sky blue ● jason grace

Od -grace2000-

Her voice was small, "that's a little terrifying, isn't it?" In which, they didn't even stand a chance. jason... Více

intro
of
mine,
let
me
not
die
without
knowing
the
elegance
of
your
mind
whether
i
jump
or
plunge
without
any
warning
at
all,
let
me
fall
BOOK 3

lover

8.4K 260 97
Od -grace2000-

To say Jason was nervous was one of the biggest understatements of the century.

He stood at the bow on the raised crossbow platform, where the Romans could easily spot him. Hopefully he looked calm for someone who was making themselves a target- Romans didn't think too highly of fear. Jason tightened his grip on his sword; his knuckles were white, yeah, no fear here.

His friends were all in various positions of excitement themselves. Piper paced back and forth between the mainmast and the ballistae, practicing her lines. "Lower your weapons," she murmured. "We just want to talk."

Her charmspeak was so powerful, the words flowed over Jason, filling him with the desire to drop his gladius and have a nice long chat.

Leo, on the other hand, was in maniac mode. On the stern quarterdeck, he rushed around like a madman, checking his gauges and wrestling levers. Most helmsman would've been satisfied with a pilot's wheel or a tiller. Leo had also installed a keyboard, monitor, aviation controls from a Learjet, a dubstep soundboard, and motion-control sensors from a Nintendo Wii. He could turn the ship by pulling on the throttle, fire weapons by sampling an album, or raise sails by shaking his Wii controllers really fast. Even by demigod standards, Leo was seriously ADHD.

Most importantly, their war crazed chaperon, Coach Hedge, was below deck, watching reruns of mixed martial arts championships. Jason got stressed just thinking about it- the last thing they needed as they magical Greek trireme into a potentially hostile Roman camp was a middle-aged satyr in gym clothes waving a club and yelling "Die!"

And then there was Annabeth, the person who, with the exception of Jason, had the most to lose from this meeting. For the last hour, she had been pacing the deck of the Argo II, checking and double-checking the plan (and the backup plan, and the backup plan for the backup plan).

He understood why. Her boyfriend, Percy Jackson, had been missing for the last eight months as a part of Hera's 'exchange program', in which the goddess had plucked both Jason and Percy from their homes and swapped them. Because of this, Annabeth and Jason didn't exactly have the best relationship, she didn't trust him, and Jason felt exactly the same way about the daughter of Athena.

However, that wasn't why Jason was nervous. No, Jason was seconds away from leaping into the forum because at the forefront of the crowd of Romans gathering in the forum, would be Daria Jackson.

Over the last eight months, he hadn't allowed himself to think about her. This was for two reasons: 1. His memory wasn't all the way back, there were blank spots that got too frustrating to fill in after hours of trying to remember, and 2. There was the very small possibility that Daria had moved on.     

The logical part of him knew he was being ridiculous. Even if they weren't dating, Daria had been his best friend for ages, there was no way she would just...forget about him.

But what if she did?

No, he told the voice in his head petulantly. She's not allowed to do that.

Piper joined him at the bow, probably because you could read his mood from Jakarta. "You know, I sincerely hope that after today, you'll quit moping around like you've got My Chemical Romance on shuffle."

"Who?"

"Right," Piper snorted. "I forgot you've been living under a rock your entire life."

Jason gestured to the Oakland hills, "does this look like a rock to you?"

Piper tsked. "Seriously, Jason. It'll be okay, if Daria loves you even half the amount that you're infatuated with her, then she's yours."

"Piper," he whined. "You don't understand, that's the problem. A lot of people love Daria."

"Well then you can take me up on the offer I made eight months ago," she joked.

"Funny," he said grimly.

"Christ!" Piper threw up her hands, looking at Annabeth who seemed to be in a similar mindset as Jason. "Remind me never to fall in love."

"Amen," Leo shouted back.

"This is not helping," Annbeth grumbled. "This is-"

Then something behind Jason went BOOM!

The explosion almost knocked Annabeth overboard. They whirled and found themselves eye to eye with an angry statue.

"Unacceptable!" he shrieked.

Oh boy.

"I will not have weapons inside the Pomerian Line!" he announced in a fussy teacher voice. "I certainly will not have Greeks!"

Jason sighed, he supposed it was up to him to take care of the situation. "Terminus," he said. "It's me. Jason Grace."

