The Book of Sea and Shore

By May_Be_Not_Yet

On his way to ascend the throne, the High Prince is met with a jealous curse. As he fights for his rule, he m... More

The High Prince
The Coronation
A First Love
Here to Stay
Friendly Bonds
Bold Decision
Jealousy and Loss
Falderin the Frozen

Kylemore Wynn

7 1 1
By May_Be_Not_Yet

Chapter 3:

“I am very sorry for our tardiness, High Prince,” the King of Elsward said, clutching his deerskin hat over his heart.

“Actually, I'm the one who should be apologizing,” the girl with the blue-black hair cut in, bowing her head. “It was I who was in charge of the navigation when we went off-course.”

“Not at all,” Cilver amended. “I'm just sorry you didn't have time to rest before the celebration.”

The King scratched his bearded chin. “You are too kind. Allow me to introduce my daughter, The Princess of Elsward, Kylemore Wynn.”

The princess leaned in closer to grab the prince's arm in a firm shake. Her nose wrinkled as she whispered, “Please call me Kieta. My father desperately wanted a son.”

She parted with a smile.

“I'm sure you have other guests to attend to, your Highness,” the King said lightly, clasping a hand on his daughter's left shoulder. “If you'll excuse us, I think I smelled roasted pheasant over that way.”

Cilver smiled. “Of course. I hope to speak with you again, Lord. Princess.”

Kieta broke away from her father. “Actually, if it's not too much trouble, I would love to have you show me the magic tomes you have in the Great Keep.”

“Kylemore!”

With a chuckle, Cilver replied, “It's no trouble. Tomorrow morning, then?”

“Thank you so much!”

“I'll see you outside the dining hall,” he called as she was dragged away by the Elsward king.

She turned her head and gave a quick bob, disappearing into a crowd just as more people came the Prince's side to congratulate him. Shaking hands, bowing, and thanking the dozens that spoke to him for the next hour exhausted the man, sending him to the hide deeper into the village the first chance he got.

The nobles didn't go far into the residential area of the village and most of the village-folk themselves were near the stage, where the food and dancing were. He told himself he would just walk for a few minutes to clear his mind of discussions. What was supposed to be minutes turned into about twenty, as he found himself daydreaming again.

“Prince?” cut the voice of Linnea through the sounds of village tranquility.

Cilver jumped. “Ah, I'm sorry, Do you need something, Princess?”

Linnea shook her head. “Oh, no. I was just seeing if you had abandoned the festivities.”

Cilver ran a hand through his mess of curls. “Simply trying to catch my breath, is all. Are you enjoying yourself, Linnea?”

“Yes, thank you, though I believe it would be more enjoyable if the guest of honor were present.” She smiled, reaching out a hand. “I'm a bit faint from the excitement, myself.”

The prince stepped to her side and wove his arm to hook about hers.

“Then would you object to a casual stroll?”

“Of course not.”

Picking up the hem of her skirt with her free hand, Linnea followed Cilver's lead as they made their way into the rolling hills of the kingdom beyond the village homes. They could see the port from the tallest hill, everything around them dusted in color of Spring flowers. The ocean sparkled like glass, waves barely brushing the sand in white. Behind them, the noises of the celebration still rang and the river ran between the long grass.

“This kingdom really is beautiful,” Linnea sighed.

“I'm sure the mountains have their own beauty.”

A sad look crossed the woman's face. “I have yet to see it. I am not allowed to go beyond the palace gates. If I do, it is only to come here. What I see beyond my window is the blackness of the cliffs.”

“Pardon me, but that's awful.”

Linnea kept silent.

“When we are married,” Cilver continued, “you may go wherever you please. I can teach you to ride horses, if you'd like. The kingdom is quite large. Perhaps--”

“Yes!” Linnea beamed. Her grip on the prince's arm tightened, then suddenly she looked away. “I mean, if you would be willing to. If you are busy, I understand.”

Cilver laughed and brought up the woman's chin. “I would not have mentioned it if I didn't mean it. Tomorrow afternoon, then?”

Linnea clung tightly to the prince's arm. “Yes!”

Cilver grew warm beneath her touch and he walked on with her attached firmly to his side. Eventually they made it back to the center of town, avoiding any questions by stepping in for a dance.

The area in front of the stage was packed earth and many of the villagers and even nobility had already taken advantage of the room to dance. Wrapping an arm around Linnea's slim waist and cupping his left hand for her right, Cilver swung the princess around in such a manner that she giggled wildly. Soon, spectators had them surrounded and even those dancing kept their necks craned for the sight of the High Prince and the Princess of Penpotia. They glided over the smooth earth, steps perfectly in sync with each other; after all, what royal couple couldn't do that much?

