The Sober Psychos

By emotheos

A pair of eccentric blue eyes. White shirt soaked with fresh blood. That's all it took for Seth Zashton to... More

𝗣𝗿𝗲𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟭 | The Asylum
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟮 | The Palace
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟯 | Transparent Illusions
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟰 | Plan-E
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟱 | Under The Streetlights
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟲 | Mother Marijuana
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟳 | Comical Catastrophe
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟴 | The Cursed Connection
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟵 | Real Virtuality
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟭𝟬 | Solitary

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟭𝟭 | Safe Home

79 29 325
By emotheos

Seth

Ápeiron?

"Let me think, please."

I plopped down onto the cold floor and buried my head between my legs.

Ápeiron-

"FÛCKING LET ME THINK."

"Thinking is dangerous, lord Ápeiron."

I almost giggled at his words. Blood dripped off my mouth as I tried to speak again, with much effort this time.

"Worship me."

He sneered and made another ghastly cut on my back. Even the reflection screamed pain. As I looked into the mirror, the image of my bare back grimaced back at me.

"You worship me," He chided.

"And yet you are the one calling me lord," I pointed out. My whole body ached at this point. My mind begged me to stop. Stop pushing myself for once. But my pride got the best of me as the fear of losing to my own demon took over my consciousness.

"I respect the rituals my lord, very much unlike you."

My lips curled into another smirk as he boldly stated that.

"I'm too wise to bow before the shrine of meaningless rituals."

He growled and whipped me again. I rolled on my back on the floor and howled in pain. The mirror infront of me showed a disastrous image of myself and the shadow hovering above me. My blue eyes looked unearthly as its reflection pierced through the mirror.

"I- I command you to stop."

"Scared?"

The sarcastic undertone got into my nerves as I hissed out calmly through my gritted teeth,

"Talking about yourself?"

One moment I was sprawled across the floor, the other moment I was hovering midair.

He materialized out of thin air as his soulless black eyes paralyzed my senses.

"Do let me down."

"She wouldn't want you to fail."

"She's gone," I reasoned, my voice as indifferent as ever, perfectly holding back the reins of the storm that brewed in my mind at the mentioning of her.

"She sees you," he spoke softly right against my ears.

"Sure. Now put me down."

"No, you arrogant bastard. First you answer my question," he demanded and shook me.

"What question?"

"Scared?" He asked.

I sighed. Scared was only a part of the whole package. Exhaustion. Pain. Instability. Fear. Anguish. Anger. Regret. An unquenchable desire for revenge.

"Tired." I admitted.

The incarnation of Ápeiron, that is to say, myself casually dropped me as if I'm the owner of a creepy shadowy structure like him and I could totally fly like the tooth fairy in the air. Nope.

I fell face first onto the floor. My nose didn't show much kindness either as blood immediately started to pour out.

"Why, thank you!" I looked up at him and smiled heartily.

"My pleasure, lord Ápeiron. Now, if you could kindly draft a plan to bring Asevís down. His marionétes are increasing threateningly with each passing day."

"Is it my fault that people fancies worshipping satan so much?"

As soon as I said that, I felt a huge existence weighing me down. I gasped at the sudden loss of air in my lungs.

"How dare you disrespect the one while being bound to him? You owe him."

The one. Satan. The way he said the one made me flinch and shiver at the same time.

I felt the sudden rise of anxiety and fear weighing me down.

I was sweating like crazy.

You need to kneel down before me if you want to avenge her demise.

Worship me.

You're weak.

Vulnerable.

Mortal.

"Oh there are two tiny things that you should know about me, my dearest worshipper."

He growled in rage and advanced to attack me again but I was quick as I rolled away from being under him to standing right infront of him.

"First of all, my name is Seth and secondly, being mortal ain't half bad to being a chained immortal."

I locked the thumb and little finger of my left hand together and entwined the ring finger with the pointer, keeping the middle finger behind.

He attempted to stop me but I was fast as I muttered,

To the lord of chaos and beauty,
I beg for divinity.
Perish those who tear apart thy serenity.

He almost reached out to me when I made three circles with my arranged fingers and enclosed it with a form of a sword in the middle.

And then my room was empty, just like that. I sighed in relief and plopped down, leaning against the dresser.

