lycans revealed themselves to the world. Many humans have had difficulty adjusti... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65

Chapter 56

19.2K 849 26
By Victoriously321

"Are you certain that you don't want this?" I offered Willow a bowl of stew for the second time. She curled her upper lip and eyed the bowl I held up towards her.

Willow's arms were folded behind her back, and she stood near the walls of the home, with Henri now by her side.

Jeremiah was casually walking around the room with Frederick trailing along behind him, and Elle was sitting stiffly in a rocking chair, back straight and eyes piercing as she looked over each individual seated for what seemed like the seventh time since she arrived at the home, which had been ten minutes ago.

"No thank you. I generally tend to prefer my food being a bit more...raw." Willow flashed a strained smile as she said this, showing her fangs.

"You ate Athena's casserole, though." I pointed out.

"I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings by refusing."

"Do you not care about hurting my feelings when you refuse the generous bowl of stew I took out for you?"

Willow's eyes narrowed whilst I smiled innocently at her, and I heard Sophie snicker loudly beside me.

"I'll take it." A female lycan, whose name I understood to be Lynn, held out her hands for the bowl. After sending one last look to Willow, which she scowled at, I gave it over.

As time passed, and as conversations occasionally dwindled and picked up, the more I was pulled into discussions.

I gave my input when needed, and was intrigued by the way the pack members seemed to value each word that came from my mouth, and their attention. I too started friendly conversations as well, and as time passed, my nerves lessened.

"Do you want to help me light some candles, Olivia? It's getting very dark and the electricity isn't working the best." Sophie asked when there was a pause in conversation. I looked away from the fruit stick I had been eyeing whilst speaking to Birch, and straightened.

"Erm, sure." I muttered, deciding to scoop up the snack before standing, nibbling on the fruits before chucking away the stick that remained after into a bin.

Willow shifted from where she stood, and I heard her soft footsteps as she began following Sophia and myself.

A drawer opened and closed, and I took the box of matches Sophie gave to me. I immediately noticed the brand; they were very cheap, and a particular, kind neighbor had at times given a few to my mother.

I shook the match box lightly, hearing the contents shake and tapped my fingernails along the orange strip on the box whilst Sophie pulled out some candles.

"You are always welcomed to come by my home, Olivia." Sophie murmured, clutching the candles to her chest and circling the room. I'd pause every now and then, lighting some of the candles she placed down before resuming in following her.

My eyes followed her movements for a few seconds after she spoke, and as if sensing my stare, she glanced over her shoulder towards me.

Her smile was wide. "Don't look so surprised, luna. I've enjoyed your company tonight. Perhaps you'd like to come over later this week for breakfast?"

The creaking noises of wood behind me signaled that Willow was close by. When I looked towards her, I searched her face and realized that her expression gave away little of what she thought.

I knew she'd more than likely be pulling some sort of face, or a warning would be shining in her eyes if she disapproved of Sophie's invitation, not that it was for hers to answer to anyway.

However, I knew that Willow had a better understanding of Sophie's character than I did, especially since it seemed as if they'd interacted before, so I would consider her judgement before making a decision. At the moment however, her expression was calm.

I faced Sophie once more and smiled softly. "That would be lovely. What day would you think it best that I come by?"

Sophie hesitated and watched as I lit a green candle she'd placed on a table, near where the lycans sat. "Perhaps Friday morning?" Her eyes searched my own. "You won't be busy then, will you?"

"Training." Willow's voice came from behind me. I exhaled quietly.

"I'll just have breakfast with Sophie before training." I muttered, returning back to the circle. Sophie nodded, and I didn't look behind me to see what Willow thought of my words.

I heard the noise of a loud pop, and my head jerked towards where Lynn and a male hunter, Benn, sat. Benn held a bottle of opened wine, and his eyes twinkled with delight as he watched me,

"Are you up for drinking some of this?"

************

I refused anymore of the wine after taking several sips of it. It burned my throat, and there was a slight sting in my chest that stayed until I poured myself a glass of water and drank it.

An hour had passed since the candles had been lighted, and Willow had cleared her throat at least three times throughout that hour, attempting to get my attention so we could leave.

I didn't respond to her; I was happy to be speaking with those around me.
After a while, a clock showed that eleven p.m. was approaching, so I stood.

Eyes travelled my way almost immediately, and I saw puzzled expressions when I blatantly winked long and twice at Willow. She rubbed a hand across her forehead, eyes closing and shoulders lowering as she sighed before nodding.

"I'll be returning back home," I told those who were watching me, including Sophie and Jeremiah who both were slightly frowning at my announcement.

I'd learnt from Lynn that lycans, who had yet to find their mates, at times have relationships with those who too had yet to find their mates.

These relationships came to a halt once one of them found their mates, and splits were usually amicable. However, Sophie and Jeremiah, didn't necessarily seem to be in a relationship, but they clearly liked each other.

I enjoyed teasing him about this as the warriors and I walked to my home after saying goodbye to those who were still in Sophie's home.

Jeremiah's cheeks were dark, but a smile played on his lips at my words whilst he shook his head. We parted ways soon after, and I stepped into a dark and very quiet home.

After glancing around warily, I knelt to take off my boots after taking off my coat, and when I stood, I reached a hand outwards, sensing Hannes' presence.

His fingers intertwined with my own, and I sighed in exasperation.

"I thought you would have returned earlier." There was no annoyance held in Hannes' voice, just surprise.

"Why are all the lights off?" I muttered, using my free hand to feel around me. I heard Hannes' laugh, and a light came on above. I squinted up at Hannes, who simply smirked at me before switching off the light again.

"Really Hannes?" I pulled on his hand, tugging him towards where I knew the living room would be. It was only when I got closer to it that I realized the television was on, and the light that came from it allowed me to navigate my way inside of the room easily.

