Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

Two Sides of the Same Coin:

301 12 9
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Byleth:

"So, what is our game plan?" Claude asked as he sat beside Byleth.

Byleth looked up from her plate, "Right now?" she sighed "So demanding, I can't even enjoy lunch" she added with a slight frown.

Claude chuckled, "Oh, come on" he said while shaking his head "You know you already have a plan" he added.

"Maybe..." Byleth hummed, "Although, it's best we wait for their attack then take the defensive" she said.

Claude tilted his head in confusion, "What do you mean?" he asked.

"We let them in the outer parts of the monastery, like how it was when the Empire invaded" Byleth said "That way we leave any of the neighboring towns out of the fighting" she added.

Claude nodded, "That makes sense" he said "So we just sit and wait for them to attack then, huh?".

Byleth nodded, "Yes, exactly" she replied.

Claude was silent for a moment, "I still can't believe that Rhea actually had the audacity to demand we give you up to her" he said while shaking his head.

Byleth raised her eyebrows at him, "Does that really surprise you?" she laughed.

Claude smiled slightly, "I suppose it shouldn't" he hummed.

Byleth was silent for a moment, "It's so weird to think that we'll soon come face to face with Rhea" she said.

Claude looked to her, "Are you afraid?" he asked.

Was she?

Byleth frowned, "I don't know" she said.

Claude nodded, "Understandable" he sighed "In all honesty, I'm a little afraid" he said.

"Oh, yeah?" Byleth asked.

Claude nodded, "Yeah, definitely" he said "She can turn into a freaking dragon" he added.

Byleth laughed, "I suppose you have a point" she said pausing for a moment "Claude if I should die during any of our battles, just know I enjoyed being alongside all of you guys" she said.

Claude frowned, "Yesh, that was depressing Byleth" he said.

Byleth smiled softly, "I know" she sighed then got up from her seat "I'll see you later Claude'' she said and left from the dining hall.

They had been back for a day already and things were slowly getting to where they needed to be.

"Byleth" A voice called out to her.

Byleth turned around to see Edelgard.

"No Hubert?" Byleth asked.

Edelgard shook her head and laughed softly, "No" she said "No, Hubert" she added.

"That must have taken a lot of persuasion," Byleth said.

Edelgard nodded her head, "It did" she sighed "I'm not even the emperor anymore and yet I still have to beg for a moment to myself" she added while shaking her head.

Byleth smiled a little at the thought of it.

"Oh? Do you find it amusing that I long for time to myself?" Edelgard said.

"A little" Byleth replied with a smile. Edelgard shook her head in disapproval "Anyhow, how are you adjusting?" Byleth asked.

Edelgard laughed slightly, "It has only been a day" she reminded "Although I will admit it is nice to be amongst our former classmates once again" she said "I just worry that Hubert does not share the same sentiment" she added.

Byleth nodded "That is expected, in all honesty" she said.

Edelgard sighed "I know, I just wish he wouldn't try to pick fights with the others" she said.

"Yeah, it might be for his own safety to refrain from that" Byleth said with a small laugh.

Edelgard smiled softly, "You know... I never thought I would ever get to be here with everyone again" she said "It's... A nice feeling" she added.

Byleth smiled back, it was sad to think that Edelgard had secluded herself from others for so long. Her destiny, that was her only objective and now that she no longer bears the weight of the crown, she doesn't have to bear that burden to such an extent.

"I'm glad you feel that way" Byleth said, "Would you like to come and train with me?" she asked.

Edelgard shook her head, "I'll pass at the moment" she said "I am still recovering from our fight" she added.

Byleth nodded, "Ah, right" she said and turned around "I'll see you later Edelgard" she called out then began heading to the training grounds.

Dimitri:

"I see, so she confirmed your Step- Mother's involvement in the Tragedy of Duscar" Gilbert murmured.

Dimitri nodded his head, his gaze locked onto the table "Yes... She did" he sighed.

Gilbert sighed heavily, "I just have a hard time believing that Lady Patricia would do something of this caliber Your Highness" he said.