Exhaustion overwhelmed me. Both physically and mentally. But what bothered me the most was how easily he could manipulate me. I sighed for the thousandth time before curling up, wrapping my arms around my leg and lying down on the floor.

I wasn't scared because I might die in the end, after all of it comes to an end once and for all. I was scared because the people who're trying to protect me might die and the thought was frightful enough to make me shiver outwardly.

I was almost dozing off when I heard Zephyr's muffled voice calling my name.

I peeked through my half closed eyes, the dim light sent a burning sensation and I closed my eyes immediately.

"Seth."

Zephyr usually never called me by my real name anymore. According to him, the Seth he used to know, the jovial friend he used to play basketball with died a long time ago only to be replaced by a narcissistic, arrogant, egotistic demon.

"Yes?" I managed to speak, the raw cuts all over my face stung as soon as the skin of my face stretched.

"Dinner has been served and whoa, you alright?"

Judging from his question and voice, he was standing right above me. The softness in his voice sounded so old and distant.

No, Zeph. I'm not. It hurts- it really, really hurts. It's all in my mind but it's more real than your reality. I'm bleeding. In my mind. I'm sorry. I messed up. It's all my fault.

"I'm fine," I lied, these two words had become so familiar to me now that even lying felt like speaking the truth.

I licked my lips. It tasted like blood- cold and sour. But I wasn't bleeding. I lifted my right hand weekly only to examine my lips and it felt as normal as ever. Why wouldn't it?

It felt like burning lava was running through my veins instead of blood. My every last neurons cells screamed in excruciating pain. The extremity of my pain reached to a peak where everything just felt numb.

"Here, grab my hand. You've been drinking again? The fiasco last time hadn't taught you a lesson?"

I never drank in my entire life. Not
once.

I cautiously grabbed the hand he offered me and pulled myself up off the floor, blinking repeatedly to adjust to the light.

"Yes, yes I know, I'm sorry. I couldn't control myself."

Zephyr let go of my hand as soon as I stood on my feet.

"Do keep your excuses to yourself, Seth. Now come along. We got a lot to discuss."

I quickly shrugged out the distressed look off my face and plastered my usual, signature impish grin.

"And so shall I."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Amy! Look, you're famous- " Erovi said, slamming a newspaper on the granite table infront of a very clueless Amethyst.

I followed his fingers and noticed the particular article that read in bold letters:

Missing: Amethyst Maeve
Age: 18. Height: 5'6". Weight: 119 lbs
Last seen wearing a pink wedding gown.
If found please contact: 567 8900 574

A smiling picture of Amethyst in a red dress claimed its rightful place under the headline.

Amethyst's mouth transfixed into a permanent "O" while Erovi tapped onto something else and joked,

"Oh god guys look at the prize money- $100,000. This is crazy! We could be rich!!"

Zephyr clicked his tongue and referred to me,

"Ápeiron my man, you seriously got the balls to snatch the bride off her wedding."

"It wasn't her wedding day," I pointed out and looked at Amethyst who still hadn't spoken a word.

"Hey. Amy? I was just kid- " Erovi most likely would've said kidding but he was cut off by a very seething Amethyst who yelled,

"IF FOUND PLEASE RETURN TO- WHAT AM I? A FUCKING OBJECT?"

"Yeah well I personally would've gone way past $100,000. I mean, jesus christ, it's your daughter for heaven's sake."

Zephyr's little comment didn't seem to cheer her up.

"Erm who cares about them anyway? You're with us now, eh?" Erovi tried to comfort her.

Amethyst grabbed that particular portion of the newspaper and tore it down to bits.

"Yeah girl, get your anger out on a piece of paper. So thoughtful of you," Zephyr said unenthusiasticlly while sipping his coffee.

Erovi scowled at him and I cleared my throat.

"Seriously." He scoffed, "Do you two take turns in annoying her?"

"It's alright Erovi, it's not their fault mother nature decided to design assholes all of a sudden."

Erovi made a sound between a cough and a laugh.

"In case Dr. Amethyst, PhD on natural science here is unaware- we got business to discuss."

Amethyst glared at Zephyr.