Applause erupted when the song ended. Those in the small orchestra even placed their instruments down to clap enthusiastically. Cilver pulled back and bowed, holding out his hand to Linnea for a slower number. Though they were both short of breath, she graciously accepted, neither wanting to waste a moment in each others' company.

Cilver slept peacefully that night, heart filled with joy. When he woke he dressed in his usual attire, something he found much more comfortable than what he was forced to wear the day before. It was early enough that the servants had yet to bring fresh warm water to his chambers, so he didn't bother washing his face and went straight to the kitchens.

Before he reached the kitchens however, he spotted the Elsward princess with her nose buried in a book just outside the dining hall. When he approached, her head popped up and she smiled widely.

“The sun is not even up yet,” Cilver said, surprised. “Are you waiting for me?”

Kieta stood, booked tucked under her arm. “I didn't know what you considered morning.” She shrugged. “And I would have hated to be the second to arrive. What reputation would that give me if I made the High Prince wait?”

Cilver laughed. “Trust me, I would not mind waiting for such a lovely maiden.”

Kieta gave a small curtsy and a chuckle. “Now, Your Highness. Don't go falling for me when you have such a radiant fiancé strolling about. But I appreciate the compliment.”

The Prince blushed. “Ah, I did not mean to sound...” He trailed off, searching for the words.

“Words escape you often, do they not?” the woman teased.

She turned her back to him and strode to the dining hall.

Cilver took another speechless moment to himself and followed. He watched as she plucked a vibrant green apple from a silver bowl. She glanced over at him and tossed him one.

“You looked like you wanted one,” she explained when he caught it. “At least I assume that's why you were staring.”

Cilver smirked, tossing the apple up and down in one hand. He was taken aback by the sass of the woman as he had never experienced anyone who acted so casually towards him. However, it was entertaining and he had to admit he enjoyed the teasing.

“Nothing escapes your eye,” he chuckled.

She encompassed her right eye with her thumb and index finger. “Of course not. I have the Witch's Sight,” she answered, then dropped her hand. “Well, at least not yet. That's one of the reasons I want to see your tomes. I'm very interested in magic and the tomes kept here and a huge treasure to the magic community. If I could learn from then, I could truly be a great sorceress.”

She took a bite of her apple, licking juice from her lips before it could run down her chin.

Cilver's eyes widened. “You are interested in magic? I've only ever known one person to do that, and he was a tradesman who only visited when I was young to heal our sick. I didn't realize any women favored the arts.”

“Oh yes, my nursemaid often practiced. She was self-taught but she was quite good. My father was hesitant to my interests but eventually supported me. That's why he let me navigate here. I'm not very good with magic yet, so that's why we were late. My magic tools may have been a little out of date...”

“Shall we begin then? I would like to hear more.”

Kieta smiled and held her hand out for Cilver. “Please, my Prince.”

They ventured to the Great Keep, munching on their apples as they walked. Kieta went on about her studies and how she had only the skills she had acquired from the occasional magic scroll that had been brought her way by traders or huntsmen in Elsward. Her magic tools consisted of an enchanted compass and a pair of magnifying glasses, both of which she considered sub-par. She had caused some trouble with her magic in the past, including various explosions in her bed chambers, apparently leaving her walls a permanent charred black.

“There is one thing though,” she continued. “I do have a goal once I fully learn magic. I don't much care about being the best, but I do want to make a name for myself. I don't want to just be known as a princess or a queen when I'm older. I want to be the princess or queen who did something amazing. I want to create something incredible. Does that make sense?”

Cilver nodded. “I believe so. I haven't really thought of royalty wanting to be anything but, but there's always something more out there, I suppose.”

“Exactly!” the woman exclaimed. “And I want to be the one to find it!”

They arrived at the Keep where two guards were walking past for their morning rounds. They bowed deeply to the prince and princess and wished them a pleasant day. One pushed open the heavy stone door and the other offered to escort the them with a lantern.

Cilver declined and thanked them, grabbing the lantern for himself to light their way though the dim chambers.

“You have so few guards,” Kieta pointed out. “I'm sure there are documents in here worth protecting a little more than that.”

Cilver laughed. “You forget, Princess, that no one who couldn't be trusted would not be permitted in the kingdom. There is no need to overwork the guard staff.”

Kieta played with her lip. “I suppose it is different than Elsward. We have little control in who enters our kingdom. There are always bandits coming in and out, so our guard in kept on high alert at all times.”

“My, that's troublesome. Perhaps when I am High King, I can assist with that.”