After noticing the television, my gaze rested on two bowls containing what Hannes told me to be ice-cream.

Finding a movie that was actually interesting and entertaining was difficult at first, and by the time Hannes did, I had finished off the almond flavoured ice-cream, and tiredness had begun to seep in.

I attempted to stay awake for as long as I could, but my eyes strained and burned from fighting off the need to close them.

And then, Hannes abruptly pulled me to him, allowing my head to rest on his lap, his hand gently stroking along my long hair which I'd re-twisted shortly after returning from the hunt.

"Go to sleep, Olivia." Hannes' voice was soft, assuring, and I turned on my side, head facing his stomach as I closed my eyes.

The sounds coming from the television became distant and seemed to be further and further away as I was pulled into sleep.

*************

"Your aim is getting better." Jeremiah commented, placing a hand on my shoulder as he said this. I lowered my right arm slightly at his prodding.

Both of my hands gripped a pistol, and I could feel beads of sweat trickling along my back as I stared at the target, seeing the many holes that were a result of me shooting it.

I swallowed thickly, glancing back at Jeremiah, who nodded.

I pulled the trigger, and my lips pressed tightly together as I resisted grimacing and and smiling. I'd missed the center, but had managed to shoot closer to it than previously. I shifted on my feet, toes somehow beginning to feel numb after staying so stiffly in position for so long.

"Would you like to take a break?" Jeremiah asked. "We've been doing this for a long while now."

I shook my head before he could finish his sentence. I wanted to continue practicing, and hit the damn middle of the target. I heard Willow behind me, pacing back and forth like she'd been doing since we came to Hannes' gun range.

Warriors had left and entered throughout the morning and early part of the afternoon, some choosing to watch me until Willow ushered them away, whilst others practiced their aims as well.

"We'll be taking a break, Olivia." Willow's voice was stern. I lowered my hands and watched her, seeing a flash of concern in her eyes.

"Your fingers are trembling." She noticed, walking forth and running a hand over them after I gave the pistol to Jeremiah. I nodded, noticing this as well; it was partially because of eagerness and frustration.

What I later discovered was that it was because of hunger as well, and the shaking ceased once I'd eaten the sandwich Jeremiah had brought for me since I'd forgotten my own.

As I listened to the warriors practice their aims and handling guns, my mind began to drift to dark times when I was a child, especially when the shooting noises seemed to echo louder and louder with each passing moment.

Eventually I stuffed the remainder of the sandwich into my mouth, took several swallows of water from my bottle and lifted the gun up from Jeremiah's hands.

He returned by my side as I took aim, his hand ensuring that my earbuds were on correctly before he placed a heavy hand on my back, making me straighten it.

Willow had stopped pacing by then, and simply looked on, arms folded tightly across her chest.

"Breathe, Olivia." Jeremiah told me quietly, his deep voice reassuring as he stood behind me. "And focus on only this. Don't let your mind wander when facing your targets. Enemies could easily be able to know when your thoughts are beginning to drift away from them and they won't hesitate to attack. Focus."

I exhaled slowly, rolling my shoulders, pushing any possible intrusive memories or thoughts aside. My eyes and hands were steady and I held the gun firmly.

Seconds ticked by, and my gaze remained on the red dot in the middle of the target, the area which I sought to pierce with the pistol's bullet.

Focus.

My finger lifted slowly, and I exhaled again, before pulling the trigger. I barely flinched at the sound of the gunshot that echoed, and my breath seemed to be caught in my throat when I lowered my hands.

I'd hit the center. My eyes narrowed as I carefully examined that the bullet had penetrated it, and I felt Jeremiah slap my shoulder, unaware that his slap had been painful. I smiled through the sting as he congratulated me.

"Good job, Olivia." Willow's voice was less enthusiastic than Jeremiah's, but it was not necessarily ingenuine. I nodded, and she looked over me.

I heard the sound of footsteps after a door was opened, but my attention swayed to Jeremiah when he began to switch the targets, getting rid of the bullet ridden one I'd used.

"I believe she is here for you, Luna." Willow's voice was low with distrust, and I glanced at her in confusion before turning on my heels, eyebrows raising high when I saw Helda.

She stood awkwardly a bit outside of the doorway, hand grasping the handle of one of the heavy doors so it wouldn't slam into her.

She appeared skittish, nervous almost, and she watched me for a long while, inhaling deeply before calling out to me,

"Can we please talk?"

My gaze flickered up and down her rigid body, lingered on her almost trembling lower lip. I straightened, pistol still in hand.

"I can not talk for long," I told Helda and then gestured to the target that was now set up. "I have training to return to soon."

Helda nodded. "I understand. I just want to have a few words with you outside."

I tapped the pistol along the side of my leg once, glanced at Willow who continued to eye Helda, ensuring that she became uncomfortable under her scrutiny. Helda sighed softly, shaking her head before looking at me once more,

"Please, Olivia."

"We can hold off practicing for ten minutes, if that's what you'd like," Jeremiah spoke up from where he stood by the target.

I hesitated, eyes running up and down Helda once again, and nodded. I looked to both of the warriors, promising,

"In ten minutes I'll be back."

********
Chapters 57-65 are available on Inkitt for free!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 54.4K 34
Ella Marcelle has always been the quiet werewolf girl. All through elementary school and middle school she was bullied because of her weight. But onc...
62.4K 2.7K 13
Yoongi wakes up to a small homeless child looking up at him after he opened his door.
34K 2.1K 50
(Completed) Logan Avery is a Werewolf that is presumed dead. After being away from his home for many years, he has to return home to fulfill a prophe...
2.5M 86.4K 46
"Shift." His voice hit me like a serrated blade as he stepped out of the crude semicircle of hardened wolves that had formed around me. I pushed mys...