"First off, I am unaware of everything, thanks to your bestie here, Seth- "

I raised my hand to highlight my existence and mouthed, "you're welcome."

Zephyr frowned.

"Haha bestie. Sure. If the word bestie stood for I can't stand your existence, please go rot in hell, that is."

"The feeling is mutual, my brother." I winked at Zephyr.

"CAN YOU PEOPLE PLEASE STOP ACTING LIKE A BUNCH OF WHINY KINDERGARTENERS FOR ONCE AND DISCUSS HOW TO KEEP OURSELVES ALIVE?"

A momentary silence befell our little table. Amethyst and Zephyr looked just as shocked as I was. Maybe they'd never even envisioned Erovi snapping this hard. Neither had I, to be honest.

Damn.

Erovi didn't seem to fazed by our unearthly obedient reaction.

"Good." he breathed, "What's the plan, Seth? You asked for a week. It's been a week and 4 more days and you are still fooling around doing nothing."

Fooling around doing nothing.

Sure.

"One blood Moon has passed. Now we have to wait for the wolves' night to get a complete blackout- " Zephyr pointed out, eyeing Amethyst.

Amethyst made a time out gesture with her hands.

"Whoa wait- I've heard of blood Moon but what the hell is a wolves' night?"

"It's a different kind of night," I explained plenty.

Amethyst rolled her eyes.

"Well no shit, Sherlock but what exactly is that and why haven't I heard of it before."

"Well, you didn't exactly grow up with a bunch of cannibalistic black magicians, kid."

"Oh wow. I'm grateful," Amethyst replied. She wasn't even dazed at my nonchalant response.

Zephyr and Erovi exchanged known glances and I dug into my tuna casserole.

"So what about it? What about the wolves' night?" Amethyst stared expectantly at Zephyr, pulling the string of his sentence.

"Hey precious stone, do you believe in werewolves?" Zephyr asked irrelevantly.

Precious stone.

Amethyst looked a bit taken aback by his way of asking that question but she shook her head nonetheles.

"Nope. They aren't real."

Zephyr chuckled smugly.

"Oh you're so innocent I wish we could let you remain this ignorant for the rest of your life but see, you're an essential, if not, the most essential part of our little rebellion."

"I'm honored and for your information, the precious stone would be Amethyst." Amethyst said while stirring her sorbet.

"Whichever, Ruby."

Zephyr suddenly seemed to have developed a sudden interest towards precious stones.

"What's up Seth, you seem a bit off today," Erovi's voice was laced with genuine concern.

"What can I say lady and gentlemen, my brain needs to take a little break from processing smartness twenty four hours."

"Sure." Erovi's concern vaporized into thin air as he took a bite of his sandwich.

"Oh I almost forgot to mention; I had this weird nightmare last night- "

I froze. Literally froze. The spoon that was coming into my mouth stopped midway through.

Zephyr and Erovi both looked at Amethyst eagerly.

"Yes?" Zephyr pressed.

"There was this boy, I've never seen him before- " Amethyst persisted as I felt every last cell of my body freezing, "soaked in blood and crying over a- "

"NIGHTMARES AREN'T REAL," I almost screamed.

Judging from the number of heads in the dining room turning all at once in our direction, I didn't almost scream. I screamed.

"I- you okay?" Amethyst asked abruptly.

"Nightmares aren't real- " I repeated, practically sweating now.

"Seth?"

I turned around to face the owner of the voice.

Tracy.

"What's wrong?" She eyed the individuals of our table cautiously before turning back at me.

The others started chattering in low voices and basically an awkward, tense silence overtook the room. It wouldn't have had this effect on the rest of the people if it were anyone else. Anyone but me. But unfortunately, it was the infamous Seth making a scene so naturally the paparazzi wouldn't let it be.

"Why I'm okay!" I laughed to clear up the air but it didn't seem to help.

Thankfully Erovi changed the topic.

"Alright people we keep getting off the track everytime. No side topics. Let's discuss business now."

Tracy was still standing there so I offered her the seat beside me and she happily obliged.

"There isn't much to discuss. Everyone already knows their role. We only have one thing to discuss about: When."

"They're heading back," Tracy chimed in.

