Sokeefe Oneshots

By JuneFlowers24

Just another book filled with mushy gushy Sokeefe fluff, because we all know it's the best thing since sliced... More

Amusement (Human AU)
Homemade (Part One)
Homemade (Part Two)
Homemade (Part Three)
Dancing Under the Stars
Breath
An Interesting Interview (Part One)
An Interesting Interview (Part Two)
Almost Bliss
Pain
Sorry, I'm Taken (Human AU)
Quarentine Sucks
Misunderstood (Part One)
Misunderstood (Part Three)
Christmas Special!
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Always

Misunderstood (Part Two)

3K 48 342
By JuneFlowers24

"Sophie?"

She lifted her head from the ball she'd scrunched into on the dew-sprinkled grass at her name. Her eyes searched through the dim light until they met her adopted dad's.

Realizing she probably looked like a mess, and ignoring her eyelashes — which were itching to be tugged in the worst way — Sophie quickly brushed herself off and hopped to her feet.

Grady wasn't looking any less concerned. "Are you okay, kiddo? We were looking all over for you. No one knew where you were. And trust me, we checked." His expression changed from worried to furious in the blink of an eye. "You are in so much trouble, young lady."

Sophie couldn't find it in her to reply, so she didn't. She simply nodded her head, and starting walking toward the house, which was in all of its nighttime glory. The beauty of the light shimmering through the windows across the golden exterior helped her mood a little. At least she could crash and pretend the day was just a dream. Not that that ever worked, but hey, there was a first time for everything, right?

Grady caught up easily, thanks to her snail-like pace. "Hey, where do you think you are going, missy? I'm not done with you yet! We need to talk about how you blackmailed your bodyguards before you go to Everglen."

Sophie wanted to groan, cry some more, and throw up all at the same time. That's right, she was expected to be at a sleepover at Everglen tonight! But she wasn't sure if she'd survive it. "Yeah, about that, dad... I think I'm gonna cancel. I'm not feeling good."

Grady's brow furrowed with concern again at this, almost every trace of anger vanishing immediately. But not all of it. "What's wrong, Sophie? Elves aren't supposed to get sick." He raised an eyebrow. "You can't make excuses to get out of your punishment, you know."

She wanted to collapse somewhere and stay there in that moment, pretending she was invisible for a few days. Maybe then she'd feel better. "I know, dad, I know. I'm not trying to get out of my punishment. I just don't feel good."

All traces of anger and skepticism left Grady's features now. He places his hands on her shoulders as he stepped out in front of her, keeping her from going any further. Not that she was making much progress at her speed. "Kiddo, if there's something wrong, tell me. You know you can trust me, right?" He peered into her eyes, looking for the answer. She instinctively looked away to hide the glassiness in her eyes. "If you don't want to talk to me, you can always talk to Edaline about it. I know sometimes it's easier to talk to another girl than your dad." His face fell a little bit, but he was clearly trying to hide it. It made Sophie feel more guilty on top of everything else.

"No. Dad, no, it's not that, I promise," Sophie said quickly, giving him a hug that probably made her feel more better than him. It took her a second to remember she should probably let go, or at least loosen her grip. He already knew something was up; she didn't need to encourage that train of thought. "What time is it?"

Grady gently pulled out of the hug to face her. He still looked concerned. "About six. Why?"

"Just wanted to make sure I still have time to pack before I head over to Everglen." When Grady raised an eyebrow, she added quickly, "I don't want to disappoint Biana. I'll probably feel better in a bit anyway."

As Sophie made the trek across fields, though the front entryway, and up to her room, she couldn't help but feel guilty for lying again. She didn't want to disappoint Biana, of course, but at this point the only real reason she was going was so her parents didn't think anything was wrong with her. She didn't want their pity, and she didn't want them to worry, and she really didn't want to talk about it.

Sandor was waiting in her doorway, arms crossed, the dirtiest look she'd ever seen on him plastered across his face.

"And where," he practically spat, "were you?"

Sophie felt her cheeks heat up. "I was... well, I was—"

Just as she ran out of words to say, Flori scuttled around Sandor and got in between them. "This isn't her fault, Sandor. I let her go. She's not to blame here."

Sandor scoffed. "She should know better! Sneaking off like that was the perfect opportunity for the Neverseen to come after her and make their move!" He sighed wearily, his stance sagging as he rubbed his grey forehead, looking tired. "I knew I shouldn't have left her with only one bodyguard while I went out on patrol. I knew..."

Sophie ducked her head, a wave of shame washing over her like the ocean in Maine over the beach. "I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't do that anymore. I thought it was urgent."

Sandor opened his mouth to respond, eyes narrowed, but Flori cut him off. "That's alright, Sophie. We can talk about it some more when you get home. You don't want to be late!"