"Oh, I remember you, Jason!" Terminus grumbled. "I thought you had better sense than to consort with the enemies of Rome!"

"But they're not enemies — "    

"That's right," Piper jumped in. "We just want to talk. If we could — "

"Ha!" snapped the statue. "Don't try that charm speak on me, young lady. And put down that dagger before I slap it out of your hands!"

Piper glanced at her bronze dagger, which she'd apparently forgotten she was holding.

"Um....okay. But how would you slap it? You don't have any arms."

"Impertinence!" There was a sharp POP and a flash of yellow. Piper yelped and dropped the dagger, which was now smoking and sparking.

"Lucky for you I've just been through a battle," Terminus announced. "If I were at full strength, I
would've blasted this flying monstrosity out of the sky already!"

"Hold up." Leo stepped forward, wagging his Wii controller. "Did you just call my ship a monstrosity? I know you didn't do that."

Apparently, the idea that Leo might attack the statue with his gaming device was enough to snap Annabeth out of her shock.

"Let's all calm down." She raised her hands to show she had no weapons. "I take it you're

Terminus, the god of boundaries. Jason told me you protect the city of New Rome, right? I'm Annabeth Chase, daughter of — "

"Oh, I know who you are!" The statue glared at her with its blank white eyes. "A child of Athena, Minerva's Greek form. Scandalous! You Greeks have no sense of decency. We Romans know the proper place for that goddess."

Annabeth clenched her jaw. This statue wasn't making it easy to be diplomatic. "What exactly do
you mean, that goddess? And what's so scandalous about — "

"Right!" Jason interrupted. "Anyway, Terminus, we're here on a mission of peace. We'd love
permission to land so we can — "

"Impossible!" the god squeaked. "Lay down your weapons and surrender! Leave my city immediately!"

"Which is it?" Leo asked. "Surrender, or leave?"

"Both!" Terminus said. "Surrender, then leave. I am slapping your face for asking such a stupid question, you ridiculous boy! Do you feel that?"

"Wow." Leo studied Terminus with professional interest. "You're wound up pretty tight. You got any gears in there that need loosening? I could take a look." He exchanged the Wii controller for a screwdriver from his magic tool belt and tapped the statue's pedestal.

"Stop that!" Terminus insisted. Another small explosion made Leo drop his screwdriver.

"Weapons are not allowed on Roman soil inside the Pomerian Line."

"The what?" Piper asked.

"City limits," Jason translated impatiently.

"And this entire ship is a weapon!" Terminus said. "You cannot land!"

Down in the valley, the legion reinforcements were halfway to the city. The crowd in the forum was over a hundred strong now. Jason scanned the faces and saw the guy who must be Percy Jackson.

He wore a purple cape just like Jason's — the mark of a praetor.

    Close by were two girls standing side by side. One, also wearing a purple cape was clearly Reyna. The other, a girl with shoulder-length black hair who was drumming her thigh was...

    "Daria." Jason murmured, staring straight at her. His mouth got dry, and as much as he knew he should do something about Terminus, he couldn't look away.

"Leo, stop the ship," Annabeth ordered.

"What?"

"You heard me. Keep us right where we are."

Leo pulled out his controller and yanked it upward. All ninety oars froze in place. The ship stopped sinking.

"Terminus," Annabeth said, "there's no rule against hovering over New Rome, is there?"

The statue frowned. "Well, no..."

"We can keep the ship aloft," Annabeth said. "We'll use a rope ladder to reach the forum. That way, the ship won't be on Roman soil. Not technically."

"I like technicalities," he admitted. "Still..."

"All our weapons will stay aboard the ship," Annabeth promised. "I assume the Romans — even those reinforcements marching toward us — will also have to honor your rules inside the Pomerian Line if you tell them to?"

"Of course!" Terminus said. "Do I look like I tolerate rule breakers?"

"Uh, Annabeth. . ." Leo said. "You sure this is a good idea?"

"It'll be fine," Jason said, he concentrated to keep his legs from shaking. "No one will be armed. We can talk in peace. Terminus will make sure each side obeys the rules." He looked at the marble statue. "Do we have an agreement?"

Terminus sniffed. "I suppose. For now. You may climb down your ladder to New Rome, Jason Grace. Please try not to destroy my town."