"As much as I want to believe that as well, I cannot deny the evidence" Dimitri said.

Gilbert nodded his head slightly, "I suppose" he replied.

Dimitri sighed and got up from his seat, "I need to think" he said to Gilbert then left from the Cardinal's room.

The sun was beginning to set, a wasted day.

Dimitri wandered the monastery aimlessly till he wound up at the training grounds.

"Heh, give your old man a chance kiddo" a voice called out from within.

Dimitri stopped outside the door to the training grounds, that was Jeralt's voice which could only leave one person who he would speak to like that.

"We can't let your skill diminish," Byleth replied, and the sound of metal clashing filled the air.

Dimitri stepped into the training grounds, lingering by the entrance. He watched as Byleth and Jeralt sparred with one another.

"Is that right?" Jeralt replied to Byleth "How kind of you making sure your Father doesn't lose his ways" he added with a chuckle then thrashed at her with his lance.

"Hey!" Byleth called out as she stumbled back, "I'm fairly certain that wasn't fair" she said sternly.

Jeralt shook his head, "Since when do you care about a fair fight?" he laughed.

Byleth shrugged and practiced swinging her blade.

Dimitri must have stared for too long, soon Jeralt's gaze met his. "Dimitri?" Jeralt called out "Are you just going to stand there?" he asked.

Dimitri felt heat rise in his face, "Ah, my apologies Jeralt" he said "I didn't mean to intrude" he added.

Jeralt nodded and smiled, "Don't worry about it kid" he said "Was there something you needed?" he asked.

Dimitri shook his head, "No, I was just wandering aimlessly and wound up here" he said.

"I see," Jeralt said, "And here I thought you came to pay me a visit" he joked. Dimitri chuckled slightly, Jeralt was silent for a moment, "I've been meaning to tell you, I am glad that you have been doing well lately" he said.

Dimitri smiled, "Thank you, Jeralt I still have a long way to go" he said.

Jeralt nodded, "Yeah that is true, but I think for the time being you have come far" he said "Anyways, I'm beat" Jeralt said and turned to Byleth "My old bones can't fight like they used to" he laughed. "I'll see you later kiddo, you too Dimitri" Jeralt said then left from the training grounds.

Byleth shook her head, "For someone who claims to be getting too old he still manages to best me in combat" she sighed.

Dimitri smiled, "Perhaps he just wants a break from the fighting?" he suggested.

Byleth smiled softly, "Maybe so" she said.

Dimitri stood there silently for a moment, "Don't you wish to have a break from the fighting?" he asked.

Byleth sighed, "I don't have the right to" she said "It is my duty to see this war out" she added sadly.

Dimitri quirked his eyebrow at her, "Oh? Did Sothis herself give you that order?" he asked while shaking his head "Perhaps it isn't good to talk about a break from fighting now" he began "But once this war is over..." he trailed off.

Once this war is over...

Then what?

"Then you will be King and have just as much work as you do now" Byleth said "Not really much of a break if you ask me" she added.

"Ah, right I'd nearly forgotten" Dimitri said in a sheepish tone "Although, If that is the case I don't think it will be too much of a burden if I had yo-" he began but was cut off.

"No, Dimitri," Byleth said firmly, she didn't look at him, her gaze glued to the floor.

Right...

Dimitri should have known better.

"Byleth, I am so-" Dimitri began but Byleth quickly left from the training grounds.

Dimitri stood dumbfound for a moment, Glenn's mocking laughter was deafening.

No, not now.

Dimitri ran out after her, she couldn't have gotten too far.

"Byleth" Dimitri called out, he looked around and saw her nearby still with Felix.

As Dimitri grew closer, Felix looked up and met him with a curt nod. "Boar, the Knights of Seiros are at our doorstep" he said sternly "We need to go to the front-lines to protect the monastery".

Mercedes:

Emile.

Sweet Emile.