Sandor growled and stomped off, grumbling things like "weakling gnomes" and "death wish." But when Sophie had an overnight bag packed, he followed her up to the cupola all the same, Flori following with an amused twinkle in her eye, and the three clasped hands as Sophie called down the crystal for Everglen.

When they re-appeared in front of the glowing golden gates mere seconds later, Sophie almost stumbled back in surprise as the gates swung open, almost knocking Sandor over like a domino, and Biana rushed out with a crazed look that vaguely resembled a grin on her face, grabbing her wrist in a vice-like grip and dragging her toward the castle-like house. "Sophie, finally! We've been waiting for you! I just got a HUGE scoop today on Tam— Linh spilled the tea— and y—" She stopped short (talking and walking) when she actually decided to look at Sophie's face. "Okay, what's wrong? You're making your worrying face that makes everyone want to crawl into a hole and hide until it goes away."

Sophie snorted. That's exactly what she wanted to do. Right then, as a matter of fact. "I'm fine, Biana. Really."

Biana did not look convinced.

"What were you saying about Tam?" Sophie said quickly, hoping her friend would take the bait. She was a smart girl; this could go badly if she called Sophie out on trying to distract her.

Though she gave Sophie a concerned once-over, Biana took the bait. Sophie had to hold back a huge sigh of relief as Biana hopped back into motion and dragged her through doors and halls and up many stairs, chattering about what she'd missed since she'd been a little late. She forced herself to focus on the news about Tam, since that seemed like something she might need to pay attention to just in case, and learned that Linh, being the first — and sort of early — arrival had told only Biana the mysterious news about her brother so far; they'd been waiting for her before telling anyone else so they could all be shocked together or something. It wasn't like there were many more people to shock, though, unless you counted the Fitz and Keefe, who Sophie hoped would keep their distance. It was just supposed to be Biana, Linh, Marella, and Sophie.

The next two hours were a whirlwind of activity that Sophie could barely keep up with. It felt like there were way more than four of them in Biana's room as Biana, Linh, and Marella raced around, helping each-other pick out gowns from Biana's wardrobe and apply makeup to each-others' faces that looked like a professional had done it. Sophie was only able to sit back and watch (and be attacked with hairbrushes and makeup wands and dresses, of course), since her makeover skills were absolutely none.

There was plenty of gossiping, of course. No good sleepover could go on without it. Linh filled everyone in on Tam's new girl drama while they worked: apparently two human girls were chasing after him and not-so-subtly fighting for him. He had no idea how they knew him, she said mysteriously, but they were being very persistent, and Linh thought Tam was starting to like one of them. He wouldn't admit who to her, though, to which all the girls moaned, while Sophie held in a chuckle. Until Biana almost poked her eye out with a mascara wand. That sobered her up pretty fast, and she glared at Biana. The teal-eyed girl laughed and continued her work.
(We don't appreciate enough that Fitz isn't the only one with those purty teal eyes!)

At the point where they were beginning their third hour of Makeover Mania and Sophie was beginning to twitch from the strain of too much girlie-ness, Biana suddenly stood and declared triumphantly, "Done!"

For quite awhile Sophie had actually been afraid to open her eyes, but when she did, she gasped. Her friends looked more royal than actual royalty.

Biana was dressed in a flowing, poofy pink gown layered in chiffon like one of those Barbie cakes Amy had begged for every year on her birthday until she turned eight. Pearls and diamonds were sprinkled across it like glitter, and the girl inside it looked like she was ready to jump for joy if it weren't for her long, delicate skirt. Her hair was also done in an intricate braid that wrapped around her head like a crown before cascading gracefully down her back in a wavy ponytail.  Her makeup had been coordinated to match the light pink tone of her dress.

Linh's outfit was more simple. She wore a delicate light blue gown that gave the impression that if you touched it, your hand wouldn't touch fabric, but sky. The waist had a silver vine creeping around it, and the sleeves were short and simple, right in between tank and cap sleeve length. Her hair was done up in a simple bun, a few strands left framing her face, and her makeup was light and natural.

Marella's look was a lot like Linh's, except her gown's sleeves were off-the-shoulder, and it looked like someone had made it out of flames. It was a fierce sort of majestic, just like Marella. Her makeup was mostly light but her red lipstick and distinct eyeliner.

The other three ushered Sophie over to the mirror with them, clearly bubbling with excitement which put a smile on Sophie's face, and they all ooh-ed and ah-ed at how pretty the others looked. Sophie just stared at herself like she was looking at a stranger.