    A sea of hastily assembled demigods parted for Jason and Annabeth as they walked through the forum. Some looked tense, some nervous. Some were bandaged from their recent battle with the giants, but no one was armed. No one attacked.

Entire families had gathered to see the newcomers. Jason saw couples with babies, toddlers clinging to their parents' legs, even some elderly folks in a combination of Roman robes and modern clothes. It was so familiar yet so different from where he had been for the last eight months.

But what really brought Jason back home were the smells from the bakeries, the gurgling fountains, the flowers blooming in the gardens. And the architecture — gilded marble columns, dazzling mosaics, monumental arches, and terraced villas. This is where he had grown up, where they had raised him praetor, where he had had his first kiss.

In front of them, the demigods made way for their leader. Dark hair tumbled across her shoulders. Her eyes were as black as obsidian. Reyna. And next to her. And next to her...

    Daria grinned at him and gods, he had missed that smile. It took all his willpower to hold himself back from rushing up to her, a gesture Jason knew she wouldn't appreciate in front of the entire legion. Piper laughed softly beside him, probably at the dazed look in Jason's eyes, but he saw Daria's smile falter slightly as she glanced back and forth, trying to get a gauge on their relationship.

    Piper Mclean and Leo Valdez were his best friends. After everything they had been through, he couldn't imagine this quest without them at his side. But on that bus he had woken up with Daria's name pulsing in his blood. She had nothing to be jealous about; not that he could tell her that at the moment.

Reyna and Daria approached their little group cautiously. Reyna was forcing a look of courage, while holding back a mixture of hopefulness and worry and fear that she couldn't show in public. Jason remembered the expression fairly well. Daria blinked, and the focused look on her face was familiar too, her eyebrows drawn together as she concentrated. She was now within an arm's length, turning away from him to train her eyes on the clear leader: Annabeth.

The three girls considered each other. Annabeth's friends fanned out on either side. The Romans murmured Jason's name, staring at him in awe.

Then someone else appeared from the crowd, and Annabeth nearly did a double-take.

So this was Percy Jackson.

    The son of the sea god, who had also apparently been promoted to the legion's praetor in a span of one week, was slightly shorter than Jason was. He walked over to be shoulder-to-shoulder with Jason's girlfriend, donning a sarcastic smile that was eerily familiar to him. Daria glanced up at the dark-haired boy fleetingly, like she was used to the close proximity.

Annabeth seemed to be too stunned to move. Jason waited for a few heartbeats, but nothing happened.

Reyna straightened. With apparent reluctance, she turned toward Jason. "Jason Grace, my former colleague..." She spoke the word colleague like it was a dangerous thing. "I welcome you home. And these, your friends — "

Annabeth probably didn't mean to, but she surged forward. Percy rushed toward her at the same time. The crowd tensed. Some reached for swords that weren't there.

Percy threw his arms around her. They kissed, and Daria made playful eye contact with the tan girl that Jason remembered to be Hazel.

The couple finally pulled away "Gods, I never thought — "

Annabeth grabbed his wrist and flipped him over her shoulder. He slammed into the stone pavement. Romans cried out. Some surged forward, but Reyna shouted, "Hold! Stand down!"

Annabeth put her knee on Percy's chest. She pushed her forearm against his throat.

"If you ever leave me again," she said, her eyes stinging, "I swear to all the gods — " Percy had the nerve to laugh.

"Consider me warned," Percy said. "I missed you, too."

Daria's eyes were radiant, "I like her, Perce."

    Percy smiled back, "Yeah, I like her too." Exactly how close were these two?

Jason cleared his throat, suddenly realizing that things were not how he remembered. Not that he remembered that much anyway. "So, yeah.. . .It's good to be back."

Daria's attention was back on him now and as per usual it  was difficult to get a read on those forest green eyes. Sometimes he couldn't tell if she wanted to kiss him or drop kick him into the valley. He really, really hoped it was the former.

He introduced the Romans to Piper, who looked a little miffed that she hadn't gotten to say the lines she'd been practicing, then to Leo, who grinned and flashed a peace sign.

"And this is Annabeth," Jason said. "Uh, normally she doesn't judo-flip people."

Reyna's eyes sparkled. "You sure you're not a Roman, Annabeth? Or an Amazon?"

Annabeth held out her hand to Reyna and Daria. "I only attack my boyfriend like that," she promised. "Pleased to meet you."