It came as a shock to Mercedes that her Brother had been released from his cell in the Abyss. Despite how much she cared for her brother it was impossible to deny that he was there for a reason. But nonetheless Mercedes was thrilled that he had been freed from his imprisonment.

A knock sounded on her door.

Ah! Emile is here.

Mercedes opened the door; it was in fact Emile. She had spent yesterday wearing him down until he agreed to have tea with her.

"Emile. I'm glad you can make it" Mercedes said and moved aside from the door to let him in.

Emile shook his head, "Mercedes, we have been summoned to protect the monastery" he replied.

For a moment Mercedes stood there in silence. Then it clicked, the Church of Seiros is here.

"They have already arrived?" Mercedes asked in shock.

Jeritza nodded, and turned around from Mercedes leaving her alone.

So much for tea...

Mercedes sighed and headed out to battle.

It was weird to her to go against the church like this.

But at the same time, it would be no better if they didn't fight them. Especially after finding out the archbishop is really a beast.

Did the goddess know?

How the church had soiled her name so.

Mercedes shook her head, now is not the time to think such blasphemous things.

Right now, ... She is needed.

Sylvain:

"Oh crap" Sylvain said softly.

He was one of the first people to reach the entrance of Garreg Mach, alongside Byleth, Dimitri, and Felix.

"I don't think Rhea is with them" Felix said as he was scanning the battlefield.

"How do they even have this many soldiers?" Sylvain asked in shock.

Dimitri frowned, "It is a lot" he said "But fret not, we still have the Imperial army to our advantage" he added.

"That you do" A voice called out from behind them. Sylvain turned to see Edelgard and Hubert. "Our enemy knows Garreg Mach inside and out. They can come and go as they please" Edelgard said.

"Heh, this battle looks to be rather cumbersome" Hubert murmured, "Garreg Mach is guarded, but there are undoubtedly numerous secret passages and magic traps" he said "There is much of this place that we do not know" he sighed.

Felix frowned, "So, what do we do then?" he asked.

Hubert shook his head, "There is nothing to do" he said "We must simply fight as we would and accept the fact that they will attack from a location that we cannot anticipate" he added.

That wasn't very reassuring.

"Regardless, we will not falter" Dimitri declared.

Sylvain saw Claude and Hilda walk up from behind Edelgard and Hubert. Both of them wielding their relics. "Well put Dimitri," Claude said.

"Do we know who is leading them?" Hilda asked.

Byleth shook her head, "No, not yet" she said "We won't know till we get out there" she added.

"Well, let's not deny the inevitable" Claude sighed "Let's go and fight them already" he sighed and gripped Failnaught.

Felix:

The battlefield was eerily silent and, in the distance, Felix saw what looked to be Pegasus flyers.

Dammit.

They were really close to reaching the gates to the monastery

"We should split and take different parts till we reach the commander" Byleth said quietly.

"Agreed" Claude said.

"Hubert and I will take the right," Edelgard said.

Felix heard footsteps approaching them; he raised his blade and turned to face them.

It was Ingrid, Mercedes, and Jeritza.

"We heard that the Church of Seiros is here" Ingrid said and gripped her Hero's Relic, "We are ready to fight" she added.

Byleth nodded, "Mercedes, you and Jeritza go right with Edelgard and Hubert".

"Of course," Mercedes said and took off in that direction, Jeritza stood there a moment then followed after her.

"Hilda and I will take the middle" Claude said "Ingrid and Sylvain, you two come with us.

Leaving Byleth, Dimitri, and himself to take the left side.

"We will take the left side" Dimitri said, "Come Byleth, Felix" he said "Let's not waste any time" he added.

Byleth nodded and led the way.

To Felix's surprise there were no enemies.

"Does this feel odd to you?" Felix said in a hushed tone to Byleth.

Byleth nodded her head and kept looking around them for any enemies.

Why weren't there any on this side?

"You're right, this doesn't feel right" Byleth said in a low voice.

Dimitri frowned, "Perhaps they haven't gotten this far into the monastery?" he suggested.

Byleth sighed, "Maybe, but regardless stay on alert" she said sternly.