The halls become lighter as they neared the heart of the Great Keep. Cilver turned out the flame of the lantern and hung it on one of the many racks of the stone walls. Soon, the hall widened into a vast room. Hundreds of windows slats surrounded the room, each with a different shade and hue of glass, casting dancing colors on the walls and floor. The Great Keep was lined with bookcases carved right into the stone, covering every inch of wall that didn't have a window. Staircases led up the wall as the room was several stories high. A great round table sat in the center of the room with twenty of so intricately carved chairs. There were several melted candles on the table, each a pearly white.

Cilver let go of Kieta and looked around. He saw her expression of amazement and grinned, pleased.

“I'm not exactly sure where our magic tomes are,” he said, “though I believe they would be further up, since no one has used them lately.”

Kieta beamed and pointed a finger. “Then I'll start over there and you start over there,” she said. “If you find a spellbook or even a history of magic theory, call me over.”

The search didn't take long once Kieta tried to use her compass.

“It's a special compass,” she had explained. “It helps me find things that are lost. Of course, that's probably why it wasn't much help in arriving here.”

Since neither knew where the magic tomes were, the compass's magic interpreted them as “lost” and the needle swung around after a muttered spell. Keita climbed up two flights of stairs until the needle rested and the spine of a book grabbed her attention.

“Prince Theophillus!” she called, pulling out the book with an undignified grunt. “I found them!”

She sat on the walkway, skirt flared out and the enormous book opened on her lap. She traced a finger over the words as she read aloud:

“By the Grand Wizard of Adrastea, Persep V. A complete collection of works gathered throughout the Adrastean kingdoms.”

Cilver caught up a moment later, kneeling down beside her to read.

“By the Beasts!” Kieta gasped. “I believe this was Persep's very own book! Look, here. Do you see these markings?” She flipped through some of the pages. “Some of the edges are even burned and there are spells scratched out and reassembled! This is his original text!”

The woman's blue eyes shone and she brought her nose closer to the pages. Cilver breathed a light chuckle, happy to see she was enjoying herself. He stood and gathered several other books that had surrounded Persep's tome setting them down beside Kieta.

“This is really amazing,” she said, inspected each book before her and the loose papers that came out of their pages. “You really do have everything in this keep...”

Cilver rubbed the back of his neck.

“I've never ventured beyond the history texts,” he admitted.

Kieta gazed at his with shining eyes. Gingerly, she reached out with a hand and grabbed his, shifting so that she was facing him directly.

“My High Prince...”

“You do not have to use such formalities with me like this, Princess,” Cilver said, ears growing hot. “We are friends now, are we not?”

“Theophillus, then.”

“Cilver,” the man corrected. “Honestly, I do quite detest the name Theophillus. You may call me Cilver.”

Kieta smiled.

“Cilver, I know this request is selfish and I should not wish for such but... and I know the very thought of removing these tomes from the palace is a dreadful and foolish notion... I could not possibly take them back to Elsward...”

“Then study them here if you wish.”

Keita's breath caught in her throat as she stammered, “I don't... I don't understand.”

“It is just my opinion that if you truly wish to follow your dream and the only obstacle is the fact that these tomes reside here, you should stay here with them. As a temporary measure, of course. And only if you wish it.”

Without warning, Keita's arms wrapped around Cilver's neck in a tight embrace, nearly sending them both toppling. They both laughed, the princess completely overjoyed.

“Would you ask my father? Oh, and I promise that I will of use to you. I will indeed work for my stay. I'll even work out in the village farms, if you need me to! I could sleep in the stalls or catch my own food or, oh! I promise I won't be in the way, Cilver, I promise!”

Cilver sat up, face flush with laughter.

“I wouldn't dream of having a princess living with the horses and sheep. If you are as destructive with magic as you say, there is a tower that has been used for nothing but storing dust. I will discuss this with your father and my own. I think this will be good for the both of us. My fiancé is also expecting to stay in the capital until the wedding preparations, so perhaps you can keep her company during her stay.”

Kieta nodded, elated.

“And once the tower is cleaned out, I'll have the tomes of your choice sent up by some of the servants.”

“I can not thank you enough, Cilver. You will not regret this.”

Cilver grinned, flipping through the pages and pages at his feet and helping Kieta chose just what she wanted.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

580 32 9
A prophecy has been spoken. The God of the Sky will come and with him, he will bring death. Talon Connor, a ship captain with an unusual upbringing...
36 5 10
One fire wil change her life, bringing her grief, an unknown curse, and her dreamt-of one true love.
79 18 11
A magic book from a world yet unknown to them, sends OG and Ser into a completely different universe. They hate each other, despite not knowing one a...
226 17 8
Princess Cassandra, heir to the Soldre throne, is tired of being disregarded as anything more than an excessory to the royal family, and becomes a st...