Reyna clasped her hand firmly. "It seems we have a lot to discuss. Centurions!"

A few of the Roman campers hustled forward — apparently the senior officers. Two kids appeared at Daria's side, Hazel and another boy that Jason didn't recognize. He was a burly Asian guy with a buzz cut, about sixteen, Jason's age.

Jason could tell from their body language that they felt close to Daria. They stood next to her protectively like they'd already shared many adventures. Jason had spent his whole life learning to read people. It was a survival skill. If he had to guess, he'd say the big Asian guy was Hazel's boyfriend, though he suspected they hadn't been together long.

There was one thing he didn't understand: what was Hazel staring at? She kept frowning in Piper and Leo's direction, like she recognized one of them and the memory was painful.

Meanwhile, Reyna was giving orders to her officers, "...tell the legion to stand down. Dakota, alert the spirits in the kitchen. Tell them to prepare a welcome feast. And, Octavian — "

"You're letting these intruders into the camp?" A tall guy with stringy blond hair elbowed his way forward. "Reyna, the security risks — "

"We're not taking them to the camp, Octavian." Reyna flashed him a stern look. "We'll eat here, in the forum."

"Oh, much better," Octavian grumbled. Jason hated the disrespect Octavian was constantly toting around, despite the fact that he was scrawny and pale and had three teddy bears hanging from his belt. "You want us to relax in the shadow of their warship."

"These are our guests." Reyna clipped off every word. "We will welcome them, and we will talk to them. As augur, you should burn an offering to thank the gods for bringing Jason back to us safely."

"Good idea," Daria put in. "Go burn your bears, Octavian."

Reyna looked like she was trying not to smile. "You have my orders. Go."

The officers dispersed. Octavian shot Daria a look of absolute loathing. Then he gave Annabeth a suspicious once-over and stalked away.

The rest of the crowd was dispersing along with him. Jason saw Daria murmur something to Reyna who shot her back a timid smile as if to say Okay, but hurry up!

"Hey, Pipes, Leo," Jason said to his friends. They probably knew what was coming, "why don't you two go ahead? I'll catch up with you."

Leo, being Leo, winked back. "You got it, hot stuff." Piper swatted him as they walked in the direction of food.

    Daria was waiting for Jason to reach her, arms crossed. "Left me alone for long enough, Air Head."

    "I," Suddenly Jason couldn't speak. Despite being the son of the sky god, he was losing his breath. His girlfriend was absolutely stunning. Freckles softly dotted her face like stars and her curly hair frizzed around her like it didn't have a care in the world. But he could see the worry in her forest green eyes, worry for him, worry about him.

The last of the Romans were leaving to the forum and Jason figured they had about two minutes alone until Reyna skewered them. "Daria, I-"

"Use your words," she teased him. Jason laughed, unable to stop himself from grinning. He figured Daria thought something was wrong with him, but she pulled him into a hug anyway. Jason buried his face in the crook of his neck, overwhelmed. Oh, he'd missed this.

    "We can have a better reunion on the ship," her voice was shaky, emotional, but the only thing Jason was concerned with, was the fact that it was hers.

    Jason played with his hand. He could feel the deep calluses that came with years of Roman training. "You're one of the Eight then?" He didn't know how important that piece of information was until the tension in his chest had finally released, the first time in eight months.

    His girlfriend of two years rolled her eyes, "Unfortunately you're not getting rid of me for a while. Awful, I know."

    "After the last few months...that sounds wonderful."

    Daria shot him a glance he couldn't read. But it didn't matter right then. He swung their hands together as they walked into the forum. He was home.

If the reunion seemed a little odd and perhaps anti-climatic....who knows?, you might be on to something.

-M

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

7.3K 284 13
──── SAVE ME, SAVE YOU ❝ i'm asking, please, will you tell me your story? i wanna know ❞ ﹙ jason grace x fem!oc ﹚ ﹙ the lost hero; the mark of athena...
51.1K 1.9K 21
( 𝐉𝐀𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 ) ― 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘧𝘶𝘭, 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘴𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 ( jason g...
58.8K 2.2K 23
"Did you just call me a traitor?" The silence, Daria thought, sounded a lot like 'yes'. 4th book in the daria jackson series started: feb 1, 2021 com...
1.4M 48.5K 93
"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes." Season One : Completed Season Two : Completed Season Three : Completed Started : 6th December 2019 Fini...