"We know that. You're so backdated, Jeez," Zephyr replied.

Tracy ignored him and continued,

"But they've left behind some of their people this time which is very unusual of Asevís."

"Maybe they're planning on a surprise attack," Erovi muttered.

"Asevís will not start until we are separated. The incantation will not work without the blood of the descendant and the exchange will remain unfinished and the chain might also break."

Amethyst spoke that out in a breath.

The series of reaction that came from the people sitting around the table afterwards could be the part of a notable human expression evolution in the history of biology.

Zephyr choked on his coffee. Erovi's half eaten sandwich fell out of his hands. Tracy's mouth hung open and the chewing gum she'd been chewing fell right onto the floor.

Amethyst herself was astonished beyond measure.

"I swear to God I don't know what I just said. I have abso-fûcking-lutely no idea about anything I just said."

"So you won't claim the copyright?" I asked, my voice calm and relaxed- happy even. Very unlike the others.

"I- " Amethyst locked eyes with me.

"Am full? Because girl, you got a wow-worthy appetite."

All heads turned to me.

"She knows?" Zephyr managed to speak. Yay.

"No- "

"She does." I cut off Amethyst, "Only she doesn't know that she knows," I added helpfully.

"Okay so rewind to the part where she said something about err- something. What is that thing?" Tracy blinked.

"Asevís." Erovi said absentmindedly, still looking a bit disoriented. As if that word spoke thousands of sentences. Which it did.

"I'll make sure to send that son of a venomous cunt to the deepest pit if I am ever to face him." Zephyr growled and punched the side of the table which only made his knuckles sore and the plates and glasses vibrate.

"So we just sit?"

I turned to face Tracy.

"No, we plunge into world war three."

"Be serious."

"I am serious, Trace!"

I wasn't.

Tracy narrowed her eyes at me.

"They're expecting us to make the first move. This place, our humble abode is shielded with powerful incantations so they'd be obstructed if they attack us here straight away. Asevís ain't that stupid. As soon as we step out, we'd be surrounded and outnumbered. In every tricky way possible."

"Well," Erovi joined, "How would they track us?"

I rolled my eyes at him.

"Seriously Erovi. You're asking this?"

The answer seemed to suddenly dawn upon him as he mouthed oh, a bit unnerved and sank back into his thoughts.

"Only Rayn could create a membrane that strong. Strong enough to keep Seth off their mind. And thanks to Seth, he's been missing for months." Zephyr shot a look of disdain at me.

"It wasn't my plan to choose an asylum as a safe home for me. You made him do that and ever since then he's been missing. It's got nothing to do with me," I clarified.

Zephyr shrugged because even he knew that I was right.

"You needed some mental support, brother and there's no alternative of a mental asylum on getting mental support," Erovi teased sincerely.

"Oh yes, I had gone through heaven for the past two years and if it wasn't for my quick decision, I'd still be in that hellhole."

"Yeah well our plan covered three years. Who would've guessed you'd escape your safe home."

I raised my eyes at Zephyr and suddenly an idea made it's way in my brain.

"Zeph? You're a genius." My excitement was clear in my voice.

"Gee, thanks."

"No you numbskull, really. Rayn the great created that membrane to last three years, no? And it's only the ending of the second year."

Zephyr and Erovi jumped out of their seats almost at the same time. Seriously these guys' twin reactions to everything sometimes baffled even me.

Erovi's eyes sparkled and Zephyr apparently looked very proud of his own comment for the first time ever.

"So it means that they can never track us down if we're in that zone." Erovi spoke so fast that I had to repeat his sentence in my mind to put the words in correct order.

"Not the tiniest bit of our soul, no," I agreed.

"Our safe home, only safe home outside this place."

I looked at both of them gratefully. The way they were saying our safe home made them a part of my miserable fate. In reality, the whole world is their safe home. I'm the one with all the problems. I'm the one unsafe outside the bubbles of membranes protected and shielded with powerful incantations to keep me from being hunted down by the little army of Asevís. They're ordinary humans whereas I'm the odd man out, the only trouble.

And yet here they are, as excited as I am to discover a safe place outside this place as if it wasn't only concerning me. As if they were a part of it and they couldn't walk away anytime they wanted to. Especially Erovi.