Felix nodded.

They reached the grassy area.

"Did you hear that?" Dimitri called out and was looking around.

Felix stopped in his tracks, Byleth stopped momentarily then continued on into the thick grass.

"The time is now!" A voice shouted.

Ah, at last the enemies show themselves.

Some of them had been hiding in the thickets and others used the parts of buildings to shield themselves.

In other words, they had walked right into a trap.

"As long as we stand here, you shall not pass!" The voice shouted again.

Felix saw Byleth stop.

"Flayn" Byleth said calmly. Her grip on the Sword of the Creator tightened.

Flayn fell behind the other soldiers who came out of hiding and two swordsmen lunged at Byleth; she swiftly dodged one of their attacks and the other one she parried with her blade.

Felix quickly jumped into action and lashed at one of the swordsmen. In the distance he could see Pegasus fliers, "Boar, handle them" Felix shouted as he fought the church soldier.

Areadbhar soon flew through the air. Crashing into the wing of the Pegasus. Dimitri wasted no time in retrieving his weapon and taking down the enemy.

"Careful, there are mages" Byleth called out.

Felix knew the warning was more to the boar than to him since Dimitri didn't have that high of a magic tolerance.

Soon there were no more enemies. No that was a lie.

There was one left.

Felix stood back catching his breath as he watched Byleth approach Flayn.

The two of them stood across from each-other for a moment watching the other, Flayn was the first to speak.

"When I heard you were alive, Byleth, I was so happy. But now... Now this?" Flayn said sadly and shook her head, "How can it be that you fight on that side?" she asked, but Felix figured it was more of a rhetorical question.

"She told me to walk my own path" Byleth said, "Not the one that was laid out for me for... Whatever it is that I am" she said quietly "So, I will do just that Flayn" she concluded.

Flayn's eyes grew wide for a moment and her gaze fell to the floor, "I cannot take your life, for I owe you mine, even now" Flayn said, a sad expression fell over her face once again "And yet I cannot back away from this fight" she sighed and shook her head. Flayn looked up and met Byleth's gaze, a small smile graced her lips. "When this is over, my Brother and I will go into hiding. It is the only way" Flayn said then fired a spell at Byleth.

Byleth stood there taking the hit, she had a high tolerance for faith magic but still that spell seemed strong, Felix looked around the boar was watching as well.

Felix wondered if Byleth had told him not to approach Flayn.

Byleth still stood in the same spot, she was hesitating. The boar looked as if he were about to step in then finally, she attacked, she used her own spells, trying to weaken Flayn. Felix was certain of it.

Despite her being with Rhea, the woman who called for Byleth's head... She still refused to kill Flayn.

It's admirable in some aspects. But stupid in others, nonetheless Dimitri and Felix stand in the side lines watching her fight.

Byleth cast a Ragnarok spell, it engulfed around Flayn.

Once it wore off Flayn was hunched over slightly, panting with her eyes closed.

"Farewell, Byleth" Flayn said "I do not imagine we shall ever meet again" she added in a sad tone.

A purple light engulfed her, and Flayn was gone. As if she had never been there to begin with.

Byleth stood there for a moment longer.

Finally, she shook her head and sighed, "Come on, Seteth is here as well" Byleth said "We need to get to him before the others" she added then turned and continued onward.

Dimitri and Felix followed, neither said a word of what they had just witnessed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2K 317 66
Fire Emblem Three Houses AU Story: What if Sothis was with Byleth since their childhood days? "If only I could touch the stars." Born sick since da...
1K 139 15
In a city below us, a hidden fourth house resides. When you and her friends go searching for it and meet the underground world of Abyss, trouble spar...
957 15 35
A Fire Emblem Three Houses high school vampire AU. Byleth is used to her father's job causing them to move suddenly, and has to start her senior year...
39.8K 1.6K 110
Imperial year 1159 a nun of Garreg Mach monastery dies mysteriously during child birth leaving behind her beloved daughter Byleth. In a turn of event...