Her dress had the same sleeves as Linh's, but they were wider at the top of her shoulder and thinner at the bottom, like dressy shoulder pads that rippled as it was thinner fabric. Golden roses with little golden leaves connected the sleeves to the rest of the dress, and the roses lined the top and hem of her gown, along with the waist, which was lined much more thickly. The dress itself was a deep, velvety red that faintly glittered but had no glitter, and the fabric felt like silk in her hands. (She silently thanked whoever had chosen the dress for not choosing a scratchy one.) Apparently they had decided to leave her hair down, but it was in loose curls, and a rose that matched her dress was pinned in her hair.

Before she could fully grasp how different she looked, Sophie found herself being whisked away down the hall (thankfully not tripping, as someone had been a genius and given her flats), down stairs, and through many doors before finally, the group burst into the dining room at Everglen, the first room Sophie had even been in when she started her new life in the Lost Cities. She had a lot of mixed feelings connected to the room, but tonight she was determined to have fun.

Until she saw Keefe.

From the moment she sat, she was noticeably avoiding joining the conversation. Fitz, Biana, Linh, and Marella exchanged a few looks once in a while, but they didn't bother her about it. Sophie wasn't sure if she was thankful or a little hurt that they didn't seem to care.

Thankfully, Alden and Della filled up all gaps in the conversation, Alden utterly oblivious to the awkwardness between Sophie and Keefe, Della doing her best to be cheerful but clearly having noticed what was happening. They kept everyone smiling and laughing throughout the whole dinner, and Sophie sent them a silent thank you.

When everyone's plates were absolutely picked clean, Alden rose from his chair, a mysterious smile on his face, and suggested everyone go outside for a moment. Curiosity eating away at all, though Sophie was sure no one was more focused than her — definitely not because she was trying not to think about Keefe — everyone promptly slipped out the back door to the beautiful patio where Sophie had seen her first aurenflare. The memory set her on edge for a moment, but the feeling melted away when there were a few gasps, and she looked up.

The sky was filled with thousands — millions — of shooting stars. But these were somehow better than a meteor shower. The orbs of light were in varying shades of light blue, purple, green, and yellow, and it almost looked like they exploded in glitter when they disappeared. Sophie's eyes widened; it was breathtaking.

"My distant cousin is a Flasher," Alden explained when he saw the awe on Sophie and her friends' faces. "He consented when we asked him to do this because Biana is his favorite." He said this with a smile and a wink, but by the face Biana made, and the scowl on Fitz's face, obviously it was true to some extent.

They watched the lights flicker through the sky for so long Sophie lost count. Now, she had seen Keefe fidgeting all night, never able to look her in the eyes, and she'd done her fair share of eyelash-tugging (she doubted she had many left), but in that moment, Sophie let everything fall away — all her troubles, her stress, her worries —and let herself bask in the beauty of the lights.

It was a rare moment of peace that she took without a second thought.

But, unfortunately, all beautiful moments have to end. Sophie just wished it hadn't felt so fast as she trudged up the stairs, exhausted, with the other three girls, Keefe and Fitz trailing behind on their way to bed as well. It had to be past one in the morning. But it had been so worth it that she didn't even feel heaviness in her chest when her eyes flicked back to Keefe again and again. She guessed it had something to do with her exhaustion, but she wanted to believe it had something to do with the shooting-stars-that-weren't-shooting-stars, too.

Naturally, they all had their own bedrooms. The Vackers did not do small; it was go big or go home. Sophie wasn't surprised when Biana led her to the room she always slept in at Everglen after dropping off Linh and Marella to their respective bedrooms. Sophie and Biana waved half-heartedly at one another, and said a quick good night before Sophie retreated into her room, ready to collapse, and Biana made her way back to her room for the night.

Finally alone, Sophie unzipped the red dress and slipped on the pajamas Della had probably left especially for her on the bed. They were super comfortable, and that's all that mattered to her as she got under the silky covers, cuddled Ella close (whom she had brought from Havenfield with some of her other things), and let her eyes drift closed, welcoming sleep with open arms.

She was almost out until a noise had her eyes popping open again. Her door had creaked. She was facing away from the door, so she had no idea who it was, and was prepared to fight Lady Gisela when she heard the person speak. And the voice was all-too familiar.

"Foster," Keefe whispered, "I just want you to know... I'm so sorry."

- - -

Part three coming soon because I'm motivated now! Hang tight guys...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 44.4K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
905K 41.4K 175
๐’Š๐’ ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ the boy who lived falls for the girl who had no one
2.7M 64.6K 131
[BOOK ONE IN THE LIFELINE SERIES] lifeยทline หˆlฤซfหŒlฤซn/ noun "A person you can always depend on to help you in a really messed up situation where you n...
243K 6K 52
โŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏ เชœโ€โžด ๐…๐„๐„๐‹๐’ ๐‹๐ˆ๐Š๐„ .แŸ โ› & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. โœ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...