Why do I have such an amazing team?

"Umm- " Tracy cleared her throat and said, "I feel like we're in the eighteenth century and the ladies aren't allowed to speak but congrats guys."

I chuckled and patted her shoulders.

"Well? Present your opinion."

"I don't really have much to say," she admitted.

I looked at Amethyst with the corner of my eyes who had suddenly gone mute. She didn't even seem to be paying attention in our conversation as she sank in her chair, arms crossed.

"Plus it's not even far off. We could work from there, keeping this place free from threat," Erovi decided.

Zephyr nodded in approval.

"Don't you have anything to say, Sapphire?" Zephyr threw the question at a very unprepared Amethyst who just shot an annoyed look at him.

"Very well. It's settled then."

"That's only a teeny tiny bit of our massive problem, Erovi." Zephyr scowled.

"Yeah but atleast we know what to do next- "

"So I'm going back to my homeland hellhole, huh? Pity if they catch me wandering around their territory from where I escaped and take me back in cordially," I grumbled.

"Ah well you can cover that part."

"Erovi- " I said, fixing my eyes on him, "I don't like to invade people's personal space just because I can. Everytime I mess up, I can't just snap my mind, change their reality as if it doesn't matter at all. Oh hey, it never happened like that so lemme just alter your reality cause I totally have the right to."

Erovi raised his hands in submission.

"Alright alright whatever you're comfortable with but seriously, you can't get caught."

"Should've considered the pros and cons before putting me there in the first place. But yeah, don't worry, I won't get caught."

"Atta boy."

I grinned at Erovi.

"Now what?" Tracy asked listlessly.

"Now we sleep." I rubbed my chin and declared.

"Yes. As if we got nothing else to worry about."

"You worry to much."

Zephyr snorted and scowled at me one last time before standing up and stretching.

"After all of this is finally over, I'll go to Disneyland."

Erovi laughed and Tracy gasped dramatically.

"Didn't know someone like you would have the hots for Disneyland." Amethyst finally opened her mouth.

"And what exactly do you mean by someone like me?"

"I meant what I meant."

Zephyr said something in response and a very agitated Amethyst yelled some impolite words at him while Tracy and Erovi took on the role of silent spectators.

I didn't hear a word afterwards because my mind was flooding with blur and haze and all I could think of was how I could never embrace normalcy and maybe even join Zephyr in his Disneyland adventure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why'd you freak out?"

I'd been dreading this question since Erovi and Zephyr went to their own rooms leaving only me and Amethyst. We walked through the long connected corridors alone to reach our rooms at the end of the third corridor.

"What? When? How?" I blinked obliviously.

Amethyst shot me the look which read: I'm not in the mood right now.

"Oh..." I muttered, "The nightmare thing."

"So we're on the same page."

"Seems like it." I sighed.

"You knew?"

"I know," I corrected her.

"What was that about?"

"Amethyst- " I stopped in my tracks and looked at her.

"Yes?" Amethyst did the same and eyed me curiously.

"Some things are better off left unspoken."

"Was that you? The guy in my nightmare?"

I nodded meekly.

"W-what happened?" Amethyst stuttered at this point because most likely she'd witnessed the whole scene in her nightmare.

Stupid nightmares.

After a long moment of silence I finally answered her question,

"Life happened, Amethyst. Life happened."

_________________________________
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

Whassup chipmunks, where's my award for the least confusing writer in Wattpad city? ☻

‏‏‎ ‎

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 147 16
**WARNING** ~contains explicit content that may not be acceptable to all viewers. discretion advised~ "No no no no..." My words trailed "NO!!" I scre...
2.2K 518 34
Highest rank so far : 58 in Sorcery ; 195 in Mythology ; 249 in Paranormal # The Global Awards 2018 (Winner - Best Of Award) # World Of Champions A...
2.5K 340 18
Set in 2023 on a parallel universe, fifteen patients in a drug experiment research facility have no choice but to fight against a mutated version of...
2.7K 243 33
**3RD PLACE WINNER OF THE 2017 CRAYON AWARDS** Third place winner of the 2017 Lilac Awards From the beginning, I knew what I was in for. I knew t...